test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Isn't past time Neverwinter Online upgrades to D&D 5e rules?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 593 Arc User
Isn't past time Neverwinter Online upgrades to D&D 5e rules?

Comments

• putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    no one would want to forfeit content development for a rule set update. We need more content
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    NW is not really based on D&D rules anyways. It just uses story, skill names, area names and descriptions, mob names and descriptions etc from the D&D universe. The underlying mechanics is very different.

D&D rules are intended for manual tabletop gaming. Computer gaming is a very different beast altogether.

So adapting to 5e rules would not really make sense.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    Technically it was loosely based on the 4e rules set with at-will, encounter and daily powers. but yeah overall the mechanics are very different and wouldn't translate very well.

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    it used to be D20 rpg before Mod 6, now it all about 'percentages' slot machine RNG and seriously nerfed in every patches since mod 11.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    No it wasn't. It was always based (loosely) on the 4th edition rules. Also you do realize that a d20 system is still percentage based slot machine right? It doesn't matter if the "roll" is a 1-20 or a 1-1000000000, it is still a percentage based rng.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    were you there before mod 6?
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    When I was a kid I would use the rules as a guideline. When 'house rules' did not apply, then the book would rule. This game is a far cry from traditional rules and has to be because it is an electronic MMO. I'd be in favor of importing the 'flavor' of the latest ruleset. Trying to adapt a ruleset completely... would be game breaking and create unnecessary work and labor for a dev team. That same labor could also be used to enrich our current game experience, provide more variety, introduce more content, fix bugs, balance classes and dungeons.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    wylonus said:

were you there before mod 6?

Here the stats before mod 6:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3dqpvhuavj

The game never had anything to do with dice rolls, the only 'dice roll' you get is the weapon damage and everything related to loot, rewards and lockboxes. Oh and refinement... lots of RNG there. Which is exactly the same percentages and slot machines.

Nothing changed, call it dice roll or percentage. it's the same thing.

And yes, I was here from the start.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My husband owns and played the 1983 Revision (boxed sets), I collected the hard cover books and manuals for a while. As time progressed so did our age, and it felt like two old creepers playing at the table with the teenagers. My two adult sons still come around to play D&D (yes the old school box set rules) in our living room. Our youngest is 25, he has taken up playing some other RPGs at his friends apartment.

There is no way to reshape this online video game into any rule set that would resemble D&D or anything D&D related. I know I have said this before on other threads; Neverwinter Online is a D&D game in name only. It has aspects but it is a recycled game from Champions to Star Trek. I have the feeling they about to do it again for a fourth time with their Magic the Gathering MMO. They are busy shoving new maps and 3D models into the libraries and probably are just going to build an expanded version of the Vistani Tarokka Deck Artifact.

The D&D MMO with the closest game mechanics is unfortunately Turbine's DDO. As most of you who played the version already know, it lacks in graphic details, character customization, and poor user interface. Too many races and classes are locked behind a paywall and overall feel is very WoW-like.

I came here to tell stories, but they removed that option. Now I plan to hang here until the server goes dark. If they keep working without content, shouldn't be too long of a wait. Until then have fun, if you can't find it, make some fun of your own. :grin:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I think its DnD 5 now!
    Someone please explain the old guys who keeps repeating striker, controller etc...
    stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Meh.
    No serious PnP DnD player plays NWO for a PnP rules experience.
    It was never closely resembling DnD rules.

More like "loosely based on DnD" or "inspired by DnD".
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    "No D&Ds were harmed during the filming of this game."
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator

Meh.

No serious PnP DnD player plays NWO for a PnP rules experience.

It was never closely resembling DnD rules.

More like "loosely based on DnD" or "inspired by DnD".

This is accurate. It's a D&D Experience but it isn't a D&D Rules Experience.

They have adapted some of 5E mechanics into NW...but they had 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition inspirations at release as well. While they marketed the game as mainly based on 4E they have consistently said they take inspiration from all Editions to fit the needs for the game.

Additionally, as stated by others it would be a lot of work to change to 5E rules. It would effectively be as much work as making a whole new game and would be even if the NW rules were closer tied to 4E than they are. That's why DDO is still 3.5E and hasn't upgraded to 4E or 5E. ;)
  • drizzt#4324 drizzt Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    pitshade said:

"No D&Ds were harmed during the filming of this game."

Funny!!