test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Trapper Dead in M16?

wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
edited March 2019 in The Wilds
I personally was massively looking forward to M16 as I have been wanting the game to go back to what it used to be like etc.

But I am confused as to how we are going to be in the next Mod. I mean I like to solo and the challenge of it (when i am not PUG'ing)... will I still be able to things like this? https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/wdj40/video/71141859 its how I like to test builds and generally play the game. This run last night I have no idea what my stats were I was just playing about a bit with Companions :)

Anyhoo I can solo FBI, CN and MSP as well although MSP takes a bit over 2hrs due to the HP Pool so a little too long lol
Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
Alts :
Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe

Comments

• feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    The way I look at it for the present is that our DPS is so low it doesn't really matter what our build is. Sure trapper(esque) is the weakest way to go but it's still 80% of the best we can do (single target archery) and much more practical. The fact is this: as usual, the devs gave Ranger the short end of the stick. It's so short that there's no point in trying to make it into anything else. So get your AD from crafting RP instead of running unplayable dungeons, and get your seals from expeditions. You'll be done with the new content in a week.

So is trapper dead? Not any more than it has been since mod 11. Our class has been a zombie since mod 6 and by comparison we're really no worse off than we've been for years.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Warden kinda plays like trapper. We're not super bad in pve, pvp hmm, haven't really had any ideas for a solid build, doesn'tlook good though tbh.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • typo#6563 typo Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I think Trapper(esque), as @feanor70118 mentioned, is a good way to look at it. True trapper was able to spam encounters via cooldowns from roots. But that's gone. It is like Trapper has been demoted to just some nature abilities. Sort of like how we have electricity as an ability. We can still be trapper-like though with rooting effects. So you can be a Hunter or Warden with a nature (trapper) focus. And as @jonkoca noted, you can kind of play that fast and furious style with Warden, going back and forth between the two stances.
    Extraneous Typo

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    warden can play like combat or it can play like trapper. the combat side seems a bit more powerful to me but the trapper side was fine imo. I didn't play in any group content so I can't really comment on what performs best in dungeons dps wise. hopefully some buffs are in our future still. we were overbalanced a month ago in test but imo we sure didn't remain that way.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I hit top dps in demo a couple of times with warden/trapperesque build, but it was prolly a bunch of pugs.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • navras#4653 navras Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    it is. Warden combat is the strongest among other Ranger builds. It's like 9/10 in trash, 8/10 in single targets. Archery, on the other hand, far from dead. In AoE it's decent. Not bad, not good but it's playable, I can give 6/10 in AoE, and 7 maybe 7.5/10 in single targets. It's funny its slightly worse then combat, yet it serves its purpose and works nicely. I wouldn't recommend to play it in trash, but feel free to play it on bosses. Trapper, regardless of the path, is still bad. You can play a trapperish build with warden with deft strikes etc. but it'd be still bad comparing with pure melee combat.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Sorry for the late reply, thanks for answering. I have been reading through the threads and sounds like my old Trapper is dead now which is a shame. I have not played at all since Mod 15... If I were to re-install I wouldnt know where to start lol, the stats have changed so much :(
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for answering. I have been reading through the threads and sounds like my old Trapper is dead now which is a shame. I have not played at all since Mod 15... If I were to re-install I wouldnt know where to start lol, the stats have changed so much :(

well the stats have changed but lots of people know what they're doing compared to the start of m16 that can help out. place to start would just to do the new campaign. things kind of fall into place.

wdj40 said:

well the stats have changed but lots of people know what they're doing compared to the start of m16 that can help out. place to start would just to do the new campaign. things kind of fall into place.
    Hmmmmm, does permastunning players to death still exist? That was the main factor why I left, was so sick of it.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe

wdj40 said:

I have been trying to find info on all the stats and numbers to aim for, is there an easy link to click do you know?
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited October 2019
    wdj40 said:

wdj40 said:

I have been trying to find info on all the stats and numbers to aim for, is there an easy link to click do you know?
    https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/stats

permastun? you mean in pvp? I have no idea. I don't pvp :) elven is really nice now. there are a lot of stuns, I've rocked a elven 14 thru mod 16 and just hung it up for bark for tomm. it really helps there.

in a nutshell though 68k is what you need for arpen crit 118 for ca. power as high as you can go. you'll start something called me's at the end of the campaign those can drop boxes for zok that can give really nice comp gear and equipment. comp gear is really nice compared to what it used to be.