test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon difficulty reports

Comments

• silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User

Our goal is that scaling will be a thing, but that it is at a place that a random group of people who know the boss mechanics and work together can get through a dungeon successfully and without a lot of issues. On top of that is that there is a range of difficulty from leveling content, to intermediate max level content, to true endgame content.

The bolded part is the problem. See, I am a casual player. I have a day job and actual family responsibilities. My game time is NOT going to be tied up in watching YouTube videos and reading guides just to do a random pug. A person playing a game shouldn't have to do advanced research on boss mechanics to run a standard dungeon. The game should be designed to be able to experience it in game without "spoiling" anything for yourself by doing homework.

I like lore. I like those in-game "WOW" moments where something happens that I didn't expect. Expecting me to have to research how a boss mechanic works in advance because OMG THE BOSS PULLS SOME RIDICULOUS AOE DAMAGE OUT OF ITS BUTT AT THE 4:22 MARK THAT DOESN'T APPEAR ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE GAME AND IF YOU ARE NOT STANDING IN A VERY SPECIFIC AREA OF THE FLOOR YOU WILL DIE isn't "Challenging." That is bad game design.

This is why I stopped playing WOW. Because you can't experience instances and enjoy the moment. You have to treat it like a work assignment and everyone is expected to have just watched a video of where to stand and when to move and which specific "build" you MUST have to be successful, because the boss fights are designed that you must do a very specific set of things to succeed. Which is completely counter to true Dungeons & Dragons which is all about the players thinking on their feet and coming up with ingenuous ways of dealing with events.

Any situation in which a gamer has to go OUTSIDE the game to get information needed to succeed IN the game is bad design. Everything I need to know to succeed should be presented to the gamer IN game, not "Go watch a video on how to do it."

I don't think you need to do a lot of research to be familiar with the boss mechanics. You just have to run through them two or three times to learn them. Unfortunately, here is where you will run into problems that are purely caused by other players. Players who will not allow for people to learn or try to help them. That is the only thing that will drive players to need out of game resources to learn these mechanics.

Now I am going to address those "other players" specifically: If you join a random group, you should expect to be grouped with random people of various knowledge and skill levels. If you are already experienced and skilled and you are not willing to be there to help others then queue with other like-minded people. Don't be a jerk. You should not be expecting everyone in the random queue to already be knowledgeable, skilled and BiS. If you want that every time the only way to guarantee it is to pre-make your own group or join somebody else's. The random queues are for random people. If you don't like it then you are the one who needs to stay out of the random queues. Not the "noobs".
  • nephrum#6279 nephrum Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Defending the Sword Coast: Drow outpost, (rescue slaves from the drow) quest is set to have level 81 mobs that are beyond epic encounter strength. completely unplayable with 14K plus toon. Quest is listed at 11K needs a tweek or seven.
  • cassandaracassandara Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Oh come on people. All we need to do is have the challenge of who can die the most. Put that lightning enchant in your weapon and armor and see how many trash mobs you can pull to your position. I mean you get scaled to their level and having at least 12 on you well just doesn't get anymore fun than that. Ok so they took a great game and ruined it. But hey these thing happen right?
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    This is a bug report sub forum...not a feedback sub forum.
  • gondola#7074 gondola Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Ok so we've got a scaling value that's an issue. That's easy to fix if they have a grand control number\factor and it's in a configurable like a .ini. A huge issue is the design of that system is flawed and they won't acknowledge it. Player's need room to progress and the scaling doesn't allow that. They need to allow a percentage over the scaling cap. For example; leveling scales to 10,000 power. I have 50,000 power. I get 10% of the extra over cap (number to be changed on balance) so I can progress. I'd get 4000 extra power.
  • neidanman#1423 neidanman Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Just played Elol again after the patch - its still awful. No fun and very grindy as an endgame player.

Are all dungeons really going to be like running endgame content? I'm finding it hard to get to grips with the concept as it seems to make this game not make sense any more - everything is geared towards people advancing their characters, but then all the advancement is voided for most of the content. Its like you could just do away with stats, gears, levels, upgrades, companions etc etc and just let people pick a class and a dungeon and go. They would all have fixed powers with fixed stats, as would mobs. You could also skip rewards as there'd be nothing to upgrade anyway.
  • mord#3639 mord Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Just ran a Tomb of the Nine Gods, mobs were fine in terms of difficulty, the mimic 'shell game' puzzle is bugged, the chests move erratically and double up on the platforms. Withers still has too much HP and the attacks are still too strong. Ras Nsi was 1 shotting everyone with any attack that hit us, not sure about his HP as we kept dying.

This was a mostly Endgame group, 21k OP tank, 21k HR, 21k TR, 22k DC healer and a 18k HR
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    Chill guys the dungeons aren't that bad they are supposed to be chanllenging and we are just not used to it.
    We either run a group of pre-mades and ignore the rest or you go to randoms and pray you get anything good or you take 42 f'ing mins to complete a simple etos sweating your balls off for 14 f***** thousand ad.

And btw i still say agro is messed up at least for clerics, i haven't seen my agro bar change from red the entire dungeon even when tank also has it or when i'm just using at-wills

https://imgur.com/iJXMboa

https://imgur.com/152wwSA

I don't know if anyone has been able to finish manycoins skirmish? because i gave up...
    Still haven't played tiamat after patch but since i din't see anything in the patch notes a assume nothing was done to it..
    nDemo is fine now
    Merchant prince folly is also fine but sometimes the mobs bug at the end and we can't finish the skirmish

• c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    on a side note, scaling is a problem, but the real problem will lie in whether or not players will accept to be challenged/have an increased difficulty compared to pre mod 16 but with same junk rewards that do not compensate for the difference.
  • zaprobozaprobo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Tiamat remains broken. From an Erinyes during the Priest phase...

https://imgur.com/Ddh3J1w

It's hitting for what was probably my hitpoint total in one hit (as I'm sitting at 312.1k HP @ L78).
    Zaphod "Zap-Robo" Robotnik
    http://zap-robo.net/
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    [22:24] [Combat (Self)] Ras Nsi deals 1028084 (1511584) Fire Damage to you with Serpent's Wrath

Ras Nsi attacks are on point
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Castle never First portals room, where you have to clear 5 portals they all get stuck at 80% clear after all mobs are dead...
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Merchant prince folly is also fine but sometimes the mobs bug at the end and we can't finish the skirmish

In what way do they bug? Don't spawn or get stuck or something else?
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

Castle never First portals room, where you have to clear 5 portals they all get stuck at 80% clear after all mobs are dead...

That's fixed in the "right now" patch, at least.

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    deleted not place or time for this
  • joqueras84#8733 joqueras84 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Souls in Tong can't be killed at last boss, they are almost invincible.pls fix this last bug, we can't finish dungeon.
    edited April 2019

In what way do they bug? Don't spawn or get stuck or something else?

i can't see them but i get agro, so i assume they get stuck on a building
    this is on the far right of the map btw when the dude is repairing the door

also i don't knwo anyone who managed to finish manycoins, the vault always gets destroyed

• dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Tried Castle ravenloft and it was a complete farce.
    I had Divine Challenger feature set to make smite into a taunt, and was using oath strike at-will for threat, yet even when my aggro indicator was red the first boss still went after anyone at all and not me. Secondly when i tried to block Thief of Vitae it still oneshot me through shield.
    It's utterly ridiculous that you think this in in any state to be released.
    edited April 2019

Tried Castle ravenloft and it was a complete farce.
    I had Divine Challenger feature set to make smite into a taunt, and was using oath strike at-will for threat, yet even when my aggro indicator was red the first boss still went after anyone at all and not me. Secondly when i tried to block Thief of Vitae it still oneshot me through shield.
    It's utterly ridiculous that you think this in in any state to be released.

i agree with that, as a dc i'm getting messed up a LOT, on all the dungeons i ran, the only time i saw my agro bar green was inbetween fights.

• asterix000asterix000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    This is an example of how powerfull the mobs are.

https://imgur.com/Z0NG0nt

Tiamat 04-28-2019. Cheers!
  • sakkara#1578 sakkara Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I have tried to do Tiamat 6 times. Everyone in the instance except me gets disconnected after we kill the summoners, making a constant merry-go-round of additions to the instance who run boldly in, get one-shotted, die, run back, die, run back, lather, rinse, repeat, until we vote to abandon. Please shut down this instance until it gets fixed. Thanks.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2019

> @isaintify1 said:

> A group of friends and I did CN and it was good... The only rough part was the ball phase before the 2nd boss as the zombies hit upwards in the 250ks+. Also have insane resistances. Orcus in CN needs a small buff as he is to easy to kill. 1st boss has way more health than orcus. Took us 50minutes at 18k ilvls. (How it should be)

50 minutes to run CN and you think that is how it ahould be? There is nothing in there worth running for. Reward/ratio isn't worth it, at most that dungeon should be 25 min with a group that just qualifies.

We were 19k Barb Tank (me) 18k TR / 18K SW / 17k HR / 17k SW. We finished it in 50minutes but I am sure if we do it again now knowing what we know + the fix for the zombies at the bubble phase it should only take about 25minutes. But you are right the rewards are garbage and they have been garbage for the last few modules.

• kopros666kopros666 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Elol: Scorpions have way more hp than they had at past or than the 1st and 3rd boss at current state.
    Elol: (bug) At final battle with Lostmauth, after the part where boss returns with 50%hp, you get 1-shotted by attacks with no red area all of a sudden. Even my tank who has 400k hp (pre-underscalled, ofc) had zero luck to survive and whole team had to rage quit after 3 attempts.

Throne of dwarven gods: (bug) Hulks are drunk. They break doors or the shield only if they are really close to them. If they charge by far, they do nothing.

Msp: (bug) First boss, Kabal, achieved immortality. He can't be harmed when fireballs are crushed to him.

Valindra's tower: The shades move like they took their steroids and drain your stamina in zero time and you can't escape them.

Master of the hunt: I think in current state is way too easy. I prefer it as it was 1 week ago. Now anything is getting 1-shitted. Boar-ing.

Tiamat: Them devil mobs cut you like butter. It's bad luck if you get Tiamat at RIQ.
    Post edited by kopros666 on
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Just some mild suggestions?

For Healers:

Perhaps you just need to give healers (player classes and companions alike) more oomph to their single-target heals and some actual AoE heals that can also give bonus healing to single targets standing inside the AoE when nobody else is around?

Boost the Eye of Lathander to reduce cooldown?

Restore and boost the Phoera, Mystic Phoera, Bulette, Celeste and Angel companions' bonus effects when combined with the Soulforged enchantment?

Maybe add more Phoera-like companions that can boost resurrections further - with a "full-set bonus" or an added "gear/mount affinity" bonus?

Boost the Soulforged enchantment to make it more relevant.

Maybe introduce some new potions, enchantments and rune stones specifically designed to boost healing and increase critical heal chances?

For all classes and companions, introduce better gear or more role-specific craftable gear modifications, such as "Healers' Bastion" that can be applied to armor pieces used by Healer-spec Paladins and Clerics to be more rugged and durable under fire?

I admit that I'm grasping at straws here, but if any of these suggestions can help in some way, how worse can it get?
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams