test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character Names

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
I am hoping and asking that the names or popular and famous D&D book and television characters and people not be allowed. I am dreading seeing 100 drizzt's or variations on the name. Seeing Elminster running around as a player no thank you.

I am not asking for the names to be strictly fantasy or even pronouceable<sp>. Just not famous names be my guest to call yourself creepingdeath or IsmellU just not Raist or Tasselholf no Tanis half Elven.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes, such names will be banned.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They won't be allowed and you will be able to report such names but there will always be variants of them. (eg. 3lminst3r, driiizt)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    heh yeah you pretty much know that every concievable variation of Drizzt Do'Urdens name will be attempted otherwise.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can see it now! :D

You adventure through the entire module, on your search to find Elminster, only at the end you discover a halfling Illusionist named 3lminst3r
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think it would be a nice to have feature to have a name that has a meaning.

In the DND 3.5 books there were nice tables that made it possible to get a sort of random name based on dice rolls. The name is then based on the race that you play. You then have rolls for the amount of prefixes and suffixes and the actual part of the name.

It would be a great feature that you roll for the amount of pre- and suffixes and then select the themes that then is translated into. For example fire and brave could result in a certain name. This way you can use these themes in the background of the character as well.

The books I refer to are the races of stone and the races of the wild.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm... will there be some system that will force players to choose names that correspond to the roleplaying mood? I wouldn't like to see players with names like "SuperCow" or "ImCrAzY" or something.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Dev Storm has stared in another thread that there will be naming rules for copyrighted names.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vampir888 wrote: »
    They won't be allowed and you will be able to report such names but there will always be variants of them. (eg. 3lminst3r, driiizt)

You forgot my all time favorite xXxDr11ztxXx.

I would totally laugh if they made a game client change which automatically disallowed character names that begin and end with the same number of X's - case insensitive of course.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No matter how good a filter is there will always be some variation of famous names that slip through the cracks. While you are free to report them, I tend to use them as an indicator of someone I would rather not game with.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There are some things that are probably quite reasonable to filter in Neverwinter while it is potentially appropriate in Cryptics other games.

I am speaking specifically of numbers in names. Can anyone thing of RP appropriate reasons to have numbers in names? Outside of the odd roman numeral for lineage purposes.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    There are some things that are probably quite reasonable to filter in Neverwinter while it is potentially appropriate in Cryptics other games.

I am speaking specifically of numbers in names. Can anyone thing of RP appropriate reasons to have numbers in names? Outside of the odd roman numeral for lineage purposes.

I do remember a book where the main character was created. They gave her a name Alais<sp> but for the most part the creators called her by the number she was 7 I think. Its been a very long time since I read the book if I remember I will get the book when I get home and edit the names.