test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updated System Requirements Implementation

13»

Comments

• jarnel2774jarnel2774 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have literally been disconnected from the game in 100% of my CN runs since the 25/05/17 even on my new alienware 15 laptop with a window 10 OS and an NVidia GeForce 970m. if this does not clearly illustrate that its a problem that cryptic have introduced the I don't know what will
  • supershtickeysupershtickey Member Posts: 8 Arc User

Adventurers,

As we announced in December, starting Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 (after maintenance) Neverwinter will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

If your system meets the requirements but you are still experiencing issues when using D3D11, please contact support -referencing this post- and provide the following information:

• System Info (OS, D3D Version, graphic card)
    • Gameprefs.Pref file (Can be found in Neverwinter\localdata on your computer)
    • Dxdiag (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/b319762b-f281-41b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe)
    • Description of what you are experiencing

Please note that submitting this information to CS will allow us to best gather the necessary data regarding any new issues and is not meant to be for direct troubleshooting support.

As a reminder, Neverwinter has never officially supported Mac or Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Neverwinter, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

While transitioning is great and all... Yall are forgetting something I rarely see anybody complain about and as a PC/Mac builder and support tech myself deal with daily. Fix the darn sound engine as well the sound files are far greater in size while decompressed and running through a CPU than any graphics files. When I am tuning a PC for a peculiarly laggy game I find that tweaking the graphiccs only helps about 30% of the time and then tweaking the sound setting finished killing the lag. Think about it there are only around say 20 - 30 file formats and ways of compressing and decompressing sound files where as there are limitless way to compress and decompress data files used in creating graphics. So I plead to Arc and Cryptic to find a way to better manage the sound files. I like the improvement in STO however I run an older system and dont have the budget to buy the spendy computers most gaming companies try to force us to upgrade to. I have an AMD dual core CPU and Readon R5 Vid card and play The Crew Ultimate with no lag. I had to tweak the sound setting the most to kill the lag.
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    That's a shame...

I understand that game development costs money and removing certain hardware/software might shave off some of the costs of maintaining things. But are the savings worth alienating loyal gamers who might not be able to ditch an old computer for a new one?

Nevermind the fact that for many folks, things are economically tight right now... Things are tight. The Internet is in itself an expensive (over-priced) luxury that may have to be dropped by some people. But if you are a parent, do you honestly think any sane parent is willing to replace a functioning computer with a more expensive new computer just so their kid can play your video game?

I'm sorry. That's not going to happen.

Now, as for OS X and Linux (Wine) users... many gamers are fed up with Windows and are making the switch. Some game developers have taken notice and are responding to this exodus by making OS X/Linux-friendly ports. Gog.com is bending backwards to patch games so they can run natively on Linux. Steam went even farther by making SteamOS. If Cryptic is smart... you'll release Neverwinter for OS X/Linux. All you have to lose is: "not having the business of OS X/Linux gamers".

More platforms = more players. More players = more revenue.

Side note: Nintendo Switch could use a little love from Neverwinter, too.

To quote Treebeard: "Don't be hasty..."
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

jim5769 said:

Adventurers,

As we announced in December, starting Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 (after maintenance) Neverwinter will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

If your system meets the requirements but you are still experiencing issues when using D3D11, please contact support -referencing this post- and provide the following information:

• System Info (OS, D3D Version, graphic card)
    • Gameprefs.Pref file (Can be found in Neverwinter\localdata on your computer)
    • Dxdiag (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/b319762b-f281-41b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe)
    • Description of what you are experiencing

Please note that submitting this information to CS will allow us to best gather the necessary data regarding any new issues and is not meant to be for direct troubleshooting support.

As a reminder, Neverwinter has never officially supported Mac or Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Neverwinter, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

While transitioning is great and all... Yall are forgetting something I rarely see anybody complain about and as a PC/Mac builder and support tech myself deal with daily. Fix the darn sound engine as well the sound files are far greater in size while decompressed and running through a CPU than any graphics files. When I am tuning a PC for a peculiarly laggy game I find that tweaking the graphiccs only helps about 30% of the time and then tweaking the sound setting finished killing the lag. Think about it there are only around say 20 - 30 file formats and ways of compressing and decompressing sound files where as there are limitless way to compress and decompress data files used in creating graphics. So I plead to Arc and Cryptic to find a way to better manage the sound files. I like the improvement in STO however I run an older system and dont have the budget to buy the spendy computers most gaming companies try to force us to upgrade to. I have an AMD dual core CPU and Readon R5 Vid card and play The Crew Ultimate with no lag. I had to tweak the sound setting the most to kill the lag.
    Well...here we are now in March 2018 and the problems with Cryptic's 3D11 *STILL* have not been fixed. The game still freezes or causes fatal errors if I put the graphics settings raised above low--and that is with a Radeon R9 Fury card. This is ridiculous.
    That's really weird, cause my R7 250 handles the game without crashing.
    RX 570, works just fine. It could be that he has a terrible PSU that can't handle Fury at higher loads.
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    If all else fails, make Neverwinter available on Gog.com and let the Gog team have the freedom to make their own patchs for the game. If it works, Neverwinter will happily run on older PC hardware, OS X and Linux.

For the record: I love Neverwinter and I want to continue playing Neverwinter without giving up my PC account for a console account. However, I absolutely hate Windows and I plan to ditch Windows for Linux Mint. Please consider letting Gog.com work on an OS X/Linux port of Neverwinter.

PC Gamers will love you for it!
  • metalsabrwolfmetalsabrwolf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 59 Arc User
    Neverwinter will run on linux with the new steam play from valve with proton ableit you may have to work on your mouse polling to deal with mouse look issues but it will run fine that way ofc that is with more modern hardware. I currently am running neverwinter via the steam play with proton and fixed my gaming mouse issues to have a nice experience. i run a ryzen system with 16 gig ram with a 1050ti currently on manjaro linux. =)
  • wintermute#0867 wintermute Member Posts: 19 Arc User

you may have to work on your mouse polling to deal with mouse look issues

Can you link to any specific reference for this? The mouse look issue is the only thing that bugs me about playing on Linux.

• for me only 2 days of either freeze screen or disconnect run all my work stuff behind game never had any probs but hoping you guys can sort this fingers are crossed good luck with sorting it all out
  • djaha100djaha100 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    have you guys tried to run it x86 = 32bit executable
    I haven't seen any option in the launcher to change it from x64 to x86 so
    i tried renaming the Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\x64 folder
    to Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\x64_bak
    and the Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\x86 folder
    to Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\x64
    after that launched the game normaly and it worked, the game runs smoother on x86