test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thanks PWI (neverwinter) again for shafting the SOLO players

lordwinoslordwinos Member Posts: 35 Arc User
thank you for the ACC. INC k-dungeons ---since a solo player can't play them we can't obtain the armor -----
I will NOT be forced to play private dungeons because you seem to resent solo players.
I'm a lv 12 VIP but it seems to me I have WASTED my money on this game since some content is locked away from solo players.
I had intended on continuing to pay 10.00 monthly for vip and buying the occasional item, but it seem I must re-think that as I resent being shafted by not wanting to be forced to play with others.
Thanks one more time PWI (neverwinter)
maybe solo players need a UNION
so NEW Players beware on spending if you intend to SOLO everything

Comments

• tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    > @lordwinos said:
    > thank you for the ACC. INC k-dungeons ---since a solo player can't play them we can't obtain the armor -----
    > I will NOT be forced to play private dungeons because you seem to resent solo players.
    > I'm a lv 12 VIP but it seems to me I have WASTED my money on this game since some content is locked away from solo players.
    > I had intended on continuing to pay 10.00 monthly for vip and buying the occasional item, but it seem I must re-think that as I resent being shafted by not wanting to be forced to play with others.
    > Thanks one more time PWI (neverwinter)
    > maybe solo players need a UNION
    > so NEW Players beware on spending if you intend to SOLO everything

Yep u have to reconsider playing NW. Its a MMO, thus not ment to be played solo all the way. If thats not to your liking go for a single player game
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Personally I love these K-team dungeons.

It forces players to play their character role in a vanilla setup, it teaches them again the long forgotten mechanics of each dungeon.
    And secondly it makes players aware of the fact that high Item level does not equal experience and knowledge...

I always say to group before entering a K-team dungeon that they must not play the Hero, that's my task (as being a puny OP)
    cough, cough.
    Feel free to ask for my tank / heal capabilities in game.

Ogguk
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • fieryapostlefieryapostle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I virtually NEVER respond to forum threads, so I'm not sure what I'm doing here now. But I feel compelled to say that I've been seeing posts like this since way back in the day when I played Everquest, long, long ago.

I happily solo MMOs, knowing there will be limitations to my access to content and gear. That's the way it is. Always, in my experience. If you can't accept it, then go find another game, as so many have suggested, over the years. This game is fun for me as it is, so I'm not ready to leave.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Always cracks me up when non-solo players sound off on threads about playing solo.

As @fieryapostle pointed out, you can still play solo. Not like there's a whole lot a solo player needs from coop in order to continue playing solo. Sometimes it's regrettable that certain content is essentially off the table for us, but most of the time, we're really not missing all that much. Ultimately, it's hardly fair to blame the developers of an mmo for designing content that's primarily aimed at multiplayer, but I think it's good to see things from another perspective - such as the one you shared.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    The best gear in mmorpgs is usually hidden behind the hardest content, which require a group or even a raid.

NW actually is kinder than most mmorpgs as you can obtain very good gear just from solo or low-end dungeon play.

It really should not be a surprise to you that the best gear is gated behind group content, in that case your mmorpg education is somewhat lacking still :)
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    @lordwinos, If you're not willing to accept some of the limitations on soloing (good/decent gear obtainable vice great gear from cooperative play), I'd recommend the following:

1. Expand that friend's list and/or find a solid guild - These friends may have friends and guild mates that might help you round out a party or bring you along for the fun. They might even invite you to join, if you can stomach that.
    2. PUGs or premades through LFG - Need to accept potential higher rates of failure, or being rejected outright or being kicked. Just the nature of things. If you succeed though, you'll get the currency you need. OR
    3. Wait it out until the seal currency is changed again - You might want to consider (if the current gear in question is BiS for your class and may remain that way a mod or two down the road) is simply waiting until Cryptic switches the seal currency again.

If you want to remain solo and not have anything to do with socializing, you can either open your wallet and purchase what you can off the AH or...start hunting. Some gear might be BiS for your build, others may simply be a decent alternative to BiS gear you may only be able to pick up teaming up. All of the hunt gear will allow you to solo all the non-group content. The hunts (in spite of some of their problems) can be a soloist's friend in obtaining decent gear for endgame play. I hope they continue that trend into Mod 16 and beyond.

If neither of those options are appealing then this game (and MMOs in general) is NOT for you and you probably should pursue other games. My two coppers.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    Although I don't think specific dungeon runs like K-Team need to have solo abilities added, I would not mind if the game allowed me to summon more companions then one and let me form my own party for solo content. I mean its my solo'ing game, why does anyone else care how I do it. And let me do the same for regular dungeon runs as well. Kinda like how Baulder's Gate let you form your own party.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Wouldn't mind an option for zone mobs to scale to my ilvl. Would make previous zones like sharandar feel refreshing to see em remotely threatening again.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    So, you're upset that the very best gear (well, ok, it's not, but it's highest ilevel) is only obtainable by doing the very hardest content? Were you this upset by Castle Ravenloft, too? Assault on Svardborg? Tiamat?

Because let's be honest - at about 13-14k ilevel, you can pretty much handle all the solo content in the game, negating the need for anything beyond that (other than digital scoring). You want to solo? That's fine. There is plenty of gear out there that is well beyond acceptable for you, and in a lot of cases, is BiS. For those running stuff that requires more teamwork, coordination, and strategy - yes, they get more, because there are more moving parts, and a higher risk of failure. That's their reward for putting in the time, and risking failure (along with 4-9 others).

When you solo, you only have to worry about you. In a group, you're putting yourself at the mercy of the abilities of your groupmates, too. It's not like the reward is that much greater than what you can get, so, as the saying goes, "Lighten Up, Francis" ;-)
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    lordwinos said:

thank you for the ACC. INC k-dungeons ---since a solo player can't play them we can't obtain the armor -----
    I will NOT be forced to play private dungeons because you seem to resent solo players.
    I'm a lv 12 VIP but it seems to me I have WASTED my money on this game since some content is locked away from solo players.
    I had intended on continuing to pay 10.00 monthly for vip and buying the occasional item, but it seem I must re-think that as I resent being shafted by not wanting to be forced to play with others.
    Thanks one more time PWI (neverwinter)
    maybe solo players need a UNION
    so NEW Players beware on spending if you intend to SOLO everything

If its not trolling level master....then:

There was a lot of content before AI you couldnt do alone (ex. Tiamat, Castle ravenloft etc.)
    Funny but back then you did not complained. Why now?
    Ahh a new highest IL gear. If thats the case I will tell you that there is plenty other items gated with team play, and many others items (sometimes really BIS) witch are not.

Well I really cant understand that there are people who join MMO game and they expect all content that game provides will be soloable, or always easy to get no matter if you play 5 mins or 5 years.
    How, being a resonable honest person you can even blame a game that it give a chance for better rewards for a players who NEED TO find a team, work together, and have some skills to finish a hard content. How would any1 even think about joining teams if everything would drop from solo play? You woudnt need any1 else and that game could be single player game.... BUT ITS NOT

And dont blame PWI here - its MMO game with "mulitiplayer" firmly in mind.
    So..... well, yeah, dont waste any more money here -there was, there is and there will be a content gated with team play - thats a nature of such games.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    And lets be honest: The 4 pieces of armor are in no way very important to a character. The difference between the best and the not-so-best-but-available armor pieces is maybe 400 IL total. That will be hardly noticeable at all.

If you struggle to raise your IL, you really need to look at other places like enchantments, companions, mounts and insignias and campaign boons. That is where most of the IL comes from.

If you want to run solo and have BiS gear.. sorry, then this is not the game for you.
  • darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    My only issue (and I could be wrong on this), is that the K-team run has to be done in a private queue.
    It would be nice to allow it to be queued as a PUG run(not saying that would be fun, certainly challenging).

As I hate forming groups and usually just queue intoeveruthing.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I think what the OP is complaining about is that you have to form a *pre-made party* to do K-Team, not that they have a problem with playing any and all multiplayer content. There is an extra layer of effort and difficulty for some between being able to queue up solo and get grouped with others vs. having to manually form/join a group yourself. It may seem like an invisible line to some, but it is a bright and uncomfortable line to others. I've found myself multiple times over the years staring at the blinking cursor in the LFG channel for 5/10/20 minutes before just closing the game and doing something else instead. For some of us, the struggle is real.

---

In the beginning, this was a very solo-friendly game. Aside from it being D&D, that's the #1 reason I started playing it. However, it hasn't been solo-friendly for a very long time. I wouldn't recommend spending money on this game to ANY solo player.

The introduction of Strongholds was the beginning of the end. I'd spent a few hundred dollars on this game up until then, haven't spent a dime since. I considered it the company's letter of intent that "they don't take kindly to my kind" anymore, and I was right. Between boons and drains, PvP was the first to fall out of reach. In PvE, things were ok-ish up to Mod 10, but that more or less marked the end of pug-queueing for the latest content. Harder and harder dungeons have made it mandatory to pre-make meta parties to have a decent chance. K-Team dungeons now make this a mechanical requirement to even get the game to let you in the door unless you want to try and solo the dungeon with one gimped character.

I used to think the biggest problem of the stronghold/alliance system was the boons, but that's only half of it. The other big problem for solo-players is that it emptied out pug queues and LFG into a ton of smaller groups that you had to be a member of to access. Between guilds, alliances, and the 15K+ elite channels, there are not nearly as many people left for the rest of us to run with.

On top of all that, between Mod 15's self-parody of the game, slavery to the meta, and the smug denigration by elites of anyone who doesn't play their way, it's really killed my enthusiasm for this game. I've been doing little more than collecting my VIP keys for the last few months. I wasn't even able to bring myself to finish the boons from the last campaign. Instead, I've been playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper on my PC w/Bluestacks, and even though it's a freemium gacha mobile game, I find it more fun and fulfilling than I've found NW to be in quite a long time.

How the mighty have fallen. (Whether that applies to Cryptic, me, or both, I'm still not quite sure.)
    @pterias you cant blame MMO game for focusing on multiplayer content. Sure its better if it has some offer for solo players, but at the end we all join such games to play with or against others. Guilds/alliances exist in all decent MMOs - all of those make life easier for a player within their structures. And to be honest most of the time its more than special gear or bonuses but actually its man around you in a guild ready to offer a guide or helping heand. Entire human civilization was build on that simple principle - united we can do more than alone.

Sure I understand that thare are people like you or lordwinos who prefere to play without any commitment or dependency to the others, but those have to agree that this specific kind of games is not, and wont be friendly for them.

BTW there was a guild called "Solo Alliance" - I guess.... that guild was recruiting players who love solo playing and given them a chance to get boons etc without any demands or real commitment. Yeah I know - its far from perfect as you have to join such guild, but who knows - maybe it works as safe heaven for solo players
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The OP's post is confusing, because it does not seem the complaint is directed at the difficulties a SOLO player would normally have.

There are different kinds of SOLO players:
    1. SOLO players who refuse to talk in chat, join any channel other than standard, build friend lists, or join guilds for society and cooperation
    2. SOLO players who refuse to do any content in a group
    3. SOLO players who are both 1 and 2 and expect game content to be designed for them in an MMO

The problem with K-team, as has been pointed out by groups that have run it and completed it with less than 5 players, is that the group does not receive the IOU reward unless you have 5 players. Therefore, even if a SOLO player ever is geared sufficiently (gearing does not equal TIL reduction) to run a SOLO K team (like say Tuern), that SOLO player will NEVER get the IOU reward. In this sense, K Team rewards will always be locked out as content. However, the experience of a SOLO K team is not locked out. So, a SOLO player must either compromise on option 2 or 3 and give a + in lfg, or just try K team solo with no expectation of rewards. But, if a pure SOLO experience is wanted, then Neverwinter (and most MMOs) are historically not for that player.
    Post edited by checkmatein3 on
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I know how weird it may seem to some that anyone would want to solo an explicitly multiplayer game. I still can't help but get my nerves tweaked though when told that people like us don't belong here. I get the sentiment and don't think ill of those expressing it, but it still irks me.

The only reason I even care though is because this game started out about as perfect as an MMO could be for solo players. I'm hard pressed to imagine better. On top of that, it was like that for over 2 years. That's proof that it can be done and be viable. Then it all suddenly started changing away from that in pretty aggressive ways.

In a very real way it feels like I haven't been leaving Neverwinter, Neverwinter has been leaving me. If I had come around 2-3+ years later, I would have probably never started. The only thread of hope I still have is that they'll eventually implement some kind of solo boons to partially/mostly replace guild boons, but the longer time goes on I fear it will just be a day late and dollar short for me. The ship has lifted anchor and is beginning to leave port.

But yeah, I won't be making this mistake again. This is my last MMO. About the only thing that could tempt me would be a F2P StarCraft MMO, but that seems extremely unlikely to happen, and hopefully I'd be strong enough to stay away if it did.

Moderator removed comment discussing moderation.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    Hey @pterias never said you dont belong here..far from it.... for me every palayer no matter his story makes a background for me..so all are important.. all I am saying is that due to specific of such games you have hard time here and that wont change...
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    pterias said:

I know how weird it may seem to some that anyone would want to solo an explicitly multiplayer game... I won't be making this mistake again. This is my last MMO...

That's a shame, but I get it. I still have a few story lines to explore, but after that, I'm not sure what's left to hang around for. I've got five other characters that could continue on, but there's little reason to considering everything you pointed out. Intentionally or not, there's a lot of content that's off the table for solo players - or at least prohibitive. I don't mind missing out on content with rewards - that I understand completely - but missing out on storyline outright sucks.

I also stay away from MMOs out of principle, but I've enjoyed playing Neverwinter. I'm sure I'm not the only solo player that actually likes the way it's populated with other players. It's fun to see people going about their business and even allows for some nice interactions - helping out passersby or even occasionally getting help in turn, pitching in on a heroic, and every now and then running a cta with a decent group of human beings. There are negative situations too, of course: troll pits like the dungeons, skirmishes, and queue events, but I pretty much expect that from MMOs.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Personally I find some folks definition of MMO to be quite different than how I define it. MMO does have the word multiplayer in it yes and the interpretation of that word is where I disagree with some here. MMO: Massive, Multiplayer (forced grouping), Online game is how some folks see it. I see it as the following MMO: Massive, Multiplayer (you will see other players from all over the world as you play the game.), Online game. Both are easy to monetize, just depends on the direction Developers decide to go. Game has changed very much from the first couple of years. Smaller population as well.

Cirran
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It should be a recognizable fact that different players have different play preferences, some are OK with playing in a random Pick Up Group (PUG) – while some prefer playing solo…

Yes Neverwinter is a MMO, but considering much of the game content pre-level 70 and some of the post level 70 content is accessible to solo preference players it seems a bit misguided to claim that just because Neverwinter is a MMO, all or even the majority of latter game content should be centered around group/party/or guild assemblies in order to participate. Such a premise will eventually eliminate a great many players who prefer to play solo and I suspect there are a lot more solo preference players in Neverwinter than there are players who prefer to primarily play in group related content aside from the occasional dungeon or skirmish run.

Pretty much as @cirran1 already pointed out...

But it is Cryptic and Neverwinter’s content and players will either remain and play in the content afforded them – or they will move on to another game that seems to be more friendly to the individual play styles people prefer.

Speaking strictly from personal experience, given real world obligations not only for myself but many of the people I usually game with it is extraordinarily difficult to find a day or time when a bunch of players I know and prefer to game with can get together for a lot of the content that requires a group effort and as most of us have observed from multiple posts on the forum, random PUG's often lead to dissension when it comes to game individual player motivation and play styles, sometimes to the point of players just deciding to abandon Neverwinter because of the lack of solo friendly content after level 70 and the often contentious nature of having to play in random PUG groups. I am aware of this being exactly the case for several of the people who I knew and used to play Neverwinter with.

My 2¢
    DD~