test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Has Been Your Most Memorable Moments in PnP D&D?

zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
edited February 2013 in Art and Fiction
So, during your adventures as either a Player Character or a Dungeon Master, what has been your most memorable moments in PnP (Paper & Pencil) Dungeons & Dragons? Was it something that happened along the way to free those poor slaves? Mayhap it was a couple specific rounds during a vicious dragon battle? Or maybe it was some particularly nasty traps you had to circumvent? Whatever it was, as long as it not be RoC violating, let's hear what you remember the most!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In our current campaign there was an end-fight at level 5. Mostly custom monsters, of course.

Well DM's dice luck kicked in and I rolled high the whole way through. Bloodied the Paladin early and was pressing the PCs hard and then the Half-Orc Assassin (a Lurker) stepped out of a stone wall and attacked the Cleric. Took her down to negative hitpoints and started dragging her away.

The Bugbear Ranger (Twin Strike build) comes to her rescue and takes the Half-Orc down pretty quick. Then the big Orog (Solo Brute) turns around and hits the Ranager with a double attack (ala Twin Strike). And I rolled a double-crit. I took the Ranger from unbloodied to negatives! LMAO!

It was a pretty sweet battle and very memorable. It's still know as the time I took out the Ranger with Twin Strike :)
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I remember a little while back our lv4 cleric punched an undead cow's nose through its own back end with one of her religious attacks. I don't tell her to go do the laundry anymore....
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In our Greyhawk campaign we discovered a spelljammer ship hidden inside of a mountain cave, restored it and used it as a mobile headquarters for our party for months until it crashed and burned in one epic ship to ship battle. GLORIOUS!

dragonfly_statcard_small.jpg
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    DnD specifically? One fight I'll always remember from a few years back (3.5 edition.) The party was fighting a red dragon. It was a really tough, drawn-out battle. Finally we almost had him! To save his hide he dives down this long shaft to his lair. No stairs. No easy way down at all, and it's about a 50 ft drop (slightly sloped at the bottom.) Then we notice this tower shield made for a large creature and get a really bad idea. SLED CHARGE! All four melee capable characters get out greatswords, polearms, etc and hop onto our make-shift sled. We fly down this drop, readying our weapons and SURPRISE! No more reoccurring villain! XD Love it when PC's surprise the DM for a change! Makes up for my cousin and his "killer DM D20" that loves to kill PC's, and is impossible to get rid of. It's been lost in a woods, thrown out with the trash, and it keeps coming back to haunt us!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    This was something that has, for some reason, stuck in my mind and our little group for many years.

My brother-in-law (before he married my sister) wanted to play for the first time. He decided to be a drow who was setting foot on the surface for the first time. So.. I tried to describe what he saw:

Me: "You see some sort of small, brown furry creature. It has a tail as long as it's body and beady black eyes. You watch as it runs over to a large brown pillar topped with sprawling poles twisting in all directions and at the ends are strange green pieces of paper in the shape of jagged shovel-heads. The creature picks up a small dark brown round object and holds it to it's mouth with both hands and seems to be talking into it but you cannot hear what it is saying."

Brother: "I draw my long sword and kill it."

Me: "Roll initiative, you'll have a surprise modifier to attack"

Having won initiate, my brother-in-law proceeds to roll a critical hit and I inform him: "You hack at the little creature and in two quick and precise swings you first decapitate the creature and then slice it's body in half. The brown ball it seemed to be talking to goes flying and lands by your feet."

Brother: "So, what the heck was that?"

Everyone started laughing but him, so to put him out of his misery, I informed him: "Congratulations, you just totally slaughtered a poor little squirrel that was starting to chew on a walnut. You gain 1 experience."

Ever since, the sentence, "I draw my longsword and kill it," has become a staple by our small group even though he no longer plays with us. A few don't even know where this originated from.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Players finally killing a human sorcerer in our Eberron campaign. He killed 3 out of 4 characters, died, turned into a lich, died again, resurrected (played never discovered how, since it was part of another campaign), killed the last member party of the first party, died again and had his phylactery destroyed after a 2 hours' battle that included: a crazed red dragon, a good vampire lord, the ghosts of the dead characters looking for revenge and a powered ultimate iron golem.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This happened a long time ago and is a bit fuzzy in my memory, and I may not be able to write it down. But when that happened all of my friends were rolling on the floor laughing.

I happened to have a streak of real bad luck - in rarest of form - I had continuously rolled 1 for 5 times. After the combat was over , everybody was either marveling at such rarity or sympathizing with my bad luck except for one of my friend who was after my blood as he almost died.
    So this evil DM we have, he made us separated in a room because for his next scenario he required a dead body in coffin. My friend had secretly conspired with my other teammates that he will kill me, me being most useless rolling 1s. So he brought a lot of acid barrels and made a trap before hand and then invited me in. I had realized I would be killed - I had no weapons either(was playing as fighter).
    So he says go ahead and check. So I went in the trap. He then has to pull on rope. He rolled his first 1(first time I saw him rolling 1). Wasn't a big deal, as I had to go in a room in front of me and come back. So DM gives him a choice - "ok there was a fault and you can go and correct the fault in the trap. That way next time he comes back, you don't have to roll again. That way his ghost also will not suspect you of killing him when he dies."
    And he goes inside the trap and rolls to find the fault - 16! whoa thats high! and then he 'repairs' it - a 1! The trap triggers and he is caught in it. However he has good armor protecting him from acid so it is not a problem, however our DM was really evil.
    "The walls are going to cave in as pillars are being dissolved in acid and all. Would you like to support the wall with strength check or would you like to run?"
    And there is a big discussion that if he supports the wall I will come in the hallway and maybe I will save him, but he reasoned correctly that I will leave and run away. So he decides to run hoping that being caved in the room, I will die of hunger.
    So he rolls the dice saying that he jumps out of the trap and runs away as DM informs him that the roof is just about to collapse. He rolls 1. And DM says "You are crushed as the roof falls on your leather armor." - He had resistances against fire and acid but no protection against being crushed. But he did not die, he sat there trapped. Slowly his armor dissolved in the acid and acid seeped into skin and he died.
    As for me, I was able to spot a passage in my room and because my PC had "wanderlust weapon master" background, I decided to explore it. So I never "knew" my party mate was dying. Because of the presence of that passage I had realized that the trap scenario was the plan of DM all along - after all he wanted at least one body.

I had kept that dice with me to remind me of that day when rare probabilities met together to create an exciting adventure. But after looking at that dice so many time, I onder if it is the incorrect distribution in the weight of the dice itself which makes it roll 1s.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not technically D&D, but it is the same rule system: d20 Modern.

Part I

The following took place over about two 4 hour sessions.

So here's the setting: Players are government agents for Paranormal Science Investigation (PSI), a secret division of the FBI that handles paranormal threats within the borders of the USA. In the campaign thus far the PCs have been investigating the pending invasion of a parallel dimension into this one.

The local extra-dimensional critters look something like this (minus the marketing text on the left, of course):
    m730140a_99120106019_TyranidTrygonM.jpg
    My players affectionately call these things "psychoclaws," partly based off of appearance and also because I use the stats for velocipedes to run them in combat. They also fight in packs. What's worse is their more humanoid counterparts have frighteningly powerful psychic abilities the PCs have barely survived against at this point.

The players usually work out of the branch office in New York City, but this time they've been sent up to Cambridge, MA to check up on a little project MIT's been cooking up: teleportation machines. 'Course, they need a guinea pig, and who better than a group of 4 intrepid player characters? At this point in the campaign I've basically used adverse conditioning to make them nervous at everything I say. One of them commented to me, "Just when you think it can't get any worse something awful happens!" So, the PCs...after bottling their fear, teleport to the Cambridge branch office. Everybody's in one piece. Phew, that didn't go so bad.

With orders from NY to supplement the security at the teleporter facility and to protect a certain scientist that knows how to make all the teleporters run, the PCs find themselves on an elevator listening to bad instrumental Sheryl Crow, when the lift stops at a floor on the way up to let on more passengers. A lot of passengers. Ten other agents of PSI pile into the elevator and it's like a can of sardines all of a sudden.

Then all the other agents pull out their stun guns and proceed to electrocute the PCs into unconsciousness. In the crammed elevator there's no place to run. To the PCs' credit, however, they did manage to take out about 40% of the opposition before slumping over like sacks of potatoes. At this point it was obvious to the players that their sister branch in Cambridge had been compromised and the Things from the parallel dimension had control of their comrades.

Sometime later, the PCs awoke in a dark, small space, hands tied to the metal chairs they were sitting in and weapons gone. After a little prodding around they determined there was a door nearby and that they were in a vehicle, specifically an armored car. They weren't moving, however, and when one PC got the bright idea to try to (with the chair hanging under him that he was tied to) force the door with his shoulder, they all got a "Shut up and sit down or else" comment from the guards posted outside the vehicle. Gathering their combined strength (and some phenomenal Strength checks) the whole group of PCs rushed/hobbled at the door (chairs in all) and crashed them open with a their shoulders. They all failed their Reflex saves to not fall uncerimoniously out of the armored truck in a pile of bodies and bent chairs, however. But everybody was too busy patting themselves on the back to notice.

Then the "or else" kicked in and the pair of guards, armed with assault rifles, won initiative and proceeded to unload a volley of bullets on our intrepid player characters. Rata-tat-tat. Fortunately, they're player characters, so they're made of sterner stuff than us common folk. The PCs recognize at this point that they're in some sort of sub-sub basement in the Cambridge branch--the kind of place where nobody will hear them scream. After that things went in every direction.

One PC (William) dragged his sorry carcase (along with the chair he was attached to) under the armored car. He'd earlier manifested psychic powers in the campaign and proceeded to fire pyrokinetic fire rays blindly from his fingers (which are tied behind his back, further tied to the back of the chair) at the feet of the guards. While under the armored car the space is too small for him to sit up so he additionally does so lying on his side. Pew, pew, pew! He gives one of them a hot foot once or twice.

Player number two (Heather) gets to her feet...or as much as one can get to their feet when strapped to a chair, then hobble/runs around to the far side of the armored truck. It's great object to have between one's self and automatic weapon fire, she figures. Unfortunately for her, one of the guards gives chase.

Player three (Terry) has a history of being reckless even in the face of massive opposition. He rushes headlong at the remaining guard (still taking gunfire) and proceeds to clobber the guard to unconscious and bleeding over the next few round with the aluminum chair he's tied to. Improvised weapon and situational stat penalties didn't have anything on mindless vengeance.

Player four (John) had a very tech savvy character. He hobbled over to the cab of the armored truck and awkwardly got the passenger door open. He then hoisted himself bodily onto the seat onto his side (again, with the chair attached, so he was crammed in real good). After a series of awkward contortions he, with his high Dexterity, got his hands free of his bonds and popped a panel of the dash open, yanked out the wires and began to hotwire the armored truck.

Meanwhile, Heather is doing her best to stay out of the line of fire of the remaining guard. There's no place to run except around the truck in this open, concrete, florescent lit room, so she and her chair do so as best they can.

On top of that, John is still tied to a chair, stuck in the cab despite having his hands free. He couldn't get out without help and even though at this point he has it in gear, he's got to get to the accelerator to move the truck, so he wiggles himself and his chair onto the floor board and just lays on the pedals.

Just ahead, Heather hears the armored truck engine roar to life and she dives out of the way just in time as the vehicle zooms by and plows the guard chasing her into the concrete. Hasta la vista, baby.

(Yay, I wrote more than 10,000 characters. Time to split this)
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Part II

Finally free to remove themselves from their chairs, the PCs regroup and eventually find their confiscated weapons and equipment further in the building. They decide they can't stay and aren't sufficiently equipped to save the Cambridge branch, and quickly discover they can't get past the invaders' psychic telecommunication blockers. There's also the matter of the key scientist they were supposed to protect. He's got to be evacuated, too.

They do, however, manage to make it back to the teleportation facilities with their newly acquired armored truck without incident. Guess the bad guys didn't think they'd actually get out.

In the facility, they descend to the sub-basement (seeing a trend here?) where the teleporter they arrived on is located. They take the elevator in this building down...down (no stun guns ambush this time) and find the scientist unaware of the compromise of security. Seems the bad guys haven't gotten this far just yet. 'Course...the PCs realize this only too late and suddenly the power to the whole building is cut. Everything goes dark and the emergency lights kick on.

Terry volunteers to climb the maintenance ladder of the elevator shaft and scout ahead. In the dim, red emergency light he creeps through the hallway of the ground floor above and comes face-to-face with a psychoclaws! The creature nearly turns Terry into a leaky piece of meat before he sends it packing with his trusty Desert Eagle hand cannon. He descends back underground to tell the other PCs that the power outage was surely the result of the extradimensional portals blowing the electrical system as at least one psycho claws forced its way onto this plane of existence. They'd seen this kind of thing before.

Knowing now what's ahead, the PCs split into two. John and Heather take the scientist and make a break for the armored truck. Terry and William decide to go hunting...using themselves as bait. Setting up at the end of a conference room that connects to an even longer hallway, William breaks out his bipod and his .50 caliber sniper rifle. He uses a psychic signal and Terry makes a lot of noise to draw the errant psychoclaws to them, and when it comes charging down this long stretch of hallway to murder them, KA-BAAAAMACUS! William blows it (and the windows from the concussion) out of existence.

Everybody rendezvous at the armored car, patting each other on the back. Then the portal storms happen and the cavalry arrives. More psychoclaws! Looks like the bad guys are onto their escape. Everybody piles into the armored car. William's at the wheel. Terry's at the passenger. The scientist and Heather are crammed between them. John's in the back cabin where they were originally locked up as prisoners.

They take off speeding through the parking garage, swerving around the cars, smashing through the ones they can't avoid. Unfortunately, these things are fast. Fast! Forty miles per hour and they're still catching up. Two of them make sprinting leaps and latch onto the driver's and passenger's side doors. In the meantime, more are gaining. Terry and Heather open up with pistols-a-blazing, filling the huge monstrosities with hot lead as they hang on to the sides of the armored vehicle like homicidal can-openers from Hell. John kicks open the rear door (while the vehicle's still in motion) and unloads with his fully automatic machine pistol on the two psychoclaws quickly gaining on them from behind.

Bam-Bam-Bam-Bam, Heather and Terry manage to dismember their respective creatures enough that they fall off the truck in angry piles of chitin and ichor. Clear of the parking garage and the hanging weight of the monstrosities, William floors the accelerator and they put distance between themselves and the Cambridge facilities.

Some hours later, somewhere between Cambridge and New York, the PCs check into a rinky-dink motel for the night. They've got to get back to the New York branch and warn them their Cambridge comrades have been compromised. This far out it's not hard to get a phone to work and send the message...but that doesn't mean they're free and clear yet. They're not safe until they're back in the Big Apple.

That night the psychically controlled PSI agents from Cambridge catch up to them--a squad from Department 6, the "Heavies"--who serves a similar function as SWAT for PSI. William lays down the fire from the motel room window on the vehicles outside while Terry, John, and Heather take out the infiltrating officers from strategic positions.

Gathering their wits, bandaging their wounds, and leading that key scientist, the team of PCs survives the ambush, makes it to morning, and floors it to Manhattan, where they check in with their superiors and gear up for an all out assault on the Cambridge branch in full force. No extra dimensional aliens attacks my planet and gets away with it, son.

Michael Bay ain't got nothin' on this.
  • sonofkyusssonofkyuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    In our Greyhawk campaign we discovered a spelljammer ship hidden inside of a mountain cave, restored it and used it as a mobile headquarters for our party for months until it crashed and burned in one epic ship to ship battle. GLORIOUS!

Greyhawk AND spelljammer goodies....you just made my day :D

I have had so many different DnD times that I can not begin to write them all....Here's two I always give when asked about such stories - both are 2nd Edition D&D:

First one is with me as a player running a cleric of Glangeddin who found himself with his party trapped in Ravenloft. The DM had a huge campaign (we are still playing it - yes in 2nd edition ;) ). Now this DM loves dramatic touches and live roleplaying so Turning attempts are not just "I turn undead" and roll the dice - you stand up and act it. The better your small dialogue the better the bonus (or the penalty) he applies in your check. Anyway - we are accosted by 4 wraiths in Ravenloft with PC levels making this fight a possible Total Party Kill. I step in front and smiling to him I say that I will try to turn them knowing full well that he will probably say it is impossible in this land. He says you cna do it with a natural twenty only. So I give a one time performance with an amazing impromptu speech summoning the ale drops of Clangeddin's beard and other nice dwarven euphemisms to drive the creatures back - while physically standing up and shouting the litany- and roll ... a natural twenty!!!! The exhilaration of the party was just amazing back then...

The other story I will always remember is for an ancient now Greyhawk campaign I ran - about 15 years ago. I have this friend of my brother join us and play a barbarian from the north and he gives him the true barbarian feel - no shiny coins, no magic - nothing. So one of my regular players (playing a thief) asks the barbarian to join the party as his bouncer/protector and with good roleplaying between the two decide that paying in coins ir shares of loot is useless to the barbarian so he just gets skins and hides. What follows is a real life year of a campaign where the guy actually plays along and never requests magical items unless being forced to take something like a healing potion or druidic/tribal items that they could (via roleplaying in game) convince him to keep. Whenever they find treasure the Thief is vocal about keeping shares of the barbarian for him and so on... The campaign I had written had a small break where upon the PCs would be plane shifted to Forgotten Realms and sent to Myth Drannor for training and buffing up (I had essentially used the boxed set that was out there back then as a setting for a mini campaign of buffing the PCs with loot before going back after main antagonist in Greyhawk). In that boxed set there is A LOT of loot. And a REALLY BIG DRAGON. They do manage to find this huge specimen of a red dragon - luckily AFTER they have stocked up in loot and power- and they take him on. After a battle of almost a session where there were challenges and tricks by the dragon they effectively corner it and slay it. If anyone has the booklet form the boxed set they will remember the loot - a page and a half dedicated in treasure/ This was a first time for this party (I am not a monty haul DM so I usually don't hand out so much treasure - but this campaign needed them fully stocked in treasure and magic) so I give them the bookelt opened in that page and bask in the looks of their faces. they are litteraly jaw dropped and drolling over the pages already arguing or splitting who gets what; when -I think my brother- remembers the barbarian -his out of game friend- who as always stands aside and pays no attention. This time there is so much loot and magic that even the thief wants the guy to get something and they all invite him over the book ....I will never forget his look or his words...Calmly and with the indifference that his barbarian Grog had always roleplayed for one year of real life gaming he looks at them and says "No...Grog gets hides!"....And he then ask them to find a way to teleport the humongous Red Dragon to their acquaintances and then to find ways to utilize the skin for armor , shield , weapons ....PRICELESS!
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hard to say but a funny thing happened in the last one I played, 3.5

I was a druid and had a wolf companion. At one point when rolling treasure the rogue found a ring of climb/swim +3 i believe. Well I won the role of first treasure pick so I chose the ring and he hated my character from then on. He swore to kill my wolf but was never able to.

Well at one point we were fighting a couple dire wolves and after the first everyone had a good bit of damage on them and suddenly the party starts rooting for the dire wolf as he attacks my wolf. Well quickly my wolf reaches low HP so I decide something no one expected. I attack the dire wolf in the hopes of making it bleed out. Once it reached negative HP I tell the party that I am going to keep the animal charmed and take it as a companion(a couple of us had charm creature spells so we could have kept it charmed throughout the ritual). I know decide to use a low healing spell on the Dire Wolf to prevent its death. The DM said I healed it to much and it ran off.
    Funny thing about this We never saw another dire wolf... Hmm???
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Reposting here from a separate thread to keep stories together:

A long time after we got to sigil and a few character swaps later (due to the dm's girlfriend) my character at the time was an Arak'Shee Bard (specialized in diplomacy) that'd followed the other adventurers through the door from ravenloft to Sigil. I heard about the Lady of Pain and how although she was the deity of sigil she didn't like to be bothered. At one point we got in way over our heads and I thought it'd be in our best interest to get help. I rolled like normal for deific intervention and rolled a diplomacy check of 87. The DM described it like I'd just blew an air horn in her ear from the front of a train going through her living room.

Well she appeared in front of us, quite unhappy. She dealt with our trouble but things went from bad to worse because although she helped us she then decided we needed to be killed too. One of the other players happened to be in the area and saw the commotion. He came to our aid and didn't know anything about the Lady of Pain. He saw that we were in trouble so he leapt to our defense. She basically chopped one of his legs off with a whip of her hand. He still didn't know every detail but wouldn't be deterred. What ensued was a balance check, to stand on one leg, a jump check to reach her and finally an attack roll at the Lady and swinging full force into her. Understand this was a Goliath with the biggest hammer we could make him have (which was, well, ludicrous size (blame the dm's girlfriend, it was complicated)). The dm said we'd never hit her, she's basically a god here and doesn't even have stats. He rolled a 20......the dm crapped a brick.

We then rolled and tallied up the damage, around 350 (it was a monkey, don't ask). It took a minute for him to come up with this... As the hammer contacted her square on the mask the whole of Sigil began to quake. A rift sundered the ground and broke off a quarter of the grand city of doors leaving gaping chasms in the roads and buildings crumbled to the ground. As the hammer slowly reversed its path from the bladed lady cracks were seen running the length of her face just as the city itself. "For your transgressions you will not die so easily. No, you are to be locked away in My dungeon." She raised her hand and pillars grew around us as the entire block was teleported with us to an endless expanse of semiexistance in a state of purgatory.

Those particular characters are still there and any time we go to Sigil in any of our games it's got a big chunk of it floating off away from the rest. Good times indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    It was 3.5, we used the 3.0 books and monkeyed the stats to sort of retrofit an "as a player" category.
    Back in our first setting the dm's girlfriend had been having "special sessions" with the DM and wound up getting several levels worth of xp. She was the first to switch, our exploits in Ravenloft were quite the story. Her character became the Darklord's lover and my character was sworn to kill him. She became very nearly evil and my character became...Batman. It took a session or two of a siege on a fort we'd repaired for the darklord to show up but when he did we started breaking out the awesome. I was an elven ranger with a dabble in wizard for arcane archer. She was a half vistani sorcerer i think, it didn't see alot of combat, she mostly was there for RP.
    Well anyway when the darklord showed up and we dealt with the trash she went out for him and I initiated combat, basically the whole-hearted red-in the-eyes sort, we were both getting torn up but there was plenty of the resourceful kind of awesome you only get at tabletop, including blind shots over a 20 ft wall that pegged him in the shoulder as he's monologuing about how pointless fighting him is. He retreated then came back with a 5 year old girl hostage, I make up a curse that I'd spent the time away from game to write so it was perfect, percentile wise I had a 25% shot to make it work by rules even voluntarily failing the corruption...I failed the check, the dm let me reroll, I failed 3 more times, then the dm says "you know what, you pass, that was awesome". The effect was he can no longer touch females with his bare hands or it feels like fire.
    So he drops the girl I shoot him a few times and he runs off, i jump down from the wall onto a horse, chase him to a river where I find him and the girlfriend on the opposite side and the bridge floating away. I cast expedious retreat on myself and jump...botching...fall in halfway across and struggle a few rounds while he's laughing at me till I can manage to get off a jump spell at which point I'm able to get a foot hold jump out of the water while shooting him mid air and landing on the side with him. He goes back werewolf form and I pull out my sword.
    We go at it and the girl casts darkness on us. All she can do is watch as the sounds of tooth claw and sword go back and forth with scratches howls cuts and rips are the only thing able to penetrate the darkness. Eventually it all goes silent as she sees me drag his dead corpse out of the ebon cloud and drop him in the mud. We stopped there for the night but when we came back the dm rolled up who'd be the new darklord. She had 100 I had 99 and then everything else was something random. As it goes, she got picked and since she'd become a werewolf from earlier she became the new pack leader for the country while my character swore his life to exterminate the lycans. However because of the weird sort of roleplaying we'd done it was decided that my character would never be able to bring himself to actually kill her.
    So her character was removed from player control and I thought it best that my character also be, not thinking that I'd be able to continue his mission and help the story at the same time. So we both had to roll up characters and she went crazy, with the help of being in the dm's pants. She was Half-nymph undead construct paladin, perhaps i'm missing a few templates, really crazy and not really following any rules but it didn't matter. It had a really convoluted backstory that I only partially remember, i tried to block it out since it was just an excuse to minmax the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of whatever could (or couldn't) be done all the while still having special sessions for extra levels. So as time went on she kept <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> us over using diplomacy and I decided to make something to counter her, hence an arak'shee (VrGtSF) bard that I actually really liked, including a picture and a 2 page bio.
    So I specialized as heavy as I could in diplomacy and we made my friend a goliath combat monkey since both me and the girl would be sub-par in that area. We got a few levels there and went on to sigil where XP came a bit faster, I think I was around 14-16 at the time of the Lady of Pain story. It was hyperspecialized and had items, magic spells, racial bonuses, feats and everything I could legally stack aimed at one thing, keeping the girl from <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> us. It wound up being a fun little contest when me and her wanted very different things from the same people. You'd think it was Gangs of New York in Sigil with two people on opposite sides of the street up on soapboxes alternating the crowds between two extremes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    ** New story starts here**

There was another story that comes to mind with a different DM. I was a fox kaitif scout (he'd made up a whole list of subtypes for the new race, think hengeyokai without shape shifting or basically the left one here) We'd managed to keep the game going for a bit but always had a recurring villain that only I ever got a good look at. Eventually after thwarting him several times he changed his tactic; he'd try to befriend us.

We found him, disguised, on the side of a road in a sort of "bad situation" but I recognize something odd about him rather quickly. However, before I'm able to tell the rest of my party about my suspicions he casts a spell on me, the dm hands me a note that says, "you think he honestly has your best interests in mind." So I write back on it, "OK, but I don't have to like it." So a few days go by and sure enough we get set up. The dm describes us being taken hostage and tied up to chairs in a big log cabin. The villain, having thought us defeated, starts monologing for what seems like an eternity and I have time to think, which is never good.

I tap the other players and hand them a note to pass around, sort of a party wide nod and pass a different one to the dm but I have it face down, on top it says "not yet". As the villain comes to the end of his grand scheme he's talking about all this stuff that he knows blah blah blah. I'm looking down to the floor and kind of choke back a laugh and I sort of give him this devilish grin, the kind you only get when you know you're about to win, and I say, "Yeah, you know all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but You know what else, I know some things even you don't know." I get that grin again and he walks over in front of me and puts his hand under my chin so I have to look him square in the eyes. "Oh, you wouldn't want to die with secrets, would you?" he says. I reply with a smile, "Of course not, apparently neither do you. Since you've shared yours, here's mine. The villain always monologues before he dies." He stands up straight and laughs loud enough to make your ears ache. When he calms down I cut him off before he can say any more, "there is one more thing." I start to whisper so he can't hear. He leans in real close so I could smell his breath and he says, "one more time?" I say, "You forgot to take our weapons" as I stab him in the gut and rip him open.

The dm laughs and turns over the note I handed him earlier that explains my using a wrist blade to cut the ropes. He's sworn never to forget that one critical detail when capturing prisoners again. Later on we found out this guy has clones and killing one doesn't affect the story and sure enough, the next time we were captured he took our weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    I'd like to hear more stories...ENTERTAIN ME!!!:mad:
    ok ok breathe in ... breathe out

So I'll tell another but this one is shorter than my others

It was later in 3.5 and I'd played a swashbuckler, my favorite class, for a few short games and had been heavily combat oriented. One of my friends said I only played it because they were overpowered (which any class can be if done properly but it wasn't even my intent). We started in on a monster vs humanoids kind of game and I played a catfolk. So in my mind I'm kind of a Puss in Boots character but a bit darker.

The first encounter we had was a couple of humans in fullplate. After we take them out, which was really so quick it wouldn't have mattered the power ratings, we make sure to take their armor which the dm had specifically said covered every inch of them. We meet up with the rest of our band which consists basically of a shantytown of refugees that had been run out by the humans taking over the area. Since there were so many "people" supplies were getting short. We were told of a human fort with lots of supplies not a days ride out and a dangerous plan to try to take it out. I look them in the eye and say "scrap that, leave it to us." The other players give me that, you've got to be kidding look but don't back out.
    The next day we pack up on horses and I tell them to pack the scrap armor. They suddenly see where we're going but don't like it since I'm "only good at combat". We get to within a half an hour ride from the fort and I tell them to put on the armor making sure I have the highest rank and they facepalm but I tell them just to let me do the talking and keep the helmets on. We get stopped at the gates but I'm able to persuade them that we're an audit crew sent out to requisition and redistribute supplies as needed across the local region's forts after an inventory. I also managed to convince them that we had to keep our helmets on due to new security implementations that only affected noncombat posts, such as bookkeeping, while traveling in combat zones.
    We set about counting everything in their fort, usually making remarks like, "really?! you have how many?" After half the day was spent we tell them we'll have to redistribute much of their supplies, particularly food immediately. We managed to make out with not only food and weapons but with carts, horses, and oxen to carry it all and the refugees for a good while into safety.

Extended checks are fun.
    On a plus side they haven't questioned my characters' RP ability since.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • atherratherr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55
    edited December 2012
    So many. Top three were:

1. Making Frienships with Centaurs.
    2. Getting the Holy Avenger Sword
    3. Surviving Against the Giants module.
    edited December 2012
    [Read at your own risk]
    So something happened recently. We were playing 4e campaign in FeyWild and we had a pixie pet with our mage. The fairy pet was supposed to sneak in a place and get a key but unexpectedly we were stopped and asked to empty our pockets. Now fighting was not an option and those who have played a 4e feywild campaign may understand (the DM can turn you into a newt anytime if you break the rule).

So we were in a fix as we had to steal that item before sunset or one of our party member would sleep forever in the embrace of dryad tree.

So we were very nervous but mage and DM whispered something and we were told that fairy was not found in the pockets. We asked the mage how he did it in that anti-magic zone but he won't tell. After the game, we kept pressing and the DM then spoke to us like this, "The party members keep badgering the pixie to tell them how he managed to become invisible. Did he fly off or did he used some kind of pixie illusion? They caught a small glimpse of his face."
    (perception check as pixie are small creatures and hard to tell their expression if they are flying away)
    "The pixie had an expression of True Disgust on its face".
    It took us some time to understand ...
    edited December 2012
    When I played a pixie we managed to stop a group of marauding worms from destroying a town (since pixies can speak to all animals) then "take a quest" from them to kill a band of orcs that had been forcing them to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nakisanyenakisanye Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A few moments come to mind. All in 3.0/ 3.5 btw.
    I once played the Deck of Many things for five hands. Lost my soul, cheated death, and got a castle instead. Went to castle, walked around a bit, left for a quest (to get back my soul). The DM asked:
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I see you're having issues. Looks like you might have gotten something copied to your clipboard that isn't pasting correctly or you're using a special character. If you have to copy and paste, first paste into Notepad so it strips anything special that is copied then paste into the word editor here. The forums have a bug that deletes non QWERTY US-Keys and everything following. Also, sometimes things don't paste correctly into the editor and will bug it up like this. Click the top left most button, the small a and big A button to raw edit out hidden characters that are breaking the post.
    edited January 2013
    copy pasted from notepad, same result.. oh well

So the DM asked: "so you guys are just gonna leave the castle here huh?" When we came back, we found it overrun (of course).

Another time my character was making a move at a princess. Turned out she was a thousand year old lich.
    On many occasions we had to stop the wizard from coming on to power peoples daughters. On an equal amount of occasions we had to stop the wizard from telling their fathers. This one time we were too late and the rest of the party was just like "Eh.. yeah.. we had nothing to do with that, and we don't really know this guy anyway.. So.. we will be off now!"
    edited January 2013
    So I joined a campaign once via some guy I had found online. He had a game going and was looking for two more players so I joined the game. When I got there it was just the three of us: me, the guy, and a girl. The other guy was late or a no show, Im not sure, but anyways, the girl was another player (she played a half-elf bard) and was doing a very strange gather information. It involved sexual innuendo at first, which was.. okey I guess. I mean, as a female bard Im sure she was charismatic and good at getting what she wanted. But it didn't stop there. The DM and the character were getting into all sorts of details about how she got people to get them the info, and at some point I wasn't even sure where my character was (inside, outside? ).

(note that I haven't mentioned what or who I was playing that game. This is because I have no clue)

Luckily it only lasted for like ten minutes so the game continued and we went on to do something remotely interesting, but alas, again we had to figure something out. This time the innuendo turned into the real deal and I'm not talking about pecks and snuggles.

As for me as a player, I wasn't too sure anymore what I was invited for. But the two of them creeped me out!

Maybe they were a couple.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Don't use the advanced edit ONLY use the basic edit with this posting text or type the whole thing out manually. I won't go into the character steps for BB code-only post editing but not posting as it's way too esoteric and by the time you realize you need it, it's a long and tedious affair Feel free to go to "Source Mode" and try if you want, but we'll likely have to start merging and deleting posts/empty posts if you don't get it exactly right.

Or, if a post fails, edit it but DON'T ADVANCED EDIT IT! Then, use the REMOVE FORMAT on ALL the text before posting it, then save it and try again. Remember, NO special code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    yes by all means delete/merge this mess. The thing is: my text appears black on top of a black background so I'm basically typing blind (which I why went into the whole copy-past thing to start with). Many apologies! Also the edit button works, but when I hit save, nothing happens.

EDIT: Thanks gillrmn, everything seems to work now.

May have been adblock messing about or javascript not loading properly. Before, there was no menu, no buttons, no options, etc.
    edited January 2013
    Another campaign, after 8 months of playing, nearly ended in a TPK, after my halfling rogue scouted ahead by himself and found himself petrified by a Medusa.
    Trapped in a dungeon, with no real way out, (and without a rogue!) the rest of the party continued for a few hours until they ran into some undead alligators and four magical seals. After activating one seal ‘air’, an air elemental appeared. After two of these seals, the wizard was 'tired' and didn't have a lot of spells left, so he refused to climb down. In fact, everyone was in pretty bad shape!

The fighter, somewhat new to PnP and D&D, pushed him down to encourage him. As this was a 50ft. drop, the wizard did not take kindly to this 'motivation', and he threw a fireball back while falling. Hit in the crossfire: the cleric threw a phantasmal killer at the wizard, who saved on both Will and Fort. Now up against two, the wizard activated the seal and a fire elemental appeared. The fighter, cleric and wizard now joined forces to combat this new threat. Somehow, and I don't quite remember the details, the fighter and the cleric died fighting and the wizard was the only one left standing. The wizard was able to teleport away with the cleric’s body (not sure if he couldn't take the fighters body or if he just didn't feel like it).

The wizard had the cleric raised at a temple and they appeared to set their differences aside. When the two of them returned to the dungeon, they saved my rogue from being petrified. We looked for the fighter, but only found an arm here, a leg there, near the undead alligators.
    That's what you get from messing with a LE Necromancer!

(also, I believe the whole affair could have been averted if the fighter had only done the dishes-like he promised he would)
    edited January 2013
    nakisanye wrote: »
    yes by all means delete/merge this mess. The thing is: my text appears black on top of a black background so I'm basically typing blind (which I why went into the whole copy-past thing to start with). Many apologies! Also the edit button works, but when I hit save, nothing happens.

You can try to change color and use WYSIWYG mode of editor. [button on leftmost of toolbar]
    edited January 2013
    This made me remember the time when we were drunk and playing D&D. We had a wizard, me cleric and a fighter. There was an NPC rogue too (and fifth player ditched us). The rogue was played by DM.

The problem was, we had one too many beer (it was authentic Trappist beer from my Belgian friend and very nice). So everybody kept forgetting what they were doing and dozing off in between. I clearly remember completing the quest, yet when next day I was clearing the tables, I had a look at character sheets. The rogue had Turn undead ability, Fighter had a lay on hands ... all the rest was encrypted in some language unknown to mankind.

STR:- a doodle of sunflower
    Saves, fortitude:- a small drawing of orc.
    inventory:- A surprisingly and realistic and beautiful drawing of one of the popular actress (realistic as with one look you would know its her).

Well, frankly I don't remember the game at all, but I am sure it would have been the best game of my life. For the most surprising thing was, my own character sheet and other notes were completely empty.
  • comenplaycomenplay Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My most memorable moment in pen and paper D&D was in a little quest from Dungeon Magazine, calle The Lady of the Mists..I was using my favorite character, a blade bard, and was tumbling all around a group of zombies, and slipped in some mud, and almost got pummelled to death!!
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I remember playing the Ravenholdt module when it first came out. Poor Strahd never had a chance because our little group was in our munchkin phase. Using Dungeon magazine supplemental rules, our party had a half-giant fighter, cavalier and a samurai. We hit Strahd so hard the first round, he turned to gas. We had already found his coffin so our little band dragged it out into the open and waited for the sun to shine.

RP wise, I will always be fond of our trek through Krynn with the Dragonlance series.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nakisanye wrote: »
    Another campaign, after 8 months of playing, nearly ended in a TPK, after my halfling rogue scouted ahead by himself and found himself petrified by a Medusa.
    Trapped in a dungeon, with no real way out, (and without a rogue!) the rest of the party continued for a few hours until they ran into some undead alligators and four magical seals. After activating one seal ‘air’, an air elemental appeared. After two of these seals, the wizard was 'tired' and didn't have a lot of spells left, so he refused to climb down. In fact, everyone was in pretty bad shape!

The fighter, somewhat new to PnP and D&D, pushed him down to encourage him. As this was a 50ft. drop, the wizard did not take kindly to this 'motivation', and he threw a fireball back while falling. Hit in the crossfire: the cleric threw a phantasmal killer at the wizard, who saved on both Will and Fort. Now up against two, the wizard activated the seal and a fire elemental appeared. The fighter, cleric and wizard now joined forces to combat this new threat. Somehow, and I don't quite remember the details, the fighter and the cleric died fighting and the wizard was the only one left standing. The wizard was able to teleport away with the cleric’s body (not sure if he couldn't take the fighters body or if he just didn't feel like it).

The wizard had the cleric raised at a temple and they appeared to set their differences aside. When the two of them returned to the dungeon, they saved my rogue from being petrified. We looked for the fighter, but only found an arm here, a leg there, near the undead alligators.
    That's what you get from messing with a LE Necromancer!

(also, I believe the whole affair could have been averted if the fighter had only done the dishes-like he promised he would)

Hehe, I'm guessing the "fighter" is married or in a long-term relationship?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]