test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Ice Fishing should be restored to the way it was before.

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
People are not fond of the Ice fishing in the Icewind dale, it is more work and takes a lot longer. I'm making this thread for those players who really don't like the changes done this year. I also think the taking out all the old items and placing them in the zen store was kinda a slap in the face. Ice mimic should have been in the winter event store like it always is. This event seems like an attempt at making the event more of a grind removing fun from some of the activities like fishing just to make more money. I do hope there is changes and this can be undone. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• kirindar#1220 kirindar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I agree, with the ice fishing and the professions thing. All the new 'Workshop' seems to me is more of a grind in an attempt to squeeze money out of people. It's sad. Could be such a much more awesome game.. We're already stuck in niche characters, we can't sandbox them at all.. Would love to dual or even multi-class..
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I agree it is far more effort then it needs to be for a mini game and the tutorial when you do it for the first time with a character is sluggish and intrusive to the UI.

Sadly this just aint a fishing game i personally have yet to find someone who actually does it because they enjoy it.
  • jganthjganth Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Winter Festival is practically dead as a result - this was a bad joke to have anticipated the festival for weeks now. It's not however a surprise in keeping with the theme of terrible decisions; the fishing in SOMI was not well received and heavily critiqued, yet here it is again.

Intentional? Sure smells like a PLA boot jack holiday cheer.
  • khanwolfkhanwolf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    Q: In new Workshop what is a Focus? Because i can not buy it, I tried find in the Workshop Store?
    Developers please stop missing with game!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Focus is a worker stat. It comes inherent on the worker and is boosted by tools. You can also get things like teas that can boost it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tazz4nowtazz4now Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    I agree about the fishing, too many buttons to press and it takes too long. Another thing I haven't been able to find is the event profession guy that I could swear I read somewhere was going to be in the festival area for anyone to use, oh well, I am just logging in to look through the telescope and get my gift, then playing other content......this used to be an awesome event, hopefully the gifts are good and the rng chance hasn't been changed
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    tazz4now said:

I agree about the fishing, too many buttons to press and it takes too long. Another thing I haven't been able to find is the event profession guy that I could swear I read somewhere was going to be in the festival area for anyone to use, oh well, I am just logging in to look through the telescope and get my gift, then playing other content......this used to be an awesome event, hopefully the gifts are good and the rng chance hasn't been changed

The gifts won't be good and the rng will be bad ;)

Seriously, Happy Christmas all!
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Seems like they are going out of their way to ruin the game we have played for years. Not sure why , if they hate it so much why not just quit working on it. In the beginning this game had the ability to become the next WoW . But instead with bad management , horrible decisions that almost always go against what the players want and their willingness to constantly release sub par products have made sure that it will stay a mediocre game at best . But I mostly play Ultima Online anyways 6 accounts since Sept and Oct 1997 and still love it.
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    The fishing is horrible, was the only other part I looked forward to in this event other than the free gift.

Adding a cost for the lures is even more a slap in the face. I have 9 toons, as I hopped on yesterday and ran my telescope and free package I checked the fishing area in each instance: Completely empy and some of the zones were filled with 20 people.

Good job devs on killing this event.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I agree with the OP. Ice Fishing in the winter event has had different iterations over the years. And the changes have been enough for rewards and time that some (not all) considered fishing a part to grind in the winter event.

However, this year, the change is unwelcomed. Here are my reasons:
    1. There is no discernible TIME difference between the free white fishing pole and the purple somi fishing pole that you have to find via the map in the bottle. I tested the TIME difference in casting from rank 1 to rank 5 catches, and I could not perceive any difference.
    2. The instructions to equip the rod require a potion slot, unlike Somi fishing (or Lonelywood). Thus, the interface is bad for those who have never done fishing (they have to buy the white rod), and for those who are accustomed to either Lonelywood or Somi fishing.
    3. The randomized time between casting and hooking, which was added in Somi, to prevent bots from auto fishing the maps in a bottle (and which failed even in that) has made its way into the Winter Event, so that the EVENT about who catches the most is now entirely based on Sabiki rigs (a zen item). In past events, the waterlogged bags or soaked purses were sufficient in catches (because you could upgrade rods and go faster to get more bags) to get boosts and still compete without zen. However, since TIME in rod casting AND randomized TIME in hooking means that only getting multi-hooks with the Sabiki will aid in winning the event...which matters not anyway, because the REWARDS for all the events remained unchanged.
    4. The fish are unable to be sold for gold. They just sit in the inventory and take up space until you want to trade them for lights. But, given the plethora of lights that come from parcels, this is not a way to get lights for any event items, especially given point 3 and the time.
    5. Like years before, you can receive things other than FISH when casting (light pods, illuminated morimo, soaked purses, etc). But, some of these are rp only (very low), some have a very small gold and rp value),, but have no EVENT value. So, if you are casting (on average) every 45 seconds to get a fish to complete the quest for the day (5 of any one kind of fish), you can pull up any one of a number of things that count nothing for the quest goal and count nothing for the fishing EVENT (if its live). It took me 25 minutes to catch 5 of the same kind of fish, and this was after I ditched my purple rod for the white rod, because the purple rod does have the (ANNOYING) ability to hook things other than fish.
    6. The trade value for the old rods. Really? The light vendor to trade fishing rewards for stuff that is borderline worthless (trading in lightpods for rp stuff, when you can just run around and kill stuff in any dungeon or skirmish and get more, faster OR all those fish and altars and light motes for 5 hero feasts...no thanks!)
    7. Also, the ice ponds were poorly designed because they interfere with the super speed sled jumps. That is right! If you decide you want to go super speed sledding down the hill or down the steps, you will jump right into...two of the ponds and stun yourself. What fun!

I will not comment on the rest of Winter Event. Overall, there is little that changed (except moving old rewards to zen market, adding a few graphics in PE where NO ONE WILL HANG OUT DURING EVENT, and adding the Yeti mount that is actually cool). The events are, sadly, the same in rewards, with less bang for the effort. After hearing of the overhaul to events (summer, liars, and winter), I am underwhelmed at the result. I do not say revert to old fishing (it was a grind and it was boring). But, this fishing in WORSE.

Cheers!
    Post edited by checkmatein3 on
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• footstankfootstank Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I couldn't agree more I was so excited to ice fish this and they changed it actually destroyed. My option games are better when they are used friendly this new ice fishing is not. I don't even want to play it now I feel this is going to push people away from the game now so disappointed.
  • inugurlinugurl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Pretty disappointed in the event this year. Spent an easy 30 mins trying to catch fish to complete the daily. I fell in 3 times from a little mistep, ice is slippery, I get that, but then your stunned for a few secs. It's a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Silver lining for me, I'll get more sleep. I usually wake up and hour early every day to get a run in before work. I wont be bothering this year. This change has wreaked my favorite event. Really sucks.
  • eliasar#2396 eliasar Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    This is majesticly hilarious... since module 15 literally EVERYTHING this dev team is doing, is competing who can make worse decision and implement it in game by as terrible way, as its even possible. However I have bad news for genius who thought somi fishing in event and useless and old-outdated rewards from event in zen store would be good idea.. You must try harder, though this was a good try, you need to try far harder because whoever who managed "class balance" and whole concept of m15 did far worse job thus there is still long way to go before you, still I must admit this was good try, killing event feature.
  • zdrobitorzdrobitor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    And one more, who finally ended ice fishing. I was looking forward to the Winter event all year, but since yesterday the creators have killed my joy. The control mechanics from SOMI really sucks. Sorry for the harsh language, but I can't whitewash anything here. There are no green, blue and purple ice holes any more, also no skeletons jump up. All are standing good in rank and file instead of fighting for each hole. Yesterday also were astonishing few people on the ice. Who wonders? The Yeti as price is indeed great to see, but I must not really have it with its speed rate of only 50%. Thus, it is not better than the demon slide. Last year there was still the Royal Winter sled with a speed rate of 110% outside of the event, because the effort was worth it yet. Thank you, dear maker for this worse improvement, but the Winter event definitively has resolved itself for me. Play it alone!
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    People were complaining because they were bored with the same old things during events, begging for some kind of change or update... well guess what things have been updated, as the saying goes be careful what you ask for.

Some of the more remarkable things for me about the winter festival fishing update I haven't even seen...

For instance I used to have a fishing pole in my inventory, it was just the low level basic one but still it was something I had in my inventory, it's all I needed. I didn't fish competitively or to snag something for profit. I did it to relax.

However for some inexplicable reason it suddenly "snapped", not from just one of my characters, so of course I am expected to buy another fishing pole. The good news is I can exchange the snapped pole for two light clusters - the bad news is I can't purchase any kind of pole for two light clusters, even the cheapest most basic pole cost 16 coppers to buy any other kind I have to spend at least 6 light clusters.

Players could also previously use their poles and fish in any available opening. This year every pole comes with a disclaimer *"Allows wielder to fish in some areas". Where those areas and with which kind of pole is allowed in which areas, it doesn't say but each pole comes with the same disclaimer. So I'm guessing (since I haven't daned to invest in a new pole) that with better more expensive poles allows wielders to fish in better areas for better prizes.

In previous years the fishing pole was all that was needed to fish in Simril, but this year in addition to having a pole, players must have bait - and of course bait cost. So I bought 6 wax worms for 4 coppers each and used them all.

I got one brown bream, and one durgrace and a couple of ice water baths... but all that meant to me was that for 24 coppers I caught two fish I couldn't do anything with and had a couple of icy baths. Basically the money I spent to purchase those wax worms I could have just as well thrown into the ice hole for all the good it did me.

So an item in my inventory destroyed, for which I received minimal compensation, I have to buy a new pole and in addition to that expense I also have to purchase bait. The returns for that expense doesn't appear to be any better than it was previously and it takes a great deal more time and effort.

The carefree days of tossing a line into any available opening, to just relax and hope for a good catch is over folks, now players in addition to having to purchase a pole to replace one that inexplicably "snapped" in their inventory also have to purchase bait so that means fishing is more expensive than it used to be.

When someone actually hooks a fish, instead of falling off the dock, there is a lot of buttton pushing to maybe catch a fish 'players now have to work harder to have fun' and if there is a more apt oxymoron it presently escapes me.

Which is probably why the fishing area seems to be much less crowded than I recall from previous years.

My 2¢
    DD~
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The only thing I'm curious about is why the Ash (Epic) Fishing Rod seems to be slower in Winter Event than the Elm (Uncommon) &/or Maple (Common) one from SoMi &/or Event Store in SKT.

I mean I couldn't even land a V fish several times with the (Epic) Rod yet could with a Maple (Common) Rod?

Otherwise I'm perfectly FINE they changed the fishing around. But they do need to RECHECK the speeds on all the ROD's!
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • sartoricsartoric Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I've landed a couple of level V fish ... spent a minute (with purple rod) for a Sickly Marimo

... what ?!
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I keep trying the new fishing everyday I go back to get my gifts. I want to make sure its not just me being resistant to change. One trick that I did not know till I watched a video was that I thought you just clicked the Q-E-R buttons but, no, you hold them down... well that was clear as mud.

But even learning that, I am still hating, loathing, disgusted, (thinking of more negative emotional verbs) the new fishing. I liked the ice fishing in the holes. Heck, I did not even mind the undead coming out of the holes as at least it made sense story wise. I have yet to have an alt spend any significant time fishing this fest (just like I have abandoned professions).
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I can't understand why there is so much (player and developer) attention to revamping existing content instead of developing new content.

Instead of removing content, add some different prizes or challenges to existing content like the Liar's Festival - (*Well done by the way, thank you)

I would consider the Liar's Festival a near home run with the addition of the contest, new activities in new areas and new prizes available (I took points away for it being yet another grind, but still...) without appearing to have removed any of the previous content.

Don't just eliminate content or portions of content people have grown to appreciate such as in the case of the Winter Festival and try to convince people it's 'better' when clearly a lot of people have a different opinion.

Would it have been so hard to expand the Simril map a little to make a 'pros fishing area' with better poles, bait requirement, more challenge (aka: more button pushing) and better catches - while leaving the previous fishing event pretty much the way it was?

Winter festival's fishing event, a swing and a miss because the new content completely displaced previously existing content that so many seemed to enjoy.

At least players have a more of a choice, instead of having their choices limited to adapt to the new content that completely replaced the old content, or walk away.

I get it, from a programming perspective it is much easier and less time consuming to take and existing area and change a few things to update it instead of making adding a whole new area, even if much of the new area uses some of the old area templates.

But as far as I'm concerned if anyone claims to be bored with existing content the best answer isn't always gutting something that already exists to make it different in total disregard to the people who haven't complained - but try to change things by adding some new content, maybe more challenging aspects, possibly with better rewards to existing content.

That way the 'squeaky wheels' and the silent ones are both made to feel appreciated.

Again, just my 2¢
    DD~
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    jganth said:

Winter Festival is practically dead as a result - this was a bad joke to have anticipated the festival for weeks now. It's not however a surprise in keeping with the theme of terrible decisions; the fishing in SOMI was not well received and heavily critiqued, yet here it is again.

On the first day, maybe it was dead. Now there are 30 instances & 20 are maxed out/
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited December 2018

jganth said:

On the first day, maybe it was dead. Now there are 30 instances & 20 are maxed out/
    Yes but how many are fishing? I just looked there are 35 in my instance went to the lake 2 people fishing with 6 mins left in fishing event.
    Logged in 2nd toon different instance 28 people 4 are fishing with 7 mins left in fishing event. So out of 63 people only 6 are fishing. That means there are 57 people just hanging out and not enjoying the new and horrible way of fishing.
    Last year there would of been about a dozen in each instance fishing during the fishing events .
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    Wow a whole 30 instances? At peak times there should be twice that or more. But keep that white cape on.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Fishing went from a zen (small z) activity to being too slow and dull. Doing the Daily fishing quest is out. Can take forever to randomly get 5 bream. Maybe have a free bream thrown in every time you get a non-fish item. At least while you have the fish quest going!

I actually miss the undead fishermen, too. If they are still there... I got too
    bored of fishing before any showed up.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    ilithyn said:

Wow a whole 30 instances? At peak times there should be twice that or more. But keep that white cape on.

And you are assuming that I play at peak times... why?
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    To be honest 600 players isnt a large amount for an MMO is it even at low peak times?