test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Q&A Follow-Up Part 2

2»

Comments

• quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User

A lot of content creators (including myself) are making tools/videos in order to make the game more understandable and fun for players. I do get that you don't want to keep up a wiki with all the nitty gritty details on there yourself since that would be a lot of work, but why don't you see the advantage in collaborating with said content creators in order to make those tools happen more easily and with less work for yourself. Now you are forcing us to spend hours in understanding how the game works with extensive testing/reverse engineering the formulas. In the end it doesn't matter, we will figure it out anyway, but now we are wasting countless hours trying to figure stuff out where you could just provide the details and let us present it in an understandable way to the players. I am not talking about easter eggs/watcher set stuff by the way...

TLDR:
    Q. Why don't you collaborate with content creators to explain the game to players?

what the hell is a content creator?
    someone who makes videos on youtube or streams twitch????
    yes

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited May 2019

A lot of content creators (including myself) are making tools/videos in order to make the game more understandable and fun for players. I do get that you don't want to keep up a wiki with all the nitty gritty details on there yourself since that would be a lot of work, but why don't you see the advantage in collaborating with said content creators in order to make those tools happen more easily and with less work for yourself. Now you are forcing us to spend hours in understanding how the game works with extensive testing/reverse engineering the formulas. In the end it doesn't matter, we will figure it out anyway, but now we are wasting countless hours trying to figure stuff out where you could just provide the details and let us present it in an understandable way to the players. I am not talking about easter eggs/watcher set stuff by the way...

TLDR:
    Q. Why don't you collaborate with content creators to explain the game to players?

foundry author??
    why should they give youtubers twichies access to info the community doesn't have?
    they should have better tutorials in the game and a help section that explains mechanics ingame, as well as explains all the different stat caps for every single dungeon since they are never the same.
    if you are "creating content" you are doing it out of your own free will, you aren't paid to do it and you are not an employee of PW/cryptic, in no way should they be giving you access to inside information.
    Yes mainly those, or blogs, sites, tools, fan-art and so on, but those are even more forgotten than the streamers / youtubers..
    edited May 2019

TLDR:

foundry author??
    why should they give youtubers twichies access to info the community doesn't have?
    they should have better tutorials in the game and a help section that explains mechanics ingame, as well as explains all the different stat caps for every single dungeon since they are never the same.
    if you are "creating content" you are doing it out of your own free will, you aren't paid to do it and you are not an employee of PW/cryptic, in no way should they be giving you access to inside information.
    Since it was edited:

No one asked for some top secret information or for it to be exclusive, people who invest the time to write those tutorials, guides, tools, and other things on their own time without any compensation, know better than those that do not, what to ask and what to confirm to create a better tool, guide, etc..

Especially when the purpose to begin with is to make it public if it's information or for items and such for testing it's all done on preview.

Some cooperation and help will save everyone time, especially when some of those content creators put a lot of time to those exact tutorials and information that Cryptic saves on not doing. People do not ask for earth shattering things, and the little that is being asked only helps everyone involved and especially some of the ungrateful members of the player
    base.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User

Q. The rewards for the dungeons are still not as good as needed. It is a mod 16 difficulty dungeon run with mod 8 rewards. It makes people not want to run any of the dungeons.
    Seals are part of the rewards which allow players to earn new gear when running old dungeons and these typically get updated as the end game gear progresses. Rough Astral Diamonds are rewards for all levels of play which the random queues provide as rewards for dungeon runs.

Q. Why increase the difficulty but not the reward?
    Assuming this is in regard to Rough Astral Diamonds, the difficulty of the dungeons kept getting easier while the rewards remained the same. The adjustments were made to put the dungeons back to a more proper level of difficulty for their rewards.

It’s not just about RAD.
    It’s also about the gear, both Prized and Ebonized would be a great addition to the loot tables for old dungeons, replacing obsolete gear.
    That obsolete gear should be available from a vendor for seals/trade bars in case people want it for transmutes.

Q. Why didn’t the player scaling down get done by scaling down power/hp/weapon damage and player keep other ratings?
    The critters being fought in different scaled down areas have different rating levels. Scaling is intended to scale the character down to an appropriate point for the given content.

Thank you for answering, however this is only half the question.

We have been told that the different level ratings are a target, that sets where maximum effectiveness of character stats are. For example, 57000 is the target for 100% effectiveness for Armor Pen. We have been told that having 100k Armor Pen is no better than having 57000 if the critter’s rating is 57000.

So, if this is true (ratings are effectiveness caps), why are stat caps needed outside of the specifically uncapped stats (Power & HP) and Weapon Damage?

“Appropriate for a level” is not set by any other stats in reality. All the other stats can never be more than their maximum effectiveness, so why create the situation you have where progress in them is punished?

I see level 80 characters that are not capped for level 70 (57000), and these characters are getting scaled down further.

The entire scaling system seems to exist outside the rating system and thus ends up punishing progression, especially for those who have progressed the least.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited May 2019

ah well i guess that makes me a "content creator" since I've been doing a guide on mmominds for over a year LOL
    I gather all my info by trial and error, why should it be any easier for anyone else???
    The Devs of this game do not give any real information or guide on how to play or what stats you need where, these are all left to us, the players, to determine....I see nothing wrong with this O.o

Yes, well, unfortunately things like stats I know, yet I will be grateful if you save me and others the time and determine how exactly augment stats are determined accounting Bolster, Companion Influence, Rank (level) and Quality.

Also a pack of all the icons of powers (encounters, dailies, at-wills) feats and class features, for all classes will be great, high quality (While I can take those from the game files, this is against the ToS, and we wouldn't want to break that, would we).
    Icons for all the consumables and buffs will be splendid, and silhouettes for the classes will be great too.

Oh and mount powers and companion info for those rare not on collections.

And there is one thing, that I almost forgot, and didn't get to check, how are there deflected hits with capped accuracy?

edited May 2019

micky1p00 said:

ah well i guess that makes me a "content creator" since I've been doing a guide on mmominds for over a year LOL
    I gather all my info by trial and error, why should it be any easier for anyone else???
    The Devs of this game do not give any real information or guide on how to play or what stats you need where, these are all left to us, the players, to determine....I see nothing wrong with this O.o

Yes, well, unfortunately things like stats I know, yet I will be grateful if you save me and others the time and determine how exactly augment stats are determined accounting Bolster, Companion Influence, Rank (level) and Quality.

Also a pack of all the icons of powers (encounters, dailies, at-wills) feats and class features, for all classes will be great, high quality (While I can take those from the game files, this is against the ToS, and we wouldn't want to break that, would we).
    Icons for all the consumables and buffs will be splendid, and silhouettes for the classes will be great too.

Oh and mount powers and companion info for those rare not on collections.

And there is one thing, that I almost forgot, and didn't get to check, how are there deflected hits with capped accuracy?

you have opposing stats and deflect chance caps at 50% then it makes sense that there is only a max ~75% chance of not being deflected....why should you get 100% non deflected hits when the opponent only has a maximum 50% chance to deflect in the first place? just from reading this I come to the conclusion that at capped accuracy you have a max 50% chance to not be deflected and anything less then cap your chance of not being deflected drops even lower....because with really low accuracy i notice mobs deflect my attacks nearly 100%

edit: i'm not a math wiz so i'm sure my estimates are a bit skewed, but the general idea of not having a 100% chance to not be deflected makes perfect since to me with these opposing stats.
    To be fair, I wasn't expecting you to answer to this, the points is, while I very much would like an answer to them (from the Devs), are to demonstrate issues and things that are hard to solve without Dev cooperation.
    From augment stats that will take crapton of time to gather the data, to then reverse-engineer the formula / or fit one, for little gain.
    To graphic assets that are an issue, and the random stats that I will get to in a sec.

A minor disclaimer, I fall under this 'content creator' category, and except mainly Rogue class stuff, group synergy stuff, and tools, the main thing I've 'content created' was about stats and math, so back to accuracy etc..

Without the Devs publishing the critters counter stats, it would have been a time consuming and in-accurate effort to approximate some of those, specifically those that based on randomness, crit and deflect (and their counters), it will take large amount of combat logs (checking stats in jumps / binary search or something), parsing, looking for mistakes and getting some approximation with some confidence. There are people who perhaps would do it, I wouldn't.
    I don't know if it is a direct cause or not, but those counter stats were not originally known or displayed. We asked and complained in closed beta until it was assured that they will be.

To the specific example:

Deflect chance is capped at 50%, but it can be 0 if the counter stats = the stat, in our case in highest content it will be 68k accuracy.
    At this point, the chance will be (targetDeflect - Accuracy) / 1000 = 0 (The cap is calculated on the percent, posted by Devs - another example why cooperation is useful)
    So nothing should deflect.

Mobs deflect at 100%:

This will take a large sample size to prove, if you have the logs, it will be great to see. The issue is that deflect is random, and with a capped chance at 50% (as posted by devs) you still can have multiple deflects in a row.
    An example will be a coin flip, heads will be deflect, tail will be not-deflect, the chance is exactly 50%, but you still can have 10 heads in a row.

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

... if you don't use reroll tokens it's always the same lowest RAD reward...

Sorry, that's just ridiculous.
    I regularly regret using re-rolls after I end up with less than the first offer, which is often the highest of the 5 or 6 offers.

By all means exaggerate, that's part of what an internet forum is for... but flat out bull HAMSTER doesn't help anyone.
    I disagree with both of these statements. there are times the best reroll is the first. and there are times it's not. it seems 100 percent rng to me. I wouldn't say it's often the first because often it's not. I wouldn't say it's often the worst because often it's not.
  • rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User

TLDR:

foundry author??
    As others said, I am not asking for secret information. Just for help with stuff that otherwise we have to determine by hours of testing (it's possible, done it multiple times - but why?!) and then still could be wrong. I want to provide correct and useful information to the players in a time efficient way - if you don't care about that, that's fine.

As for providing this information to the complete community directly - that's fine also. I am not asking for preferential treatment. The problem is that the information will most likely not be fully understandable for the community. That's where the content creators come in - they can help molding the information in an understandable way. To give you an example - the devs could just dump all the details in the patch notes, but nobody would read it anymore because it wouldn't make sense anymore.

Hope this clear some things up.
  • rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited May 2019

yes it does and thank you, I want to apologize for being so trite about it. this damn mod has me pulling my hair out!

Don't worry about it, frustration can be felt everywhere:wink:

To put this theoretical story into context - I am making a full-fledged offline character builder - and it is going to be amazing. I truly am really excited about it and it's going to be very useful for the community, because it supports saving/loading your build into a tiny 3kB file that can be shared with others. Build sharing 2.0 :smile: . If you are interested to know more about it just send me a PM

The issue is that we have to figure out by ourselves where stats are coming from and how they are calculated which takes a lot of time and is delaying my our progress.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

... if you don't use reroll tokens it's always the same lowest RAD reward...

Sorry, that's just ridiculous.
    I regularly regret using re-rolls after I end up with less than the first offer, which is often the highest of the 5 or 6 offers.

By all means exaggerate, that's part of what an internet forum is for... but flat out bull HAMSTER doesn't help anyone.
    I disagree with both of these statements. there are times the best reroll is the first. and there are times it's not. it seems 100 percent rng to me. I wouldn't say it's often the first because often it's not. I wouldn't say it's often the worst because often it's not.
    ?
    You disagree with both my statements?
    Or with the statement I was replying to and my response?
  • mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User

eolee said:

Q. Why are clerics not top healing?
    No one healing class should be the most useful in all situations. The goal of having multiple classes able to fill a role is that they each bring their own style and approach to that role but are all equally viable to use.

Can someone in the devs team (or any player really) then explain to me how one soulweaver is supposed to heal the Worm boss fight in LoMM when the boss isnt targetable and is discharging electricity on party? We only have so many soulsparks.
    My cleric and my pally can build up divinity with tab and are successfully healing the group, my warlock cant build sparks without something to hit.
    Same for CR, during long AoE phases, how does one soulweaver heal without the capacity of rebuilding soul sparks if needed? Nothing to target either, and if lots of heals are needed because of the group, then the soulweaver is useless, again.

I can heal cocoon and last boss just fine. Second boss i need a pinata...And thats not even convincing.

soulweaver cannot even cleanse themselves, the path is obviously meant to be a 2nd spare healer for epic trials or possibly gauntylgrym or something, soulweaver is not viable as the sole healer in a group.
    yeah warlock's bargain isn't much of a bargain considering how many negative effects can stack for party members. A warlock's soul is worth more than what the bargain gives...
    Instead of removing one effect from party members and none from self, how about something like stacking those negative effects onto the warlock so when they reach a certain number he can clear them all from self and any new ones from party members.
    Anyway, something should be done about it because he doesn't really seem to be a comparable healer if devs are truly concerned about class balance. He gets to stay poisoned, slowed down and any other effects that will inhibit him from being able to keep up with the party or stay alive to keep them healthy.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    For the love of Gond, can you please label which streams these are in response to?
    It would save us all the bother of accidentally asking questions that were not covered in this stream.

all we need is "May 21st Stream follow up" and "June 4th stream follow up."

I almost babbled on about stuff covered on the 4th before i realized this is not the place for it.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I think they have stopped bothering creating Follow up threads for streams. I get the feeling these streams are just meant to placate.
    Perhaps i should start my own after each Stream.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.