test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16 Basic Melee Warden Build

artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
edited June 2019 in The Wilds
For anyone lost in the changes, here's a basic but effective melee build i've been using.

At-wills
  • Storm Strike
  • Clear the Ground
Encounters
  • Hindering Strike
  • Marauder's Rush
  • Boar Charge
Daily Action
  • Call of the Storm
Class Features
  • Blade Storm
  • Seeker's Vengeance
Feats
  • Focused
  • Storm's Recovery
  • Blade Hurricane
  • Skirmisher's Gambit
  • Enhanced Conductivity
Rotation: As usual, encounter --> at-wills x3 --> encounter --> at-wills x3 unless another encounter is enough to finish your target.

Ability Scores hardly make a difference. CHA and STR probably are the best choices but keep in mind that Storm Strike, Clear the Ground and Call of the Storm deal lightning damage which is influenced by INT, not STR.

Armor: Keep all your +X% damage gear, it's better than most of the stuff that drops in undermountain except the hood with +5% damage and the shirt which reduces cooldowns.

Cloak and belt: Demon lord's set or Apprentice's spoils set. Demon lord has a great set bonus but very low stats. Apprentice's spoils have great stats and a semi-useful set bonus. If you already have a demon set I'd say keep it. If you're on a budget, Lostmauth's Hoard isn't so bad, specially on an otherwise weak character.

Quickbar: Get yourself a doohickey.

Enchantments: Radiants for both offense and defense, darks for utility. Vorpal for weapon.

Kits: Power for armor, CA for jewels

Boons: +% damage, movement speed, companion influence, power, recovery speed, critical severity, bloodlust.

Companions: Get a legendary augment ASAP. The best choices are Bulette Pup and Quasit but the difference is small. Check their Enhancement extra stats here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RzTEWS-tPNWYWynZW1hcR0W46rGtOeV9i78Lm2dOdEE/edit?usp=sharing

Player Bonus Powers: It's all about power, here are some of the best ones.
  • Deepcrow Hatchling (mandatory)
  • Kenku Archer
  • Ghost
  • Mercenary
  • Neverember Guard Archer
  • Minstrel
Insignia Boni
  • Gladiator's Guile x2 (15% movement speed)
  • Barbarian's Revelry x2 (1.5% max health)
  • whatever you want, maybe another Guile.
Insignia Types
  • Dominance where possible : regal, illuminated and barbed
  • Prosperity or Fortitude for the rest : crescent and enlightened
Post edited by artifleur on

Comments

• typo#6563 typo Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for posting! This should be helpful. Are you possibly aware of any basic builds for the Hunter paragon?

BTW, I shared your build in a comment to a guy on Reddit who was asking about builds. I also shared it in the HR Discord, including pinning it up in the Pinned builds section. If you have any more detailed builds later, happy to update those to whatever new stuff you have. I think this is incredibly timely and many HRs will appreciate it.
    Post edited by typo#6563 on
    Extraneous Typo

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    how are you meeting all the stat requirements with old gear and rads only?
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User

how are you meeting all the stat requirements with old gear and rads only?

Legendary augment :)
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    artifleur said:

Ability Scores hardly make a difference but I picked DEX and CHA.

Even though it's 0.025% per point... I am quite sure that your melee attacks benefit from STR rather than DEX.

Though I don't blame you for running (:smirk:) DEX for the extra run speed.
    artifleur said:

Gear: Keep all your +X% damage gear, it's better than most of the stuff that drops in undermountain except the hood with +5% damage and the shirt which reduces cooldowns. I haven't decided on a cloak and belt set yet.

I'd also go with the pants that generates 4 AP (guessing it's 4 as in 4/1000, not 4% of total) if you score a crit.
    Unless HR Dailies still suck, which is all part of being overbalanced :trollface:
    artifleur said:

• Deepcrow Hatchling (mandatory)
    No Tamed Velociraptor?
    FeelsPUGMan
    artifleur said:

Insignia Boni

• whatever you want, maybe Wanderer's Fortune
    Champion's Return is merely ok, but not too amazing. Still better than most options available, not sure if it's worth using for HR.

You also forgot to mention insignia types, reinforcement kits, Runestone types, and companion gear.
    0/10, throw in garbage

:trollface:

rjc9000 said:

Even though it's 0.025% per point... I am quite sure that your melee attacks benefit from STR rather than DEX.

Though I don't blame you for running (:smirk:) DEX for the extra run speed.

Extra run speed with 0.5% crit severity on top!
    rjc9000 said:

I'd also go with the pants that generates 4 AP (guessing it's 4 as in 4/1000, not 4% of total) if you score a crit.
    Unless HR Dailies still suck, which is all part of being overbalanced :trollface:

Forest Ghost is a lot better than before but still not a priority. Some extra AP certainly wouldn't hurt, though.
    rjc9000 said:

No Tamed Velociraptor?

... and share my power with other players? No way! That's totally against mod16 philosophy.
    rjc9000 said:

You also forgot to mention insignia types, reinforcement kits, Runestone types, and companion gear.
    0/10, throw in garbage

:trollface:

I knew I wouldn't meet your standards but I'll keep trying! ;)
    edited April 2019
    @artifleur So when you say hang on to gear that does damage but you haven't decided on a belt and cloak set yet, is the Demon lord Immortality set at all in consideration? Newer sets offer better stats, I think, but that damage bonus is quite nice.
    Extraneous Typo

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I would think shepards devotion would still be something everyone should have outfitted too in group content like now. in a party of five that's 50% runspeed yes? and while rangers should be focused on crit, it seems like for solo content a tanky companion would really help over an augment. in test I was playing with a dread warrior and he was an excellent tank. allowed me to survive most things. I was even able to walk away and let him take the battle. he took so much aggro that I was only down half health not doing anything at all.
    typo#6563 said:

@artifleur So when you say hang on to gear that does damage but you haven't decided on a belt and cloak set yet, is the Demon lord Immortality set at all in consideration? Newer sets offer better stats, I think, but that damage bonus is quite nice.

The demon lord set is in a weird state atm. Its AP gain is replaced by +1 STR and CON. It seems to be intended, I suppose as a nerf. So, I'm afraid it's going to be further nerfed, probably by replacing the set bonus. Otherwise, it's definitely better than the undermountain sets.

Lostmauth also is an interesting option. However, we don't do as many small hits as we used too, so it may not be worth it. I don't have access to ACT atm so I can't tell for sure. I'm confident it would be nice on a smolder wizard.

For a pewpew hunter, however, the undermountain sets are a lot more interesting cause you can keep them running a lot with disrupting shot.

I would think shepards devotion would still be something everyone should have outfitted too in group content like now. in a party of five that's 50% runspeed yes? and while rangers should be focused on crit, it seems like for solo content a tanky companion would really help over an augment. in test I was playing with a dread warrior and he was an excellent tank. allowed me to survive most things. I was even able to walk away and let him take the battle. he took so much aggro that I was only down half health not doing anything at all.

I've never had any problem tanking solo content but my defense is capped too.
  • sormovichsormovich Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    @artifleur, can you please explain to me:
    - Why augment?
    - Why Bulette Pup and Quasit are the best choice, and Polar Bear Cub and Star of Simril are not? They also have Power in their stats.
    Sorry for my English.
    sormovich said:

- Why augment?
    - Why Bulette Pup and Quasit are the best choice, and Polar Bear Cub and Star of Simril are not? They also have Power in their stats.

@sormovich Artifleur may say more, but just figured I would quickly mention that Augments seem to have gained wide consideration (by many but perhaps not everyone) as the BIS choice for Mod 16. One reason is Bonding stones now work with Augments and no longer require procing since they function like Eldritch stones used to. So Augments with Bonding stones are the best arrangement for the most stats. A summoned fighting companion could potentially provide some extra DPS, or maybe some tanking, or some other select ability, but a lot of the regular companions, like the popular Tiger, are just not very good anymore in Mod 16. There are a few companions that seem capable, but they may be nerf targets soon. The Bullette Pup and Quasit offer self healing and regeneration respectfully, so that seems all about survivability. Polar Bear Cub is just outgoing healing I think, but Star of Simril may not be a bad alternative, however Quasit just has the stronger regeneration. As more bug fixes and adjustments come in, some of this may need to change, but overall I think this is a solid build for where things are at right now with Mod 16.
    Extraneous Typo

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    artifleur said:

Lostmauth also is an interesting option. However, we don't do as many small hits as we used too, so it may not be worth it. I don't have access to ACT atm so I can't tell for sure. I'm confident it would be nice on a smolder wizard.

Lostmauth is okay, I think it's BiS at least on Fighter and maybe Barbie, it made up ~3-5% of my total DPS.
    Not sure it'd be good on pyromaniac Wizard, you're better off taking that feat that makes Smolder hit instantly (if it still exists). You'd also need to check if it would proc off of Smolder or whatever. Another thing to take into consideration is the set bonus doesn't scale with anything (but can be loldeflected), so if you're a class that relies on self buffs (do they even exist?), Lostmauth may not be so great.

Orcus set is decent but no AP Gain is a killer for me, even if the set bonus is up for a decent bit. Sets like Wyvern have AP Gain but meh set bonus for most due to only coming from daily attacks.

I think Combat might be liking the Apprentice set, it supposedly says it gives a 15% dmg bonus when enemies aren't facing you for 10 (?) seconds after using a daily. Not sure it'll work well with Forest Ghost, but has potential with a Snail and Disruptive Shot.

• sormovichsormovich Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    @typo#6563 , thank you for detailed explanation!
    Sorry for my English.
  • snuff#8759 snuff Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Owlbear is beast for dps :open_mouth:
    sormovich said:

- Why augment?

The only difference between augments is the ratings given by their "Enhancement" power (+1k in 3 ratings, see the chart I linked). Bulette pup and quasit are the only 2 with only "useful" ratings. Of course it's up to you to decide what you consider useful. You can also decide to go for the cheapest one with extra power.
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    I am curious why the Owlbear Cub is passed over... I am guessing it is not needed? I figured filling that void with the Cub and stacking else where would help leverage the toon for better team results.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    @teucer#3019 I think a key issue in Mod 16 with the owlbear cub, using the epic version as an example, is that if you fail to crit, you only have 10% chance to get that extra hit and, if you do, the damage is now worth 10% of your power. It also doesn't work with DoTs and doesn't multiproc on AoEs I believe. Maybe there is some power combination that works better than what I'm saying, but it just doesn't seem to me like it would occur more than occasionally. Is that exactly bad, maybe not, but it's probably not as good as some people are hoping. If someone if seeing better results, it would be interesting to hear how you are using it.
    Extraneous Typo

• jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    ob cub was doing well start of preview and was reported as so was nerfed hard its even worse than tool tip says

note the gear from leveling to 80 that you find are really nice

• navras#4653 navras Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Skills, feats and rotation are what i'm using and find the most efficient. But I don't agree on gear selection tho. There are multiple options that give power as their ability like switcherin-o effect of the chest gear; +1500 power -2500 defence. And as we know, +1000 power equals to %1 damage. It's still worse than from a "deal 1.5% more damage" for example because of the formula, but extra stats(which includes power too) compensate the gap. Other than that, i find the demon set's ability the most useful, and decenter works nicely. I even think to use ssc as main, because new artifacts just bad. Shadowstalker +5 is the way to go, not sure about +4 version. I switched it with raid spy ring. There is a 78 lv epic shirt which gives +3% damage when your stamina is 75% or higher, but during in combat, it's almost never happen. Yet that was the only +71 shirt that I could find.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I went with the owlbear over the deepcrow, owlbear focuses accuracy which is harder to find than power, for me anyway. My power's over 100k anyway.

I just noticed my build is a carbon copy of yours lol. This mod ain't rocket science. Why boar-charge though..? Unless it gives combat adv..? I've been using constricting instead. Roots and stam gain etc. And crushing roots instead of seekers. Though I'd use seekers on bosses, if there were bosses.

Personally I've been using a panther pet solo, one of it's attacks gives combat adv. And leg. OB for everything else. I've kept all my old gear except a ring that dropped from an RE - +3% on ranged powers. Don't think I'll swap my masterwork3 neck/waist set. Accuracy and movement are always nice and I'm buried in stats anyway, most overcapped. Arti-wise I'll go for 3 of the new ones if they drop, and keep tales of old arti as main, it's very useful.

Petwise I've got a skyblade/panther combo for extra damage against rooted etc. deepcrow for power, hunting hawk for distance pewpew, which is nice because it's utility.

No real idea what to use in the defence slot pet power, or the purple one at the top.

Mount bonus wise I've 3 heals, guile, and can't remember, maybe assasin's but I think I'll swap that to artificers cos I often start an attack with envenomed storybook arti.

Anyway, HRs not as bad as I thought it was going to be. How's it compare dps wise with barbies..? Haven't dungeoned yet.

Notes: guile doesn't show up on my sheet as movement, though my Striders's 10% does. And a few running tests didn't seem to show a difference with guile x1, x2, or x0. Which is worrying.

And on reflection, I'm not sure focussed isn't a trap. I know for a fact I don't stay in a single stance long enough to benefit from more than a stack or two. Deft strikes for the win. Focussed for bosses maybe.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
    No idea what my toon is now.
    Hah, realised that the above is really a trapper build. Ignore, I'll post another thread later maybe.

This combat build is solid, I did a few act runs in last night's MEs, and did roughly 20-25million damage, beating out everyone for the paingiver.

Only difference I made was to use thornward/strike instead of marauders, and twinblade instead of seekers for trashmobs, because usually all the mobs focussed me lol.

The short cooldown of thorn strike is nice but the damage is much too low. Marauder and boar charge have solid damage and moderate cooldown.

I've tested lostmauth's vengeance. It's done up to 5% of total damage in the best situations, namely in zones with buggy scaling bringing my ratings below caps.

With my real ratings it has never done more than 2 or 3%.

I think it's a great set for a beginner but since it doesn't benefit from buffs it gets less effective the more power and +damage equipment you get.

I still don't know what to do. I don't feel like investing into a demon set with no AP gain and yet it seems to be the only other option available.
    edited May 2019
    1xtales of old artifact + sash of embelishments ftw. - you keep your neck for AP gain and get +2 on every stat. I just need one more fabled chapter. Kicking myself now I didn't farm the 2nd ToO event a lot harder.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I just couldn't deal with the boring grind of ToO and the frustation of the fact that the devs failed or refused to fix the way disconnects break the event. My loss, I guess. I'll just have to keep the MW III set or buy other stuff with three months' worth of ME coins. What an awesome idea. Three MEs a day. For a hundred days. What fun.

As for augments vs. other pets, Celestial Lion's Presence is basically a constant 10% damage boost (unless there's an ICD that the devs, as usual, don't tell us about) and probably doesn't work with augments. However, my stats are a little higher (about 6k extra power) with my old ioun stone than with something else summoned. Given how often pets die it probably about balances out.

I couldn't see the point of increasing my DEX so I went with strength and charisma for stats.

I was running around with basically trapper root powers but I tried hinder/marauder's/boar for a few MEs and the magnitude of the encounters really makes a difference. With maraduer's slotted you wouldn't really need a movement speed bonus from DEX besides. I didn't notice gaps in my cooldowns. Also, if you're running Combatant's Maneuver, have they ever actually fixed it so it procs off powers other than Boar Charge?
    I think I will go for the apprentice set. I can cap armor pen, crit and accuracy without neck and belt so the demon set would work but the apprentice set gives a ton of combat advantage and a semi-useful set bonus. But I'm not paying over 3 millions for it, I'll just wait some more.

I still don't have alabaster blades so for the moment I'm just a cripple. I'll keep doing ME's and pray RNGanesh for clemency.
    Does combatants manoever give you CA even on bosses..? I mean cc immune things.
    Nvm it's HAMSTER anyway.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    artifleur said:

Insignia Boni

I think with Module 16 it doesn't work anymore stack the same bonus more than once, can you confirm?
    GRAVITY X GAME
    edited May 2019
    krondhor said:

artifleur said:

Insignia Boni

I think with Module 16 it doesn't work anymore stack the same bonus more than once, can you confirm?
    I confirm. The way it works now is :
    • 1 slot --> 100% of the tooltip
    • 2 slots --> 150% of the tooltip
    • 3 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    • 4 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    • 5 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    The tooltip isn't updated anymore, which is misleading.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    artifleur said:

krondhor said:

artifleur said:

Insignia Boni

I confirm. The way it works now is :
    • 1 slot --> 100% of the tooltip
    • 2 slots --> 150% of the tooltip
    • 3 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    • 4 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    • 5 slots --> 175% of the tooltip
    The tooltip isn't updated anymore, which is misleading.
    Thank you, so ye up to 2x is still worth it.
    GRAVITY X GAME