test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The right time for a new player?

nightingale2941nightingale2941 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I'm downloading Neverwinter as I write this. After playing STO for years, I'm reading to give NVW a try. I'm reading the forums about "M16," I assume a major update. Is this a good time to jump in for a new player? Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Not really because thing will be changed totally. However, you can still enjoy the process but try not to invest too much.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    You would have to relearn some things and things you get cause they're BiS might no longer be worth anything in M16. But other than that, you should be good. :)
    FrozenFire
  • avatar123plavatar123pl Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I would say : yes, it is good time. At this point you can level your character from scrap (1 lvl) to hero (60 lvl), get to know game a little, and then boom - new update. And it doesn't matter if you get best gear or worst - during leveling from 60 to 80 everyone will have to change their gear on new one.

Also its worth to notice that if you are "prepare" with max lvl you get into that hype "new expansion!" and see crowds everywhere ^^
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    You should start, roll up a class you really enjoy, fall in love with so that you can feel the way the rest of us have felt at some point. Cryptic pulls out their dagger of broken hearts and stabs you repeatedly until you say, "But everything seemed fine how it was, why did you change it." Then you hear a programmer in the background cough and say mumblely, "money grab".
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My advice for the new player and the old player is the same as before;

https://www.arcgames.com/en/my/character/copy/nw

Join preview and find out for yourself, if you like what is coming in April, then stick around.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Try it and see if you like it. But then with SO MANY changes coming, maybe wait till Mod 16 hits down.

A lot depends on how viable solo-play is in Campaign Content. If that is slow and neerfed to death then due to bad downscaling, then I imagine it will be even harder after Mod 16 hits.

Overall Neverwinter is a beautiful game, looks great, plays well [at the moment], can be immersive and is very much a TRUE free to play game. It really is FREE, so give it a whirl!
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Wait for M16.

Starting now will just lead to frustration when the new mod drops in a few weeks, and you have to re-learn everything you thought you understood about the game.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Start now and mentally prepare everything will be changed. Gather resource and conserve resource. Raise your character as much as you can. It should be easier to do it now than in the new mod. Have some fun and again mentally prepare everything will be changed. When the new mod drops, usually, they will give old player some goodies for the new mod. By that time, you will be considered old player.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    There will be some things that will change a little.
    Some things will change a lot.
    Some things won't really change.

So sure, it's a good time to come on in.

You can score some Astral Diamonds, get a starting companion or two, maybe even get a nice little item from an event or something along the way.

Just pay attention and read the blog posts about Mod16 when they appear.

And if you have questions you can ask in chat but the forums are probably better unless it's an emergency.