test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 16 Killing Neverwinter's Strongest point(s)

i don't want this to be long or anything but neverwinter has been dead for long time from a market/in-game economy stand point guild or whaever everything that was added to the game mostly failed because of the way it was done

now module 16 will kill neverwinter's highest attractive point wich is what most people are here for

The combat system is what i'm talking about, we all have seen how slow and uncool mod 16 combat is , nobody wants this new combat system it's counter productive to release something that makes players quit the game entirely

i know devs don't care about our opinion as player base and all but for this one time just listen to what people are saying you really will kill the game with the module at least let us have our good combat

Comments

• krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

i don't want this to be long or anything but neverwinter has been dead for long time from a market/in-game economy stand point guild or whaever everything that was added to the game mostly failed because of the way it was done

now module 16 will kill neverwinter's highest attractive point wich is what most people are here for

The combat system is what i'm talking about, we all have seen how slow and uncool mod 16 combat is , nobody wants this new combat system it's counter productive to release something that makes players quit the game entirely

i know devs don't care about our opinion as player base and all but for this one time just listen to what people are saying you really will kill the game with the module at least let us have our good combat

Although all your points are valid and right. I think there is still an opportunity for things to swing back the other direction. Call me overly optimistic but I think by mod 17 its possible they will reduce cool downs with a balance in damage and mob resistances. If the new system they claim is easier to tweak then I can see that once they start hearing the majority of the player base are not happy with how combat is playing out. I bet it will be addressed. So all I can say is if you have nothing but hate for mod 16 hang in there, its possible things might turn around. I'm not saying things will be perfect or amazing but its possible it might be addressed.

If they reduce cool downs, drop damage from powers a bit and adjust resistances on mobs I can see it possibly returning to much faster pace combat. This however; doesn't even address the other aspect that a huge majority of players loved the options with feat and power choices but now that is all gone.

i am aware that this may be possible but at what cost my friend ? after people leave the game for good they won't be trusting the company anymore with any changes so even if they make it better people who left because they were ignored won't come back and obviously won't be playing their magic the gathering game either in the future for such reasons

Some will return to check out any changes. There is always some who have quit who return every time a new mod is released. Some will quit and never look back. Some might return because mod 16 is actually what they want. Just trying to be more realistic here. Its hard to say that they will all leave and never bother with cryptic games ever again. Some will but some wont. If the game has become more streamlined its possible players who would quit under mod 15 experience might end up staying viewing mod 16 as easier to understand. I don't know the actual numbers.

• heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

i am aware that this may be possible but at what cost my friend ? after people leave the game for good they won't be trusting the company anymore with any changes so even if they make it better people who left because they were ignored won't come back and obviously won't be playing their magic the gathering game either in the future for such reasons

Some will return to check out any changes. There is always some who have quit who return every time a new mod is released. Some will quit and never look back. Some might return because mod 16 is actually what they want. Just trying to be more realistic here. Its hard to say that they will all leave and never bother with cryptic games ever again. Some will but some wont. If the game has become more streamlined its possible players who would quit under mod 15 experience might end up staying viewing mod 16 as easier to understand. I don't know the actual numbers.

this game dosn't have that many streamers my friend and most of them announced that they either don't like the mod or are leaving the game or will only continue to post new stuff without playing the game so dosn't really look good and let's face it this new combat system really sux they should've emphasised on their strong point that no other game had now they are just making it garbage regular MMO

this game dosn't have that many streamers my friend and most of them announced that they either don't like the mod or are leaving the game or will only continue to post new stuff without playing the game so dosn't really look good and let's face it this new combat system really sux they should've emphasised on their strong point that no other game had now they are just making it garbage regular MMO

Yep not many streamers, and quite a few of the big ones don't like the new mod. It doesn't really matter though. New players will arrive, new streamers will pop up and take the place of the ones who left. The game is changing and some will leave, others will stay, and new ones will arrive.

The paying players are really cryptic's boss. They just don't view it this way and why if the game fails and their other games fail, they will be scratching their heads wondering why. If the unleash the snow ball and it grows then unfortunately the game dies a slow painful death of inevitable quitting. They have no one else to blame except themselves.

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    longer cooldowns? that dumb to use it and seem we get penalized, and out of power?

Based on past experience (i.e. mod 6) they'll let it remain hopelessly screwed up for at least six months before making any major fixes. Their philosophy has always seemed to be, "Things need fixing...let's break them some more!"

I always imagined the cryptic programmers experienced something similar to a cartoon where they are inside a ship with a leak. As they plug one hole, another forms, they plug that new one and another pops up. By the time they get to the last one, the first hole reappears.

• havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Based on past experience (i.e. mod 6) they'll let it remain hopelessly screwed up for at least six months before making any major fixes. Their philosophy has always seemed to be, "Things need fixing...let's break them some more!"

I always imagined the cryptic programmers experienced something similar to a cartoon where they are inside a ship with a leak. As they plug one hole, another forms, they plug that new one and another pops up. By the time they get to the last one, the first hole reappears.

LOL, that's awesome imagery. You should look for one of those old Bugs Bunny clips for something like that. And sadly, I reckon you are 100% right ....
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

This is about right, it's either this or a wiring board where as you plug one wire in, another falls out. I think the devs have more or less said this, the CoH devs certainly did.
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2019

I am lol'ing every time when there is another swansong for Neverwinter after an announced change. It is not the first and not the last major change that is supposed to doom the game. But NW is still here. Weird. And I also am lol'ing everytime I see someone wrinting that he/she KNOWS what MOST people actually want and do not want. Speak for yourself only.

As far as I am concerned, I am BORED to hell with this game and combat system, because it is only black (dead after being one-hitted) or white (mobs dead after they are one-hitted). I apprechiate the changes, even though I know they may be far from being perfect. But a change like was necessary for me not to leave this game. And yes, if I suffered from the same hybris as many writers here, I'd claim that this feeling is shared with the vast majority of players.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2019

I am lol'ing every time when there is another swansong for Neverwinter after an announced change. It is not the first and not the last major change that is supposed to doom the game. But NW is still here. Weird.

I have only once seen the same level of negativity as we are seeing now, and that was with Mod 6. Yes, NWO survived that, but at the cost of losing a third of its playerbase. I am not optimistic about the long term viability of the game if we see a repeat of that history. Some mods have been well received and created a spike in player numbers - Ravenloft is a great example of that. Other mods have gotten a lukewarm reception.... nobody terribly excited about them, but players not leaving in large numbers either - River District and AI are examples of that.

As for Mod 16, yes, there are people that really like it, for a number of different reasons, and others that really hate it, with most of the community falling somewhere in between - probably more on the negative side, though.

The long-term outlook for the game is made even worse by some of the other changes - to me it feels like they did not consider the possible long-term effects of some of the changes they are making. Consider for example the 500:1% to 1000:1% change. Combined with higher stats from gear it makes enchantments much less relevant than before.

I do realize this may be intended to shrink the gap between "new" players and veterans who have been grinding for years to get the best gear, but changes (in particular when considering how scaling works) like this take away much of the enjoyment that many people get from gear progression. Worse, it reduces the incentive to level up existing enchantments, which in turn reduces the demand for wards, which in turn will probably result in a reduction of Zen sales, which is what will really threaten the viability of the game, in the long term.
    Hoping for improvements...
    adinosii said:

I have only once seen the same level of negativity as we are seeing now, and that was with Mod 6. Yes, NWO survived that, but at the cost of losing a third of its playerbase. I am not optimistic about the long term viability of the game if we see a repeat of that history. Some mods have been well received and created a spike in player numbers - Ravenloft is a great example of that. Other mods have gotten a lukewarm reception.... nobody terribly excited about them, but players not leaving in large numbers either - River District and AI are examples of that.

I was not talking about mods, I wrote "major changes". Things like removing coal wards from the tradebar store, removing salvage or the change to account-wide rAD->AD refinement. There were some more and they have all one thing in common: doomsayers crawled from under their stones and turned into a very loud minority.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2019

I was not talking about mods, I wrote "major changes". Things like removing coal wards from the tradebar store, removing salvage or the change to account-wide rAD->AD refinement. There were some more and they have all one thing in common: doomsayers crawled from under their stones and turned into a very loud minority.

Well the "doomsayers" were right in Mod 6. Losing a third of the players was a pretty big blow to the game. And no, I don't really consider coal bar or refinement changes to be anywhere near as serious - those change just affected a part of the playerbase. The real issue is with changes that have a big effect on "everyone"

Anyhow...we'll see what happens in a week...and when the dust settles in a month we can see how bad things turned out to be.
    Hoping for improvements...
    adinosii said:

As for Mod 16, yes, there are people that really like it, for a number of different reasons, and others that really hate it, with most of the community falling somewhere in between - probably more on the negative side, though.

The long-term outlook for the game is made even worse by some of the other changes - to me it feels like they did not consider the possible long-term effects of some of the changes they are making. Consider for example the 500:1% to 1000:1% change. Combined with higher stats from gear it makes enchantments much less relevant than before.

I do realize this may be intended to shrink the gap between "new" players and veterans who have been grinding for years to get the best gear, but changes (in particular when considering how scaling works) like this take away much of the enjoyment that many people get from gear progression. Worse, it reduces the incentive to level up existing enchantments, which in turn reduces the demand for wards, which in turn will probably result in a reduction of Zen sales, which is what will really threaten the viability of the game, in the long term.

Aside from the fact that here once again someone believes that he knows what other people want and think (again, speak for yourself, don't transfer your beliefs onto others), I think that human nature is far too complex to make a reliable prediction like that.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Fanbois will fan...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Only thing I hope is that if it does go like Mod6 did they are quicker to react to it than the devs were back then. If not then the game may not be able to survive it.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User

Only thing I hope is that if it does go like Mod6 did they are quicker to react to it than the devs were back then. If not then the game may not be able to survive it.

They've had months of feedback and bug reports and have ignored almost all of both (at least from non-testers). The mod isn't even close to ready and we'll have to deal with it in one week anyhow. Responsive? Not these guys.
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I agree with the OP that the primary reason I play NeverWinter is due to the fast paced combat system, with an easily manageable number of buttons/powers that can be used in various combinations.

I've never like the 'combo' approach to combat (A A D B A B for a super vicious uppercut!), and I'm not very interested any more in the 'plethora of powers' approach that gives you 2 new powers at every level until you need 5, 10-slot hotbars just to hold your powers - 80% of which you use once every 3-4 battles.

Neverwinter up til now struck a good balance between choices of powers/feats, number you can use at one time, ability to swap to a different set for different targets, and speed/variety of using those powers.

I do understand that 10-15% of the player base feel the need to min/max their powers, to refine things down to the 'one true build' that gives maximum everything, to create the 'perfect' team composition that blows through all content at max speed until they get one-shotted (the 'black or white' comment above) - and for these players, the current game is stale.

I simply point out that to 80% or more of the player base, the current system is fun, engaging, dangerous. As a 'casual level 70' with no interest in min-maxing, legendary companions, rank 14 enchants, I can only say that lots of lower content is easy for me - which is fine when I just want to smash and bash for a bit. And most of the upper content (say, Castle Never and beyond) is very hard for me and requires real effort not to be casual roadkill along the way.

The game recovered from Mod 6, but at a time when there was less competition out there, the game was still much newer, and at least, post-mod 6, the combat system was still engaging. Replacing that with a slower, clumsier, more limited, more 'all the same' design simply removes the one primary advantage (besides the IP, which may be relevant to some players) that Neverwinter has over other games.

It seems unwise to me, to effectively nerf 100% of your players, in order to address issues that affect less than 20%. Especially since the 80% are the ones who still need to acquire legendary mounts/companions/gear, high IL, etc. and thus are more likely spending money to get there than the people who already have max everything.

But then, nobody ever accused Cryptic of making their Wisdom stat overly useful...

• pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    When you have a feature that do damage to you(GWF) when use certain power , what kind of hamster is this
    They just mess it up , the powers they give you now dont even go together and all the hard work to get your boons is gone
  • tikamage#2445 tikamage Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Chimes in on this been reading it and Wow, EA Powerpoints of How to Hijack and Tear apart a game so we can shelve it. Budgie for Destiny 2 was having that same thing happen from Activision. EA's Anthem was also a Game that comes to mind after 10 years of Development and released a Game that was Bug ridden and had a care free attitude of don't like it don't play. Many what they called Fan boi's played it even with the Crashed and never complained, and Cool downs in Game can be fixed they were fine a few years ago and today they are not, why is this, Money Grabber attitude Make all you can before the game is trashed think Anthem and how it didn't even reach projections the 1st day because of all the Crashes and for Play Station 4 players it Locked the Drive up and a hard reset might not even fix it. this is where many Game Companies want games to go not the programmers but the ones controlling the show, but they probably have no interest in the game to start with just how much they can make from it before they shut it down.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User

krumple01 said:

Although all your points are valid and right. I think there is still an opportunity for things to swing back the other direction. Call me overly optimistic but I think by mod 17 its possible they will reduce cool downs with a balance in damage and mob resistances. If the new system they claim is easier to tweak then I can see that once they start hearing the majority of the player base are not happy with how combat is playing out. I bet it will be addressed. So all I can say is if you have nothing but hate for mod 16 hang in there, its possible things might turn around. I'm not saying things will be perfect or amazing but its possible it might be addressed.

If they reduce cool downs, drop damage from powers a bit and adjust resistances on mobs I can see it possibly returning to much faster pace combat. This however; doesn't even address the other aspect that a huge majority of players loved the options with feat and power choices but now that is all gone.

I heard the same argument after Mod6 and several subsequent modification following...

When people leave the game - or don't financially contribute as they once did because they no longer "trust the game", realistically that only applies to a minute portion of current players and likely not at all for many new and fairly new players who, let's face it are less likely to have the necessary skills and strategies early one to accumulate a great deal of in game wealth that would keep them from having to spend RL currency to financially support the game, and the RL currency coming into the game is probably the primary concern for the Neverwinter PTB's.

I know it isn't a terribly accurate measure (since it apparently only shown the STEAM numbers) and not ARC sign in's, but as most people would expect although Neverwinter player numbers have declined since it's initial public release in 2013 the numbers (at least according to STEAM seems to be holding reasonably steady the last 4-years...

I'm guessing PWI, Cryptic and Neverwinter are attempting changes with MOD16 to attract more new players, as well as well as keep as much as the 'magic" as they can for current players...

As I see it with just about everything the only thing that inevitable is change because without change there is only stagnation and stagnation is a slow death.

Simply trying to convince anyone that people left Neverwinter because of "changes" in the game seems to be ignoring a plethora of other factors like new/different games, burn out and yes, a few players are lost because of changes... changing a game from something a lot of players have become comfortable with to something they may no longer be as comfortable with.

As to whether or not the Mod16 changes will bring about greater or lesser number of people playing or staying with Neverwinter?

Well that remains to be seen regardless of all the speculation from both sides...

As to whether or not there will be future changes?

As I said, I believe that is inevitable if the game is going to survive.

My2¢
    DD~
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I am not certain that change is really where the problem is. I think it is more a problem of devs that are not willing to listen when 90% of the people are telling them that the change they are making is probably not the best thing to be doing (scaling as they are doing it). But if it goes how the players think it will go, I just hope that said devs are able to react quickly enough to keep the ship from sinking. But like anything in life, time will tell.
  • vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    dionchi said:

krumple01 said:

I heard the same argument after Mod6 and several subsequent modification following...

When people leave the game - or don't financially contribute as they once did because they no longer "trust the game", realistically that only applies to a minute portion of current players and likely not at all for many new and fairly new players [snip]
    I'm guessing PWI, Cryptic and Neverwinter are attempting changes with MOD16 to attract more new players, as well as well as keep as much as the 'magic" as they can for current players...

As I see it with just about everything the only thing that inevitable is change because without change there is only stagnation and stagnation is a slow death.

Simply trying to convince anyone that people left Neverwinter because of "changes" in the game seems to be ignoring a plethora of other factors like new/different games, burn out and yes, a few players are lost because of changes... changing a game from something a lot of players have become comfortable with to something they may no longer be as comfortable with. [snip]
    I see a number of people saying "eh, won't matter, survived mod 6, plenty doom callers, yadda yadda it won't be a big deal".

Well, perhaps. We did survive mod 6 after all. Although as I mentioned earlier, we at least still had an engaging and customizable combat/character/feat/power etc. system to work with.

For the ones who think it will all blow over, I recall a similar 're-write' project a large and well-established MMO did. It was called "Star Wars Galaxies".

Quote from the wiki:

"One week after this release the entire character development process was changed in the New Game Enhancements (NGE). Major changes included the reduction and simplification of professions, simplification of gameplay mechanics, and Jedi becoming a starting profession. This led to a number of players demanding their money back for the expansion. After a week or two of protests Sony offered refunds to anyone who asked for it. Many player towns became ghost towns due to the reaction of long term players who decided to depart en masse."

It took 4 more years to die, but that was the re-write and the player exodus that killed it. So yeah, I think people have a valid reason to be worried, and it's not all just doom-crying.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    vendood said:

dionchi said:

krumple01 said:

When people leave the game - or don't financially contribute as they once did because they no longer "trust the game", realistically that only applies to a minute portion of current players and likely not at all for many new and fairly new players [snip]

Simply trying to convince anyone that people left Neverwinter because of "changes" in the game seems to be ignoring a plethora of other factors like new/different games, burn out and yes, a few players are lost because of changes... changing a game from something a lot of players have become comfortable with to something they may no longer be as comfortable with. [snip]
    I see a number of people saying "eh, won't matter, survived mod 6, plenty doom callers, yadda yadda it won't be a big deal".

Well, perhaps. We did survive mod 6 after all. Although as I mentioned earlier, we at least still had an engaging and customizable combat/character/feat/power etc. system to work with.

For the ones who think it will all blow over, I recall a similar 're-write' project a large and well-established MMO did. It was called "Star Wars Galaxies".

Quote from the wiki:

"One week after this release the entire character development process was changed in the New Game Enhancements (NGE). Major changes included the reduction and simplification of professions, simplification of gameplay mechanics, and Jedi becoming a starting profession. This led to a number of players demanding their money back for the expansion. After a week or two of protests Sony offered refunds to anyone who asked for it. Many player towns became ghost towns due to the reaction of long term players who decided to depart en masse."

It took 4 more years to die, but that was the re-write and the player exodus that killed it. So yeah, I think people have a valid reason to be worried, and it's not all just doom-crying.
    The problem is, for every SWG, there's 5 games that went through something similar and survived. Hell, even SWtoR survived doing something very similar to what's being done here. My Magic 8 Ball is broken, so I can't predict what the outcome will be, but the cynic in me, after reading through a lot of threads on the topic sees a lot more of what I saw in reaction to AC Odyssey's scaling: "But I won't be able to just go to low level areas and roflstomp everything", and frankly, I don't see that as a game closer position. It's the same argument that was used against the changes in swtor, and frankly, I was still roflstomping dailies in lowbie zones there after the change, and something that, despite having this mechanic the entire time I've played it, GW 2 never seems to struggle with. Ironically, I can tell the difference there when I'm running an 80 through a starter zone for map completions as opposed to when I'm just leveling in the zone.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    I'll give it a try. It's not going to be as easy as Preview. My idea would have been to put 40,000,000 xp (forty million xp) between level 79 and 80 in 4 million lups for those at 16k+ IL level 70s for upgrades down to 100k lumps for 4k IL level 70 to allow the lower ranks to catch up and when everyone gets to level 80, then the rewrds come at 4 million xp cycles, but you get 4x rewardsand either a power point each time or a boon point each 4th time.

That's what ii would recommend. I don't think the devs are that smart, ecause they don't know they've been 'dumbed down' 3 letter grades. I speak from experience. Everyone is smart in some things, not everyone is smart in common sense.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I'll give it a try. It's not going to be as easy as Preview. My idea would have been to put 40,000,000 xp (forty million xp) between level 79 and 80 in 4 million lups for those at 16k+ IL level 70s for upgrades down to 100k lumps for 4k IL level 70 to allow the lower ranks to catch up and when everyone gets to level 80, then the rewrds come at 4 million xp cycles, but you get 4x rewardsand either a power point each time or a boon point each 4th time.

That's what I would recommend. I don't think the devs are that smart, because they don't know they've been 'dumbed down' 3 letter grades. I speak from experience. Everyone is smart in some things, not everyone is smart in common sense.