test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will the new enemy scaling revive Dragonflight?

Dragonflight stopped being a challenge years ago when everyone is too overpowered and kills dragons in seconds, defeating the purporse of Dragonflight. Will the new enemy scaling in mod 16 bring back Dragonflight as a challenge that lasts a while?

Comments

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Difficulty is hardly the issue. Dragonflight doesn't give anything worthwhile, and as long as that stays the same, nothing will revive it.
    FrozenFire
  • tigersclaw#7201 tigersclaw Member Posts: 78 Arc User

Difficulty is hardly the issue. Dragonflight doesn't give anything worthwhile, and as long as that stays the same, nothing will revive it.

It's not about the rewards or difficulty. It's about having a challenge which is the whole point of a game. Also, dragonflight can be interesting in social terms because people get together to accomplish a group goal and interact with each other. Replacing the Dragonflight rewards for more modern and worthwhile rewards is very easy and quick for the devs. The big question is if the mod 16 scaling will scale the dragon's HP and how much damage all players do to give players a challenging experience that lasts a while and brings back that needed sense of eminent death and danger.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    tigernuno said:

It's not about the rewards or difficulty. It's about having a challenge which is the whole point of a game. Also, dragonflight can be interesting in social terms because people get together to accomplish a group goal and interact with each other. Replacing the Dragonflight rewards for more modern and worthwhile rewards is very easy and quick for the devs. The big question is if the mod 16 scaling will scale the dragon's HP and how much damage all players do to give players a challenging experience that lasts a while and brings back that needed sense of eminent death and danger.
    You can say all that, but if we're being practical, nobody would play it without getting any benefits more than a couple time (and most people already did it NUMEROUS times). Something can be amusing/interesting for only so long.
    FrozenFire

You can say all that, but if we're being practical, nobody would play it without getting any benefits more than a couple time (and most people already did it NUMEROUS times). Something can be amusing/interesting for only so long.

I'll just leave here some wise words by a wise man:

“Its the not the Destination, It's the journey.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

As for the rewards, as I said, that is a non issue. Very easy and quick for the devs to just replace them for something more current and useful like AD and other stuff. They have done this recently to many existing dungeons, replaced the rewards at the end for newer rewards like for example the recent addition of AD as a reward in chests.

The more complicated issue is adjusting the dragonflight to give players a challenge in mod 16, that needed sense of danger and eminent death. Too many elitist kids nowadays want it easy, no challenge, want to press 1 button and skip all the game, not even play. However, me and some other people still appreciate a challenge, that is the whole point of a game.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Agree 100% - however, there is one change which actually might make it useful - tie the Dragonflight into the new Challenge Campaign system. Specifically, have Dragonflight give you campaign currency for the campaign you have selected as your Bonus Campaign. That would make this content relevant again.

Hoping for improvements...
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Belive me or not my guild and entire alliance do dragonflights every day - 2-3 strongholds in a row - its a tradition and it has real social value for us - not to mention that it really brings some resources for our alliance lesser guilds.
    Sure you could get a better rewards and if what @adinosii stated above will remain in game - thats gone be a perfect refit for that event
    adinosii said:

Agree 100% - however, there is one change which actually might make it useful - tie the Dragonflight into the new Challenge Campaign system. Specifically, have Dragonflight give you campaign currency for the campaign you have selected as your Bonus Campaign. That would make this content relevant again.

In case you missed it, that is an example of an update to rewards like what I suggested.

• alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    Our alliance would love to do Dragonflight again, regardless of whether the challenge is tweaked, if the rewards were worth it. The previous Siege event showed how this works - give us good rewards and we will come together. I would love to see the Siege rewards be Dragonflight rewards. Dragonflight was fun, regardless of ease, and a great way to bring Guilds together.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
    gripnir78 said:

its a tradition and it has real social value for us

Dragonflight was fun, regardless of ease, and a great way to bring Guilds together.

Exactly, I agree with both. That's what I said before, it's great in the social aspect because it brings guild people together for a common goal and it allows social interactions, or even getting to know new members, show them around. Hence why I would like the new mod to revive Dragonflight by using the new scaling to make dragons a challenge again. Killing them in a few seconds is nonsense, no challenge.