test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intro Quest: An important Invitation

mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer
Lord Neverember requests your presence!

Please let us know how the Intro quest into Undermountain played out for your and your new powers, and gear. In fact, how did your first 5 minutes back into the game play out for you?

Adventure is yours- and Thanks!

----
Formatting Your Feedback and Bugs
For posting feedback and bugs, please follow the following format to ensure your feedback and bugs are seen clearly and processed in a timely manner, thank you!

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN. If you are replying to another user's post, asking a question, or just engaging in general discussion, please do not color your posts, general discussion is welcome and we will read all of it, regardless of color! You can use BBCode to color your text:

This text will display in cyan.
This text will display in red.

Examples:
Bug: I was not able to get to the Yawning Portal and complete the quest.

Feedback: I felt that there could have been more going on in the campsite.
Go ahead, click on the chest...

Comments

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    My first 5 minutes back into the game were my character teleporting all over the place, then fall through the world into complete darkness, then being ported near to lord neverwmber, and then being stuck there, unable to move.
    After that I fell through the darkness once more, got kicked out of server and now whenever I try to relog to the server, I get a time out message.

In a nutshell, a fantastic adventure.
  • draugkirdraugkir Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    My first 5 mins were of sadness… watching how you have ruined this game.

Its like playing a whole diferente game.. on a very very old engine.. feels weird.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    confusion and getting killed by mobs instantly. this quest from lord neverember was not present. he had nothing for me. someone told me it was just available on world map. so I just went.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    My first thoughts are why can't I put my rings back on my pet. At a million each and tigers on many of my toons this is a low blow. Please make the currently equipped pet gear become unbound or bound to account when you force unequip it from us (Bronzewood Raid Ring +1). Also can't use enchantments on your pet anymore... Not liking this either.

Can you please allow a full character reset including ability scores? Things have changed here.

I'll go to bed some night with a fully functioning game and come back to a bunch of broken HAMSTER toons.
    I spent approx 2 hours looking over my character sheet, respecing, etc. The first 5 minutes won't get any info from a player because we are busy looking over the damage this mod has done to our accounts. Most of my damn pets are naked, not new gear to grind for, just left naked.

Secondary thoughts are I love the layout of the pets and the flexability there with skins and powers.

I'll eventually make it to the content...
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    It took much longer than 5 minutes for me to parse out what what happening and pick what I thought were decent power choices and get started. And I second the disappointment about my companion's gear now being 100% useless (Gravestriker Ring, Gravestalker Ring, Electrum Raid Necklace +1) and the fact that not only did I have no companion gear, but I couldn't even trade my companion's People Enchants for the new Pet Enchants.

Once I started the new zone, I discovered three things: #1, my 17K-without-guild-boons Arbiter DC with 200,000 HP was squishy as *heck*. I was regularly one-shot by the humanoid mobs right outside the door (although the non-humanoids tended to just damage-but-not-kill me). My damage to them, in turn, was always either "instant kill" or "barely scratch".

#2: I found the burning/radiant stacks thing confusing even after I read all the tooltips, but I think I'm starting to get a hang of it.

#3: Holy TROUT, even gearless my companion is one-shotting the enemies. All the enemies. The ones I can't scratch? My companion, naked, smashes them flat.

So overall, my "first five minutes"? Not a great experience. Part of that was needing to redo from scratch and relearn powers from zero, part was discovering that expensive and difficult gear and enchants I'd invested in was not just worthless but bound to me *and* worthless, and part was just that it felt very much like the balance in the new zone was way off. That first one is inevitable, the second one I know will be PARTIALLY fixed (allowing me to trade companion enchants for Runestones) at some point, and the third one, well, that's up to you.

(But seriously, QoL thing, there's gotta be SOMETHING we can do for the People Gear we're currently using as Companion Gear?)
  • mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer

My first 5 minutes back into the game were my character teleporting all over the place, then fall through the world into complete darkness, then being ported near to lord neverwmber, and then being stuck there, unable to move.
    After that I fell through the darkness once more, got kicked out of server and now whenever I try to relog to the server, I get a time out message.

In a nutshell, a fantastic adventure.

I am assuming this is with an imported character? Do you know where you would have been if you logged in in the live game, or where you started from on Preview?
    Thanks for any clues.
    M.K.
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    After getting my character situated, which took some time. I went to Knox and Neverember.
    Neither had a quest for me to get. Like a lot of others it seemed that did not have a quest zone chat was nice enough to tell us to go to the Moonstoone Mask and it should start. Which it did, from that point on everything ran smooth quest wise. The gear was unneeded for the character I was playing, but I have a few alts it would be decent and welcome on.
    I thought it was a lazy way in at first to take the "secret entrance" and not see something of Waterdeep proper... Even in a cut scene or something short. I mostly changed my mind after jumping into that well... Which I did, my first time down. Yolo. I think it gave me a achievement for "The fast way down" or something. I was blown away at the size and scale of UnderMountain. The farther in the better. Kudos. It could use more spiders to kill or a faster spawn rate on that first quest.
    This was on my wizard with out a fireball. On mimic server.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I imported one of each class to preview so that over time I could check out the changes. On some characters, the quest auto started, on others it didn't. On at least one, it auto started the second or third time I switched to her (so on another day) TBH I'd rather the quest not auto start, be able to be abandoned or else it gave some break before sending you off on the journey. I have a lot of characters, most of whom I don't have time to run through the questline. It would be somewhat annoying to have the quest stuck in all of their journals.

So far I've started the questline on three characters, Wiz, Warlock and Cleric. The Warlock was getting one shot until I learned about the chicken bug. I was very pleasantly surprised to see an Ettercap and later on Kuo-Toa, Myconids as well as some new giant animals. Haven't progressed past the Kuo-Toa part on anyone. A little surprised at the how the Slaad was presented. They aren't evil but usually aren't nice either. All that I've seen so far of the Undermountain maps looks nice. There are enough new assets and skillful use of old ones that the area doesn't feel recycled.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer

confusion and getting killed by mobs instantly. this quest from lord neverember was not present. he had nothing for me. someone told me it was just available on world map. so I just went.

Can you tell me where you were when you logged in that you were getting killed?
    Thanks
    M.K.
    dontez1 said:

After getting my character situated, which took some time. I went to Knox and Neverember.
    Neither had a quest for me to get. Like a lot of others it seemed that did not have a quest zone chat was nice enough to tell us to go to the Moonstoone Mask and it should start. Which it did, from that point on everything ran smooth quest wise. The gear was unneeded for the character I was playing, but I have a few alts it would be decent and welcome on.
    I thought it was a lazy way in at first to take the "secret entrance" and not see something of Waterdeep proper... Even in a cut scene or something short. I mostly changed my mind after jumping into that well... Which I did, my first time down. Yolo. I think it gave me a achievement for "The fast way down" or something. I was blown away at the size and scale of UnderMountain. The farther in the better. Kudos. It could use more spiders to kill or a faster spawn rate on that first quest.
    This was on my wizard with out a fireball. On mimic server.

Thanks for the feedback. We auto grant the quest at level 70, so you didn't need to go to a contact- but the fact that you didn't see this is being looked at so that we can better let you know about the quest. Glad you are enjoying undermountain
    Cheers
    M.K.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Can you tell me where you were when you logged in that you were getting killed?
    Thanks
    M.K.
    just regular quest line. I went back yesterday and figured out I also had the chicken slotted. Yesterday when I was getting one shotted it was the huntsman and the variant of the huntsman can't remember what they are called. with the chicken slotted it was well over 200000k per shot they were doing to me and I think my hp was like 180. unslotted the chicken power and it went down to 2000 damage they were doing on me. im about half way thru the campaign now and since unslotting the chicken i'm only dying if I get over run in a mob that has more than one critter with a net.) with multiples their stun is unbreakable because one stuns you and then the other one casts another net on you rinse repeat til you're dead as you can't break out of it can't heal. but that's only occasionally happening. it's irritating though.

I think everyone has chicken power slotted so that would be a nice one to fix.

at the end of the first campaign quest line, I was very confused about what to do next. I turned in the last quest and the harper didn't light up again.. took me a few minutes to figure out it was go to campaign and click button. I did that but when the screen went back to the tavern the harper didn't light up with a exclamation mark right away. so I ended up going to pe to talk to knox and neverember, went back and looked all over the tavern. finally it did light up again. took about half an hour of wandering. second quest ending was better because I remembered what happened the first time and the harper did light up again right away.. but it would be nice to have some direction there to help with confusion.

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I didn't see a quest auto-grant either. I just went straight to Undermountain. Didn't know anything about having to go to the Moonstone Mask. That is very different. I do like what happened when I just dived into the well.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I didn't even know there was a quest, I just looked at the map and ported to the new location.

Also, you apparently have to look at your campaign journal and click something to be able to get the quest from the bard? I did the rescue quest and the spider blood quest then couldn't see another quest giver and bailed. Not very intuitive for someone who hasn't had to look at a campaign journal for months.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs

I didn't even know there was a quest, I just looked at the map and ported to the new location.

Also, you apparently have to look at your campaign journal and click something to be able to get the quest from the bard? I did the rescue quest and the spider blood quest then couldn't see another quest giver and bailed. Not very intuitive for someone who hasn't had to look at a campaign journal for months.

We are fixing the campaign journal issue- just not up on preview yet- thanks!
    M.K.

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Theres no warning about this quest saying you need to go to Moonstone mask, we should be sent tehre after talking with Knox or Neverember as usual, from there was OK but (idk if i should say this here) there's no warning between quests to open the campaing window a new player will get lost...

So far really nice quest line and instances... tks !!!!
  • shah102shah102 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    - little character skills
    - gifts are useless, in the old campaigns they had a "personality" associated with the passage of the campaign itself
    - transformation of the game with complex mechanics into one-button, where the skills on the panel only change the animation of what is happening on the screen
    - the difference between the new player and the veteran is almost erased. A new player gets everything so quickly that he does not have time to figure out how it works.

+ like companions system, the return of runestones and equipment companions
    + upgrade system signs of horses
    + new campaign without annoying knocking out the weekly limit

after 5 days after the launch of the test server, most players consider the chosen direction as wrong, and they will not play “it”, this is a trend not only of our guild

hello from ru-community!
    Post edited by shah102 on
  • aimsiesaimsies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    The first 5-10 minutes on preview were overwhelming with the new changes, but the first 1-2 minutes was just watching the screen update for all the companion collections, resetting outdated quests, and then auto-granting the YP quest line.

I think the quest for Yawning Portal should NOT be auto-granted. It caused some confusion as previously for new zones you would talk to Knox or Neverember and they direct you where to go, and this one just sort of showed up. Because of all the expired/re-starts I looked at my quest journal to figure out where to go. My suggestion is to maybe have it be started by talking to Neverember and have him direct to you to meet him in the Moonstone Mask and go from there. In this way, people who aren't quite ready can choose to not have the quest yet and just see the exclamation in PE to remind them "When you're ready I can give you a new quest."

Other than that, I really didn't have any issues just getting in and getting started. I liked the notification that the character powers are in an invalid state so you know you have to re-pick your powers and feats. After having played for a few hours, I still haven't put it all the points and have had no issues with actually playing through the early zones of YP or completing previous zones like Chult or Barovia (trying not to use things I know are broken like artifacts and certain companions).
    aimsies said:

The first 5-10 minutes on preview were overwhelming with the new changes, but the first 1-2 minutes was just watching the screen update for all the companion collections, resetting outdated quests, and then auto-granting the YP quest line.

I think the quest for Yawning Portal should NOT be auto-granted. It caused some confusion as previously for new zones you would talk to Knox or Neverember and they direct you where to go, and this one just sort of showed up. Because of all the expired/re-starts I looked at my quest journal to figure out where to go. My suggestion is to maybe have it be started by talking to Neverember and have him direct to you to meet him in the Moonstone Mask and go from there. In this way, people who aren't quite ready can choose to not have the quest yet and just see the exclamation in PE to remind them "When you're ready I can give you a new quest."

Other than that, I really didn't have any issues just getting in and getting started. I liked the notification that the character powers are in an invalid state so you know you have to re-pick your powers and feats. After having played for a few hours, I still haven't put it all the points and have had no issues with actually playing through the early zones of YP or completing previous zones like Chult or Barovia (trying not to use things I know are broken like artifacts and certain companions).

Thanks for this feedback. We are currently looking to not autogrant the quest.
    Thanks!

• lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User

We are fixing the campaign journal issue- just not up on preview yet- thanks!
    M.K.

Thanks! And yes, I clicked on the chest....
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • tazz4nowtazz4now Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    I have to agree with others above, I went looking for a quest because I didn't see anything about the auto granting and it did take me awhile to figure things out and decide what to do about my overstuffed inventory bags, I am not that far in yet but so far I like it. I do have a few things to report, for now:

(I have no clue how to colorize these items so I hope you see them)

Bugs: 1) (this bug is also present in the mini dungeon in Sharandar "Gnarlroot") When I click "F" to open the chest it freezes my screen and I have to log off and back on, when I get back on all items are in my inventory and the chest is no longer lit..............another thing with this, I can not see the bottom part of the screen when a chest is open (the accept and decline area), I am using a widescreen tv as a monitor)

2) I got the "Vistani Vambraces" instead of any Undermountain arms......this is ok for my character because my current gear was better than the stuff from the chest, but should be fixed, also when I inspected the gear it seemed to me that it looked the same as the Vistani stuff (but I could be wrong) maybe someone else could check on that

3) When you speak to Jarlaxle in the Moonstone, he has 2 options to pick, the 2nd one is supposed to allow you to wait, both options transport you to the next area

4) Just before the 1st "village" I had to walk around for a few minutes after fighting the crabs too get any critters to spawn

I am using my GWF 14k IL on this right now, I also had to run around in circles waiting for the spiders to respawn in order to get the 1st quest done.

Something trivial and maybe it is just me being a blonde sometimes, but even though I got the message about my powers and doing a respec, I still didn't think about my at wills, encounter and dailies being different from "live" so the 1st fight I got into I was scrambling to figure out what I was using as far as power go, maybe a warning before getting off of Jarlaxle's boat that I didn't change anything and didn't pick my level 30 "path" yet???

and last but not least, can you PLEASE EXPLAIN what in the world "combined rating" is for, I am confused on this new thing

Thank you :)

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    tazz4now said:

and last but not least, can you PLEASE EXPLAIN what in the world "combined rating" is for, I am confused on this new thing

The "combined rating" is basically an additional bonus to all the other ratings (defense, deflection etc), but it does not contribute to IL.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    After respeccing what had been an 18+K GF, I went to Dread Ring and had a very tough time killing Red Wizards. Died once.

Edit: Just tried with my GWF--fared much worse.
  • tazz4nowtazz4now Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    @adinosii thank you that was driving me nuts lol
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    The first five minute (plus) were spent looking over my character, re-slotting powers, looking over the feats, checking out what was going on with companions now, selecting new stats, and so on.

I can say that I was underwhelmed by the feat choices that I had, though, and really wish that the powers had more details.

"Magnitude" doesn't really tell me anything.

I'll leave questions about why when I pumped every point that I could into strength for my Paladin (Justicar), getting it up to 19, I still don't see a single percentage point of increased physical damage dealt for another thread.

Regarding what I did once I started playing again?

The mission was in my journal, so I went to talk with Neverember in the Moonstone Mask.

(Also in my journal? Tyranny of Dragons and AI missions that I have already completed and that are not in my journal on live.)

I talked to Neverember, collected and equipped my new gear, and off I went.
    First few encounters were simple enough. Small groups of undead along with a couple of giant crabs. When I got to the camp that I was supposed to clear a path to, I was eventually worn down by wave after wave of undead groups.

Perhaps if I had not been using one of my new companions I would have had a little more healing and been able to pull through, but it was what it was.
    (The companions I had but had not yet activated were bound to me for whatever reason so I figured since it was test anyway I would go ahead and use them and see what they could do.)

Anyway, I released, waited a bit, then went back and finished the undead off (what was left from when I died and one more spawn, I think), and logged at that point.

Still trying to figure out the blocking and divinity mechanics. I need more time to be able to look at what is happening when I block and how much divinity I am using when I activate encounter powers to try and better manage the flow of a fight, never mind whether or not the powers that I am using are the best for what I am trying to accomplish.

After the latest patch, the cutscene showing Rand's team being taken away can no longer be skipped.

The scene is really long and no one with more than one character is going to want to sit through it again.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

(Also in my journal? Tyranny of Dragons and AI missions that I have already completed and that are not in my journal on live.)

Ah, yes...same here....felt a bit silly, considering that I had finished those campaigns a long time ago.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you all for the feedback,

It's been super helpful, and we have been addressing issues that you have posted.

As for getting the Neverember's quest, we are looking into making it more obvious that you have it. Knox will set you on the right course if you visit him (in case you didn't see the new Important Invitation quest).

Early access to Yawning Portal has also been removed to make sure players go through the intro quest to get there.

Cut-Scene skipping is being addressed as well.

If you run through the intro again, we would love to hear your feedback on how it plays.

Thanks again

I ran another character through the intro today. This one is intended to be a storage character though she has done some lower difficulty campaigns for the change of pace. 9k on Dragon 10k on Mimic. The character is a Rogue and I don't think the class is close to being in finished state yet, but I was able to get through without dying though there were some close calls.

I have asked this before and while it's not directly related to the intro, please let us have our portraits back as an option. I seriously find the stripped down HUD to be ugly and want to see my characters, their pets and party members. I find no merit whatsoever in this change.

I assume the fix to the unskippable cutscene hasn't gone through yet as it was still not implemented

Again, I ask to be allowed to either drop the intro quest, not to have it auto start or else at the very least, allow us to talk to Neverember and then proceed no further. While I understand the desire to spread the word of the new content, it shouldn't be mandatory to run the gauntlet to get to the tavern just to free up our quest journals on every character.

Please allow us to leave the meeting with Neverember without taking the contents of the chest. My banker character has a mix of Barovian and Omuan gear and there was nothing in the chest I wanted. At the very least remove the 'Discard Protection' from those fake artifacts.

• ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    pitshade said:

I ran another character through the intro today. This one is intended to be a storage character though she has done some lower difficulty campaigns for the change of pace. 9k on Dragon 10k on Mimic. The character is a Rogue and I don't think the class is close to being in finished state yet, but I was able to get through without dying though there were some close calls.

I have asked this before and while it's not directly related to the intro, please let us have our portraits back as an option. I seriously find the stripped down HUD to be ugly and want to see my characters, their pets and party members. I find no merit whatsoever in this change.

I assume the fix to the unskippable cutscene hasn't gone through yet as it was still not implemented

Again, I ask to be allowed to either drop the intro quest, not to have it auto start or else at the very least, allow us to talk to Neverember and then proceed no further. While I understand the desire to spread the word of the new content, it shouldn't be mandatory to run the gauntlet to get to the tavern just to free up our quest journals on every character.

Please allow us to leave the meeting with Neverember without taking the contents of the chest. My banker character has a mix of Barovian and Omuan gear and there was nothing in the chest I wanted. At the very least remove the 'Discard Protection' from those fake artifacts.

Thanks for running thru and sending out your thoughts.

How players get the intro quest is changing and I think we will all be happier.

We are looking into your other points.
  • kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I would really prefer to see the new gear in a package like Barovia. Bag space was already at a premium with everything being thrown off my companion and stuff. I did not have space for an entire set of gear. My main wouldn't be a problem, but I didn't bag out my alts.