test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does the quest pointer turn red.

devnullloredevnulllore Member Posts: 160 Arc User
I was doing the 'Hunt for Black Ice' quest and traveled to Icewind Dale when suddenly the quest pointer went red. What causes this and what can I do besides looking up the quest on the wiki and spoiling it.

Cheers,
Ulfrik Dragonsyre
Hero of Neverwinter
Retribution Paladin of the realm
Siring quality Dragons for mounts and pets

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Because there is no path to a particular destination to complete this quest. You need to collect black ice from anywhere in the whole map.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    - that the route can't be drawn for you for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's because you have to complete a task first, such as gathering a certain amount of black ice or turning in hoard items, or killing a specific number of generic enemies, or something like that. Sometimes it's because you have to queue up to complete it, and sometimes it's because the location or npc is on another map and maybe locked behind a prerequisite as well. Occasionally it's a combination of a few of those things.

Culling the Cultists is like that. You accept it from Harper Boward, but there's no target location since you can kill any 25 cultists anywhere. Say you go to Well of Dragons. Even after you kill your 25 cultists, the quest pointer's still red 'cause Boward's in Protector's Enclave. Not until you travel back to Protector's Enclave does the quest pointer become active. Not sure if that's working correctly or not, which is another reason why the pointer might not activate. In some rare cases it could be buggy. The final quest in the Drowned Shore comes to mind.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    If it is your first time in the Pass and gathering Black Ice, you want the node that is inside the fort where you get the quest.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    devnullloredevnulllore Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    I have a new example. I just picked up the quest 'Surface world problems' I have to accept a quest from a demon hunter in Caer-Konig yet again the pointer is black. Does anyone know where in Caer-Konig this demon hunter is so I can continue?

Cheers,
    Ulfrik Dragonsyre
    Hero of Neverwinter
    Retribution Paladin of the realm
    Siring quality Dragons for mounts and pets
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited April 2019

I have a new example. I just picked up the quest 'Surface world problems' I have to accept a quest from a demon hunter in Caer-Konig yet again the pointer is black. Does anyone know where in Caer-Konig this demon hunter is so I can continue?

He is in Caer-Konig. When you are there, go down the slope I think he is the 3rd NPC (quest NPC) on your left.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Dwarf, dwarf, Arcane Brotherhood, demon hunter, Arcane Brotherhood, PvP giver down the stairs.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.