test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would love a few Chult pointers...clueless at moment

prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
I've completed the first "row" of campaign markers (Hunt/Advance/Boons) and I know that players really love the hunts in Chult but I really don't know what I'm doing yet. I sort of randomly kill groups of monsters hoping something pops up, but nothing so far. My guild has some free hunt lures I could use...assuming I know what I'm doing.

I'm only 12.5K and would really like to aim at boosting myself up, especially with Mod 16 on its way. What types of specific things should I be doing in Chult at this point? I have the First Hunt as a quest, but again nothing specific so not sure what to do.

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I know I have said this before, the wiki is your friend. I personally don't like Chult, only because I am ornithoscelidaphobia, and not because of the module itself. You and I both need those Chult boons and that is what I would focus on. All the boons will just turn into boon points in M16, so don't stress on which boon to pick.

Look at the bottom of that page on the wiki, and see if you are missing a quest.

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Best way to dealt with Chult is do the middle path first. That is your advancement track. That will get you into Omu. All the hunt path does is allow you to trade for hunt lures. Boons are nice, but they aren't that important to advancement, and in a few weeks will be worth even less.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I have to admit, I'm not particularly enthused by Chult at all. For the moment, I've given it up. I really hate having to travel end-to-end on that map all the time and the quests are kind of boring/tedious.
    greywynd said:

Best way to dealt with Chult is do the middle path first. That is your advancement track. That will get you into Omu. All the hunt path does is allow you to trade for hunt lures. Boons are nice, but they aren't that important to advancement, and in a few weeks will be worth even less.

I am scooping up as many boon points as I can, while I do agree the new boon page is a debasement of the old system. I would also point out that this new system makes all campaigns more generic. Currently some of my characters own Cold Shoulder and Winter's Bounty from Icewind Dale. Those won't appear on the screen anymore and you won't flash back to the place where you earned it. You will now just gain points and spend them on another generic boon that ups your chosen ability 250 points. Currently my Dragon's Claws boon from ToD grants me 400 power, but inside a week it will just be 1 boon point to spend.

If your goal is finish Chult for some sense of accomplishment, then yes the middle path is the way to go. At this point next week, Elemental Evil and Ravenloft will give out the same boons. I imagine this will come down to need for points versus grind of the unfinished campaigns.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Sadly, you are correct.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited April 2019
    My good friend in the game Dervish of Thay said boons and feats were all wrong to begin with and told me the following;

Boons are gifts and feats are achievements, for example a great feat would be defeating Valindra, once done, you should be awarded a boon. His idea is that boon and feat rewards should be story related and not some point handed out for hitting a level cap or doing 100 grind quests for a month. When you take down a boss such as Strahd, the reward to reflect that victory and not just be, "Here is a shiny penny for your future young man.". Understand I am not even talking about the value or mechanics of the boon itself. The subject here is content should be connected to reward or you get generic foolishness.

He then reminded me that the 14th anniversary of Guild Wars is on the 22nd (we PvP together on the weekends in Factions) a day prior to module 16 launch. Since Cryptic is somewhat infamous about poor launches, I think I will wait and update after the 23rd.

Laters! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    prethen said:

I have to admit, I'm not particularly enthused by Chult at all. For the moment, I've given it up. I really hate having to travel end-to-end on that map all the time and the quests are kind of boring/tedious.

I go back and forth between like it...don't like it. My character's not over-leveled which helps keep things interesting, and I think the setting's gorgeous - especially the tombs. Most of all, I like that the totems are weekly instead of daily so we don't have to play there when we don't feel like it. Which is nice since at the moment I feel the same way as you about running around that map doing the same quests again and again. A monster Hunt can be a nice change of pace though - gives you another way to get totems.

But I'm keeping my focus on the boons and Omu, too.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    hunts are last year's news. almost nothing useful in them anymore and in just a few days, they will be even less useful.

Do your weekly missions, find out what you need to open more weekly missions. Get done with Chult so you can move on.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    I really liked the Chult campaign. The weekly haul was WAY better than dailies, the patrols were worthwhile to do, the hunts provided great gear.... Once you found good routes, even dashing around the map wasn't terrible. Maybe not great, but you could at least try and snag a rare mob on the way to where you were going - and much faster than travel in SKT.

I think the worst thing about the upcoming level change / scaling / new content is that a lot of the weeklies in Chult will become significantly tougher to do (the BHE's in particular). Overall, IMO, it was a really solid campaign.