test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I don't know my role

allybell123allybell123 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
edited August 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
I have played for more than three years building up my gwf. I want you to tell me what my roll is now. I cant dps im 3rd on the rank of dps so please if you could explain to me what my role is in the game i would apprieciate it.

Moderator changed thread title to reflect topic of discussion.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• allybell123allybell123 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    sorry edit 3rd on rank of tank. I dont want a nerf of other toons why cant all toons do what their name suggests. Cleric heal tank tank dps dps is it really that hard plz explain this to us so we can understand what it is you doing so we can choose to pour more money in or not.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    You are the 3rd in paingiver does not mean you cannot dps. If you can't dps, you would be 5th. Your name is Barbarian now.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    First off if you can do more damage than a tank or a healer during a dungeon run you are a damage dealer, period. Even if you might not be the top damage dealer you are still a damage dealer if you are playing the damage dealer role.

As for tanking, I have seen quite a few good barbarians tank all content. I have no issues with any of the tanking classes. The nice thing with a barbarian tank is that most tend to be fairly good at producing damage as well, so they are worth of a pickup as a tank given this.

What irks me is the paingiver chart; that needs to go. Who cares about any of that as long as you complete the content.

ty both for you reply sighs i guess im just frustrated with changes ill get over it
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Lady Ganz was regularly the top DPS in the runs I had with her. Pre-M16 she had a very good build and gear. Having similar issues on some of mine, the frustration is understandable.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    It's not just you. 'Fortunately', your class is one of the three whose self-buffs are calculated correctly aka additively instead of multiplicatively. Rangers, rogues, and wizards will eventually get 'fixed', at which point no one will deal much dps. I feel your pain, though, seeing the current state of warlocks.
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    Pre-mod 16, since TONG arrived, GWFs enjoyed massive multipicative self-boons that saw them out-performing beleagured SWs, TRs, CWs and to a lesser extent HRs.

Now that it's been corrected, it feels very different. Barbarians are still performing very well, in the hands of top players, as was noted with Lady Ganz.
    I've seen current top players stand out amongst the crowd in all of the DPS, in almost all the DPS classes, although there are still some adjustments to make. You should see stand-out performances come from skillful, knowlegeable play and hard-earned gear, rather than picking a particular class - and I'm genuinely, finally starting to see that in Neverwinter.

Pre-mod 16, simply picking GWF and loosely following a decent build guide, gave you a clear advantage, even with clearly lower gear score than other DPS. Those times are gone.
    Thankfully, when you had it good, you had it very, very good. When TONG was new, and ultimate enchanting stone drops made you very rich, TONG was filled with GWFs, DCs and Pallies raking it in. There's been no clear advantage since that that drop, so you're not really missing out on much in the over-correction your possibly experiencing. I can tell you that, for example, not even guildies and friends would generally take CWs as DPS, and they weren't the popular choice as buffers either. This was a time when there was a lot of AD to be made by being selected for a party highly likely to succeed.

Take heart. It seems like corrections will continue as appropriate. Also, although you're sometimes coming in 3rd (and clearly not as used to that as other DPS classes had to be), the *gaps* between 1 and 3, given relatively equal gear and skill, is much, much lower than it used to be.
    The bottom line is, when party selection starts to matter again (new content with valuable drops that canbe sold on the AH), there won't be a reason to exclude you based on class, in the same way that happened to other DPS classes since mod 12.
    @lukejones77 i agree with all that i dont want nerfs to other toons as in the past this has never ever worked stop nerfing even it out. I use to run dungeons for those up and coming everyday i suppose i just miss that part of the game where i could run and help others i feel useless haha ill get over it and hope that they just stop nerfing and even things out more :)
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2019

Pre-mod 16, since TONG arrived, GWFs enjoyed massive multipicative self-boons that saw them out-performing beleagured SWs, TRs, CWs and to a lesser extent HRs.

Now that it's been corrected, it feels very different. Barbarians are still performing very well, in the hands of top players, as was noted with Lady Ganz.
    I've seen current top players stand out amongst the crowd in all of the DPS, in almost all the DPS classes, although there are still some adjustments to make. You should see stand-out performances come from skillful, knowlegeable play and hard-earned gear, rather than picking a particular class - and I'm genuinely, finally starting to see that in Neverwinter.

Pre-mod 16, simply picking GWF and loosely following a decent build guide, gave you a clear advantage, even with clearly lower gear score than other DPS. Those times are gone.
    Thankfully, when you had it good, you had it very, very good. When TONG was new, and ultimate enchanting stone drops made you very rich, TONG was filled with GWFs, DCs and Pallies raking it in. There's been no clear advantage since that that drop, so you're not really missing out on much in the over-correction your possibly experiencing. I can tell you that, for example, not even guildies and friends would generally take CWs as DPS, and they weren't the popular choice as buffers either. This was a time when there was a lot of AD to be made by being selected for a party highly likely to succeed.

Take heart. It seems like corrections will continue as appropriate. Also, although you're sometimes coming in 3rd (and clearly not as used to that as other DPS classes had to be), the *gaps* between 1 and 3, given relatively equal gear and skill, is much, much lower than it used to be.
    The bottom line is, when party selection starts to matter again (new content with valuable drops that canbe sold on the AH), there won't be a reason to exclude you based on class, in the same way that happened to other DPS classes since mod 12.

I agree with some of what you wrote but some of it is just wrong. In previous mods each class had a path or build that was wanted in end game content. The problem we went from is that some players didn't want to play their class in that role to get into content. We also didn't have content that was so hard you couldn't complete it without a specific setup. In the new trial there are 5 classes trying to get into 2 slots and 3 classes trying to get into 3 slots. We have 1-2 classes in the next mod that won't have a path to get into end game content. With the content requiring the 3 dps slots only we now have a situation where up to 1/4 of the classes can't do end game content. That hasn't been the case since mod 12. GWF in those mods didn't have buffs so they couldn't fill the buffer role in a party which is why they always were on the better side of dps in the dps classes.

Mod 16 fully changed how classes can get into end game. It removed almost all of the utility from the classes to help each other which means that dps are fully down to using dps to get into end game. In 10 man content the SW might get into one of the dps slots if they are really good at their class due to having some helpful party buffs. Not so much for the other classes. Tanks now are down to just tanking to get into content and only those with utility will get more play time. Healers are now down to paladin who can give shields that double a players hp so they are the far and away best healer in game with a race for second best between SW and DC.

Previous mods discouraged taking more than 1 of any class in a party which brought in a lot of different classes into content. This mod is different because there isn't any reason to stop from stacking the best dps classes into parties. In fact, the best parties will be those that only stack the best dps classes in them. Same for tank and healer roles. This is why if there isn't balance in the mod your just a thrown away class.
    Post edited by cherryman1 on
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k