test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some Screenshots in TGA and some in JPG?

weatherplayerweatherplayer Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Looks like taking screenshots during cut scenes, character creator, and maybe some other times, gets them in the old TGA format. While in the game they appear to be captured in JPG format. One of my screenshot display programs can't deal with the TGA format that's produced like it's an old variant or something. Anyway, the format is old enough that Windows 10 can't display the thumbnail in the File Manager.

I would like to be more clear about when TGA shows up, but it does not seem consistent for some reason.

Could we make all the screenshots in JPG please?
Thanks.

I would have loved to provide some examples of TGA files, but IMGUR and Wordpress do not support TGA files. ;)
Looks like the TGA files were shot during the opening tutorial during the cut scene and were captured on March 16, 2019. Yep. Latest version as of that date. Oh let me go try google drive and see if that will take these files.

Picture in TGA

Another Picutre

Looks like that worked.

Comments

• weatherplayerweatherplayer Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Yep. Any of the cut scenes capture as TGA. Just did the capture the crown instance at level 10 and any capture during a cutscene was captured as TGA, but outside of cutscenes, JPG was the result.

Hum... TGA is so old that even Google Drive won't preview it. Time to retire this old format. Everybody else has.
    Actually, screenshots are pretty messed up in this game. You can't take pictures if you press ALT or open any dialog? So, you can't take a picture of your character panel or your inventory? Or the Zen store? Basically screenshots are broken and useless. They only take selfies if you are playing. Not my idea of screenshot support.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    The great @midnightlight#2361 can correct me but I believe TGA is for higher quality images (which makes sense for cutscenes). I know there are online converters or, if you have Bridge, you can preview them there.
    Well, it seems that PNG is the standard for lossless compression these days. Long past are the days of GIF and TGA, since they use proprietary / patented compression. Patents have probably run out, but PNG was invented with Open Non Patented compression to get around this issue. Anyway, Win 10 does not support TGA - cannot display or read to show thumbnails. And some screenshots in NW are saved in JPG. Just needs to save 'em all in a modern format. Right? Or JPG or PNG for everything. Either works fine.
  • midnightlight#2361 midnightlight Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 45 Cryptic Developer
    We use tga for all our textures. Photoshop currently supports them, if you have access to that then I would say to open the tga there and then resave it as a jpeg.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    You can also use GIMP. It is widely considered to be one of the best free open source image programs.
  • icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    The console commands let you choose the format, but you wouldn't be able to use those during cut scenes (unless you bind them I guess?).
    /screenshot
    /screenshot_jpg
    /screenshot_ui
    /screenshot_ui_jpg

/screenshot_depth is new, don't know what that one does.
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    You can always use the default Win+Prt Scr combo as an option. Not sure how it rates against the in game tool though.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs