test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Slowly increasing lag ... anyone else ?

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
Since last week, I have been struggling with a strange lag issue, and I am wondering if anyone else is seeing the same symptoms.

The unusual thing is that when I start the game, it runs just fine - speedtest.net says I am getting 600-900 mbps. Then, the game slowly starts getting slower and slower, and after 20 minutes or so the speed has slowed down to a crawl and speedtest.net says I am getting 50-100 mbps.
Restarting the game does not change anything, but rebooting the router fixes the problem ... I'm back to 600-900 mbps again, only for the slowdown to repeat over the next 20 minutes or so.

As I said, this is quite odd, and started just last week. It feels like the router is somehow "leaking" some resources while the game is running, but I'm not sure how to determine that (and for the record, I am using the RT-AC87U router).

So, is anyone else seeing the same issue of lag that slowly increases?

If not, any suggestions?
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• draugkirdraugkir Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Easy explanation.. must be all the new players comign to the game after mod 16 changes were announced.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    i'm mostly on xbox but in the last week the lag has been bad for most. not increasing just bad. lots of disconnects and server non responding. I was disconnecting in dungeons so bad yesterday I decided to just log off and play blackout (Which was not having problems) imo it's definitely the game not my connection. I posted about it in my alliance and I am definitely not the only one seeing it.
  • sunstreakmodsunstreakmod Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Just to toss my experience in the ring: yesterday & Tues was plagued by terrible lag; the last few days the lag has been pronounced at peak times; even producing strange behaviours such as looping particle effect from the "Invoking God" skill, etc.

I did notice a significant number of very low chars the past few days; so the previous guess by Draugkir that new players may be flooding in could be true.

I've played MMO's forever. I'm used to odd laggy behaviour. I'm only mentioning the last few days because it did indeed seem oddly game breaking... we obviously needed today's maintenance. :)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I sorted this out yesterday.

The reason was......dust.

The CPU fan was getting clogged with dust, leading the CPU To overheat, and it would slow down more as it got warmer. The reason the problem went away if I rebooted the router was that I had to go down to the basement to switch it off . and dropping out of the game for a few minutes allowed the CPU to cool down a bit.

Anyhow....back to a gigabit connection with 60 FPS now...
    Hoping for improvements...