test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestions for the Foundry rating system

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd like to see the rating system for Foundry modules be a little more complex than just a single rating (eg. 5 stars or 10/10).

Mostly this is because different gamers have different things that they enjoy when it comes to modules.

Simultaneously, none of the ratings would be compulsory - so only those players interested in giving thoughtful, detailed feedback would.

I'm keen to hear what other people think suitable categories for rating might be - feel free to chime in, and I'll edit this list so Cryptic can get a good idea of the kinds of things the playerbase might look for when choosing UGC to play.

My original list:
Quantity
  • Roleplay - Light / Medium / Heavy
  • Combat - Light / Medium / Heavy
  • Skill Challenges (eg. Traps or Puzzles) - Light / Medium / Heavy

Quality
  • An overall rating
  • Story - was the story of the module interesting/satisfying/original? or was it just another "rats in the cellar" quest?
  • Writing - was the dialogue well-written/compelling/give you creative options that reflected your individual PC? Or was it full of spelling mistakes and railroaded you into making out of character choices?
  • Module Design - was the use of tileset/placeables creative and imaginative? or did it feel particularly cookie cutter?
  • Encounter Design - did combat/skill-based encounters make use of terrain? did the encounters feel necessary or unique to the module? or perhaps it felt like it was just there to give XP?
  • Appropriate Difficulty - too challenging? not challenging enough?
  • Enjoyment - even with its flaws, was the module just really fun to play anyway? Or perhaps it lacked that certain something, despite its strengths?

Other suggestions:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to see the rating system for Foundry modules be a little more complex than just a single rating (eg. 5 stars or 10/10).

Mostly this is because different gamers have different things that they enjoy when it comes to modules.

Simultaneously, none of the ratings would be compulsory - so only those players interested in giving thoughtful, detailed feedback would.

I'm keen to hear what other people think suitable categories for rating might be - feel free to chime in, and I'll edit this list so Cryptic can get a good idea of the kinds of things the playerbase might look for when choosing UGC to play.

My original list:
    Quantity
    • Roleplay - Light / Medium / Heavy
    • Combat - Light / Medium / Heavy
    • Skill Challenges (eg. Traps or Puzzles) - Light / Medium / Heavy

Quality
    • An overall rating
    • Story - was the story of the module interesting/satisfying/original? or was it just another "rats in the cellar" quest?
    • Writing - was the dialogue well-written/compelling/give you creative options that reflected your individual PC? Or was it full of spelling mistakes and railroaded you into making out of character choices?
    • Module Design - was the use of tileset/placeables creative and imaginative? or did it feel particularly cookie cutter?
    • Encounter Design - did combat/skill-based encounters make use of terrain? did the encounters feel necessary or unique to the module? or perhaps it felt like it was just there to give XP?
    • Appropriate Difficulty - too challenging? not challenging enough?
    • Enjoyment - even with its flaws, was the module just really fun to play anyway? Or perhaps it lacked that certain something, despite its strengths?

Other suggestions:

Have none :) pretty much this. It's basically how the Nwn content was rated (the RP/Combat/Difficulty section anyways) and really lets you pick content that you're interested in.
    edited June 2011
    I'd like the ability to rate it along different axes.
    • Combat
    • Puzzle
    • Story
    • Art

A tagging system like LittleBigPlanet would be nice too, so I could search for missions in the spine of the world.
    edited June 2011
    if there is a rating system that lets you apply the following criteria for reviewing it would also be great to include a search system that allowed you to filter content based on those same fields.
    edited June 2011
    While I agree a more complex rating system is needed I wouldn't make it too complex.
    • Overall rating (including your Enjoyment)
    • Story (including your Writing)
    • Design
    • Combat (including your Encounter Design and Difficulty)
    • Slider/Points(?) to distinguish between RP/Combat

These 4 I think are enough. Sure you can always make more categories but sometimes too much is just... too much.

Also a tag system like Darren_Kitlor suggested would be great. Then it won't be necessary to use points to distinguish between RP and Combat content... well if the authors would tag it appropriately.
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    if there is a rating system that lets you apply the following criteria for reviewing it would also be great to include a search system that allowed you to filter content based on those same fields.

Yes. That's actually an issue with STO is that fields are only sorting linear ratings, popularity or recentness.

Tracking the value of things like story, puzzle, combat and design would be best, IMO and then being able to search for them would be great.
    edited June 2011
    Another possibility is that the community adopts a system of tagging missions with a shorthand acronym which you could easily search for as long as everyone applied things in the same order - perhaps in a tags field that the author would populate as part of the mission publishing process.

It isn't ideal but I seem to remember early Mission Architect authors in CoH adopting such a convention.
    edited June 2011
    Yes. That's actually an issue with STO is that fields are only sorting linear ratings, popularity or recentness.

Tracking the value of things like story, puzzle, combat and design would be best, IMO and then being able to search for them would be great.

Not to mention searching for said modules by keywords would be nice. So, for example, a cleric could search for modules with "undead" or by type of place "graveyard, tomb, etc." Also allow people to rate the module by archetype so said cleric could just do a general search of modules that are rated best for cleric, etc.
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to see a greivence report for modules. Some people get off on others discomfort and will be willing to bet some might design modules that are to greive players.