test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Area

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
I wonder how far will the area available for exploration stretch from Neverwinter? Which cities it would reach?

And if I may have suggestion: in future expansions you might add new cities like SIlverymoon not necessarily by building a whole set of areas and roads players need to travel, but for example by means of magical portals or a carvan. You could add various cities that way with their own areas.

Another question would be how many planes will be available in Neverwinter? Only material plane, or also shadowfell and feywild, or astral plane?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Nobody interested? Seems pretty important to me...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    what I read on site - they have no intention to add a new city
    Shall be only neverwinter, dungeons and some nearby areas
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    But what about other planes? Shadowfell, Astral sea, Feywild, Outer planes? Far realm?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    let's wait to see the game running first :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the good thing is stuff can always get added later, and i guess people can use the foundry, but i would not expect much past the main city and some surrounding troll infested hills. (because there are always troll infested hills).

remember the game is called neverwinter, and not the sword coast so i doubt we will go too far past the city walls.

if they do add cities i guess luskan and waterdeep would be the mains ones but that would be a lot of work, and sounds like more of an expansion pack to me.

i suspect there is always be a doorway to another dimension sitting in some wizards basement.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I would say at the beginning it will be just Neverwinter, maybe Luskan. And it will launch with only the material plane. However, with expansions I see no reason why every plane and important Realms location wouldn't make it in. The Realms provide a wealth of characters and stories that are ready-made. They'd be crazy not to use that.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Last year in the Gamespot interview they did they were saying:
    "Right now, players will be adventuring in and around Neverwinter. Not just in the city, but also the environs. But that's just the release; we'll be planning additional content as we move forward that takes players to new places."

Which sounds to me like Neverwinter & Neverwinter Woods and the other areas immediately around and underneath the city at launch (tie'ing in with the Neverwinter boxed set coming out for 4E D&D probably about the same time).

After launch they could add adventures further away from the city, expanding the world with adventure packs and new Foundry additions as they had the time and art resources to do them right.

Luskan would be an interesting one to see as it is also a city currently completely in ruins (post the The Pirate King novel) due to battles between rivals gangs and pirate crews in the streets that still haven't died down.

I do like the idea of Feywild and Shadowfell adventures.

Given whats happened to Neverwinter a Shadowfell echo of the city as it was, full of the remnants of memories of Neverwinter of old and tainted by the massive amount of lives lost when Neverwinter was destroyed would be very cool to visit.

A Feywild version of Neverwinter Woods, with all of the abyssal and undead taint in it these days could end up being a Fomorian stronghold with fae creatures twisted by the darkness and magics seeping in from Faerun proper.

Edit: Just saw in the GT Foundry Video Interview that the Shadowfell was mentioned there as being in the toolset. Lots of good stuff in that video where he talks about being able to do things like release future map packs such as The Sword Coast or Icewind Dale.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I see a lot of people mentioning Luskan, but what about the Jewel of the Sword Coast, Waterdeep? It's been widely acknowledged as being even grander than Neverwinter ever was.
    Personally, I am quite tired of Luskan after all the old NWN shennanigans. I say bring on Waterdeep!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    GT01 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people mentioning Luskan, but what about the Jewel of the Sword Coast, Waterdeep? It's been widely acknowledged as being even grander than Neverwinter ever was.
    Personally, I am quite tired of Luskan after all the old NWN shennanigans. I say bring on Waterdeep!

Luskan gets mentioned as it is a lot closer (roughly half the distance) to Neverwinter that Waterdeep is and it's fate has been tied somewhat to Waterdeep's in the past (and in fact plays a part in the Gauntlgrym novel of the current Neverwinter trilogy being written by R.A.Salvatore).

Waterdeep itself is somewhat unchanged with the passage of time and transition for 4E, though the Lords of Waterdeep are not the same as they once were because of time and murders.

Baldur's Gate on the other hand... It is now larger and more prosperous then Waterdeep ever was with a population that long since passed that of Waterdeep and that in-fact cannot support itself without active trade to bring in food and supplies.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In the latest interview from gametrailers the lead designer did mention Sword Coast or Shadowfell settings, more like elements to build your missions, but still... who knows... the first version will be heroic tier, which should be enough for Neverwinter, but paragon and epic require already other planes like Feywild and other places.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know what would be cool?

Cryptic goes the Guild Wars route and releases a stand alone title every two years for a different region with new methods connecting each from Amn/Calimshan to Silverymoon to Cormyr.

I'd dish out if each game had a decent story, a few new class, and added mores zones to visit.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know what would be cool?

Cryptic goes the Guild Wars route and releases a stand alone title every two years for a different region with new methods connecting each from Amn/Calimshan to Silverymoon to Cormyr.

I'd dish out if each game had a decent story, a few new class, and added mores zones to visit.

Most likely if they did this it would be connected to what Wizards is releasing be it via campaign settings and/or novelizations like the Salvatore work related to this release.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    it would be nice to see them expand the area to allow an open world for exploration. maybe include land marks from the books as well. i just don't want it to be another DDO.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    uidzero wrote: »
    it would be nice to see them expand the area to allow an open world for exploration. maybe include land marks from the books as well. i just don't want it to be another DDO.

I don't think anyone wants it to be another DDO, so you shouldn't have to worry there. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm..I like the idea with new modules coming out to cover the expanse of Faerun
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully the success of Neverwinter will mean many new modules covering the many regions, I especially want to see Waterdeep done to its full potential.