test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User

There are very offensive based powers that fit into the defense slots (yojimbo and bear cub come to mind) so perhaps there should be a bit less freaking out...

So funny that you used example maybe the 2 best (the best are still horrible and would never be used if they were offensive) bonus to exeplify.

Meanwhile some classes will be running 3 companions that give you POWER (Deepcrow Hatchiling, Alpha Compy, Tiger or Mercenary), or fellows that give Dot (Grung, Death Slaad or Xune), or who knows fellows that will give buff damage (Paranoid Delusion, Panther and Slyblade Kobold). I'm not going crazy, I'm just trying to show that with 3 defensive slots a Barbarian will not be able to be an efficient dps as the others.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019

There are only 3 available companion gears with dual Defense slots, and two are now identical:

Obedient +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +1704 critResist
    Defiant +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +1704 critResist
    Sturdy +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +682 critResist +1022 Deflection

This must have been a typo or unfinished transfer. Reccomended:

Obedient +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +682 critResist, +1022 Awareness
    Defiant +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +682 critResist, +1022 Defense
    Sturdy +4 Companion gear gives +341 combined rating, +682 critResist +1022 Deflection

• tasukete#2528 tasukete Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Please don't make defender companions able to tank in the dungeons instead of players. This could make private queues consist of 5 dps or 4 dps and a healer.
  • tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2019

There are very offensive based powers that fit into the defense slots (yojimbo and bear cub come to mind) so perhaps there should be a bit less freaking out...

It isn't as much as there being second rate options to fall back to on a worst case scenario, but seeing oneself locked out of using those specifically designed for the use you meant to give your character.

Pick one, watch the "Real damage dealing classes" use all three.

You and I both know, that they are not going to design "A defensive option" for every new best-in-slot companion power, so imagine going forward the kind of disadvantage that the [I am sure, oh so very few] Barbarians that want to be damage dealers will find themselves in.

This doesn't mean that this one decision would make Barbarians useless as damage dealers, knock on Aquila, but it does mean that they would need some serious balancing to remain viable as such, and with the approach we have seen Cryptic take to balancing, well..

Some things are better left unsaid.
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?
  • mestrahdmestrahd Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I don't know if this has been mentioned in the 15 pages thus far, but here are my 2 cents on this.

With regards to the power slot types, I feel some of them are off. For example, it doesn't make sense for a Barbarian/Fighter to have 1O3D1U when they have a dedicated DPS spec. That would put them at a severe disadvantage while in Blademaster/Dreadnought. My preference would be something like a baseline of 1O1D1U and have 2 "floaters" that were dependent on the archetype. Again, for example, the TANK archetype specs could have an additional 2 Defense slots. the DPS archetype could have 2 additional Offense slots, while the HEALER archetype could have some other combo, maybe 1 Defense and 1 Utility. To be honest, I was quite surprised to find the ratios were set by class and not by role. The only ones not affected by this are the classes with 2 DPS specs. But for those with dual purpose, something needs to be done.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    mestrahd said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the 15 pages thus far, but here are my 2 cents on this.

With regards to the power slot types, I feel some of them are off. For example, it doesn't make sense for a Barbarian/Fighter to have 1O3D1U when they have a dedicated DPS spec. That would put them at a severe disadvantage while in Blademaster/Dreadnought. My preference would be something like a baseline of 1O1D1U and have 2 "floaters" that were dependent on the archetype. Again, for example, the TANK archetype specs could have an additional 2 Defense slots. the DPS archetype could have 2 additional Offense slots, while the HEALER archetype could have some other combo, maybe 1 Defense and 1 Utility. To be honest, I was quite surprised to find the ratios were set by class and not by role. The only ones not affected by this are the classes with 2 DPS specs. But for those with dual purpose, something needs to be done.

This is what I have been addressing since page 13, but it seems that is already unchanged, since there was no comment from Dev responsible for the topic on the subject. Now I can only wait for the launch of the new module, to know if I will stay in the range of 5% +/- damage difference (quoted by some Dev on some topic) to another dps with 3 offensive slots.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    mestrahd said:

"The only ones not affected by this are the classes with 2 DPS specs."

Indeed it has. Negative.
    Just as in the case of selfishly self-centered classes like Barbie.
    The amendment concerning the change of one slot on UNIVERSAL, suggested by me would give the benefit to everyone. For you and your Barbies buddys, exclusively own profits are counting.
    You come here only to cry how your class was hurt ...

We all use companions, changes are needed for EVERYONE who want to affected by their own playing.

Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • mestrahdmestrahd Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    mushellka said:

mestrahd said:

Indeed it has. Negative.
    The amendment concerning the change of one slot on UNIVERSAL, suggested by me would give the benefit to everyone. For you and your Barbies buddys, exclusively own profits are counting.

We all use companions, changes are needed for EVERYONE who want to affected by their own playing.

I don't understand how DPS classes like Wizard and Rogue are hurt by having 3O1D1U. That seems like the ideal ratio since the devs are going with this system. Are you hurt by not having 4O? I never mentioned MY class, just pointed out two specs that would be UNDULY hurt by the current system.
    edited March 2019
    mushellka said:

mestrahd said:

Indeed it has. Negative.

Don't chase your own tail, mestrahd's proposal covers all classes. He says that the slots should assigned by build, not class.

mestrahd said:

This is what I have been addressing since page 13, but it seems that is already unchanged, since there was no comment from Dev responsible for the topic on the subject. Now I can only wait for the launch of the new module, to know if I will stay in the range of 5% +/- damage difference (quoted by some Dev on some topic) to another dps with 3 offensive slots.
    That they don't comment, doesn't mean that they don't read. I remember back before Strahd came for a visit that I warned of some changes that were needed on certain items. None of the developers addressed me, however when the mod came through, the changes had been made.

So either they did follow the thread, or santa seriously misplaced his naughty list.
    Post edited by tanais58crane on
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?

mushellka said:

mestrahd said:

Indeed it has. Negative.

Don't chase your own tail, mestrahd's proposal covers all classes. He says that the slots should assigned by build, not class.

No, it doesn't solving all problems, apart from Barbies problems.
    Tanks will have 3 DEF slots and DPS will have 3 slots OFF. And that's something that I want to avoid, in order to not to look the same as, for example, you. I wants the diversity in the game, and one of the way is this change.
    And yes, I play DPS I have 2 paths dps and... wait ... yes, I want to have a UNIVERSAL slot instead of 3 OFF.

mestrahd said:

I don't understand how DPS classes like Wizard and Rogue are hurt by having 3O1D1U. m.

I know you don't understand. I don't blame you for that :)
    mestrahd said:

I never mentioned MY class, just pointed out two specs that would be UNDULY hurt by the current system.

If that was the case, you would agree that the addition of the universal slot solves the problems of all classes, not just two. Therefore, it is a more practical solution.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    If you make companions work by role you are forcing dual role classes to have 2 sets of companions.

2 Def/ 2Off/2 Uni slots for everything pretty much addresses a whole bunch of issues.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I would rather they Just make one of those DEF slots become Universal for FTR & BRB and be done with it. The complaining seems like nit-picking to me. But if they do, the DPS classes will want one of their OFF to be universal. Then Clerics, Warlocks, and Paladins will want an extra universal. Then FTR & BRB will want one more Universal again. Remember, every class is going to be ultimately balanced by its skills, after all else, including companion powers.

The only Kindergarten 'fair-means-equal' way would be to give every class 5 universal, but then there is no character at all. Maybe 3 universal plus one per role would be better:

OFF + OFF ...Wizard, Rogue, Ranger
    OFF + DEF ...Fighter, Barbarian
    OFF + Utility ...Cleric, Warlock
    DEF + Utility ...Paladin

EDIT: There is one more equal way that allows everyone to have 1 (min) and 3 (max) of a kind, the player controls.

UNI + UNI + OFF + DEF + Utility

This is the one i prefer.
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on

If you make companions work by role you are forcing dual role classes to have 2 sets of companions.

2 Def/ 2Off/2 Uni slots for everything pretty much addresses a whole bunch of issues.

But ... we only have 5 slots. Perhaps did I overlook something? :)
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    Can you please leave Warlock alone with you proposal? It's perfectly fine with 3 offensive slots, there is no need to change that, thanks.

I would rather they Just make one of those DEF slots become Universal for FTR & BRB and be done with it. The complaining seems like nit-picking to me. But if they do, the DPS classes will want one of their OFF to be universal. Then Clerics, Warlocks, and Paladins will want an extra universal. Then FTR & BRB will want one more Universal again. Remember, every class is going to be ultimately balanced by its skills, after all else, including companion powers.

The only Kindergarten 'fair-means-equal' way would be to give every class 5 universal, but then there is no character at all. Maybe 3 universal plus one per role would be better:

OFF + OFF ...Wizard, Rogue, Ranger
    OFF + DEF ...Fighter, Barbarian
    OFF + Utility ...Cleric, Warlock
    DEF + Utility ...Paladin

Equal it does not mean justly ;)

Then Barbies will cry to death, that Wizard, Rogue, Ranger haven't DEF slot, like them: P
    The reason for the crying will always be.

I am assured that ONE UNI slot for classes with 3x DEF or 3x OFF will be decent. Of course, we're talking about changing one of three: def and off. As I see it, I wrote a page or two before ...

It isn't the biggest change and I think that should be possible to of implementing.
    If while in general someone reads this thread ...

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited March 2019

If your companion dies you lose the companion gift.
    Companions delay to give companion gift.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Just wondering - have any of the super rich players who bought those Knox AD sink companions last year posted here whether those companions have retained their unique value in M16?

• lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    I'm still trying to understand how those changes will affect augments... Does the powers activate while using an augment or only works with "normal" companions?
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
    edited March 2019
    nisckis said:

Can you please leave Warlock alone with you proposal? It's perfectly fine with 3 offensive slots, there is no need to change that, thanks.

If you have a universal plus 2x off slots, who will forbid you from using it as 3 off? You will only get the choice, you do not want to change to another - don't change. But maybe someone else will want to take advantage of this opportunity.

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    > @mushellka said:
    > If you make companions work by role you are forcing dual role classes to have 2 sets of companions.
    >
    > 2 Def/ 2Off/2 Uni slots for everything pretty much addresses a whole bunch of issues.
    >
    >
    > But ... we only have 5 slots. Perhaps did I overlook something? :)

The important part, that the dual role classes are punished by any proposal based on role.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    mushellka said:

nisckis said:

If you have a universal plus 2x off slots, who will forbid you from using it as 3 off? You will only get the choice, you do not want to change to another - don't change. But maybe someone else will want to take advantage of this opportunity.

As far as they are universal I don't care about further changes, but people were asking for warlock having utility slots.

The simplest way would be 1 enhancement (I think is called that way, I don't remember now), 1 utility and 4 universal. That way everyone is happy and can configure freely.
  • rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Recently did a full research on the companion transferred stats; how it works.

Not sure if this is intended that companion influence bonus does not affect augments anymore but this is red in any case...
    Companion Influence Bonus does not have an effect anymore on augments EXCEPT for the awareness stat... It seems to be actually influencing the base values even without gear/bonding runestones. This is not shown on the companions stats and powers screen but is transferred to the character

Something less extreme... but OCD is killing me...
    Uncommon/Rare augment, 14% bolster: why do defense and armor penetration have 1 more point...?
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User

Dual classes already have need to have dual everything - gear, enchants and so on..... Time of hybrids is gone - there would be no more AA or powershare to cover any shortcomings, so any more places left as "choices" are more then welcomed.
    edited March 2019
    mushellka said:

mushellka said:

mestrahd said:

Indeed it has. Negative.

No, it doesn't solving all problems, apart from Barbies problems.
    Tanks will have 3 DEF slots and DPS will have 3 slots OFF. And that's something that I want to avoid, in order to not to look the same as, for example, you. I wants the diversity in the game, and one of the way is this change.
    And yes, I play DPS I have 2 paths dps and... wait ... yes, I want to have a UNIVERSAL slot instead of 3 OFF.
    Well, tell someone to stop chasing their own tail, and they chase it all the harder. Just tell me when you stop spinning.

I am not saying that having the same slots across all classes and roles would be a bad option, but as far as I have seen it has been the developer's policy to have classes with dual roles have to switch around companions, gear and enchantments to be effective when they move from one to the other.

However I do see your point, as when switching from one role to another now were they to change with roles, it is not that you would benefit less from their actives, but you would be downright unable to use them.

Ultimately it is up to the developers to pick the option they think will be best for their players.

[ Or whichever one they drew out of the sorting hat first. ]
    gripnir78 said:

Dual classes already have need to have dual everything - gear, enchants and so on..... Time of hybrids is gone - there would be no more AA or powershare to cover any shortcomings, so any more places left as "choices" are more then welcomed.
    It would be good to have every class and role with the same template (1-2 Defensive, 1-2 Offensive, 1-3 Universal slots) with the choice of what to focus those later universal slots on, so players could just pick what fits their playstyle best, the only issue I see with that would be possible balancing issues.
    sgrantdev said:

Greetings Everyone,
    Just a quick note to let you know that I have not forgotten about you. I am actively looking at the page and taking note of reports, but I am also the designer working on enemy design, boons revamp, dungeon boss designs, and the rune system.

I have been trying to focus on each one a few days at a time and recently shifted focus from companions to boons.
    This does not mean that I am done with companions it just means that other features need my attention so they can cross the finish line as bug free and polished as possible.

The next patch should contain several companion related updates including some cleaning up of augments. So please keep posting your feedback and bugs here knowing that they are being seen.

Thank you once again for all of the help you have given us so far, we truly appreciate it.

Silius

We all want to see this game doing well.

(bla, bla, bla..)

It would be good to have every class and role with the same template (1-2 Defensive, 1-2 Offensive, 1-3 Universal slots) with the choice of what to focus those later universal slots on, so players could just pick what fits their playstyle best, the only issue I see with that would be possible balancing issues.

Interesting. A few posts above, you discredit my suggestions, trying to insult me, after which you attribute this idea to yourself with a slight modification :) You only forgot about one, in "your" proposal ... about the existence of the "utility slot", which is an important element of the companions system.

Well, I will support "your" propose, with a slight stipulation: there is no need to add universal slots for DCs, because they have a perfect layout: 2x off, 2 x uti and 1x def.

However I am doubting whether devs they will agree on more than one universal slot, because it can just disturb the balance.

I doubt more that they would resigned from the utility slots.