test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Signature & Avatar Thread

zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
edited July 2015 in Art and Fiction
The Signature & Avatar Thread
  • Want to test out your signature or avatar and see how it looks beyond the preview function?
  • Want to just show off your signature or avatar?
  • Want to request a signature or avatar from the Community?
  • Want to offer your signature or avatar services to the Community?
  • Want some tips, advice and help from Signature & Avatar Artists?

Well then, this is the thread for you!

Please keep in mind our Signature Restrictions, which includes the entire signature combined, not just the image contained within.
Signature/Avatar Rule Violation
The total signature size must be no larger than 650x250 pixels if it contains an image. The text in the signature may be customized in use on the forums. It is recommended that you stick with readable fonts and colors and that the size is not too large. You may mention websites and ventures that you are in some way related to, as long as they are otherwise appropriate for the community. Strong political and religious sentiments should be kept out of profiles, signatures, and other content in this community. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in an infraction, and the removal of the offending signature or avatar.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Excellent Idea! This thread made me look at the mod's signatures and also add a few "classic" links to the bottom of my own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for posting this but, I got all excited at first thinking we could FINALLY choose our avatars. :/

Excited then bummed! lol :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    faleth77 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this but, I got all excited at first thinking we could FINALLY choose our avatars. :/

Excited then bummed! lol :D

So sorry! However, I did hint at something about that. ;-D
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    So sorry! However, I did hint at something about that. ;-D

[Now Now]

Spoilers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    New Signature! b:victory
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012

Nice, love the Triquetra! Tempted on deciphering your Espruar there! ;)
    edited October 2012
    Nice, love the Triquetra! Tempted on deciphering your Espruar there! ;)

Here is a bigger one and one for your deciphering enjoyment!

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    edited October 2012
    Here is a bigger one and one for your deciphering enjoyment!

J

In the signature, all I could decipher was:
    (spoiler) jade rogue of house kovianthil
    That is awesome how you made the Triquetra spell out your surname! Is that your House Symbol? Your usage of the "I" threw me off until I realized what I was spelling! :P
    (/spoiler)
    Can't make out the pretext to what's before the first spoiler though.

Thanks, I enjoyed that. It has been a while since I deciphered anything! :-)
    edited October 2012
    In the signature, all I could decipher was:
    (spoiler) jade rogue of house kovianthil
    That is awesome how you made the Triquetra spell out your surname! Is that your House Symbol? Your usage of the "I" threw me off until I realized what I was spelling! :P
    (/spoiler)
    Can't make out the pretext to what's before the first spoiler though.

Thanks, I enjoyed that. It has been a while since I deciphered anything! :-)

Nice!

that symbol is indeed the [spoiler/ house symbol of House Korianthil /spoiler]

and the espruar message: [spoiler/ Renegade Rogue of House Korianthil /spoiler]

So very close!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Nice, I see where I went wrong!

(spoiler)Just an friendly note, the "I" you used is a meaning in itself, it literally means "I," or "this person". The correct "I" for spelling is a crescent with a dot in the middle.(/spoiler)

I've been wanting to put some Thorass in my signature but ran out of room. :-(
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I'm really liking your new signature Jade :-D
    Only thing I'd suggest is a fade to black or an elaborate green border to soften the edges. As great as it looks I find my eyes drawn to the straight line edges more than the actual signature.

And we're getting avatars but it might take until 2015.
    edited October 2012
    Only thing I'd suggest is a fade to black or an elaborate green border to soften the edges. As great as it looks I find my eyes drawn to the straight line edges more than the actual signature.

And we're getting avatars but it might take until 2015.

Tried to do a border but it did not look right, will attempt a fade to back once I get back to my pc, on my iPad right now, last few posts in bed.

Avatar in 2015? Probably when James Cameron will be done counting his money made thus far...
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    keeping link for avatar and signature safe here.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Nice new look Jade!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    keeping link for avatar and signature safe here.

Groovy as well Gill ;)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited October 2012
    ... I see where I went wrong! ...
    I made a mystyra star, if like, you can use it. That one always reminds me of selune's star.

sample

p.s. nice taking this line out of context!
    edited October 2012
    I made a mystyra star, if like, you can use it. That one always reminds me of selune's star.

sample

p.s. nice taking this line out of context!

Thank you very much, that looks very nice! Mystra would be proud!

However, I am of a few who still follow the old ways of the Mystryllan faith. We believe that Mystryl is the same entity through out all her incarnations and do not heed the Church's decree of her "name changes." As such, I personally represent such by continuing to use her original holy symbol.

*the mage bows with respect of the beautiful artwork*

((On a side note though and I hate to nit-pick about little things, but for the time-being, all signature images need to be in .jpg format. :-(

If this changes, we will be sure to let everyone know here. I also work in .png format but convert my images. I'm not quite sure why the restriction is in place, I could only speculate.))
    edited October 2012
    Nice new look Jade!

Thanks! Was getting jealous that everyone was getting new clothes/outfits...
    Nice, I see where I went wrong!

(spoiler)Just an friendly note, the "I" you used is a meaning in itself, it literally means "I," or "this person". The correct "I" for spelling is a crescent with a dot in the middle.(/spoiler)

I've been wanting to put some Thorass in my signature but ran out of room. :-(

Must be a dialect thingy! [spoiler/ the capital I in my version of espruar font is the crescent with the dot and the lower case i is the circle within a circle ;-) /spoiler]

Sig saved now in .jpg b:laugh but .png seems to work, what's the difference?

Oh, and how's the fuzzy border?

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Must be a dialect thingy! [spoiler/ the capital I in my version of espruar font is the crescent with the dot and the lower case i is the circle within a circle ;-) /spoiler]

(spoiler)Ah! Yeah, mine does that too. They probably put that in there for consistency with what's in the handbook which depict that rune separately from the alphabet.(/spoiler)

Oh, and how's the fuzzy border?

J

Well, one thing off the top of my head is that PNGs are generally much larger in file size, but when we're dealing with images this small, it takes a good deal to make them very large. For example, my image in PNG is 186kb in size but when I convert it to .jpg and scale it's quality down, I can get it under the 50kb quite easily without loosing much noticeable quality. It could also have something to do with embedding information.

Looks nice, blends in very well! :-)
    edited October 2012
    However, I am of a few who still follow the old ways of the Mystryllan faith. We believe that Mystryl is the same entity through out all her incarnations and do not heed the Church's decree of her "name changes." As such, I personally represent such by continuing to use her original holy symbol. ...

A bit too bright
    I still say its selune's sar though - I made it a bit bluish to distinguish between silver of selune and blue of spellfire - i mean mystra
    edited October 2012

J
    ok, it was about sig...

if you compress png to level 9 compression level while saving, there is not much difference in size of png and jpg for small files. png supports transperency though.
    edited October 2012

Thanks again, I shall keep mine however. The sacred circle must be depicted. ;)

I'll be redoing my whole signature anyway after some time. I'm known for changing my signatures often.

*checks his storage*

101 MB, 490 files in 20 folders of signatures I have made over my MMO years. Not counting the ones I lost over some failed backups and destroyed CDs.

Hello, my name is Zebular and I am a Sig-a-holic.
    edited October 2012
    A bit too bright
    I still say its selune's sar though - I made it a bit bluish to distinguish between silver of selune and blue of spellfire - i mean mystra

I usually try not to reference wiki's, in cases of correct data however and the inability to show you my books: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl

It is only natural her symbol would be similar to Selune's though, considering her origin.
    edited October 2012
    I usually try not to reference wiki's, in cases of correct data however and the inability to show you my books: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl
    yes, actually if you look carefully after zooming, it is infact the same picture which was used to create it. They made the stars which look almost the same except for color. Later they made mystra's stars eight spoke and selune's four spoke.
    edited October 2012
    yes, actually if you look carefully after zooming, it is infact the same picture which was used to create it. They made the stars which look almost the same except for color. Later they made mystra's stars eight spoke and selune's four spoke.

I am well aware, as I said though, I follow the old ways before change. Thy attempt at my conversion shall not be successful! *the mage winks*

((I could really throw it out there though and just use the one again that I use for her in my campaign. :-P ))
    edited October 2012
    I am well aware, as I said though, I follow the old ways before change. Thy attempt at my conversion shall not be successful! *the mage winks*
    arrgghhh.... WIS check failure.

well; another day, another time, another check...

Desaturated and used teh star myself.
    I need sigs in 3d to show perfect location of stars or 'tears' - 2d isn't enough. Can we have 3d sigs please? With a bit of animation like twinkling and stuff?
  • adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    What are the chances of getting one of you talented people to help me develop and make a signature for the campaign that I am creating for the Foundry? I am an art/graphics moron, and it's not entirely fleshed out, so it won't be anything I need quickly and it will be iterative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting one of you talented people to help me develop and make a signature for the campaign that I am creating for the Foundry? I am an art/graphics moron, and it's not entirely fleshed out, so it won't be anything I need quickly and it will be iterative.

Just post some details on how you want it to be.
    edited October 2012
    Nice, love the latest version of the seven stars over the Moon, Gillrmn!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I had always found .png to compress a greater amount for the quality and have used it since the days of NWN1.
    I honestly have absolutely no idea why PWE has set the rules to state all signatures must be in .jpg but rules are rules. I used to love making .gif animated signatures too... *sad*

The fuzzy look is far better though Jade! Especially when you're dealing with nature scenes the man made straight line just distracts the viewer indefinitely. Borders can work but if all else fails fading away will remove the juxtaposition and result in a far better appearance with minimal effort.

Also many of you are using the default setting of left justified text/images. If you wrap the image link with
    you'll have the image appear in the center of your posts which I personally prefer.
    You can do whatever you want, it doesn't phase me, but in case anybody didn't realize that feature existed or how to use it.

Another good resource I actually had to use was TinyURL. Due to my BBCode, image link and several forum links my signature went way over the 300 character count limit. Using TinyURL got reduced my character limit to the point I could likely put at least one more link in my signature if I wanted.

EDIT - Zeb just informed me of goo.gl which results in even shorter links and saves them to your Google Account. Leave it to the guys at Google to take existing tools and making them far better.
    Hate them all you want for becoming an online monopoly, they do it by making things right haha!

EDIT2 - Not fast enough for Gill haha.