test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buff Bar

I have been playing this game on Xbox for over a year now. I am wondering if there are any other people wanting a full buff bar under the health bar instead of just a few major buffs. I have seen that the pc gamers have this option so they can see what buffs they are under at any given time.

Comments

• kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Just a toggle so we can please!
    It’s a buff/debuff world and we’re practically flying blind over here
  • cerickson187cerickson187 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I agree back when the game first launched we had a full buff bar and bosses had a full debuff. I would like the ability to have multiple rows of buffs below my characters name.
  • aryasvitskona21aryasvitskona21 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I watch a lot of pc gamers on how they run their builds and they can do exploits with some characters that we cant do on console (i.e hunters split strike jump to quickly get behind a boss). Because of that we have to tweak the rotations just right to make sure that we have the full personal buffs active for our most damaging attack let alone the buffs from any one else.
    It is kinda messed up that it’s such a huge part of the game and we’re flying blind..I’d taken some time off when returning didn’t group much..cause I’m a cw...now that I’m trying it’s noticabke sometimes I’m doing ok, others much less so..a buff bar would make figuring out what missing much easier

(Can’t believe we are actually having this conversation)
  • aryasvitskona21aryasvitskona21 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Even if we can get a toggle so if we want to have it we can like seeing the party's health bar would be great. There is some buffs that have visual cues that they are up and running such as dc's anointed army so if you dont see the circles any more you dont have that buff. Whereas there is some buffs that are only up for so long and there is no visual cue for when it stops like my hr longstrider shot. The only visual is when it is first popped and then it slowly diminishes in 4 sec. A buff bar would certainly help with powers and aspects such as this.
  • scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer
    Your feedback is heard. I play a lot on Xbox and I run into these same frustrations. There absolutely needs to be a way for players to see the full list of buffs or debuffs on them. It's something for which we need a good solution because allowing the icons to run rampant across the screen isn't an experience we want players to have. Even on PC, it can get pretty bad. I don't have any solutions to share in the short term but we're looking into ways we can address this. Feel free to make suggestions.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    scarabman said:

Your feedback is heard. I play a lot on Xbox and I run into these same frustrations. There absolutely needs to be a way for players to see the full list of buffs or debuffs on them. It's something for which we need a good solution because allowing the icons to run rampant across the screen isn't an experience we want players to have. Even on PC, it can get pretty bad. I don't have any solutions to share in the short term but we're looking into ways we can address this. Feel free to make suggestions.

@scarabman Thank you for acknowledging this issue, it's a huge frustration for me.

A cap makes sense to a certain extent, but there needs to be significant changes to the ordering of the buffs if a cap exists.

First off extend the cap quite a bit, 5 is ridiculously small.

Right now too screen space are eaten up by buffs that are "always up" or unimportant. This includes VIP, Paladin auras, campfire buff, useless boon procs, ect... These should almost never show up in the buff bar unless you have no other buffs active.

High duration or high visibility buffs should have low precedence in the buff list. Things like Hallowed Ground, Anointed Army, Pillar of Power have very easy to see visual indicators and so don't need to be listed in the buff list to tell that they're up.

However, things like Controlled Momentum, Forge-master's Flame/Break the Spirit, Into the Frey, Longstrider's Shot, and Commander's Strike are all examples of low duration or hard to see buffs that should take high precedence in the buff list.

This would obviously take some revision over time to get right, but it's way better than just seeing VIP and paladin auras all the time.

Most importantly of all though, even if they arn't shown on screen, we need a way to view all of our current buffs at any point in time. Whether this means scrolling over a "and many more" buff, or opening up the menu and going to a buff pane, or something else. It needs to be in the game in some fashion.
  • scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer
    Yeah, getting better visibility on the important buffs/procs is where we need a solution, in my mind. If my paladin's Echoes of Light procs and my next encounter power will reset my encounter cooldowns, I may want to use a different encounter power next. Having a way to get the whole list? That also needs to happen.

• caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    scarabman said:

What if the buff icons were made to look like jewels and relocated to wrap around the radius of the character portrait's golden border, spiralling outward as each buff (Green jewel)/debuff (Red jewel) is added?
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • dagambitdagambit Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    scarabman said:

1) Here is a suggestion that I think would work for console. How about moving the experience bar below the encounter powers? Then double the buff/debuff bar under the characters health. Thats the set up you use for PC besides the double stacking and it just might work on console as well.

2) The bosses health bar could be thinner maybe by 25%, the buff debuff could be the same length as the bosses health bar.

3) active companions icon could be an icon next to the companion that shows you have active companion contributions.

4) If you are worried about screen real state then everything on the right side above the active quest could be collapsable icon next to the invoking icon.
    Rogue - Setsuna F Seiei (PC)
    Rogue - Setsuna F Seiei (XB1)
    Rogue - Serenity (PS4)
  • onin002onin002 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I have a suggestion for both console and PC:
    Make a buff/debuff menue on settings where all classes are listed and all possible buffs/debuffs are listed on each class.
    Put an check box infront of each buff/debuff. Only checked buffs/debuffs are showed on screen.

To improve and help a little an short info text on what each buff/debuff is doing shall be added to each listed buff/debuff.

/Onin (on PC)
    Post edited by onin002 on
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    scarabman said:

You could begin by allowing access to the bar when actively trying to access it.
    One of the most persistently annoying things about this game since I first started playing has been the inability to dig into the "...more" at the end of the buff list when you are actually clicking on it to see them.
    Not when its in play but when you actually dig into it... if that all makes sense.

Oh... another...
    You could make space by moving the Glory boost icon to the "couldnt care less" end of the priorities. I am well aware I still have an unused Glory Bonus thanks... if I could delete it, discard it, or set it on fire and watch it burn I would have done so long before enduring PvP in order to use it.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

One of the most persistently annoying things about this game since I first started playing has been the inability to dig into the "...more" at the end of the buff list when you are actually clicking on it to see them.

I agree with this. The whole "...more" thing seems like a holdover for an idea that was never implemented. Even if I just want to see if the Omu currency buff is still active it's impossible. Being able to hit "..more" and actually have it do something would be a great first step.
    Just want to second the shrinking, or moving, of the Xp bar, additionally our companions hp/xp bar could be inserted into the existing companion icon without much loss in readability. Frankly the Xp bar can move to the char select screen. It’s not as if the majority of players have to manage it at this point (potential to delevel). The relevance just isn’t there in neverwinter.

Also, there isn’t much relevant in the top right of the frame. That is, the experience award flashing icon etc. they could all be shrunk and shuffled. The option to toggle quests would be nice, choices being 1, none, or what we have currently with multiples. Furthermore, the invoking time could be moved to the character select screen with the icon appearing on the main screen when available.

That it off the top of my head. Very interested to see where this conversation goes. Great to see that it’s being considered as it’s one of those things which can tap dance on my last nerve some days
  • mixologeemixologee Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    The easiest, and probably best, option would be to allow people to either show the current, minimized bar, or the full length bar. Give them the choice to show the whole thing or not. As for taking up too much screen, you can either stack the buffs similar to what we see on the bosses or have the option to use small or large icons similar to the recent bag changes.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    My unorganized thoughts:

• Buffs
    -Have the “more info” link take to a screen where all current buffs are listed (I understand some will be
    gone before the screen loads) once on the screen have the ability to toggle on/off the notification in the
    buff bar.
    -One step further with the buff turn off, have an option for a 2 minute warning for any buff that is
    originally set to last more than 10 minutes (food, elixir, scroll, etc).

• XP bar
    -Would like it gone I’ve been level 70 for years so it doesn’t matter to me.
    -Companion image, health, and XP
    -Doesn’t matter as he is always dead and useless.
    -A smaller companion image overlapped with my character image and a smaller health bar where my
    character XP bar is would be nice.

• AD bonus, Glory bonus, XP bonus, VIP bonus
    -These can all be moved somewhere else or toggled off.
    -AD bonus may as well just give RAD with upcoming changes.
    -Glory bonus is dead to me
    -XP is not as relevant since the 60 – 70 adjustment.

• Right side of the screen
    -Quest tracker - I would like to be able to turn this off completely (I like looking at the landscape).
    -XP reward and Heroic reward blinkers, it would be nice if these were smaller. Like many I run influence
    when I can and claim over multiple days and I save XP reward for 2x enchants.
    -Remove the unspent power point icon when a player has more than 124 points.

/edit
    Now that I'm in game and looking the legendary bonus and active companion contribution icons can go too. I know what my companions are.

Mending wounds is also unnecessary with VIP.
    Post edited by froger#9967 on
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • jayjay#5355 jayjay Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    > @onin002 said:
    > I have a suggestion for both console and PC:
    > Make a buff/debuff menue on settings where all classes are listed and all possible buffs/debuffs are listed on each class.
    > Put an check box infront of each buff/debuff. Only checked buffs/debuffs are showed on screen.
    >
    > To improve and help a little an short info text on what each buff/debuff is doing shall be added to each listed buff/debuff.
    >
    > /Onin (on PC)

Something like this would be ideal. Id like to be able to fully customize what I can see on my screen. Would be a HUGE QA change.

I'm happy this is being looked into but I feel like it's something that should of been being worked on a long time ago. Hopefully this picks up steam and we see a change soon.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    Just out of interest, has anyone any idea how big that list would be?

Are you talking about, for example, "Power Share from group members." as one buff, or each of the individual variants that provide that buff?
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    @midnightlight#2361 I know I'm pulling up a somewhat necro thread but the buff bar question came up in the stream yesterday. Since it's not realistic to expand a full buff bar for console, would it be possible to consider some of the comments above?
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    I would suggest sorting buffs by when the expire with the soonest expiring furthest left. This would keep the perma buffs off the bar when you have too many and make it easy to track the short term temp buffs.
  • midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    Buff bar is very important. I hope Devs can help us.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I call it BS that it's not realistic to get a full buff bar on console. It would just be work to get it done.

Outside of giving us a full buff bar there are things that could be done to improve our limited, and quite honestly worthless, buff bar.

I don't know if I agree that buffs should be sorted by when they'll expire alone because there are also some short term buffs that aren't important.

The buffs could be given some type of hierarchy so they can be ranked by value of importance and mix that in with expiring buffs, etc. If they won't give us a full buff bar they need to at least fix what's there so it's of value.
  • midnightlight#2361 midnightlight Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 45 Cryptic Developer
    Hello all! Thought I would pop in to say we have some solutions we hope will help. We will never have the full buff bar running across the screen, but there are other ways we can help players be able to view more than the truncated list you currently see. As we get our changes to a more final state I can share more information.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User

Hello all! Thought I would pop in to say we have some solutions we hope will help. We will never have the full buff bar running across the screen, but there are other ways we can help players be able to view more than the truncated list you currently see. As we get our changes to a more final state I can share more information.

@midnightlight#2361

First, thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to hearing more as this has always been a major frustration for me.

I'm guessing these are plans for mod16? Or, because (I'm guessing) this is a console only change could we see changes sooner?

Either way, glad to know this is being looked at.
  • midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    very very good!
  • fra7santofra7santo Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    READ HERE:

i'm a PC player, i have full buff bar on my 13" notebook and i can say that in some fight with high level players and with several buffs is frustrating see the whole screen full of 5 buff bars.. :/

like here:
    https://imgur.com/a/Oxqbgdl

instead of u i was looking for an option to disable the view of all those buffs and activare only in some cases, like a toggle shortcut on the keybord
  • arod7932arod7932 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    It's maddening using the Empowered Chain of Scales and not being able to see what buff I got.
  • vixazarahvvixazarahv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    fra7santo said:

READ HERE:

i'm a PC player, i have full buff bar on my 13" notebook and i can say that in some fight with high level players and with several buffs is frustrating see the whole screen full of 5 buff bars.. :/

like here:
    https://imgur.com/a/Oxqbgdl

instead of u i was looking for an option to disable the view of all those buffs and activare only in some cases, like a toggle shortcut on the keybord

If you can adjust your HUD, you could slide the players and Buffs over to the right side of the screen.