test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

limit on acorns reached but theres still room for more?

wemerywemery Member Posts: 190 Arc User

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Are you running with Wiggins in your active comps?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • wemerywemery Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    yes
    Might be his limit that has been reached.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Wiggins_the_Undead_Intern Roflol if thats the case they should give out refunds B)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I think this is just an annoying visual bug. Same thing happened in Barovia. And Chult.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    thanks kreatyve
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    Campaign companions are designed to reward 10% bonus currency. With the weekly haul approach to campaigns this works in a specific way.

If things were 100% technical, week 1 of the campaign progress you'd only get 10 extra acorns from a companion. By the final week when the haul is up to 175 you'd get 18. Instead we allow a flat 20 bonus acorns from the companion each week (so 20% gains the first week instead of 10%).

So if that's the case, why do players end up hitting the companion cap before hitting their weekly haul?

That is simply because we round up. If a player does a task that awards 5 acorns, we obviously can't award 1/2 of an acorn as bonus currency so we award 1. That means if a player does 20 tasks which each award 5 acorns (for 100 acorns), they actually end up earning 20 bonus acorns through the companion, which is a 20% gain instead of a 10% gain. When this happens, you begin to see the message that your limit has been reached until the following week.

There is no missing out on currency, you are simply earning it faster than you are earning the base currency.

Also companion currency does not count against the weekly haul, so the haul will continue to fill as you earn acorns from tasks normally.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited December 2018

Campaign companions are designed to reward 10% bonus currency. With the weekly haul approach to campaigns this works in a specific way.

If things were 100% technical, week 1 of the campaign progress you'd only get 10 extra acorns from a companion. By the final week when the haul is up to 175 you'd get 18. Instead we allow a flat 20 bonus acorns from the companion each week (so 20% gains the first week instead of 10%).

So if that's the case, why do players end up hitting the companion cap before hitting their weekly haul?

That is simply because we round up. If a player does a task that awards 5 acorns, we obviously can't award 1/2 of an acorn as bonus currency so we award 1. That means if a player does 20 tasks which each award 5 acorns (for 100 acorns), they actually end up earning 20 bonus acorns through the companion, which is a 20% gain instead of a 10% gain. When this happens, you begin to see the message that your limit has been reached until the following week.

There is no missing out on currency, you are simply earning it faster than you are earning the base currency.

Also companion currency does not count against the weekly haul, so the haul will continue to fill as you earn acorns from tasks normally.

Are you saying the message regarding "You reached the limit of obtaining Acorns" is not about hitting the limit of the weekly cap but ONLY the limit of the weekly companion bonus?
    i.e. the weekly cap is not reached at all and you can continue the earn Acorns (just without extra companion bonus. If that is the case, the error message is confusing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    That error message REALLY needs to be adjusted. like @kreatyve said, it's been around for four mods now.

But cool, it's good to know that's why the error is appearing, and the peek behind the scenes at the math (and the fact that the companions are better than their tooltip says) is really neat.
    "Your companion has done all they can for you for the week. Give them a day off."