test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Tower of the Mad Mage Trial Release Delayed

Comments

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

300k HP enough..? I've been trying for 400k. And - 239k power... - I hate you. 😅

If you never get hit 300k is enough, I don't recommend it if you are new to the trial.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

We have made the decision to delay the release of the new Trial until sometime next week. While the plan was to open it tomorrow, we discovered some exploits and bugs at the last minute that we feel are important to address first in order to conserve the integrity of the Trial design and the player gameplay experience. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate all the information and input from players that helped us identify the issues.

We will be updating this forum thread with any additional pertinent information.

A good thing ''unfortunately'', i don't know how you want us to run tomm capped to lomm, i'm dps and i'm doing WE everyday and all that i get is green-blue itens with defensive stats , i never did WE with 3 runes obviously, i don't want to waste a lot of stone of health and die like 10-20x because i'm not capped to kill that mobs and mini bosses. So, is the same system of watcher set, i need to run with 5 members and pray for my god to the dropped item come to me and with offensive status.... really ? what's the point cryptic? why you create this systems based on lucky? why we can't just collect coal magic in lomm and exchange in undermountain store or collect that itens dropped from gith or illith and choose what companiom gear we need? Basically if i want to do the new content even playing with '' end game '' account and not F*** everything there i will need to wait 2-4 months ? i can't understand cryptic mind, is like a woman...
    U can cap ToMM stats with blue gear, even green. Or with the purple things from mod 16. It requires u do spend some AD to get stats in other ways, but its possible, ive done it 3 times to get ready for ToMM.

IMO they should make a few quests with companiom item in reward like M16, i don't think we can get all stats with green-blue itens, we will be missing CA or ACC and loow power obviously, i'm ''desesperated'' because i never dropped that ring in ME but i could hit the cap to lomm but tomm i think is impossible, to do this you need to down 15-20k power and the power there is necessary like any other status.

Better that it is delayed by 1 week and any outstanding bugs are fixed, then it goes live now and people complain about bugs.

Greetings Adventurers,

We have made the decision to delay the release of the new Trial until sometime next week. While the plan was to open it tomorrow, we discovered some exploits and bugs at the last minute that we feel are important to address first in order to conserve the integrity of the Trial design and the player gameplay experience. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate all the information and input from players that helped us identify the issues.

We will be updating this forum thread with any additional pertinent information.

A good thing ''unfortunately'', i don't know how you want us to run tomm capped to lomm, i'm dps and i'm doing WE everyday and all that i get is green-blue itens with defensive stats , i never did WE with 3 runes obviously, i don't want to waste a lot of stone of health and die like 10-20x because i'm not capped to kill that mobs and mini bosses. So, is the same system of watcher set, i need to run with 5 members and pray for my god to the dropped item come to me and with offensive status.... really ? what's the point cryptic? why you create this systems based on lucky? why we can't just collect coal magic in lomm and exchange in undermountain store or collect that itens dropped from gith or illith and choose what companiom gear we need? Basically if i want to do the new content even playing with '' end game '' account and not F*** everything there i will need to wait 2-4 months ? i can't understand cryptic mind, is like a woman...
    If you aren't easily able to cap your stats, then you aren't ready for tomm.

Is not about be able but about the trash rgn system.

You can cap your stats with the m16 pet gear and then 1 piece of blue gear from m17, which can be purchased off the Auction house. I was running the trial this way on preview. The m17 gear is not necessary, it is nice to have.
    Hello Sharp, by capping do you mean only offensively or overall?
    Overall. Here are my stats:

(Combat Advantage is 130k as well).
    With this gear:

The burnt belt is not required to cap your stats, I used the rare version of it before I dropped the epic version, you just need to swap the Iron Golem's Presence with the Green Slime. The rare version can be bought off the AH for like 1k AD. You can then trade the 10k power mount (which I am using) for an hp mount and you have enough HP as well. The Grimoire is a guaranteed quest result from the quest which unlocks the trial in the first place, so acquiring it is not an issue.

If for some reason you wish to not use any m17 gear, you can also cap your stats with the plated belt, choke chain and pearl ring. Seeing as how the 1 piece of gear can be bought off the AH and the other is a guaranteed quest reward, I see no reason to explain how to cap with worse gear in the first place.

There's no way you are capping ArmorPen/Crit/Accuracy/CA/Defense with that gear

Funnily enough, I am.
    Thatàs what I meant. You are not capped on Critical Avoidance and I guess also on Awareness. That I can do too, fairly easily (even if I'm far away from your power).
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Awareness isn't needed since you are fighting just one enemy. Crit avoidance isn't a priority since enemies don't have player levels of crit severity. Crit Avoidance may be something that a tanks worry about as they get hit more often and have bigger hits to worry about, but with DPS, especially those that have played this trial since closed beta of M17, it's just not that much of a concern.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Awareness isn't needed since you are fighting just one enemy. Crit avoidance isn't a priority since enemies don't have player levels of crit severity. Crit Avoidance may be something that a tanks worry about as they get hit more often and have bigger hits to worry about, but with DPS, especially those that have played this trial since closed beta of M17, it's just not that much of a concern.

Understood, and thanks for the explanations on the trial
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited August 2019

arazith07 said:

Understood, and thanks for the explanations on the trial
    Only the healers and the tanks need critical avoidance in the trial. The only damage a dps should be taking, cannot crit (it has 0% crit chance). As for awareness, it isn't required. There is only a single boss and it cannot get CA.
    pantha7 said:

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

U can cap ToMM stats with blue gear, even green. Or with the purple things from mod 16. It requires u do spend some AD to get stats in other ways, but its possible, ive done it 3 times to get ready for ToMM.

IMO they should make a few quests with companiom item in reward like M16, i don't think we can get all stats with green-blue itens, we will be missing CA or ACC and loow power obviously, i'm ''desesperated'' because i never dropped that ring in ME but i could hit the cap to lomm but tomm i think is impossible, to do this you need to down 15-20k power and the power there is necessary like any other status.

Better that it is delayed by 1 week and any outstanding bugs are fixed, then it goes live now and people complain about bugs.

Greetings Adventurers,

You can cap your stats with the m16 pet gear and then 1 piece of blue gear from m17, which can be purchased off the Auction house. I was running the trial this way on preview. The m17 gear is not necessary, it is nice to have.

With this gear:

The burnt belt is not required to cap your stats, I used the rare version of it before I dropped the epic version, you just need to swap the Iron Golem's Presence with the Green Slime. The rare version can be bought off the AH for like 1k AD. You can then trade the 10k power mount (which I am using) for an hp mount and you have enough HP as well. The Grimoire is a guaranteed quest result from the quest which unlocks the trial in the first place, so acquiring it is not an issue.

If for some reason you wish to not use any m17 gear, you can also cap your stats with the plated belt, choke chain and pearl ring. Seeing as how the 1 piece of gear can be bought off the AH and the other is a guaranteed quest reward, I see no reason to explain how to cap with worse gear in the first place.

Funnily enough, I am.

LULZ ..you are joking .... you have the most expensive enchants and companions and possibly dominance insignias and you are bragging for your capped stats ...? your ....bondings cost 9mill ad, dominance insignias 22mill ad , alpha compy 21mill ad
    dude , did you get a loan from your bank to buy all these stuff and give them away to cryptic ?
    I have spent nothing on gearing this character, learning how to make AD is part of learning how to play the game. Furthermore, the item level requirement is only slightly lower than the maximum you should be at with a completely BiS DpS. I think the implication is very clear. You are expected to go into this raid with a perfect character.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

Greetings Adventurers,

With this gear:

Funnily enough, I am.
    are you using an augment still or a regular pet?

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

Greetings Adventurers,

With this gear:

Funnily enough, I am.
    are you using an augment still or a regular pet?
    Augment.
  • lassorlassor Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 60 Cryptic Developer
    Hey everyone!

We've fixed the issues we wanted to address on the Trial and it will be going live tomorrow morning (roughly 9am PDT). Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay!
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User

Come on... flat footed? tell the truth :p

My wizard... similar gear, more power in artifacts, all rank 15 radiants, all but 4 insignia's dominance. just no watcher set or alpha compy... AND with potions, and after hitting a target dummy and using tensers power and battle horn...

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2019

My wizard... similar gear, more power in artifacts, all rank 15 radiants, all but 4 insignia's dominance. just no watcher set or alpha compy... AND with potions, and after hitting a target dummy and using tensers power and battle horn...

It seems to me that would be a good example of higher IL not being better.

The key difference is +dps. With the current damage formula and also with the new one(albeit less), +dps will be far better than power usually.

Sharpedge is losing stats and power from using some low-IL(old) gear that gives +dps:
    Orcus set, enduring boots, ebony robes, shadowstalker ring.

And yes, it is a valid question: Are those stats with or without temporary values like potion buffs and procs?
    It probably would be easier to compare if we displayed unbuffed characters.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    So the trial is coming on live, with the now proved fact that 3 classes having a dps path are underperforming because they are WAI. Good luck to my fellow dps GF/DC/Barbs to get into that trial compared to the leading trio.
    Except it's not quite the same setup. Different set of enchantements, artifacts, companions, etc. A tank and a dps loadout ready for tomm need a considerable investment. If I have only my dps path ready for it and I know my tank path is not there yet, I'd like to be a minimum on par with the other dps classes, at least theoretically. Now that's a dev confirmed that 3 classes are underperforming because they work differently, don't you think it'll be a bit harder for them to get into groups? It sure is always possible, but way harder because it is official these classes are not on par with the leading trio.
  • sekosek#5740 sekosek Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    viraaal said:

agilesto said:

So the trial is coming on live, with the now proved fact that 3 classes having a dps path are underperforming because they are WAI. Good luck to my fellow dps GF/DC/Barbs to get into that trial compared to the leading trio.

I would gladly take a GF or barbie tank into the trial, and a DC healer. They have a place, I dont see an issue here.
    Did you consider that maybe some GFs, Barbs or DCs want to play as DPS. You can't just force a class to be a specific role just because classes are bugged and other classes are performing better.

Also let's say that they are ok being a tank for the trial, since trial needs perfectly builded and capped characters, changing from full DPS spec to full Tank spec requires heavy investment. Like building a totally new character except boons and bondings. This is a huge issue here I don't know how are you ok with it.

I know you have been playing Tank GF for this trial, imagine you are forced to play DPS GF or forced to build a new character. Game gives us choices with paragons, so we should be able to play the role we want. I think damage formula and class balances should be first priority to fix because it affects all the players and whole game.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    agilesto said:

Except it's not quite the same setup. Different set of enchantements, artifacts, companions, etc. A tank and a dps loadout ready for tomm need a considerable investment. If I have only my dps path ready for it and I know my tank path is not there yet, I'd like to be a minimum on par with the other dps classes, at least theoretically. Now that's a dev confirmed that 3 classes are underperforming because they work differently, don't you think it'll be a bit harder for them to get into groups? It sure is always possible, but way harder because it is official these classes are not on par with the leading trio.

Actually, there is a whole range of skill level and capability where if we take two equal groups of equal skill, but replacing 1 player for a different class (from those in discussion), one will succeeded and the other will fail.

20% difference is enough to create a wide enough margin of failure to be felt in practice.
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User

The key difference is +dps. With the current damage formula and also with the new one(albeit less), +dps will be far better than power usually.

Sharpedge is losing stats and power from using some low-IL(old) gear that gives +dps:

And yes, it is a valid question: Are those stats with or without temporary values like potion buffs and procs?

I spend plenty of time talking about maximizing characters on my twitch stream as well as youtube, so no stranger to +DPS gear not having as many stats generally speaking... I equipped the same gear as sharp to take that screenshot... I was teasing that the 239k Power number from sharp was highly unlikely to be flat footed. Most players including end game players will struggle to hit 175k flat footed power while running +DPS gear AND balancing stats, let alone 200k+... I'm running 180k flat footed on my wizard, with more power from artifacts.. the only thing I am missing that Sharp has is the alpha compy companion power, and that's not enough to add another 60k power... but you toss some potions on, go proc those power gain armor pieces, throw a tensers and battle horn in the mix.. and *tada* I have a screenshot showing me running 240k power.

I agree, it would be better to show unbuffed characters to ensure that those striving for end game have a realistic goal to aspire to. I guarantee that some people will see that 239k/ 240k power and just straight away give up, or they will spend countless hours trying to hit that flat footed and walk away with frustration. As side note, I have seen Sharps stats out of combat on preview, and they are impressive as is, without needing to pad the numbers :p

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • huashan#7979 huashan Member Posts: 27 Arc User

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

Greetings Adventurers,

what you tell me about who never dropped pearl ring ?
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

Greetings Adventurers,

As far as I know the pearl ring is a reward you get from the campaign, the problem is that for some reason some of us didn't get it and I have no idea about the reason.
    Because before that, you had to collect the 9 relics during the campaign expedition to Terminus (or Vanrakdoom, can't remember). It wasn't explicitly say anywhere, so if like me you missed one relic (for me it was the one behind the door in the twisted instance, it was 3 hours after the launch so I didn't know all the spots), you were doomed and never got the Pearl Ring.
    When enough people complained about it they moved these companion gear to the questgiver rewards to avoid this problem, and they put the Chocked Chain (something like that) in the campaign store. No mention of the Pearl Ring ever, we simply can't get it if we missed it at launch.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    agilesto said:

Because before that, you had to collect the 9 relics during the campaign expedition to Terminus (or Vanrakdoom, can't remember). It wasn't explicitly say anywhere, so if like me you missed one relic (for me it was the one behind the door in the twisted instance, it was 3 hours after the launch so I didn't know all the spots), you were doomed and never got the Pearl Ring.
    When enough people complained about it they moved these companion gear to the questgiver rewards to avoid this problem, and they put the Chocked Chain (something like that) in the campaign store. No mention of the Pearl Ring ever, we simply can't get it if we missed it at launch.

I'm one of those doomed player, I don't have the Pearl Ring on my Main...
    ...and I don't understand why it was not added to the campaign store ???
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • sekosek#5740 sekosek Member Posts: 120 Arc User

agilesto said:

I'm one of those doomed player, I don't have the Pearl Ring on my Main...
    ...and I don't understand why it was not added to the campaign store ???
    Same here, before ToMM it wasn't a big deal for me because capping arpen and crit was easier, but for ToMM without this Pearl Ring, capping stats might be a trouble. It is still possible for sure, but we need to sacrifice lots of defence or combat advantage for this.
    I think like choke chain of the companion, this piece also needs to be added to campaign store. Just to make it fair between players.
  • djnasty93djnasty93 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    For me the only issue its that Op Healer need to put shields every ''One shot phases'' or people with 70k defense and 290k Hp cannot stay alive, imagine that player with 2 Revive Sickness, he cannot stay alive with 30k of blue shields...
    Teorically Dc Healer need to heal tank fast cause he got highest (in tomm its a lil different) heal, Op paladin its for save everyone in certain phases where you will die even if people like Hr, Dc, put Dmg resistance

We cannot die in one shot phases if paladin doesnt crit and pass you half hp shielded

PS: im playn tomm with 385k hp, 60k defense and i use Boar Hide to reach 80k Defense, i can do it but there are some one shot phases like hypotermia that need some shields cause most of people in Hypotermia group will die.
    djnasty93 said:

For me the only issue its that Op Healer need to put shields every ''One shot phases'' or people with 70k defense and 290k Hp cannot stay alive, imagine that player with 2 Revive Sickness, he cannot stay alive with 30k of blue shields...
    Teorically Dc Healer need to heal tank fast cause he got highest (in tomm its a lil different) heal, Op paladin its for save everyone in certain phases where you will die even if people like Hr, Dc, put Dmg resistance

We cannot die in one shot phases if paladin doesnt crit and pass you half hp shielded

PS: im playn tomm with 385k hp, 60k defense and i use Boar Hide to reach 80k Defense, i can do it but there are some one shot phases like hypotermia that need some shields cause most of people in Hypotermia group will die.

You are supposed to have over 300k hp and 80k defense.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    The problem with this game isn't the content its the community expectations to run the content. Took a group of inexperienced players through LoMM mage and they didn't have the so called standard stats, in fact far from that. We ended up beating the content just fine.

Its players who show their stat like sharp that setup the game community expectation of needing 200K+ power for ToMM or the 180K+ power that many seek for LoMM. Neither is needed to beat either content. A group that does the mechanics and pays attention and have enough power to pass the dps check will be fine.

The problem I have with this game is that I was hoping the developers would have made us do less damage than we are now; but from what I saw they they have planned it looks like we will be doing more damage. Seriously, this game is to easy and the trial would be the only thing worth running but I have a feeling it will be fixed to be easier sooner than later because to many elite players won't be able to beat it. Developers always seem to cave in when it comes to content being to hard. If they don't I would be very surprised.

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

The problem with this game isn't the content its the community expectations to run the content. Took a group of inexperienced players through LoMM mage and they didn't have the so called standard stats, in fact far from that. We ended up beating the content just fine.

Its players who show their stat like sharp that setup the game community expectation of needing 200K+ power for ToMM or the 180K+ power that many seek for LoMM. Neither is needed to beat either content. A group that does the mechanics and pays attention and have enough power to pass the dps check will be fine.

The problem I have with this game is that I was hoping the developers would have made us do less damage than we are now; but from what I saw they they have planned it looks like we will be doing more damage. Seriously, this game is to easy and the trial would be the only thing worth running but I have a feeling it will be fixed to be easier sooner than later because to many elite players won't be able to beat it. Developers always seem to cave in when it comes to content being to hard. If they don't I would be very surprised.

You are correct that in most dungeons, the player base tends to ask for an overabundance of stats. ToMM is not like most content though, and from what I understand the dps checks in the trial are true dps checks, where if too much of the damage dealers die during the trial and get revive sickness, they may as well just wipe and start again. I ofc don't know what that margin of error is.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you all for your patience with the delay, and good luck to those who are heading into the Tower!
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    > @agilesto said:
    > So the trial is coming on live, with the now proved fact that 3 classes having a dps path are underperforming because they are WAI. Good luck to my fellow dps GF/DC/Barbs to get into that trial compared to the leading trio.

Warlock is an unknown object, overperforming as dps on paper... but somehow not. Same as I thought that classes were "balanced" and dps-checked despite all bugs. So the actual balance (wich is quite no balanced situation as we know) is based on those bugs or unintended calculation and found to be fine=balanced... That's how I understand actual balance.

At least those tanks can tank and DC/SW can heal, Soulweaver did improve from my last experiences. Anyway the amount of capable dps is so underwhelmingly low on PC, if you do good on your Arbiter Dreadn aught or Hellbringer you should get a spot... Somehow
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    nisckis said:

fyrstigor said:

Greetings Adventurers,

Greetings Adventurers,

As far as I know the pearl ring is a reward you get from the campaign, the problem is that for some reason some of us didn't get it and I have no idea about the reason.
    There was a bug that could make you get the relic and it wont count towards your 9 making you end with 8 (got that in 1 of my 5 toons) is really bad i can tell.

About the missing ring, there are some good gear dropping in 4Warden Expeditions that can fill that gap, is 1 Off and 1 Def of course but soem defensive Stats will not hinder you for the trial...
This discussion has been closed.