test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My computer blew up...

demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
I wont be online for a little while until i get a new computer.. any suggestions on a good gaming pc would be nice.

Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    While I have no clue about what qualifies as a "good gaming pc "... my husband says depending on your location in the world & your income, you should be able to find a refurbished "Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD" for around $350 to $400. That is what he said. I hope you get back online soon, the Barovian Bash on the 23rd won't be the same without you!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    You can't ask for suggestions without mentioning your budget >.>

And did it literally blow up? O.o How'd that happen?
    FrozenFire
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Yep it blew up.. budget
    Hmm i dont want to spend more than 3500.00
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

You never know what can happen with games...

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-005B-000H9. It has the specs you suggested
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aixis2000aixis2000 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    hmm...they offer better gaming pc´s than this one in the range till 1500 USD

- it has an RTX 2070 and thats it...the rest is outdated HAMSTER...not even an SSD...8 Gb older ram only...old socket...old ryzen cpu...meh...cheap yes...but u posted a limit of 3500 USD
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    I wouldn't buy anything without a good nvme
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Googled NVME and became even more confused what it means. :o
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    NVMe is a new protocol for SSDs. Had to google it myself, but that's what I found.
    edited September 2019
    yes: NMV Express (Non-Volatile Memory Express) its the new one and the old was AHCI (fin 2004) Advanced Host Controller Interface...but the new ones are still expensive - if u dont build ur own pc u should have an eye on the SSD it has - at least a SATA-600-SSD (same as SATA 3 or SATA6G) - no SSD is no option in late 2019 anymore
    Post edited by aixis2000 on
    Ok ill give that one away.. link me a pc pls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2019
    I checked abit the seller portal u posted and this one is in total the best offer so far:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883230474?Item=N82E16883230474 - $1,449.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883289042?Item=N82E16883289042 - $1,149.99 (small budget but not too bad)

PS.: Im from Germany so I checked only this seller portal...
  • some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    With a budget like that, I would suggest finding someone who custom builds computers in your area, or learn how to build one yourself. The problem with store bought computers is the fact companies put in cheap parts to save money, leading to problems later with instability or lack of upgrade options. Most often the computer will lack a good power supply. That's the heart of a computer. Weak or unstable voltage rails can lead to parts failing earlier and crashes. This would also mean you can't add a more powerful graphics card later. Motherboards tend to lack slots to save a dime here and there, thus lack slots you may need later.

The list goes on, but I'm sure you get the idea. If you do go with a store bought computer, don't go with a cheap brand as the ones listed so far. Alienware has made a name for themselves for a reason...they do put in good power supplies.
    edited September 2019
    @some1stolemynickname ...yes and no...the one for 1449,99 is not really a cheap one with good components already...yes the manufacturer from board, ram, grafics and so on is not listed but we dont live in the 90´s anymore were ur horror scenario works...if u buy a pc for 200 bucks yes this still may happen but 1500? Come on!
    Yes if u can build ur own pc like I do than its something else what u can do with 1,500 but Alienware would maybe build a pc with the same components for 2500...but maybe they have magic hands...
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    have to agree, building your own is better bang for your buck, but it is more work and you need to research what works best for the purpose you have in mind.

In this day and age and for neverwinter specifically, almost any store built gaming machine is more than sufficient to run it at high settings.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

You never know what can happen with games...

Too much Pledge in the fans... :3

DD~
    Cool thanks guys! Will get ssd.... never had one as of yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-005B-000H9. It has the specs you suggested

To be honest, my husband quoted you a mid ranged refurbished machine and said nothing about a graphics card or did your GPU go bye bye too?

wb-cenders.gif
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Thayans...

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    For USD/EUR 3500 you should be able to get a top-line brand new computer.

In general, for long-term home-only use I would recommend a 'big' chassis-based computer that you assemble yourself.
    That way you get a PC where you can replace parts as necessary.

With today's severely reduced rate(compared to 10 years ago) of development in system board technology your system board stuff(CPU/memory/buses/interfaces) should not need upgrading in a very long time. Any required upgrades or replacements most likely will come on disk/graphics card/power supply. By being able to replace those yourself in case of failure or technological renewal you can bring your total PC TCO(Total Cost of Ownership) down a lot.

Up until 2010 or so I used to switch PC each 3-4 years because it got technologically outdated.. too slow. Now I have been running my i7-based box since 2009, it has just received a new graphics card and a new power on the way. I still don't have any urgent need to replace it.
    edited September 2019
    @mentinmindmaker...yes but if someone says he has a limit of 3500 and the pc he want to buy is 1000 USD then I take 1000 for more realistic..
    I dont understand: Now I have been running my i7-based box since 2009 - does that mean u still have an i7-860 Lynnfield? ...Cant be u wouldnt be able to play Neverwinter...

Anyway @demonmonger - pls first read abit about the actual gaming - pc´s
    U dont need to build up ur own (which is not that hard...u dont even have to set jumper on the mainboard anymore, its all plug and play for a very long time now)

There are tons of tests out there how performant the cpu, gpu, ram,ssd, hdd are...with your favorite cpu u know the socket so u search for a good board...then with the board specs comes the rest - what ram is supported, what power supply is needed ( every grafics manufacturer says what his card needs min. and recommended)...

Start with cpu:

cpu: i9700k / i9900k vs ryzen 7 3700x / 9 3900x are the top gaming cpu´s in a reasonable price range

gpu: rtx 2070 Super / rtx 2080 (NVIDIA) , vs RX 5700 XT (AMD) for Example - upper class (both already awesome performance - its all based how u wanna play your game - full HD needs not half the power on max details as u wanna play 4k or UHD in the future...

and so on...check sites like: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/ - u can virtual build ur dream pc - then compare what money u wannt to spend and adjust...the more money u spend the better is what u can get for...if u dont build ur own check what components are in a store built in are good or what not vs the money u spend...
    Post edited by aixis2000 on
    Cool cool.. comparing stats on benchmark and looking at youtube videos of comparisons. Good stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok i got ryzen 7 and rtx 2070 now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    aixis2000 said:

I dont understand: Now I have been running my i7-based box since 2009 - does that mean u still have an i7-860 Lynnfield? ...Cant be u wouldnt be able to play Neverwinter...

I am running an i7-2600k.. and it was brand new when I bought it. So I guess my system is from early 2011 not 2009. Sorry :)

Some interesting numbers are here:
    http://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

i7-2600 have single thread performance of 838, while the latest fancy chips have 1364 - that is a single-thread performance increase of only 62% over 8-9 years. Single-thread performance used to be pushed by increases in clock frequency, but they are running up against this constant of nature called the speed of light, or in this case signal propagation speeds in the chips.

Of course overall system performance has increase by adding more threads to the processors, but you need adapted software to benefit from that. In particular Neverwinter does not seem to be very multithread-adapted.
    @mentinmindmaker - yes ur right in both: Neverwinter isnt cpu or gpu hungry in that but u wouldnt get it started with a single core cpu...and yes they found out pretty early that single core performance is limited..TDP
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator

Ok i got ryzen 7 and rtx 2070 now

I don't know if you're kidding or what...
    FrozenFire
    > @frozenfirevr said:
    > (Quote)
    > ...
    >
    > I don't know if you're kidding or what...

Im serious
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Use an external SSD for your programs/games. You don't want to wear out and overuse your main SSD.

Get a Sandisk/Samsung 500 gb or 1 tb. They are easily replaced and keep your main ssd in tip top shape.
    @zerappus u really do it that way? wow...