test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

EU servers?

For years now I been trying to play this game. Every time I see a new patch I get excited but then when I try the game I am welcomed by lag and of course I uninstall the game. Every year I try the game once or twice to see if the lags are fixed. Playing this game with 120-150ms is not fun at all. So why arent we getting EU servers? Are there not enough EU players playing the game or what?

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,185 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    tihi said:

For years now I been trying to play this game. Every time I see a new patch I get excited but then when I try the game I am welcomed by lag and of course I uninstall the game. Every year I try the game once or twice to see if the lags are fixed. Playing this game with 120-150ms is not fun at all. So why arent we getting EU servers? Are there not enough EU players playing the game or what?

I think there is a EU proxy server. I personally know a lot of people playing in EU. Some of the elite players are in German.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    As plasticbat mentioned you might have success using the EU Neverwinter Proxy IP. You might get slightly reduced pings by selecting it.

Neverwinter was launched and designed to be an international game without any server selections. The only time there are regional servers are when there are laws that prevent players in a region to use the international server. Historically this was Russia and China.

120-150 MS Ping is bad in FPS and very twitch based games but for something like Neverwinter that is very much playable. Although the gameplay can look and feel very much similar to a shooter mechanically the level of precision is not required. Not only are the hitboxes generally far larger (an entire body rather than a head/chest/arm/leg) but there is an aim assist of sorts on almost all abilities that counteracts that amount of ping.

Sorry but there are not only no plans to have EU Servers the plan is and always has been to never have EU, Oceanic, South American....etc. Servers. As always in game development the door is never completely closed but this is definitely not something to be waiting on.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    >.>

300ms is on a good day for me :p
    FrozenFire
  • onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User

As plasticbat mentioned you might have success using the EU Neverwinter Proxy IP. You might get slightly reduced pings by selecting it.

Neverwinter was launched and designed to be an international game without any server selections. The only time there are regional servers are when there are laws that prevent players in a region to use the international server. Historically this was Russia and China.

120-150 MS Ping is bad in FPS and very twitch based games but for something like Neverwinter that is very much playable. Although the gameplay can look and feel very much similar to a shooter mechanically the level of precision is not required. Not only are the hitboxes generally far larger (an entire body rather than a head/chest/arm/leg) but there is an aim assist of sorts on almost all abilities that counteracts that amount of ping.

Sorry but there are not only no plans to have EU Servers the plan is and always has been to never have EU, Oceanic, South American....etc. Servers. As always in game development the door is never completely closed but this is definitely not something to be waiting on.

You even don´t have to do it yourself. Microsoft offers Azure Servers - I´m sure you get a discount because your game runs on xbox too. So azure Servers are one of the best Servers if not the best Servers for onlinegaming. I never understood why the game Developers not using them. Sure you are right about Neverwinter and 150 ms should not be a Problem, but the experience for all would be better on azure Servers.

But maybe it cost too much?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Sorry, hadn't had a chance to respond.

It's not the cost that is the issue. The developers did not and do not want to split the player base into different servers.

It was intentionally designed to not have multiple servers and the only time they have localized servers is if the local laws prevent a playerbase from joining the international server.

And as a side note, when I say "international server" note I am not using the classical definition of server. Neverwinter actually has a network of servers which are all intercommunicating but they are all in the same physical location. It's not that they are running everything on one server to save costs but rather that they are running the operation which classically would be at various locations in one location and automating the distribution between the servers.
    At least that is the best way I can paraphrase the information the developers have given throughout the years. If you google it you might be able to find some information on it from a primary source.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Most of Europe has the better faster internet than the US. @tihi use /netgraph 1 in the game chat, to view the internet stats, and /netgraph 0 to turn it off. There is a informative wiki article here about lag and other network issue on the official Neverwinter wiki. It gives you a basic idea of what you can and cannot fix from your end.

Cryptic Studios has only the one server for all 3 games... soon to be 4 games. Two of the games run on PS4 and XB1, and when they shut the server down, they all go down. That would worry me, keeping all my eggs in one basket. They are a small company based in Los Gatos, California, I don't expect them to have servers worldwide like other games do.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,185 Arc User

Most of Europe has the better faster internet than the US. @tihi use /netgraph 1 to view the internet stats and /netgraph 0 to turn it off. There is a informative wiki article here about lag and other network issue on the official Neverwinter wiki. It gives you a basic idea of what you can and cannot fix from your end.

Cryptic Studios has only the one server for all 3 games... soon to be 4 games. Two of the games run on PS4 and XB1, and when they shut the server down, they all go down. That would worry me, keeping all my eggs in one basket. They are a small company based in Los Gatos, California, I don't expect them to have servers worldwide like other games do.

I think they shutdown the server for PS4 and XB1 today for extensive maintenance. I don't think PC server went down. Did it?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User

Sorry, hadn't had a chance to respond.

It's not the cost that is the issue. The developers did not and do not want to split the player base into different servers.

It was intentionally designed to not have multiple servers and the only time they have localized servers is if the local laws prevent a playerbase from joining the international server.

And as a side note, when I say "international server" note I am not using the classical definition of server. Neverwinter actually has a network of servers which are all intercommunicating but they are all in the same physical location. It's not that they are running everything on one server to save costs but rather that they are running the operation which classically would be at various locations in one location and automating the distribution between the servers.
    At least that is the best way I can paraphrase the information the developers have given throughout the years. If you google it you might be able to find some information on it from a primary source.

you could achieve much more if you would use Microsoft Azure Servers - the best games the best experience you can get for onlinegaming is with games running on azure Servers. There are many options how they work - it´s sad that not many game developers use them.

but check this:
    https://customers.microsoft.com/sv-se/story/ubisoft-media-telco-azure

or this
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/microsoft-wants-azure-to-be-the-multiplayer-server-solution-for-every-platform/

"Scalable servers on Azure are already being used by a number of AAA titles; Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege are all hosted on Microsoft's cloud."

but like I said the costs could be too high?
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @onlymat Whoo hoo! Ubisoft that is my company. Good for Ubisoft :cookie: I love those guys!
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited September 2019
    Again it is NOT about costs. It's an intentional design decision to not have local servers so there are not "EU Servers" and "US Servers" and "Oceanic Servers" splitting the player base.

You could show a cost far lower than they current operating costs and it would not be adopted because they are NOT keeping it to one international server for cost reasons.

As for it being one server, again it is not one server let alone one server for all the games...
    The servers are in the same general area but they are not the same server...
    What does happen is that if there is a network outage then all the servers do go down but it is not actually the same server. The games don't always go down at the same time as plasticbat mentioned.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    tihi said:

I have been playing Neverwinter more or less since launch, and I play from Europe. Unless there are some problems with the network, I never have issues related to bad network performance. My ping is 150-160ms. Game performs smoothly.

So maybe you could elaborate a little bit more on how you perceive the game is misbehaving?

One thing in particular is worth commenting on: Packet losses. Ping is just one side of the network statistics, packet loss is another. If you have packet loss, game will be jerky and you might see rubberbanding. So when I say I have a good game experience at 150ms ping, it means 150ms ping with 0% packet loss.

High pings are often accompanied by packet loss(due to congestion issues), but low pings could also have packet loss(due to for instance line noise issues).

If there is something wrong with your network so you lose packets, game could be unplayable. It that case you could try talking to your ISP, or use a different ISP. You can diagnose packet loss with traceroute and ping.

• kors#9447 kors Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    150 it's your maximum? You're lucky man, come on XD

Your quantity it's my lowest one... My average ping is like 450 or 500 ms.
    When I have around 250 I can play, above it's harder. Sometimes there are crazy peaks of ping (2k+) and the game it's unplayable. Really high ping depends from my bad internet connection, but the one from the game it's 200 ms.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    kors#9447 said:

When I have around 250 I can play, above it's harder. Sometimes there are crazy peaks of ping (2k+) and the game it's unplayable. Really high ping depends from my bad internet connection, but the one from the game it's 200 ms.

Sounds like it is time to switch to another ISP if you have that option :)
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited September 2019

kors#9447 said:

Sounds like it is time to switch to another ISP if you have that option :)
    ISP would not help some countries simply do not have good pings. 250-500 ping is normal for many that is why having dungeons and skirmishes that rely on ping being low is not a good idea. This is not an arcade game a ping of 500 should not affect you unless you pvp
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)