test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The State of Neverwinter: May 21 Q & A stream recap

Comments

• perigryne#9595 perigryne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Events like the one going on right now, 'Siege of NeverWinter' scales everyone at 60 still. Was this intended? Or is it cause its a brand new event entirely? Forgive my naivety Im new to NeverWinter as a whole and still getting used to things. Side Note: Im not too much of a PvPer but I was wondering what you guys plan on doing about your PvP ques... they are completely non-existant, and I find that to be sad.. so what are you guys at Cryptic going to do moving forward about that? Theres an entire tree of boons that no one (especially the new player base such as myself) are ever going to have access to because of the PvP drought so to speak. Maybe you could address that in the next "State of NeverWinter"... maybe?
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Take a level 80 casual players toon, which would have about 15k ilevel into any of the scaled level 70 content and see if it is challenging for them or not. Currently that is an issue for many casual players. There are still casual players that find LoL challenging, so it is really all a matter of perspective.

I'm not sure why it's mutually exclusive. The challenge part is to make things fun.
    It's all nice when you can clear a dungeon without issues, once, twice, do it 20 times and you fall asleep. After that, is there a meaning to do more? Will a casual player want to waste their only hour in a day that they can play game to do the exactly same dungeon with exactly the same outcome?

Some I guess would, but I wouldn't.
    The idea of a challenge, is to use that one hour in a meaningful way, some runs will fail, some will succeed, but then, when success is not assured (and not due to nasty pugs that you want to strangulate), there is a feeling of accomplishment add to this a proper in-game reward and you get fun.

Shame that there is no either challenge nor reward, hence forum posts about no fun.

As a side note, I'm sure some want mindless repetitive grind, but for that there are dailies (And RL).
  • robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited May 2019

... look at what's really going on. ...

You are impressed with a guy that is spamming healing stones? (i.e. P2W part)
    My point is that it's healing stones, not the class that makes such a huge difference.
    Before linking such videos pay attention if healing stones are used or not.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    )

Events like the one going on right now, 'Siege of NeverWinter' scales everyone at 60 still. Was this intended? Or is it cause its a brand new event entirely? Forgive my naivety Im new to NeverWinter as a whole and still getting used to things. Side Note: Im not too much of a PvPer but I was wondering what you guys plan on doing about your PvP ques... they are completely non-existant, and I find that to be sad.. so what are you guys at Cryptic going to do moving forward about that? Theres an entire tree of boons that no one (especially the new player base such as myself) are ever going to have access to because of the PvP drought so to speak. Maybe you could address that in the next "State of NeverWinter"... maybe?

The fixes haven't gone live yet.
    When the fixes go live, events like Siege will scale to 40 instead of 60, but until they implement the fix, they will continue to scale at 60.
    I've not been on preview so couldn't tell you whether the scaling changes are up on the preview server yet, but the fix will go through preview to make sure it doesn't break more than it mends and then transfer to live on approval.
  • kenni46rus#9742 kenni46rus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    robai

You are impressed with a guy that is spamming healing stones? (i.e. P2W part)
    My point is that it's healing stones, not the class that makes such a huge difference.
    Before linking such videos pay attention if healing stones are used or not. All you could see was healing stones? ) I personally saw the damage from the smoldering skill increased to fantastic proportions. Analogue that is not in the game. a hunter can become a competitor to a mage. I hope that the tendency will get to you when you assemble a team consisting of four magicians and a healer or four hunters and a healer
  • robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User

All you could see was healing stones? ) I personally saw the damage from the smoldering skill increased to fantastic proportions. Analogue that is not in the game. a hunter can become a competitor to a mage. I hope that the tendency will get to you when you assemble a team consisting of four magicians and a healer or four hunters and a healer

Damage doesn't matter if you are dead.
    I'd like to see some real performance without using healing stones, i. e. how long a player using some class can survive without dying. Then we can compare and discuss which class is better.
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Once again, I am not trolling anybody. I am only pointing out the obvious and asking the questions that matter the most that nobody appears to want to answer.

You've imposed punishing scaling on players who worked hard (Months of grinding!) to get their characters to the maximum level with BiS everything only to have a low-level mob kill them with one shot. You also appear to be punishing players for being "too good" or "to dedicated" at playing this game. How precisely is that fun?

It is not fun. It's an insult.

You've imposed a punishing cap on refined items (Artifact Gear, Artifacts, Enchantments, Enhancements, Runes, Companions) along with cutting stats in half or removing bonuses and procs altogether. Why should I even bother refining at all?

More to the point, why should I bother to spend my money on ZEN to buy anything from the ZEN store (Mounts, Companions, Gear, Wards) if you are just going to take away from me what I have paid for in good faith?

This isn't making the game more challenging or more fun. It's a betrayal of your customers.

This isn't encouraging players to buy and spend ZEN in the ZEN store. I definitely will not!

You released a badly thought-out mod that made a genuinely beautiful game unplayable and... no fun.

For example: Today I ran the Master of the Hunt skirmish as it is the only one where my Wizard doesn't get killed with one shot. I am hitting npcs with my useless-as-rubber-attacks while all of my team mates are dying around me. I am taking heavy damage but not dying. The boss drinks his healing potion and gets his HP back to 80%-90% while endless waves of secondary mobs spawn in rapid succession. Players quit the group, and reinforcements are summoned. The boss fight needlessly drags on! More players quit the group, and more are added. As is typical to post mod 16 Master of the Hunt, my Wizard that should be filling a DPS role is literally serving the role of a Tank for the entire party.

(Perhaps Wizards should have a Tank paragon path: which would harken to the very Tanky Pale Master Prestige Class of 3.5/5.0 quite nicely. Bone Skin does make a difference. I still remember how Tanky a Pale Master Monk could be!)

How exactly is this fun?

Fun as in "watching a train-wreck" fun or fun as in "sabotaging the players efforts" fun?

If your bosses ordered you to make these catastrophic changes, I feel sad for you because it isn't your fault but the top brass' fault. But if the game engine has hit it's limit and you cannot possibly add anything more to this game without making such catastrophic changes... it would be far more honest just to tell us up front that this is the problem you are facing.

Let me reiterate once again: I am not trolling.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    while the previous poster has some valid points, I cannot agree with the complaints about the Master of the hunt. Regarding his healing, just don't ignore the mechanisms... kill the little guys that heal him first. Also, it is highly recommended to have a second loadout for scaled-down content. For example, in my main DPS loadout, I have maxed ArPen, so I pick my guild Power boon and mounts and companions that give Power. In my scaled-down loadout, I pick guild ArPen boons and mounts/companions rhat give ArPen or Accuracy instead. This makes a massive DPS difference.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    @caldochaud#4880

MoH isn't locked by the 1tank/1heal/3dps rule (so you can pop in as a 5 healers party, which is quite meh). But even if it was the case, MoH is an exemple of bad stratified designs (+bug).

A party with at least one well built 20k dps will stomp MoH (maybe ~5 minutes instead of 2min30 previous mod16 ?). So it can feel to be a very easy run. If it's not the case, the 20k guy should question himself about his build.
    But most of the players won't run the RLQ with their main(s) because the rAD bonus from prays is usually depleted on them. Better to take one toon in your alt-army who still have his 150k rAD bonus ^^'.

MoH is also counting for the "sharandar support" stronghold quest which encourages people to throw in guilded alt (you just need to start it 3 times to validate the quest, no need to finish it, explaining the fact that so much people are leaving it when it's not a fast run carried by a big toon. That's an old bug, I hope one day it would be fixed + ban wave for exploiting it :P), .

So, as a consequence (somehow by design), your party in there is usually full of crappy Vistani/Mountaineer (or worse) alt-toons.

If you pop in with one of your main, even if you are a "medium" IL, you will usually be much more efficient than anyone else in the group, hence taking agro even if there is a Vistani/Mountaineer tank with you, and you have to carry the others...
    If you are on a not so well equiped toon, and want to finish MoH : brace yourself because you will probably enter in a painful run.
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    adinosii said:

while the previous poster has some valid points, I cannot agree with the complaints about the Master of the hunt. Regarding his healing, just don't ignore the mechanisms... kill the little guys that heal him first. Also, it is highly recommended to have a second loadout for scaled-down content. For example, in my main DPS loadout, I have maxed ArPen, so I pick my guild Power boon and mounts and companions that give Power. In my scaled-down loadout, I pick guild ArPen boons and mounts/companions rhat give ArPen or Accuracy instead. This makes a massive DPS difference.

This.

Although it's really frustrating that you are forced to maintain a "scaled" loadout to remain optimal.

• enositis#4402 enositis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    you guys made the 80% of my alliance leave the game. the only thing you can do is to resign
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

I'm not sure why it's mutually exclusive. The challenge part is to make things fun.
    It's all nice when you can clear a dungeon without issues, once, twice, do it 20 times and you fall asleep. After that, is there a meaning to do more? Will a casual player want to waste their only hour in a day that they can play game to do the exactly same dungeon with exactly the same outcome?

Some I guess would, but I wouldn't.
    The idea of a challenge, is to use that one hour in a meaningful way, some runs will fail, some will succeed, but then, when success is not assured (and not due to nasty pugs that you want to strangulate), there is a feeling of accomplishment add to this a proper in-game reward and you get fun.

Shame that there is no either challenge nor reward, hence forum posts about no fun.

As a side note, I'm sure some want mindless repetitive grind, but for that there are dailies (And RL).

And that was the content I was talking about being not as easy for many ilevel15ks with the scaling that is present now, the daily quests in zones. As they are now, they are not fun for anyone to do. And especially for those that only play solo.

Most casual players that only have 1 hour to play a day are not even going to try to do a dungeon anyway, as they will not have the time.

• tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    Never forget Mod 6
  • ravenloft#2213 ravenloft Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Its supposed to be a group game not solo so make it that way. Anyone who doesn't like it there are plenty of solo games out there. In dungeons no one person should be able to run through it and have to wait for others to catch up thats not D&D at all.