test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No offline play

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
Confirmed by Jack Emmert from at least 1 interview:
Q: With Battle.net and Steam out there, will we have to be online to play Neverwinter?

Jack: Yes, you will have to connect to our servers. Just like an MMO, that is a similarity.

Q: So there's no offline play?

Jack: There is no offline play.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

So while NW is not technically being called an MMO, it will behave much like one in this respect.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    This way they can charge you a monthly fee for a game that has no right to do so. :rolleyes:
    edited June 2011
    This way they can charge you a monthly fee for a game that has no right to do so. :rolleyes:

Depends on what kinds of services that monthly fee might bring to the table. We don't know what their business model is.

The basic model of this game strikes me more like guild wars with user generated content so maybe there wont be a sub. Regardless I don't really plan to fret about it. I'll make my decisions based on quality of what I get out of the game.
    edited June 2011

They make the game they can absolutely make it their right to do so.
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    Depends on what kinds of services that monthly fee might bring to the table. We don't know what their business model is.

The basic model of this game strikes me more like guild wars with user generated content so maybe there wont be a sub. Regardless I don't really plan to fret about it. I'll make my decisions based on quality of what I get out of the game.

This game appears to be aiming for heavy UGC. I think access to the Foundry tools will be what you sub for. Foundry takes up a lot of server space. The game will be F2P, but in order to have access to the Foundry tools you have to buy a sub. You can still play Foundry missions for free, but you will not be able to create your own.

But this is just my guess.
    edited June 2011
    This game appears to be aiming for heavy UGC. I think access to the Foundry tools will be what you sub for. Foundry takes up a lot of server space. The game will be F2P, but in order to have access to the Foundry tools you have to buy a sub. You can still play Foundry missions for free, but you will not be able to create your own.

I actually agree with your assessment bob it makes sense :)
    edited June 2011
    This is an MMO, Cryptic is an MMO Studio, why would there be an offline mode? I mean maybe a few options like character creation, or something like that could be offline, but outside of that, it would take the value out of being an MMO.
    edited June 2011
    Breltar wrote: »
    They make the game they can absolutely make it their right to do so.

No they cant. If this isn't an MMO they don't get to add subscription fees to play what is simply an offline game that allows 3-5 friend invites...that line of thinking is absurd. Imagine if Neverwinter Nights I had a subscription fee to access the old gamespy list of PW's.

From what has been described / assumed thus far this game is pretty much the same exact concept as NWN persistant worlds only now we are using 4E, less classes, and new graphics. In addition there is a similar uploading content system called "The Foundry" instead of people posting NWN I and NWN II modules on nwvault.ign.com

I'm not opposed to Neverwinter III's identical game model. Its a good system and not everything needs to be an MMO to be enjoyed, but charging a monthly fee for an offline-lan non-mmo friends invite game will simply mean people wont pay $15 every month for something where they could load up NWN II instead and get for free.

If Cryptic wants to charge a monthly fee there needs to be an active set of Volunteer or Employee DM's on an instanced online server providing storylines and actively managing quests while voicing villains, awarding xp for roleplaying and rewarding players with treasure when adventures are completed.

Or it needs to be developed into a small scale MMO where all players are on 4-5 online servers and connect to instanced pug groups exactly like DDO's style with DM narration and quest objectives automated and then start competing directly with Turbine for userbase.
    edited June 2011
    Keldia wrote:
    If Cryptic wants to charge a monthly fee there needs to be an active set of Volunteer or Employee DM's on an instanced online server providing storylines and actively managing quests while voicing villains, awarding xp for roleplaying and rewarding players with treasure when adventures are completed.

I doubt there'd be a fee but, if there were, modules each month would be great.
    edited June 2011
    I suspect Neverwinter is going to be a bit strangeville as far as it comes for that.

It's set as a cooperative online multiplayer game. It has core content. It has the toolset to allow its users to create new content based on currently available assets.

Cryptic has this game online so that it can be played cooperatively. They offers a live Dev team, regular patch-given improvements, and they need to police/moderate user interaction within such a setting as well.

It appears disingenuous to me to but Foundry authors under the strain of having to pay more in order to be able to make new content that others can enjoy. "Pay us for the priviledge of making content which the rest of the playerbase can more freely enjoy" - I honestly doubt it.

The current example models we have are:
    Guild Wars - purchase box, pay nothing afterwards save for expansions and microtransactions.

Champions Online - Free to Play with limited options and setting access, digital download, pay via microtransaction to open desired features, subscribe to have access to a monthly set of priviledges (generally axed toward content access and a few quality-of-life features).

Star Trek Online - Pay for box/account key, pay and subscribe for online play accessing most of the content, pay via microtransactions for additional options/cosmetic features/services.

The STO method would work. It would keep the live Dev team financially sustained and busy making new stuff to make the subscription even more 'worth it'.

The Guild Wars approach would be the most familiar to people whom only pay for the boxes and only meant to pay for those and that was it. In those cases, it means that they'll be stuck with paying the expansion packs themselves when they come out - or miss out on content and features. It also implies less game improving patches from the Dev team, and high box prices.

The free-to-play approach has a lot of strings attached into getting quality content, as I see it, and I'd much rather not see it.

Me personally, I prefer subscription based, and I'd likely go for a lifetime subscription so that I can never have to worry about it again.
    edited June 2011

Makes sense. Or perhaps it is access to UGC that you pay for. Or... There is nothing to say for example that there will be no subscription fee but instead there is a cash shop for things like new character slots, new classes, premium modules, content authoring slot, etc. Just no pay to win stuff please...
    edited June 2011
    I like the direction Cryptic has been going. CO and STO are my two favorite games.

+1 Lifetime Subscription
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    Makes sense. Or perhaps it is access to UGC that you pay for. Or... There is nothing to say for example that there will be no subscription fee but instead there is a cash shop for things .
    IMO:
    Given that WOTC likes to sell the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of new classes (4th edition is as overwrought with classes as 3rd edition was about prestige ones), I think that everything from races, vanity gear, modules, and classes will be sold.

It'll be a box-to-play but with an item shop strictly leveraging that new races, class powers, and artwork are what UGC games thrive on and develop around (i.e. selling stuff for our characters that we'll use for free in the toolset).
    edited June 2011
    Well, I must say: Guild Wars' model worked great. So much so they are using the same model for Guild Wars 2. Many free to play models with item stores seem to work as well.

As such, I suppose it's possible we may see some core game content that's free, but offering additional content for pay: items, character slots, etc.

I must say though, I was excited about seeing the Foundry, as I loved NWN's UGC system for making adventures... until I saw that online connections are required, and they "haven't decided" on their pay model yet. Now, I'm wondering how this is all going to intersect.
    edited June 2011

:eek:

People that wants to use the Foundry would have to pay more for adding content to the game so its players keep coming here instead of (or in addition to) other games? It doesn't sound good.

Box plus monthly fee would make sense. User content aside, Cryptic offers their own content (adventures, dungeons). What it doesn't offer (raids? PvP?), it's supplemented by user content in the form of new adventures/campaigns. So, as I said, monthly fee makes sense. (I'm under the assumption that their content will last more than a few hours/days of gameplay.) Doesn't invalidate the offline thing but Steam fans shouldn't have much of a problem with "need to be online" theme.

C-Store? I'd bet for it making a presence. I don't mind it for only vanity stuff, character slots for extreme altoholics and similars. Period. Adding stuff for the Foundry or similar should be an ancient red dragon sized no. Unless the game foes Free To Play, in which case I suppose that you would have to pay for the content to use (be it Foundry creating new adventures or as a player trying to play "enhanced" adventures).
    edited June 2011
    Concerning the topic:

Why does this matter?

I mean this is a multiplayer game...so you need to be online.

Ok...lets say you're a stuborn SP lover. Still...whats the problem? You do have internet right?
    edited June 2011
    Just my 2 cents.. but just because they say there will be no offline mode does not mean there will be a fee. Starcraft 2 has no fee and yet no offline mode. The game more than likely will be released as f2p with grouping and foundry content sharing made possible because of your cryptic account login. So, how does Cryptic make any money? The C-store. They are working heavily with Wizards to make this a good game, and the new dnd team at wizards puts out some great content. Anyone who has done either of the Encounters campaigns can tell you their monthly content production is worth it. I can easily see Cryptic pushing Wizards team official content to the C-Store for micro transaction as well as a myriad of vanity skins/items. Also having the ability to sell Paragon/Epic tier classes. 4th edition has a lot of content that people overlook because its not in a book, but in the updates of dragon/dungeon magazine. I can see this game being pretty amazing once a good community of players gets in here.
    edited June 2011

Considering that the game is going to be (heavily) depending on community content to drive its prolonged success, I doubt that they will charge people to supply that content, unless the community developers get a return (which they have hinted at). If that is the case, then there will likely be some type of service fee for players as well.

That being said, having to connect to the servers does not necessarily equate to a monthly fee. Many online games out now are B2P and don't require a monthly fee.
    edited June 2011
    If it's a monthly fee - bad idea IMO - it shouldn't be more than $5 per month or they won't see a great deal of business.
    edited June 2011
    Whatever business model they're using, it should not (negatively) affect the game, and game balance in any way. Too many RPG's that have gone MMO are now wrecked in their original setup because of this.

I still fail to understand why a predomaniantly Singleplayer/Offline game has to be turned into a MMO - especially because Turbine is the one with the MMO liscence.

Who does this "neverwinter" appeal too? NWN fans? They're Offline/Sp mostly, with the PW community as an added bonus. MMO fans? Wouldnt they be better off with Turbine's title?

However if it's a Co-op game with some mmo elements without becoming, and needing a MMO business model, then i'm all for it.
    edited June 2011
    DivMarduk wrote: »

Who does this "neverwinter" appeal too? NWN fans? They're Offline/Sp mostly, with the PW community as an added bonus. MMO fans? Wouldnt they be better off with Turbine's title?

To rebut the first part of your above statement, I am certain that a lot of D&D players have an eye on this game. The NWN guys are a vocal minority in their demands for NWN 3 which I hope this doesn't turn into.

DDO is garbage. I tried it then deleted it. If this one turns into another DDO I won't be hanging around.

Neverwinter is stated to be an online co-op game similar to a single player game that has online co-op without the single player component. This is just as well since the single player games for both neverwinter nights games were poor rpgs with a multiplayer component. They would be long dead if not for the builders and their persistent worlds.

these guys will need way more players than they will be able to draw from the ranks of NWN persistent worlds players, there really aren't a whole lot of them. but like I said they are very vocal. Might have a lot to do with the types of people that want to run persistent worlds in the first place.
    edited June 2011
    Given that they point blank stated that this game isn't going to release with the content of one of their "grind for 100s of hours" MMOs, I'm doubting a monthly fee. They just don't have the content to make people take a sub seriously. Monetizing modding and modders seems the way to go if anything, although it will take some time for good mods to be created. Plus they'll have a very convenient structure for making and selling their own adventure instances in bite sized DLC chunks if they choose.
    edited June 2011
    Seriously? You don't think they will charge a monthly fee? They double dip in STO, with monthly fee and a c-Store and "get away" with it..:)

I think it more likely there will be no monthly fee, but a larger C-Store with the main thing to buy being new races or classes.

I have no problem with C-Store and Free, I do have a problem with Monthly and C-Store.

Except for the foundry lovers, those who like to make their own content, I think D3 will blow it out of the water anyway :D

Sorry Cryptic, your reputation doth proceed you...
    edited June 2011
    Solomace wrote: »
    Seriously? You don't think they will charge a monthly fee? They double dip in STO, with monthly fee and a c-Store and "get away" with it..:)

Yes, but for how long do you think they will get away with it? It's not like CO & STO were games that broke records in sales.

If they think the hybrid model is the right path for survival of the game then by all means go for it. It's just that the game has to be exceptionally good for me to accept both subscription fee AND item shop, and I don't foresee that being the case with NW. Cryptic is basically creating niche games, and the likely reason is that they are essentially recycling same content and slapping a new label on it.

They try to appeal to specific crowds with their games. CO is to appeal to champions and superhero fans, STO is to appeal to star trek and scifi fans, while Neverwinter is supposed to appeal to DnD and fantasy fans.

The problem, as I see it, is that fans of a PnP system are probably the worst thing you can appeal to. There's a snowball's chance in hell you end up satisfying the hardcore PnP crowd because of inherent differences in PnP and CRPG games. It doesn't help that PnP crowds form their own groups centered around specific system - or system version. Anyone here who would like this to be 3e? 2e? OD&D?

Then there are people who aren't specifically DnD fans, but like fantasy CRPGs in general. There are folks who expect this to be offline single player game, folks who expect this to be MMO, folks who expect this to be like Guild Wars, folks who expect this to be like previous NWN games etc etc. Thus compromises are made for wider appeal. It certainly doesn't help that they also chose to use the "Neverwinter Nights" stamp on this one.

As to what are my reasons for being there? Well, I'm jaded. I have played CRPGs and MMOs for longer than I care to remember. I don't expect Cryptic to reinnovate their game - I leave that to ArenaNet. The primary reason for me being here is the Foundry. The secondary reason is that I like DnD and fantasy in general.

For the record: I like GW business model.
    edited June 2011

I think the game will flop if that happens. Why would those who want to create, put more effort and time into the game, become the backbone of the game and community have to be the ones shelling out money? If anything Cryptic should reward those who produce good modules either in free services, prizes, or job opportunities.

I for one am not a module creature, I am forever in the debt of the DMs that produce modules for my enjoyment. I'd say B2P like ANet is the only ay to go as there are countless packets Cryptic can introduce that the community can purchase that can generate revenue for the game. If they are gonna do a P2P option for access to all stuff as it comes out then they need to go something similar like Turbines TP Shop which I loathe as it MT galore, much prefer to just buy packets and be done.

But back to the original topic... I'd say the Foundry should be operational offline that way the players can still build their modules just not be able to access the NWO world.
    edited June 2011
    Until we know more about the game I think it will be difficult to properly speculate a price plan, but I personally think it will be similar to CO.
    edited June 2011

I'm betting this will be a model very similar to the current CO model with the only difference being you purchase the game. Then you will be able to buy cosmetic Armor, Clothing and Weapon sets, as well as Tile sets, Specialty Monsters and entire adventure modules.

In other words; if it is a a well polished game Cryptic has just been given a license to print money. :D
    edited June 2011
    In other words; if it is a a well polished game Cryptic has just been given a license to print money. :D

Atari you mean? Unless new information surfaces that completelly changes the situation it's not for Cryptic to make this decision. Atari is the publisher.