test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

50hrs of Gameplay / The Rest Foundry!

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
So, all indications are that this title will be 50hrs of gameplay, while the rest of the game will rely on that of player generated content. How do you feel about that?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    Acidrain wrote: »
    So, all indications are that this title will be 50hrs of gameplay, while the rest of the game will rely on that of player generated content. How do you feel about that?
    It all depends:
    • Is it story-based 50 hours or kill 5 things 50 hours? (one feels longer and not in a good way)
    • What's the pricing model?

Keep in mind that while the tools are free-form, the actual games/campaigns for NWN have been more linear.

They're quite different from, say, the (mindnumbing) linearity of FFXIII or the (OMG-WIN!) sandbox of the Elder Scrolls titles.
    edited June 2011

First, where did this "50 hour" number come from? Second I assume this is only talking about launch and more content will be added post launch?
    edited June 2011
    Darren,

I don't know, though with what we have seen in the success of CO going F2P and Perfect World being in the F2P model, all my bets are on that it will be a F2P model or you buy the title and then micros. Which iam welcoming STO going that direction soon as well!
    edited June 2011
    First, where did this "50 hour" number come from? Second I assume this is only talking about launch and more content will be added post launch?

I don't know.

The devs mentioned voice-acting in this (more co-op RPG than not).
    edited June 2011

Second that question, where exactly did you see "50 hours" at?

Never saw anything like that in the old press bits, they closest I find is them talking about only have the first 10 levels, the Heroic tier at launch, and a focus on making that as complete and fully designed and developed as possible and then adding the Paragon tier in updates after launch (along with more races and classes)...

They talked about the game being focuses at launch just around the city of Neverwinter and it's immediate surroundings with adding further distant location as they expanded post-launch...

In fact what I can see is Jack Emmert saying specifically that they haven't given any numbers as to the length of the game time.

If you know a press bit that I've not seen and have missed, please let me know as I'd really like to read where you saw that at.
    edited June 2011
    I don't know.

The devs mentioned voice-acting in this (more co-op RPG than not).

I noticed the amount of added voices in the new remastered episodes in STO! Very Cool!
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    Second that question, where exactly did you see "50 hours" at?

Never saw anything like that in the old press bits, they closest I find is them talking about only have the first 10 levels, the Heroic tier at launch, and a focus on making that as complete and fully designed and developed as possible and then adding the Paragon tier in updates after launch (along with more races and classes)...

They talked about the game being focuses at launch just around the city of Neverwinter and it's immediate surroundings with adding further distant location as they expanded post-launch...

In fact what I can see is Jack Emmert saying specifically that they haven't given any numbers as to the length of the game time.

If you know a press bit that I've not seen and have missed, please let me know as I'd really like to read where you saw that at.

The 50hrs came from that of an old press release or discussion that was talked about in relationship to a 50hr limit of game play and the rest being player generated content.
    edited June 2011
    I'd say that Neverwinter is a service you pay and that offers you some already generated content by Cryptic, in addition to the Foundry tools to create your own adventures/campaigns and the ability to play those, server and tools maintenance, and future patches.

Like donating each month to a PW you play in, I suppose?

(I would love more than 50 hours of Cryptic content by release... even if I must inflitrate there and use the Foundry myself!!! :D )
    edited June 2011
    My only hope is that if they do charge a monthly fee it is way lower than a standard MMO only because they are depending a lot on the user generated content rather than making a ton of content themselves. I kinda hope that with PWE owning cryptic there is a free to play option for players (maybe after purchase of the box) and then only a fee if you use the tool editors.
    edited June 2011
    If they include DM tools, then I'd probably buy it if it came with 0 hours of content. If there is no DM tool, well, then this is problematic because 99% of user created stuff WILL be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    edited June 2011
    50 hours of content that consists of 'Dungeons' and 'Places to explore' and 'quests' is not bad. Most mmorpg's have squat other than farming and fedex. 50 hours is comparable to what games like dragon age, neverwinter nights 2, etc,, offer.

The Forge content could be excellent. Old neverwinter nights had that, and as I recall, tons of people made content for it.

I assume that once people have had time to use the Forge, many, many 'modules' will spring up.

My dire warning is this: Beware the 'rush to max level'
    Because, 50 hours at release with months to wait for players to create Forge content creates a 'dead spot.'
    edited June 2011
    I don't see how Cryptic can support 3 MMOGs at the same time. That's a LOT of people involved.

Maybe they'll be expanding quite a bit? After all, they were just bought out by Perfect World; maybe that company is dumping funding into the studio.
    edited June 2011
    razer251 wrote: »
    I don't see how Cryptic can support 3 MMOGs at the same time. That's a LOT of people involved.

Maybe they'll be expanding quite a bit? After all, they were just bought out by Perfect World; maybe that company is dumping funding into the studio.

I would assume they have a seperate team on each game.

Four mmorpg's! They have a 'secret project'
    edited June 2011
    Playing a module another person made with my character? I think it sounds like true D&D!
    edited June 2011
    assuming 50 hours is correct. there is a lot to take into consideration. how good is that 50 hours? are there missions choices to inspire replay, how much does playing a different class affect the game. how quickly can people get UGC content out. how quickly will they add more content?

i believe the game is also starting F2P which has an impact on it as well.

so lots of questions that will only really be answered when the game is released. its not ideal but STO only had about 60-80 when it launched and im still happy playing that game over a year on. they also dont have to worry about factions it seems in this game so they can concentrate on one core experience.
    edited June 2011
    its not ideal but STO only had about 60-80 when it launched and im still happy playing that game over a year on.

Plus STo had no method for community authoring day one. 50-60 hours may not be a big deal if the community is active in generating its own content too.
    edited June 2011
    razer251 wrote: »

It is a lot of people involved! There's a quite a few of us over here though. :D

Also, I want to take a moment to remind everyone that Neverwinter is not going to fit the "MMORPG" stereotype. Continuing to describe the game as an MMORPG is describing something that we're not making.

Neverwinter will be a Co-operative Online Role Playing Game. As we reveal more information about Neverwinter, we'll be able to expound more on that, and why.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited June 2011
    My guess is that it will be as close to an online version of getting a group of your friends together and running a campaign as it can be only with no one needing to DM.

(which sounds super fun)
    edited June 2011
    I am hoping for a more on-line table top game with great visual enhancements. I do not want WoW or SWToR or STO or CO maybe BF3 but I get that anyway. So lets go pin and paper nerds unite.
    edited June 2011
    My guess is that it will be as close to an online version of getting a group of your friends together and running a campaign as it can be only with no one needing to DM.

(which sounds super fun)

Can I get an AMEN Brother ?
    edited June 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    It is a lot of people involved! There's a quite a few of us over here though. :D

I'm loving how the titles are all playing off one another, each seeming to be an instrument of change for adding in new features for the others. For example, if Neverwinter hadn't been a work in progress would the work on the engine be where it currently is today for adding user generated content in STo?

Player housing (ship interiors) in STo came first and now CO is in progress of implementing something special.

And then of course there is the fact that each new product is being implemented on an engine that is growing more mature due to the length of time it has been in production.

Star Trek got feature episodes, each improving on its predecessor. Now we arent far away from weekly episodes for STo and in the meantime, CO is doing its own special thing with the comic series - which I absolutely love. Each advancement is getting better at involving the player and telling story.

I love where you are going - keep wowing me :)

Cant wait to see if/how/when CO starts to see the benefit of the work that has been done on with the Foundry.

Plus I'm hoping that changes to the foundry for Neverwinter add in the ability for acting in the content - and perhaps even cut scene generation.
    edited June 2011
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Can I get an AMEN Brother ?

AMEN (especially to being able to play with friends who aren't close).
    edited June 2011
    DarkShrike wrote: »
    I'm loving how the titles are all playing off one another, each seeming to be an instrument of change for adding in new features for the others. For example, if Neverwinter hadn't been a work in progress would the work on the engine be where it currently is today for adding user generated content in STo?

Player housing (ship interiors) in STo came first and now CO is in progress of implementing something special.

And then of course there is the fact that each new product is being implemented on an engine that is growing more mature due to the length of time it has been in production.

Star Trek got feature episodes, each improving on its predecessor. Now we arent far away from weekly episodes for STo and in the meantime, CO is doing its own special thing with the comic series - which I absolutely love. Each advancement is getting better at involving the player and telling story.

I love where you are going - keep wowing me :)

Cant wait to see if/how/when CO starts to see the benefit of the work that has been done on with the Foundry.

Plus I'm hoping that changes to the foundry for Neverwinter add in the ability for acting in the content - and perhaps even cut scene generation.

Hmmm, that was very well worded and you make some great points, but it sounds a bit like pole-smoking to me!
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm, that was very well worded and you make some great points, but it sounds a bit like pole-smoking to me!

Yes but it is how I feel about it. They ARE a small team but they get away with doing a lot because of all the benefits of reusing their previous efforts.
    edited June 2011
    Regardless of how much game content is available at launch, development on these types of games never stops. So, I'm not worried about it. Most MMOs get better during and after their 1st year. Although, sadly, some have gotten worse.

I'm looking forward to the player made content. The ones in STO are great. Some aren't, but I think most are. In the beginning there will be a bunch of so-so player made modules as people rush in to play with the tools, but over time, the more serious players will remain and come up with some good stuff.
    edited June 2011
    malakili wrote: »
    If they include DM tools, then I'd probably buy it if it came with 0 hours of content. If there is no DM tool, well, then this is problematic because 99% of user created stuff WILL be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

One important question is "how much space will a player have" for his content ? Can I make a whole world with 100 maps , building each map and publishing one by one so it slowly gets larger over time ? Is there a max cap of 10 maps or some such ?

It's nice that we can make our own scenarios, and it's nice that disk space is cheap, but 400 thousand players each out there to make their own little dungeons is going to eat through disk space like crazy if there arn't some limitations of some kind on it.
    edited June 2011
    One important question is "how much space will a player have" for his content ? Can I make a whole world with 100 maps , building each map and publishing one by one so it slowly gets larger over time ? Is there a max cap of 10 maps or some such ?

It's nice that we can make our own scenarios, and it's nice that disk space is cheap, but 400 thousand players each out there to make their own little dungeons is going to eat through disk space like crazy if there arn't some limitations of some kind on it.

I think THIS is the magic question. While I think what STo offers is pretty generous I am hopeful that Neverwinter will be even more so. Since it is inevitable that there will be some form of cash shop perhaps an author can purchase different classes of content block sizes.
    edited June 2011
    So long as there's player generated content, I'll be happy. A F2P model strikes me as the best course of actions as it's similar to NWN1 and 2. Box sales were where the money was. Of course, if they put a fee on access to the Foundry then we'd not get flooded with thousands of modules and have a much smaller selection to select from. Which would be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Either way, I'll totally buy it but I likely won't make anything right off. I'm more of a player these days that a DM.
    edited June 2011

Good question.

I'm guessing that space won't be an issue if it's like the foundry in STO. There, we can piece together campaigns/missions/quests using pre-existing graphics and objects (including buildings, NPCs, everything). The player made content can be quite large as well. We create the dialog, triggers to manipulating objects, NPCs, etc.; but all of the graphics already exist on the client. All the player ends up creating is a list of code telling the client how to manipulate the graphics and objects it already has.

edit...just to clarify in case anyone misunderstands. The player doesn't have to write any code. Everything is handled through a GUI editor, so everyone can use it.