test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Power vs %dmg

In the past I remember power had a diminishing return, and because of some complex math I do not understand +1%dmg was equal to about + 3000 power and this was back when power was 400:1. Now power is stated as 1000:1, so does 3000 power = +3%dmg and if not, why doesn't it?
is there a point when power starts to diminish in return, if so what point?
Tagged:

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    1000 power = 1% damage increase only when you have 0 power to start with. Once you have 100,000 power, that addition 1000 power adds less than 1% due to the previous power amount also adding to the damage increase. Unlike other stats, there is no counter stat to power, but also no cap. Power is also only one part of the total damage equation, so that 1% damage increase to power ends up only being a fraction. Unlike damage increase gear that affects the whole equation at once. For more in depth math behind it, here is a useful tool created by Janne. https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/power
  • chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    The percent increase in damage due to adding more power is:

Δp/(100,000+p) x 100%

where Δp is the increase in power, and p is your initial power.

As your power increases, the percent increase in damage decreases.

If you have 50,000 power, and you add 2,000 more power, your percent increase in damage is 1.33%.
    If you have 100,000 power, and you add 2,000 more power, your percent increase in damage is 1%.
    If you have 150,000 power, and you add 2,000 more power, your percent increase in damage is 0.8%.
    Etc.

• carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    Power does increase 1% per 1k, but it's additive, instead of multiplicative like buffs.

If you have 50k power, your damage is multiplied by 1.50 (1 + power/100000).
    If you add 3k power to that, 3% is *added* to the multiplier, so it becomes 1.53.

However, if you compare the old and new multipliers, you'll see that the new is only 2% higher than the old (as 1.53/1.50 = 1.02). So your damage will be only 2% higher.

So, there isn't a predefined curve, but power being additive makes it lose effectiveness as your current Power increases.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    The common mistake new players make is to think that the listed power damage multiplier is real. You have to add an additional 100% to whatever your listed percent is. That then, is your real damage multiplier. (cause you deal 100% damage with no power at all)

The power damage multiplier augments all other damages. In that sense, its multiplicative , just like a 3% damage multiplier from gear.

A 3% damage multiplier means... multiply total damage by 1.03
    A player with 150,000 power (150% bonus)... multiplies total damage by 2.50
    With 100% crit severity, on a crit without CA.. multiplies total damage by 2.00

With all three multiplied together your get:

Base Damage x 1.03 x 2.50 x 2.00 = 5.15 times more damage than Base

For a 4,000 damage weapon and a 375 magnitude encounter skill:

The base damage is 4,000 x 3.75 = 15,000

15,000 x the 5.15 multiplier = 77,250 damage on your strike (potentially). I say potentially cause it will be further modified by enemy defenses and any other buffs & debuffs that are occurring.

Generally, small bonuses can be thought of as additive. 3% is an extra 3%. It takes a huge amount of small bonuses to start multiplying out of their additive range. Ten 1% boosts, for instance, gives a combined 10.4% boost. A thousand 1% boosts would give you a 2,095,815% boost due to the power of exponential stacking. So, if your character had a thousand 1% boosts it could probably 1 hit any boss in the game. A 1000% boost would be pretty darn good too, but not as good as a thousand 1s.
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    3% is 3% of 100% damage, but you would be hitting a combined damage boost of around 500% from your power, crit, occasional CA, & weapon enchantment, plus other modifiers.

Adding a 3% boost to 500% means: 5.00 x 1.03 = 5.15 (gives you 15% extra base damage instead of 3%)

Top end players are hitting a combined total damage modifier of about 1000%. For them, a 3% boost is adding 30% of base damage.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    While I agree the +dmg can be more effective than the +power, but the question how much more effective. The +dmg gear applies only to a subset of abilities, so your +19 dmg gear may be more like +10 overall. And using all the available +dmg gear means you give up around 5.5K power you can get from the ME gear and in group, power that applies to all damage.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

well i have completely changed my build around and i have +19% dmg gear, and the "up to 20% dmg" bonus from demon lord set........i fail to really see a difference in dps between this and the mod 16 gear I was using.......I have 160k base power and 126k CA, and there is no way i am doing significantly more damage....definately not 50%

I fail to comprehend why you believe you'll be seeing anywhere near a 50% increase in damage.

I'm not home to check buffs on EQ, nor do I feel like wasting the time, so this as a generic example.

If you have:
    • 3% damage bonus to at-wills
    • 3% damage to melee x2
    • 3% damage to encounters
    • orcus set damage % is variable depending on health difference. you're never going to be doing 20% damage most of the time. we'll say 10% damage on average for giggles because im not doing math.

So by this example:
    • the 3% from at-wills only fires on at-wills which should proc a lot
    • 3% on melee (if you're a melee class) would proc a lot
    • 3% on encounters you'll proc the least out of these
    • orcus set, on mobs that melt easy I doubt you would see a huge difference. the difference in your hp and enemy hp would be negligible if you're one shotting mobs. where this would shine is on bosses or enemies with a lot more hp so there's more uptime.

So I guess the real question is how were you "testing" the changes. At a dummy? Running ACT to see difference in damage per attack? Or are you just running around attacking random mobs and "feeling" your way through your testing?

If you're hitting the necessary stats, the new gear is basically just item level. At the end of the day, if the +damage gear is only 1% more effective that still makes it better.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Given those pieces (dont know your class) the only thing you're guaranteed to be proccing all the time is the hood for 5%. There's so many variables in there like are you only using powers that are classed range, do you stay within 25' 100% of the time, do you dodge a lot and make the boots proc less, etc.

I obviously don't know your class, playstyle, powers used, etc to say anything more than that.

So you're tracking your damage through the paingiver? If so, we can skip the discussion because that, to me, is not an accurate way to determine anything other than "on this run I was better than this person, and on this one I wasn't".

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @pariswinters#7118 said:
    > well i have completely changed my build around and i have +19% dmg gear, and the "up to 20% dmg" bonus from demon lord set........i fail to really see a difference in dps between this and the mod 16 gear I was using.......I have 160k base power and 126k CA, and there is no way i am doing significantly more damage....definately not 50%
    >
    > I fail to comprehend why you believe you'll be seeing anywhere near a 50% increase in damage.
    >
    > I'm not home to check buffs on EQ, nor do I feel like wasting the time, so this as a generic example.
    >
    > If you have:
    > • 3% damage bonus to at-wills
    > • 3% damage to melee x2
    > • 3% damage to encounters
    > • orcus set damage % is variable depending on health difference. you're never going to be doing 20% damage most of the time. we'll say 10% damage on average for giggles because im not doing math.
    >
    > So by this example:
    > • the 3% from at-wills only fires on at-wills which should proc a lot
    > • 3% on melee (if you're a melee class) would proc a lot
    > • 3% on encounters you'll proc the least out of these
    > • orcus set, on mobs that melt easy I doubt you would see a huge difference. the difference in your hp and enemy hp would be negligible if you're one shotting mobs. where this would shine is on bosses or enemies with a lot more hp so there's more uptime.
    >
    > So I guess the real question is how were you "testing" the changes. At a dummy? Running ACT to see difference in damage per attack? Or are you just running around attacking random mobs and "feeling" your way through your testing?
    >
    > If you're hitting the necessary stats, the new gear is basically just item level. At the end of the day, if the +damage gear is only 1% more effective that still makes it better.
    >
    > I have shadowstalker 4, 2% dmg when 25' of enemy, terrored grips, +3% encounter dmg, protege hood, +5%dmg in UM, enduring boots, +3%dmg when stamina is over 75%, hags rags, +3% ranged dmg, ebonized raid ring, +3% ranged dmg. and i am going by avg lomm runs

That doesnt add up the way you describe.
    And there are a great many playstyle variables (positioning, rotation, etc).

You say "avg lomm runs". Please link your ACT Data. That will tell the whole tale.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • hrakhhrakh Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    ah yes, the "science is just a theory" way of thinking.. good thing nobody has the actual job to prove anything to anyone here :)
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited July 2019

hrakh said:

ah yes, the "science is just a theory" way of thinking.. good thing nobody has the actual job to prove anything to anyone here :)

I asked some questions, got some %dmg gear and tested it, gave my feedback. end of discussion.
    One question I didn't see asked; what was your power before swapping over to the damage % increase gear vs. using the damage gear? How much power did you lose?
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I just did an experiment on Preview, using the "fixed damage" weapon.

The first setup was with 2 Spy guild rings, both with a R15 Radiant enchant (so +9600 Power in total). The other setup used 2 Ebonized restoration rings with a +3% to ranged attacks, but only a single offensive slot (so there was a drop of 4800 Power). The bottom line was that the +dmg% rings gave roughly an overall 5% DPS boost - that is, they really gave a 6% boost, but the drop in Power meant only 5% total DPS increase.

Still certainly worthwhile. With 2x Ebonized raid rings instead, I would have gotten the full 6% boost, as they have 2 offensive slots.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    adinosii said:

I just did an experiment on Preview, using the "fixed damage" weapon.

The first setup was with 2 Spy guild rings, both with a R15 Radiant enchant (so +9600 Power in total). The other setup used 2 Ebonized restoration rings with a +3% to ranged attacks, but only a single offensive slot (so there was a drop of 4800 Power). The bottom line was that the +dmg% rings gave roughly an overall 5% DPS boost - that is, they really gave a 6% boost, but the drop in Power meant only 5% total DPS increase.

Still certainly worthwhile. With 2x Ebonized raid rings instead, I would have gotten the full 6% boost, as they have 2 offensive slots.

Actually it would be more than a 6% dmg boost as you would have an additional 4800 power. It would be closer to 6.1% increase. :)