test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My state of the game . . . MOD 16 Black hole Edition end-stream testing

ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
Why a Black Hole?

A black hole is a benign (we hope) irressistable force that devours everything in the universe!

Its a metaphor for MOD 16. With the best of intentions (we hope) a lot of effort has been invested into the new version of NVW. Unfortunately the resulting product has devoured all the fun in the game.

from 2.5 weeks ago:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1246968/my-state-of-the-game-mod-16-testing-edition-mid-stream/p1

I have taken 5 classes to 80 and here is my observations:
1. The weekly patches have brought wide swings in class profiles and skills. Clearly each an over correction of the last. This flailing around or trial and error is not the best practice in achieving a viable product.
2. LOBOTOMIZATION!!!!!!!! Everything remains dumbed down. The illusion of choice has been removed. The binary choices in feats is an insult to intelligence only exacerbated by the fact that you can play without feats completely and not notice a difference.
3. Slowing everything down is the black hole sucking the fun out of the game
4. Why not remove at-wills completely from the game? Their value approaches ZERO right now.
5. DEVALUATION!!!!!!!!!!! Every person who has been playing this game for more than a few months has invested their time and often money in improving their characters. Character progression is the carrot everyone chases. Clearly the development team has miscalculated the impact of their effort to strip people of their investments in enchantments, companions and mounts. This basically tells everyone who can fog a mirror that Cryptic does not value the time of their player base. You should just replace the Undermountain graphic with a big middle finger.

There are lots more like perma broken quests and suicidal scaling. I could go on and on but it would be pointless.

In conclusion, MOD 16 is a new game, an unattractive game, a game bereft of fun. It dead on arrival. Sure some people will not be able to over come inertia. Some will judge that there is not a lot of great competitive titles for them to jump to. Some people will just take longer to arrive at the conclusion that MOD 16 and its design philosophy is a failure. It is a sad day that an avoidable self-inflicted wound ruins NVW.

Peace

Comments

• krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Actually when I was redoing the feats and powers again after the latest update, I did notice that its actually worse than paper or plastic choices. Because several of the feats dictate which power to use. If you don't use that encounter power connected to that feat its as if you don't even have a feat. Not all your encounters are even connected to feats so some are left out. If you try to maximize your feat pay out by using the encounters they are connected to you at a loss so you can't even utilize all the feats you have available.

Essentially the devs are dictating to the players which encounters they should use because if they don't chances are you are wasting a feat or two by not taking advantage of the encounter powers they are linked to. My point is, there is only one choice. Its not even A or B its just one way or you are nerfing yourself.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Essentially the devs are dictating to the players which encounters they should use because if they don't chances are you are wasting a feat or two by not taking advantage of the encounter powers they are linked to. My point is, there is only one choice. Its not even A or B its just one way or you are nerfing yourself.

Well, you could argue that effectively restricting every player of the same class to use exactly the same set of power willl have the side-effect of reducing any performance differences. One might be tempted to think they don't want a player who started last month to feel inferior to a 6-year veteran. Same goes for making boons, enchants and feats less relevant and getting rid of any meaningful build differences....just make everyone play the same way.

Hoping for improvements...
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    adinosii said:

krumple01 said:

Well, you could argue that effectively restricting every player of the same class to use exactly the same set of power willl have the side-effect of reducing any performance differences. One might be tempted to think they don't want a player who started last month to feel inferior to a 6-year veteran. Same goes for making boons, enchants and feats less relevant and getting rid of any meaningful build differences....just make everyone play the same way.

The problem is they lied. When they started to announce mod 16 they said players will have choices. That is not even remotely true. They lied to us, plain and simple. What do you do when some one lies to you? You lose trust in that person.

Well Cryptic already lost trust in its player base more than once and this is jut a flat out lie. We don't have really have choices, it is an illusion of having a choice. Similar to how TSA works at airpots; it is an illusion of security.