test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[UPDATE] Q&A Stream Follow up & Next Steps

Comments

• nighttriumph#5952 nighttriumph Member Posts: 13 Arc User

There is no point anymore just leave the game the mess it is and save everyone the heartache.

I disagree with this piece of your statement. They should revert to mod 15 until they have worked out all the problems. Going live with a broken game is the best way to kill off a game and a paying customer base.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I'm, getting my butt kicked, by CRABS. T_T

Scaling PvE... for whose benefit?!

Meanwhile, a level 70 character that never before got one-shot by a lowbie mob in (lets say) the Drowning Shore can't even take two steps on a mount without getting whack-a-moled! All of these class changes (and scaling) in mod 16 are proving to be decidedly game-breaking!

Congratulations! You've succeeded in making Anthem look more playable than Neverwinter!

Logging off.

Happened to me with the AA quest where you save NEverember's son. Those crabs at the beginning.....you know in classic Doom where you die, your fave looks like raw hamburger?

That's me with the crabs.
  • benyrbenyr Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    > @autumnwitch
    >
    > Also, from a simple consumer and legal perspective you better change every tool tip in the Zen store on ANYTHING that gives us stats (mounts, companions) because as of now, they don't indicate "+2000 power unless you are running lower level stuff where you will receive considerably less". If I pay for something to boost my damn stats/gear it better do what it says or you are going to owe thousands of people refunds and run the risk of horrible press in age where the government is already looking to clamp down on games like NW who use loot boxes anyway.
    >
    > SMDH

This is a really good and significant point, from a legal perspective the way your tool tips are currently worded leaves you wide open to legal challenges, certainly in the uk under the trade descriptions act, and i bet in a significant number of other countries you operate in.

"Trade Descriptions Act 2011 – Its purpose is to promote good trade practices by prohibiting false trade descriptionsand false or misleading statements, conduct and practices in relation to the supply of goods and services."

Is there anyone in this forum who doesnt think your tool tips could be construed as misleasing?
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    drumon88 said:

Hey folks! The written-up responses extracted from the chat log will be made available next week (parsing through chat manually!) but Thomas wanted to follow up on the last question that was asked during the stream. He asked me to pass along this answer:

From "sootynukkels": Are we just not supposed to be able to reach our stat caps in Scaled content? How is this in live with your own words of Player Progression?

Ahoy sootynukkels and thanks again for attending the Q&A session and for your question. As I stated in the stream, I didn’t quite understand your question, but I’ve had time to parse it a bit, and I think I have answers for you. For scaled content players equipped items, companions, and boons are all scaled to a level to create an appropriate challenge in the content. In unscaled content areas you will still hit your ratings caps. Being at ratings caps in unscaled areas doesn’t mean that you be hitting them in scaled content.

Going forward we intend to have the expert queue dungeons unscaled as well as the two newest campaigns. With the launch of M16 the two newest campaigns were Undermountain and Acqinc, which is a special campaign. With that in mind, and players having a more limited selection of unscaled content, we are patching Barovia to be unscaled until we have newer campaigns that can fill that role. And very soon the Lair of the Mad Mage dungeon will open up to test the full potential of your character.
    Thanks again for the questions.

Thomas “M.K.” Foss

Except you released LOTMM in a broken state as well. After having it in a good place the last week of preview.

dungeons now its all about positioning/learn boss mechanics, first boss cocoon player needs to be healed, each player pick a mimic spawn spot and kill it, 2nd boss there is a phase the boss blast rocks on team time save when to use those heals/protection spells/ maybe paladin tab also potions well timed, last boss its similar to old spellplague cavern last boss mechanic also there is a phase you need to destroy electric charge pillars, repat till boss hp nis 0, it seems to favor ranged dps classes, even in well of dragon, dragon heralds event, on blue dragon player weren't timing when to doge red circles and time to move away from close red circle for poison on green dragon or lightning charge field around blue, instead of just spam powers players need to learn mechanics. And please before working on item level, worry to have overall balance cap values for your stats rating to do the dungeon its not about your item level, if you have the item level and don't have the overall caps(1 player only might be possible to carry, more that one player will be a knightmare).
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    You said that players asked for those changes - and I admit I heard calls for changes. Me, personally - I always regretted that there is no joy in levelling areas once your level is too high... or that the stacking buff craziness meant that something, where DPS party struggles, is cleared with buff/debuff party in a single second. Yes, those were clearly issues, but you really took the solution to extremes.

So, what now? As for the scaling, MY personal advice would be:
    For each map level hardcap weapon dmg and health (each class or paragon path separately of course) and figure out by trial and error how to scale Power.
    What difference will that bring compared to your idea of scaling everything? Simply put: if you accidentally level up on the map, you will not suddenly get weaker. Level 80 character will no longer be penalised against lvl 70 in no way - in the worst case scenario they will stand on the same ground.
    But wait, there is a benefit to that too! This way you might find that in older content can the older weapons/gear be preferable - you would make a desire to collect some old rarities/obsolete items. Sure, just for the specific content... but that would mean we need more bag space, refining items... you know;)
    And this way, in a levelling content, if you struggle, you can level up somewhere and come back later - more powerful. (but as there is a cap, you will never be a god)

While I would consider this an improvement, it will still displease many. Because many enjoy being gods...
    So my second suggestion would be: make it voluntary. Simply tick this and you are scaled. Of course, for dungeons that would mean all participants or none - but we had it here in some sense already: the k-team. It worked.
    (oh, one more thing: ticking the scaling for a dungeon should put additional loot pool from players highest opened campaign to the final chests - or the option will surely not be used frequently)
  • picar66picar66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    @ormonger#9999
    I 1million % agree with your statements.

i hope we can read something like this on next patch day:

Scaling:
    we found that our scaling did not allow the players to reach cap points for that zone/dungeon.
    So we deactivate scaling at all.
  • teamstephonteamstephon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    after seeing mod16 and the scale job you guys did that it just feels like no point in playing your game cause after seeing the mobs and either stuff you over powered how are we suppose to take them down when we cant why im so tired of of dying to everything why I want mod15 back
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Pet and Mount Equip Powers are not scaled. (At least last I checked.)

The erosion of the value of the Chultan Tiger is something I understand being annoyed about, I remember when Augments were made redundant a long time ago, it hurt a lot with 9 toons with Augments. Times change and the value of things change. (I only had 3 Tigers, and only 1 was made Legendary, so this didn’t hurt as much.)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.

How will you defend your wrong decisions? I wonder...

I went yesterday to check Barovia. You said it would not be scaled and... well, you lied, as usual. I was scaled BELOW HALF of my stats from lvl 80. My defense was scaled so low I got oneshotted. Seriously, swallow your pride and roll back to Mod 15 because not only scaling in this mod but literally everything is done WRONG.

As John Cleese on "How to Irritate People" said, "It's not so much inefficiency itself that's irritating, but the refusal to admit inefficiency".
  • abdrahimben#2100 abdrahimben Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    thank you
  • theodatetheodate Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Seeing as several people are complaining about server problems and lag and stuff. It isn't geographical location as much. I take it atleast half the chat was 'do away with the scaling' ?

No, he's been complaining about the lag even when others don't. I wasn't saying that lag isn't an issue, just that his is more because he's in Turkey.
    Well I have lag, and I am in the USA... Florida ..... and the lag is horrendous at times.....

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Well, would you like to know a fast fix for the broken healer companions?
    Just give them the same abilities and settings as those "Whips" frog creatures have in the Twisted Caverns.
    Problem solved.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

Lead Designer - Is responsible for the teams under him, and gives them general direction or accept/deny suggested ideas in general, or in this case systems designers team in particular.
    He is the Overall direction of NW Boss.

The question was understandable for everyone who understands the core issue with how scaling is implemented. Via Caps.

I'm in full agreement. He may not be directly working on systems but he must have some involvement if only working through the idea.

The question regarding capped stats was easily understandable. The response he gave was not one you want to see coming from the man in charge.

To me he came across like "Does not compute. I don't know what the main component behind this new system does. I've never heard of stat capping before in my life. I just work here. Move along. Double AD people we love you!"

I am sorry that it came across that way. I am sure there are many times during the work day when I look like a deer in the head lights. I was honestly trying at first to parse if the question meant that adjusting stat caps was being asked as an option for players to be able to choose, and how that would then affect progression, as in, would it also scale rewards. The goal of level scaling is that you're scaled to a given challenge which includes scale ratings, aka not letting them stay capped.

What that question did do, is reinforced to me as lead designer two places where level scaling is not making players happy. After I had a chance to think about these things more, I started to wonder that since we are adjusting stats on the player end, did we look deep enough into the balance of critter ratings- as this can really make a difference on how even level scaled stats can feel ineffective and frankly not powerful.
    The concept and goals of challenge campaigns was reviewed and signed off by me- with the ideas that players after hitting level 80 may not have completed or even started some of the previous campaigns, and that the risk reward of the scaling was sound. Some of the bugs that we found at launch clearly got past us, and we have made great strides to addressing them- and based upon player feedback we are still adjusting the scaling, and looking at the risk/reward loop and our original ideas for this system.

This is not a done deal, but an ongoing conversation.
    Thanks again for this dialogue.
    M.K.
    as it currently stands progression in end game is kinda dead and a level 70 charchter can do more dmg in a level 70 content than a level 80 charchter wich should not be the case i mean how can progressing make you less powerful than you were before it just dosn't make any sense if you want us to make a challenge then that's fine but we should have the option not to want to be scaled too
    some people prefer to run solo runs or solo challenge was a thing but not anymore also the rewards given from old content will never ever be relevant to the game specially as we progress further so scaling is making it even harder for players to want to play old content as the time vs reward is not worth it
    premod16 we could do CN in 8 mins or so and rewards were pretty garbage to say the least with all due respect to garbage.
    postmod16 CN needs 20 min or more and the rewards are still same old

so the time investment you put increased without the reward being changed

another point is that the old system was fun and engaging as it required timing and knowledge wich this is a good point for players who like challenge others may not have the sufficient backround to understand how things work but even so the combat system was very engaging
    after mod 16 the combat is drastically slow and it's mostly hit and run while wait for next encounter so you have no control over the concept of combat

i hope you guys reconsider the way you nerfed buffs and powersharing etc nerfing is easy for you guys but it's not the solution players want to see
    you always say to roll for initiative but this is far from it

Peace out & thnx for your time reading