test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another round of strange difficulty spikes

bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
I am a Max Level Control wizard but i am falling in one hit on missions that are 10 levels bellow me, is this a bug or is this a way of discouraging solo-players? A bunch of the Level 60 Missions like Riverdistrict and the RA Salavatore written quest string sees me falling in a single hit to minion foes like imps. My gear is pretty decent but i will go from full health to dead even after surviving blows from larger enemies and healing up.
Is this working as intended or is something amiss?
Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.

Comments

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I haven't witnessed any strangeness like this, but I can't disprove it, either.

My first thought is that we won't know if this is WAI unless we know what kind of gear you're using and what your power tray looks like.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    River District? That isn't level 60.

Knowing what gear you have would definitely be the first step. Most HP come from gear so that is a likely avenue to explore, HP being the primary passive defense for CW.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    My item Level is 4,500 which i am told is woefully low by other sources, guess it is back to the grind.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
    bpstuart said:

My item Level is 4,500 which i am told is woefully low by other sources, guess it is back to the grind.

Yes, that is fresh lvl 70 item level.

Among other methods, you can start to make life easier by participating in your guild's Dragonflight events for quick Seals of the Brave for equipment. Really, anything that gets you Seals of the Brave will make a dramatic difference and let you be more comfortable in typical 70 content.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    These days plenty of people recommend the barovia intro for the freebies.
    Sealwear really will make a big difference, so will filling your enchantment slots and working on refining them toward level 7s. Picking up boons and getting some AD in the bank along the way will help.

If you're heading back to the grind, try Sharandar first, then Dread Ring, Elemental Evil, then Underdark (Salvatore)
    After that the difficulty ratchets up in Well of Dragons and Icewind Dale
    After that point the River District (Cloaked Ascendancy, not Chult) should feel more comfortable.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    bpstuart said:

go to barovia you'll get gear that will put you at 8500 immediately

bpstuart said:

go to barovia you'll get gear that will put you at 8500 immediately
    This is a good point - do the intro quest, but don't stick around after if you find it too challenging. There are other campaigns that are friendlier to new 70s and will take less time to complete.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I have a simple question, I know this game doesnt have any clear set of directions and once you "open" up a area, you can actually get into it.. but still, what made you decide to tackle river district? There isnt intrinsiclly anything there that is great..

I would start in this order atm..

Group 1
    Sharandar (by far the easiest as mobs are under 70)
    Dread Ring
    AI
    Elemental Evil
    Tyranny
    Ice Wind Dale

Then Group 2
    Underdark
    Storm Kings Thunger
    River District

Then Group 3
    Chult/Omu
    Ravenloft

While you can probably get away with underdark a bit earlier and group it into group 1 if you want.. it is time consuming to try to get through them all at once.. I only say group 2 because the last weekly that gives the AD, is actually fairly tough for a newbie.

Do what others suggested get the Bavarion gear for free.. with all the r8s on. Then run your daily leveling dungeon, do the weeklies in Sharandar and Dread Ring ..

You can get some really cheap +1 masterwork blue gear as well for offslots, while its no where near BIS per se, they are actually fairly decent for stuff under 10k ad.. you can get a neck/belt/rings for like 60k or so.. or like half a days grinding.. it will help you catch up a bit.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    bpstuart said:

If you are a fresh 70 get the quest to start Barovia. That should help you out as that is 460 gear with R8 enchantments. After you get this gear, look up a guide as to what gear you can get from Barovia hunts as that is very easy to acquire with a group. Than join a hunt group and offer to place said posters. This will help you get the proper gear from Barovia. The rest of the gear you will need will come from Chult and that should be easier after you acquire the gear from Barovia.

Once you have the proper gear, than start working on your campaign.

The other thing is your companions. Are you running any of the good companions and are you using bonding. As for IL 4500; that is way to low, you should be around 6500+ just from Elemental Evil. But as others have stated your IL will be around 8500 from going to Barovia.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    You can easily attain 13K IL with less than a month of grind.

But all of that is questionable now when new system is on the horizon.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Don't forget the big change to IL in the game. Each 50 stat points grants 1 item level. I'm sure next mod we are all nerfed. :)
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User

Don't forget the big change to IL in the game. Each 50 stat points grants 1 item level. I'm sure next mod we are all nerfed. :)
    Well, nerfed = less powerful. It's about being less powerful than the easy, unchallenging, boring content we currently have.

I personally look forward to a mod 16 all-around nerf, balanced across the classes ;)
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Well, nerfed = less powerful. It's about being less powerful than the easy, unchallenging, boring content we currently have.

I personally look forward to a mod 16 all-around nerf, balanced across the classes ;)
    @lukejones77 I am as well. We may argue about a lot of stuff but imo this is a change the game needed.
  • > @bpstuart said:
    > I am a Max Level Control wizard but i am falling in one hit on missions that are 10 levels bellow me, is this a bug or is this a way of discouraging solo-players? A bunch of the Level 60 Missions like Riverdistrict and the RA Salavatore written quest string sees me falling in a single hit to minion foes like imps. My gear is pretty decent but i will go from full health to dead even after surviving blows from larger enemies and healing up.
    > Is this working as intended or is something amiss?

In current builds people are not speccing as defensive builds. You can successfully control enemies and freeze them with some points in the top paragon path. Use Conduit of Ice and Icy Terrain to stack chill and freeze mobs. Also look into a rank 10 Barkshield armor enchantment.