test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do fails in gathering provide experience?

jamvarujamvaru Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I just don't know. I can't recall if I ever got exp for a crafting failure, but I don't think so.
A screenshot would be nice, but I don't even know if that is possible.
Thanks.
In other words, is it really worth trying to gather anything at less than 100% success rate?

Best Answer

Answers

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    As far as I know there is no XP gain if the task fails.
    It worth trying to gather less than 100% if you don't have the better tool and enough proficiency and is willing to take the risk. For the high end resource, you almost always cannot get 100%.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • jamvarujamvaru Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    and you get more exp though chance of fail. is there an exp list somewhere?
    guess not, the section is blank on the wiki
    i suppose 50% isn't bad really, esp for gathering, though the fail takes up a slot in the results storage
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    If any profession task fails, there is zero experience earned - either by you or the artisan/adventurer.
    It does not make sense for the game to allow XP for failure because that means it promote failure over success.
    Basically, people will intentionally do the high failure rate task instead of trying their best to success because the (even discounted) XP pay out of the fail out-of-your-league task (use the worn tool) would be a lot higher than the task you try your best (get the best tool) to get 100%.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

It does not make sense for the game to allow XP for failure because that means it promote failure over success.
    Basically, people will intentionally do the high failure rate task instead of trying their best to success because the (even discounted) XP pay out of the fail out-of-your-league task (use the worn tool) would be a lot higher than the task you try your best (get the best tool) to get 100%.

It could be coded to be better to try tasks with a nominal failure rate than it is to focus on tasks that have either guaranteed success or very high success rates. It's just more work from a developer perspective and, with only two systems designers on the team, they certainly do not have the manpower necessary to make the professions systems work like that.
  • lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Funny thing though...IRL you actually DO gain experience by failing...
    edited March 2019

Yes, you do but in IRL, you won't get promotion (increase the ranking) by keep on failing on doing the task you are not supposed to do.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    jamvaru said:

I just don't know. I can't recall if I ever got exp for a crafting failure, but I don't think so.
    Thanks.
    In other words, is it really worth trying to gather anything at less than 100% success rate?

I do not know of any way to look at the gathering professions as they complete, however I do know that you get no experience from failing a crafting task. When you fail at crafting, the XP meter does not move.

jamvaru said:

Thanks.

I do not know of any way to look at the gathering professions as they complete, however I do know that you get no experience from failing a crafting task. When you fail at crafting, the XP meter does not move.
    If you "collect" the failed result of a gathering task from the delivery box, it will show that there was no experience awarded.

As for @jamvaru's question about it being worth attempting to gather stuff at less than a 100% success rate, the answer is yes. How much below a 100% success rate is still worth attempting is subjective. It depends on how badly you need the resource you're trying to gather, how much gold you're willing to burn trying to gather it, and other factors. In some cases, you simply don't have a choice as you may be trying to gather something that is level 68 to 70 (in particular) and unable to achieve a 100% success rate with the adventurer and tool you have available. If guaranteed success is important enough to you, you'll spend the money to get a sufficiently rare tool to accomplish that. For example, I bought a Legendary Hatchet for both my warlock and my wife's warlock because I wanted not only the guaranteed success, but I also wanted the guaranteed +1 result when gathering Myrrh Branches. I also put Wootz and/or Legendary Alembics on those characters so they could get Myrrh +1 from the branches.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It is something I've been meaning to test but as a guess, XP rewards from higher level tasks offset gailing some tasks assuming you have the best quality tool for your rank. This is mostly in regards to leveling your profession rather than just leveling your Adventurer/Artisan. I have had good success leveling gathering on multiple characters by taking the +1 Variety of their best tool and selecting tasks that will give me an 85% +/- success rate. Having other characters who are able to make these tools helps greatly as well but prices in the AH seem fairly cheap.

While you will fail some tasks, I feel the XP gain is better. It is simple to check, multiply the XP gain times the %Success for each possible task and then divide by the time needed for the task. This provides a relative value for each task.

Since Gathering can not be rushed, it is best to use the fastest Adventurers. Rona Farhill and Dilara Ayak are the best white quality ones. Dilara has a positive commission modifier but if you plan to craft, it is better to use the right people and develop a plan to replenish gold than to use suboptimal artisans for your tasks.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

You also get fired the more and more you fail at your tasks. Also, some people IRL gain experience by learning from their failures. Some people just keep making the same mistakes over and over and never learn. So you don't necessarily learn anything from failing.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

jamvaru said:

Thanks.

If you "collect" the failed result of a gathering task from the delivery box, it will show that there was no experience awarded.

As for @jamvaru's question about it being worth attempting to gather stuff at less than a 100% success rate, the answer is yes. How much below a 100% success rate is still worth attempting is subjective. It depends on how badly you need the resource you're trying to gather, how much gold you're willing to burn trying to gather it, and other factors. In some cases, you simply don't have a choice as you may be trying to gather something that is level 68 to 70 (in particular) and unable to achieve a 100% success rate with the adventurer and tool you have available. If guaranteed success is important enough to you, you'll spend the money to get a sufficiently rare tool to accomplish that. For example, I bought a Legendary Hatchet for both my warlock and my wife's warlock because I wanted not only the guaranteed success, but I also wanted the guaranteed +1 result when gathering Myrrh Branches. I also put Wootz and/or Legendary Alembics on those characters so they could get Myrrh +1 from the branches.
    I don't have a spread sheet or anything, but I run 3 attempts at each gathering task per day. if I have 50% & 60% I usually get a 2 out of 3 success rate.

jamvaru said:

Thanks.

I don't have a spread sheet or anything, but I run 3 attempts at each gathering task per day. if I have 50% & 60% I usually get a 2 out of 3 success rate.
    That makes sense. I was simply pointing out that if you collect the failed Gathering task individually (rather than hitting "Collect All" at the bottom right corner of the delivery box), the dialog box that appears shows that experience was not awarded for that task.
    yes, you can click on individual completed tasks to collect and see the experience gain if any
    I've found that i prefer to not fail at gathering tasks or tasks on order but don't mind failing if using morale, though would rather not. I try to do higher level tasks with morale and lower level ones with timed orders.
    IRL you may or may not learn by failing but you do learn by consequence. The consequences of failing may be insignificant, like missing a free point shot in basketball if you are practicing vs. actual game. If the consequence for fail is greater you learn more, more exp.
    If you really want the high level gather or task then you must accept the chance of fail and do what you can to mitigate it, like fancy gear and premium retainers.
    I prefer using the retainers with reduced commission cost. At least you don't burn through so much gold, whether fail or success.

thanks for discussion
    oh, on a related note, small question:
    in the display for proficiency it has a % rating. Is the calculation using this % or the proficiency number when determining success? So if you use a balm and it raises your proficiency but not enough to get another % bump, is it wasted? As when you can choose between the regular balm or the +1 balm. Sometimes you get another % bump, but sometimes not, though your proficiency does go up a bit.