test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to have fun and profit from the new crafting system

feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
edited November 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
First, decide which professions you want to enjoy and hang out a sign informing local artisans which professions you are recruiting for and what the requirements are: must be fast workers with no excessive commission demands. Oh wait! You can't choose which professions generate applicants. If you want to get started any time soon, you have to take what gatherers and crafters the RNG gives you. Since even epic crafters can come with up to a 200% commission penalty, be prepared to spend 50 gold per day per alt just to generate 30-35k in commission to upgrade your workshop to get better applicants. So it's time to plan ahead. Don't rely on your gatherers and crafters to make a profit - because Neverwinter relies on real-world economic logic, it costs much more money to gather raw materials than they can be sold for. In fact, it costs many times more, because that's how the world works!

5.5 million commission to upgrade to level 4 means 153 fully productive workshop days! That's up to 7650 gold! Better really plan ahead. It's time to learn MS Excel and get to work on a spreadsheet! Isn't this fun? You're learning real world skills in navigating a fun, exciting part of a computer game! Just imagine explaining "Extensive familiarity with Excel from over 60 hours compiling Neverwinter spreadsheets" on your CV to potential employers! They're sure to be impressed.

Check the AH to see if you can stock up on gold right away. Hmm, a stack of 100 platinum statuettes worth about1/3 gold each sells for only 12.6k AD as of this writing. That means all you need to get 7650 gold is ((7,650/33) x 12,600) = (231.818 x 12,600) = 2,920,909 AD to cover commission costs to keep your crafters busy while you wait for one single workshop to upgrade so you can get epic applicants that might, just might, eventually show up and offer their services without significant commission or speed penalties. If you're lucky, after running dungeons for one month at 100k/day - no slacking and taking days off this fun, exciting chore - you'll be ready to spend all that hard-earned AD on treasure from dungeons to get your crafters ready. So let's come back in just one month! In the meantime, make all the gold you can! So: no refining gear you pick up, and definitely no buying those expensive 5 gold crafted keys to get your loot and extra from dungeons. You have the time, so run more dungeons and get your AD from the free chests!

(One month later)

It's now late December, but you don't have time to enjoy the Christmas event - you've got AD to spend! Let's hope that the universal demand for gold hasn't driven up prices on everything you can sell for gold, like statuettes, bowls, chalices, masks, low-level blue gear, and consumables. Surely people who aren't as smart as you will have given up on this crafting idea, so demand will be depressed by now. Let's hope so, anyway!

Ok, you've spent your three million AD, converted it to gold by selling at least 232 but, let's be honest, as many as a thousand stacks of items from the AH (hope you've cleared your inventory bags!) and you can finally get off to a fast start on professions! In only 153 workshop days, if you check in every few hours (no napping!) to check your delivery box, you'll have a fully upgraded workshop and those epic artisans will be lining up to occasionally offer their services, depending on the always-friendly RNG! You can now look forward to a friendly bout with the RNG as you explore the wonderful world of mastercrafting every day with its multiple layers of potential for failure, but it'll all be worth it when you finally beat the odds and get that recipe book! Surely mastercrafted gear will still be relevant to the game and in demand when that long-awaited day arrives!
Post edited by feanor70118 on

Comments

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

First, decide which professions you want to enjoy and hang out a sign informing local artisans which professions you are recruiting for and what the requirements are: must be fast workers with no excessive commission demands. Oh wait! You can't choose which professions generate applicants. If you want to get started any time soon, you have to take what gatherers and crafters the RNG gives you. Since even epic crafters can come with up to a 200% commission penalty, be prepared to spend 50 gold per day just to generate 30-35k in commission to upgrade your workshop to get better applicants. So it's time to plan ahead. Don't rely on your gatherers and crafters to make a profit - because Neverwinter relies on real-world economic logic, it costs much more money to gather raw materials than they can be sold for. In fact, it costs many times more, because that's how the world works!

5.5 million commission to upgrade to level 4 means 153 fully productive workshop days! That's up to 7650 gold! Better really plan ahead. It's time to learn MS Excel and get to work on a spreadsheet! Isn't this fun? You're learning real world skills in navigating a fun, exciting part of a computer game! Just imagine explaining "Extensive familiarity with Excel from over 60 hours compiling Neverwinter spreadsheets" on your CV to potential employers! They're sure to be impressed.

Check the AH to see if you can stock up on gold right away. Hmm, a stack of 100 platinum statuettes worth about1/3 gold each sells for only12.6k AD as of this writing. That means all you need to get 7650 gold is ((7,650/33) x 12,600) = 231.818 x 12,600= 2,920,909 AD to cover commission costs to keep your crafters busy while you wait for one single workshop to upgrade so you can get epic applicants that might, just might, eventually show up and offer their services without significant commission or speed penalties. If you're lucky, after running dungeons for one month at 100k/day - no slacking and taking days off this fun, exciting chore - you'll be ready to spend all that hard-earned AD on treasure from dungeons to get your crafters ready. So let's come back in just one month! In the meantime, make all the hodl you can! So no refining gear you pick up, and definitely no buying those expensive 5 gold crafted keys to get your loot and extra from dungeons. You have the time, so jsut run more dungeons and get your AD from the free chests!

(One month later)

It's now late December, but you don't have time to enjoy the Christmas event - you've got AD to spend! Let's hoep that the universal demand for gold hasn't driven up prices on everything you can sell for gold, like statuettes, bowls, chalices, masks, low-level blue gear, and consumables. Surely people who aren't as smart as you will have given up on this crafting idea, so demand will be depresssed by now. Let's hope so, anyway!

Ok, you've spent your three million AD, converted it to gold by selling at least 232 but, let's be honest, as many as a thousand stacks of items from the AH (hope you've cleared your inventory bags!) and you can finally get off to a fast start on professions! In only 153 workshop days, if you check in every few hours (no napping!) to check your delivery box, you'll have a fully upgraded workshop and those epic artisans will be lining up to occasionally offer their services, depending on the always-friendly RNG! You can now look forward to a friendly bout with the RNG as you explore the wonderful world of mastercrafting every day with its multiple layers of potential for failure, but it'll all be worth it when you finally beat the odds and get that recipe book! Surely mastercrafted gear will still be relevant to the game in in demand when that long-awaited day arrives!

@rainer#8575 has a YouTube channel. He already did the spreadsheet. Search Rainer + Neverwinter
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

@rainer#8575 has a YouTube channel. He already did the spreadsheet. Search Rainer + Neverwinter

I'm well aware, and have the spreadsheet bookmarked. It's https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RpX3qg6e32jzIzfM92Obfedz8tysP1zdgODwjfCKx8k/edit#gid=427950324 for those who don't already have the link.

The spreadsheet, however, is only a list of artisans. It does not calculate, for, how much gold each one will costs per day of crafting (plus up to 10 attempts at crafting level 70 items). It does not calculate how much gold three gatherers and three crafters will consume in a day of crafting - that I have learned from experience when the RNG saddled one of of my alts with expensive crafters and gatherers and has not yet provided cheaper replacements.

The point is that system is economically unsound, illogical, unbalanced, time consuming and frustrating. It is in no way fun or a game - it's an exercise in self-flagellation. Since I am not a medieval monk - indeed there's no Monk class as yet - I don't enjoy it.

This is so true - I played around with Crafting as soon as Mod 15 hit down. I made some quick buck AD on the Auction House until people caught on.

I did the 500k to get to Workshop rank 3 then calculated the time/effort to get to rank 4 and walked away shaking my figurative head. I havent touched it since.

Its a shame as overall I think its a massive improvement in immersive gameplay, there is loads of logic to the system... but as the OP says the reality is a harsh wake up call that this is now a very serious time consuming job to craft!
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    It's your point of vue @feanor70118 .
    I enjoy the new system much more than the old one.

The Rainer's file seems a good basis, but I rather use my own spreadsheet (I don't like to use something i didn't make :P) with my own infos (i don't like to take from others too), all of that only for myself (because I don't want to share everything ^^).

I didn't really bother yet with rank 4 (it's not my goal right now), but i did the maths on rank 3.

Rough approx, for level 70 artisan and with the profession i have chosen :
    rank 2=>3 is 11 days max for 1 workshop fully working on it (if you don't have a stupid team for your RNGartisans),
    I expect rank 3=>4 to be around 147+ days (3h craft instead of 2h, 10 x more to go + %failure on level 68-70 crafts for no legendary/gond tool).
    So i'm pretty close (a bit above) to your final precise 153 days total.

Gold can be translated into workshop time, in my opinon.
    You can make whatever quantity of gold by chosing and producing a good gold-earning reciepe (they are obvious...).
    We made insane amounts from balms before they fixed it, but even now there are still some nice gold-earning reciepes (but yeah, it usually involves more collects/intermediate crafts than the balm).

Question : is rank 4 really needed to make crafts profitable ?
    My opinion is no.

6 more slots in the delivery box (very marginal advantage as soon as you are on 2h-3h crafts) and access to epic artisans as candidates is not requiered to be profitable.
    Yep, some of the best artisans are epic ones, depending on how you work, what you craft, and what is it for. But not all the best are epics, or you can find some "little lesser efficient equivalent" in rare and common.
    Obsession to be "BiS" everywhere will make you burn out.

Maths, spreadsheets/Excel, wild calculations, etc can be fun (depends on how much you enjoy getting deep in a system).
    It allows you to see flaws, navigate between reciepes to hit the most beneficial one and avoid crappy ones.

You can also enjoy the craft without any (or only a few) maths involved, with just basic concepts which are all very very obvious (im"h"o).
    You just have to know what you want to do with each of your workshops (gold, AD, craft only for yourself, all of that in the same workshop, quick low tier reciepes, high tier reciepes, masterwork ? is this workshop will only be the supplyer for another one ? Is this workship will only craft "finished products" ?) because one artisan who is the best for one thing is often not for the other.

Today, I made around 400k DA /day by selling crafts (much more during the first 10 days of the mod15), with 6-8 workshops (i have 30) only built and based on my "common sense" and it take around 40minutes of my playtime. It's not even mastercraft.
    I can very improve by more calculations and more alt+tab on spreadsheets... but... hey...

Am I cost efficient enough gold-wise reported to platine bowl (for exemple) AD buying cost ? Can i make more margins ? Can i produce more AD/day by increasing speed/miracle workers/dab hands ? Should I buy legendary tools and how much time does it take to amortize their cost ?
    Should I really care about that if i'm not a huge fan of crafting ?

Or am I fine with my 40-50min = 400kDA sales/ day ?

• feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User

It's your point of vue @feanor70118 .

Gold can be translated into workshop time, in my opinon.
    You can make whatever quantity of gold by chosing and producing a good gold-earning reciepe (they are obvious...).
    We made insane amounts from balms before they fixed it, but even now there are still some nice gold-earning reciepes (but yeah, it usually involves more collects/intermediate crafts than the balm).

Yes, they are. But gold-earning recipes are not commission-earning recipes. Commission-earning recipes are still losses when sold for gold rather than commission.

Earning gold for its own sake accomplishes nothing but funding a workshop.

In other words, you agree that the system is not self-sustaining, so thanks.

Oh, and the price of balm wasn't fixed by the change, it was broken by it.

Question : is rank 4 really needed to make crafts profitable ?
    My opinion is no.
    6 more slots in the delivery box (very marginal advantage as soon as you are on 2h-3h crafts) and access to epic artisans as candidates is not requiered to be profitable.
    Yep, some of the best artisans are epic ones, depending on how you work, what you craft, and what is it for. But not all the best are epics, or you can find some "little lesser efficient equivalent" in rare and common.
    Obsession to be "BiS" everywhere will make you burn out.

I think it's obvious that the entire point of my post was that the path to a BiS workshop is too long and expensive to be worthwhile, so I'm glad you agree. Obviously epic artisans are not always the best. In fact, the abilities/penalties assigned to epic artisans seem to me to be no better than those assigned to "common" artisans and are often worse. The ranks make no sense at all, but then neither does having a list of pre-rolled artisans instead of truly random ones that all have traits within viable limits. However, since the devs decided that in the delivery box and only in the delivery box certain items should not stack (and really, isn't it obvious that a gemstone made to be mounted in a ring takes up the same amount of space as a suit of plate mail?), having a larger box is essential for those of us who have to work and sleep and therefore cannot be bothered to check in with NW every three hours.

Today, I made around 400k DA /day by selling crafts (much more during the first 10 days of the mod15), with 6-8 workshops (i have 30) only built and based on my "common sense" and it take around 40minutes of my playtime. It's not even mastercraft.
    I can very improve by more calculations and more alt+tab on spreadsheets... but... hey...

Am I cost efficient enough gold-wise reported to platine bowl (for exemple) AD buying cost ? Can i make more margins ? Can i produce more AD/day by increasing speed/miracle workers/dab hands ? Should I buy legendary tools and how much time does it take to amortize their cost ?
    Should I really care about that if i'm not a huge fan of crafting ?

Or am I fine with my 40-50min = 400kDA sales/ day ?

Yes, anyone can make money selling reinforcement kits made by a -75% commission artisan until everyone has the -75% commission artisans. If I needed AD right now I'd take advantage of that bubble too. In the meantime, thanks for helping me to point out that the storyline that tries to get players to max out their workshops is deceptive and not economical for players who want to use a crafting system productively.
  • flambridgeflambridge Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User

The point is that system is economically unsound, illogical, unbalanced, time consuming and frustrating. It is in no way fun or a game - it's an exercise in self-flagellation. Since I am not a medieval monk - indeed there's no Monk class as yet - I don't enjoy it.

+1
    Devs transform craft system in a "more bureaucratic version of Brasilia".
    And believe me, Brasilia is very very very bureaucratic. :s
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited November 2018

Yes, anyone can make money selling reinforcement kits made by a -75% commission artisan until everyone has the -75% commission artisans.

That was one of the easy ones, yes - the other was to make +1 pants, as they are basically BiS and many players wanted those. Those prices have collapsed, but it is still possible to make a lot from making certain Masterwork items, although those profits are being squeezed too.
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
  • rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Forget what I said here. Mistakes were made!
    Post edited by rainer#8575 on
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    So what I get from this discussion is that unless you are super careful, do lots and lots of research and analysis, etc. you will get screwed by the new system.

Wow, what fun, what gaming enjoyment, what a laugh. I mean seriously, why does Cryptic program like they actually hate their customers? Its like something out of Dilbert.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited November 2018

So what I get from this discussion is that unless you are super careful, do lots and lots of research and analysis, etc. you will get screwed by the new system.

Wow, what fun, what gaming enjoyment, what a laugh. I mean seriously, why does Cryptic program like they actually hate their customers? Its like something out of Dilbert.

Depends on how you view enjoyment, this is fun for certain people.
    e.g. One can consider chess and/or Go are fun and they need you are super careful, do lots and lots of research and analysis, etc. otherwise, you will get screwed by your opponent.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User

About the workshop rank 4 discussion. It can actually be done in as little as ~45 days** on 1 character with a very simple task and resources that can be vendor bought (So if you have 45 toons, you can do 1 rank4 upgrade per day). You just need to know what to make. In my upcoming version v3.1 of the sheet I will have a better commission crafting overview available ;-)

And yes, professions can cost a lot of gold, but doing the correct tasks also can make you gain gold ('a little' less than before the last patch, but you can still earn gold)

**45 days ONLY counting morale spammed recipes. If you let the recipe fill up your delivery box it can be even quicker

So, what would be the cliff's notes version of this fast upgrade path?
    Can anyone do it, even if they are new to the game, or do we need a certain amount of gold/resources to get started?
    And is this process safe, or is this something that might get patched up in time?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    edited November 2018
    regenerde said:

About the workshop rank 4 discussion. It can actually be done in as little as ~45 days** on 1 character with a very simple task and resources that can be vendor bought (So if you have 45 toons, you can do 1 rank4 upgrade per day). You just need to know what to make. In my upcoming version v3.1 of the sheet I will have a better commission crafting overview available ;-)

And yes, professions can cost a lot of gold, but doing the correct tasks also can make you gain gold ('a little' less than before the last patch, but you can still earn gold)

**45 days ONLY counting morale spammed recipes. If you let the recipe fill up your delivery box it can be even quicker

Can anyone do it, even if they are new to the game, or do we need a certain amount of gold/resources to get started?
    And is this process safe, or is this something that might get patched up in time?
    I don't know what rainer's note will be. I am also not exactly new to the game.

I did create a new character after mod 15 who did not get help from his brother/sister for gold.
    He did his basic adventure to gather some gold himself before he reached the level to do profession. Not much, it was about 2 to 3 gold. He does have VIP. Hence, he could id gear and sell them.
    He is now earning at least 20 gold per day and has over 200 gold in his pocket for doing low level profession to level up and earn gold. He did not borrow resource from his brother/sister to do profession. He gathers, crafts, sells. No, he did not do balm which was patched before he started to work on profession.
    I did not go to preview and he is my first character who does new profession (I was using him as test bed because of the buggy version). Yes, you do need VIP. Without VIP, it will be very painful.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

regenerde said:

I don't know what rainer's note will be. I am also not exactly new to the game.

I did create a new character after mod 15 who did not get help from his brother/sister for gold.
    He did his basic adventure to gather some gold himself before he reached the level to do profession. Not much, it was about 2 to 3 gold. He does have VIP. Hence, he could id gear and sell them.
    He is now earning at least 20 gold per day and has over 200 gold in his pocket for doing low level profession to level up and earn gold. He did not borrow resource from his brother/sister to do profession. He gathers, crafts, sells. No, he did not do balm which was patched before he started to work on profession.
    I did not go to preview and he is my first character who does new profession (I was using him as test bed because of the buggy version). Yes, you do need VIP. Without VIP, it will be very painful.
    Since your new character obviously is not crafting to contribute commission to VIP, all you are saying is that it is possible to use crafting to make gold if you neglect the earning of commission to upgrade a workshop. This is not news to anyone and is not relevant to my original post.
    edited November 2018

e.g. One can consider chess and/or Go are fun and they need you are super careful, do lots and lots of research and analysis, etc. otherwise, you will get screwed by your opponent.
    Sure, but are the people who enjoy figuring out a time-consuming solution to the problem of paying for a workshop upgrade the same people who play a fantasy RPG video game? Are they even a significant fraction of those people? Are they a dominant majority requiring an overhaul of a key game feature and a new mod written just for that kind of entertainment? I doubt it.
    edited November 2018

Sure, but are the people who enjoy figuring out a time-consuming solution to the problem of paying for a workshop upgrade the same people who play a fantasy RPG video game? Are they even a significant fraction of those people? Are they a dominant majority requiring an overhaul of a key game feature and a new mod written just for that kind of entertainment? I doubt it.
    Just like everything in the game, people are waiting for a guide to do something efficiently such as how to build a TR, OP, etc, what the rotation should be, etc. Even the old profession, it took a while for people to get the efficient way to do things. Soon or later, people will provide an efficient formula to craft and people just follow the guide.
    If one does not want to spend time to figure it out right the way, wait for others to do the job first.

Just like everything in the game, people are waiting for a guide to do something efficiently such as how to build a TR, OP, etc, what the rotation should be, etc. Even the old profession, it took a while for people to get the efficient way to do things. Soon or later, people will provide an efficient formula to craft and people just follow the guide.
    If one does not want to spend time to figure it out right the way, wait for others to do the job first.
    I don't really see how that's responsive to my point or even, and I mean no offense, logically coherent. There is no one efficient formula to craft because the object of crafting is either 1) to sell mastercraft stuff for mega AD; 2) To sell less demanding stuff for AD efficiently; 3) To make RP (which is plainly unsound as an enormous gold sink at current rates); 4) To upgrade a worskhop, or all workshops; 5) To make potions to make mastercrafting artisans more efficient. Sure, you can run some alts' workshops to feed gold to others and thereby slow down the expensive upgrade process. That means that by the time you upgrade you'll have missed the opportunity to profit. Either way, it's too much investment of time and resources for too little reward.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Find one of the commission item, one of the glues just as an example, that can be made cheaply and repetitively (40+ times per day) and craft them over and over until they show up in the commission list.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    @plasticbat
    I'm a chess and a go player (among other tact/strat boardgames).
    My IRL job is supply-chain/scheduling production in industrial plastic molded pieces.
    I love MS Excel.

It's a Perfect fit with the new crafting system i guess :D

@feanor70118
    Craft is only one part of the game. Should every part of the game please the majority of the players ?
    If the majority says "epic dungeons are too hard", should the devs decrease the difficulty ? If majority says "hardcore mode is not hardcore enough", should they increase the difficulty ? If the majority says "craft is not worth the invest" should they simplify ?

There is no one efficient formula to craft because the object of crafting is either 1) to sell mastercraft stuff for mega AD; 2) To sell less demanding stuff for AD efficiently; 3) To make RP (which is plainly unsound as an enormous gold sink at current rates); 4) To upgrade a worskhop, or all workshops; 5) To make potions to make mastercrafting artisans more efficient. Sure, you can run some alts' workshops to feed gold to others and thereby slow down the expensive upgrade process. That means that by the time you upgrade you'll have missed the opportunity to profit. Either way, it's too much investment of time and resources for too little reward.

Depending on how you want to drive your boat, you can have formulas (yeah maybe not only one, you really expected it to be as simple ?) to make indicators for the craft. But as any indicator, they only show you something very specific.
    In IRL industry, you have a lot of indicators : for production efficiency you can look at Overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) or Total Effective Equipment Performance (TEEP). Both shows you 2 "vues" of how well your industrial workshop runs.
    If it doesn't work well, then you can check "formulas inside the formula". Maybe it's a quality problem ? (%good pieces). Maybe it's a performance problem ? (the machine should make 120pces/h but only make 80 [bad + good] ). Maybe is the availability bad (too much breaks/changing productions) ?

But having a 99% OOE or a 90% TEEP doesn't mean your manufacturing business is earning money, though it's should somehow be part of how you calculate the sale prices.

You don't seem to have clearly define any goal or what crafting should mainly mean or bring to you. That's, in my opinion, the main problem you have.

Who do you really want to be as a crafter-player ? Judging by your last answers, i expect you to answer "I don't want to be a crafter-player anymore", and it would be ok. You don't have to, as I don't have to do dungeons/bashing monsters during all my playtime.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    Interesting, as this would require earning over 100K credits/day, which looks to be at least an order of magnitude more than possible at first glance. If it uses only morale-generated items that implies an item with a credit value on the order of 10K, which again looks far higher than what you can actually get.

I started work on spreadsheets for the new profession system myself but after doing the first (Gathering) I decided it really needs a full-fledged database...and probably more work than I want to put into any game system. Especially one as dubious as this one.

@Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.

Interesting, as this would require earning over 100K credits/day, which looks to be at least an order of magnitude more than possible at first glance. If it uses only morale-generated items that implies an item with a credit value on the order of 10K, which again looks far higher than what you can actually get.

I started work on spreadsheets for the new profession system myself but after doing the first (Gathering) I decided it really needs a full-fledged database...and probably more work than I want to put into any game system. Especially one as dubious as this one.

Crafting only using morale, I earned over 900k credits today with 15 characters. I'll just about run out of most of my alts' stores of old material credit when I do the grand upgrade on my main, and have had to feed some of them gold already. I suspect Rainer is talking about renewing morale with 100k AD earned every day.

@plasticbat

Craft is only one part of the game. Should every part of the game please the majority of the players ?
    If the majority says "epic dungeons are too hard", should the devs decrease the difficulty ? If majority says "hardcore mode is not hardcore enough", should they increase the difficulty ? If the majority says "craft is not worth the invest" should they simplify ?

What you just did was to engage in the logical fallacy known as the strawman argument, i.e. suppose that someone else has put forth a certain position and then argue against that imagined position.

No, I don't think that "every part of every game should please most of its players" is a sound statement. However, there should be a really good and obvious reason to design something that's tedious, a drain on resources and illogical and make it the centerpiece of a major part of a game. People having more gold than they know what to do with isn't that kind of reason.

@plasticbat

Depending on how you want to drive your boat, you can have formulas (yeah maybe not only one, you really expected it to be as simple ?) to make indicators for the craft. But as any indicator, they only show you something very specific.
    In IRL industry, you have a lot of indicators : for production efficiency you can look at Overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) or Total Effective Equipment Performance (TEEP). Both shows you 2 "vues" of how well your industrial workshop runs.
    If it doesn't work well, then you can check "formulas inside the formula". Maybe it's a quality problem ? (%good pieces). Maybe it's a performance problem ? (the machine should make 120pces/h but only make 80 [bad + good] ). Maybe is the availability bad (too much breaks/changing productions) ?

But having a 99% OOE or a 90% TEEP doesn't mean your manufacturing business is earning money, though it's should somehow be part of how you calculate the sale prices.

And the fact that I don't find any of that challenging or exciting is why I gave up on a double major in accounting after only 9 credit hours.

@plasticbat

You don't seem to have clearly define any goal or what crafting should mainly mean or bring to you. That's, in my opinion, the main problem you have.

Who do you really want to be as a crafter-player ? Judging by your last answers, i expect you to answer "I don't want to be a crafter-player anymore", and it would be ok. You don't have to, as I don't have to do dungeons/bashing monsters during all my playtime.

I'm not sure how you're drawing your conclusions, but I want crafting to be something I don't have to check in on every few hours because I have a job and I need sleep. I want crafting to be something other than just another struggle against the RNG, which (besides godawful boss encounters based on control/immunity/instadeath and making class balance worse by the month) is most of what the devs seem to produce.

I think it's pretty simple to say that crafting should be a way to profitably and sustainably produce items to augment a player's AD and RP income without having to tediously check in on every workshop every 2-3 hours, tediously sell crafted items for gold to keep the RP workshops running, and do frakking SPREADSHEETS to keep track of it all. This is a game, not a Kafka novel.
  • greyjay1greyjay1 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    @feanor70118
    I think you totally missed @tchefi#6735 's point.

Regarding your argument about logging in every few hours:
    After you found the production chains that work best for you, you log in once a day for 30-60mins and make a lot of AD.

Regarding profit in general:
    You don't understand how that actually works, if it would be extremely easy and everyone could do it, then none could profit.
    Simplified you need to have something that the majority of your competitors don't have (or more than them), the most important factors would be AD, know-how and time.
    If everyone would be at the same level in these factors, then none could profit.

PS:
    1.) The only tedious thing in my opinion is, that I have to throw a party every 30sec to replenish workshop morale..
    (Which I can't right now because my workshop is bugged out >_>)
    2.) You can write a spreadsheet that helps you maximize your profit in a couple of hours, maybe even minutes if you don't have to parse recipes and know excel (doesn't need to be super fancy).
  • greyjay1greyjay1 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    @feanor70118
    Well, the reason why I didn't post actual numbers is, that I didn't want to boast with how much AD I make, so I made a general approach.
    I really didn't mean to insult you, English is not my first language, if you feel insulted, then I'm honestly sorry.
    And yea, I don't think that I'm superior, everyone who puts some time into the system and has the starting capital can do what I do and even more and better than me. This time of the year I'm usually busy with work and don't have much time to play, someone who plays longer than 1h per day can easily outnumber me.

Here are some informations, hopefully good enough to back up my statements:

I do a lot of testing on preview, not only professions, also class mechanics and builds.
    .. upgraded my workshop to max level on the first day and had epic artisans with >= 20% dab hand and recycle in every profession (except tailoring and leatherworking) since then.
    (recycle, dab hand, high proficiency and high focus are actually important for masterworkers, speed and commission are secondary)
    .. was making on average well over 5m AD per day with investing 30-60mins of playtime. (Until the bug)
    .. earned well over 100m ad since then (net profit, excluding speculation profit from stacking mats beforehand).

Here is a small part of the spreadsheet I am using (not updated in a week).
    First number is the averaged net profit I made on a sale of a +0 or +1 item, second is roi in %:

("2" in my notation refers to the last MW tier)

Idk, 5m ad in less than an hour per day, is that how you waste time?
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    To sum it up, only a few players are getting even richer with the new crafting system, while the rest is just screwed...

Professions have to be reworked again, so that everyone can profit from them.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I don't care to profit, I'd just like to be able to gear my characters with better stuff.
    As it is, I have to spend all my saved-up AD to buy half of one weapon set as it's exceedingly expensive to even get to being able to craft for myself (no good tools ensures I fail and waste expensive resources...)
    Add on top maybe 1-2 sets of neck/waist and you can tell this is meant only for endgamers/rich players.
    Sure, it'll even out over time, but those of us who have not had the luxury of exploits/leadership armies/luck with luckboxes/years of events and just playing/whatever have no chance at gearing up until mod 16.
    Something's definitely wrong when you can sell items for 8mils on a daily basis.
    Well, they did say crafting was not going to be for everyone, but the results are in the same niche, soo...
    Since that's all this mod offers, what the HAMSTER is the rest of us expected to do?
    Get on the forums and "female variant of a dog"? Check! (screw you, filter)
    Play other games? On it!
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    If it was so easy that everyone could profit, then you would be measuring the profit in copper pieces because of competition.
    greyjay1 said:

@feanor70118
    Well, the reason why I didn't post actual numbers is, that I didn't want to boast with how much AD I make, so I made a general approach.
    I really didn't mean to insult you, English is not my first language, if you feel insulted, then I'm honestly sorry.
    And yea, I don't think that I'm superior, everyone who puts some time into the system and has the starting capital can do what I do and even more and better than me. This time of the year I'm usually busy with work and don't have much time to play, someone who plays longer than 1h per day can easily outnumber me.

Here are some informations, hopefully good enough to back up my statements:

I do a lot of testing on preview, not only professions, also class mechanics and builds.
    .. upgraded my workshop to max level on the first day and had epic artisans with >= 20% dab hand and recycle in every profession (except tailoring and leatherworking) since then.
    (recycle, dab hand, high proficiency and high focus are actually important for masterworkers, speed and commission are secondary)
    .. was making on average well over 5m AD per day with investing 30-60mins of playtime. (Until the bug)
    .. earned well over 100m ad since then (net profit, excluding speculation profit from stacking mats beforehand).

Here is a small part of the spreadsheet I am using (not updated in a week).
    First number is the averaged net profit I made on a sale of a +0 or +1 item, second is roi in %:

("2" in my notation refers to the last MW tier)

Idk, 5m ad in less than an hour per day, is that how you waste time?

Actually, yes. I wouldn't have a use for 100 million AD. At most I could spend about 30 million to buy new +1 weapons, get a cool mount I don't already have with a combat bonus that isn't all that great and improve my DPS by 3%. I'd rather obtain those in a different way.

No one is surprised or impressed that someone who's selling mastercrafted items can make money. If you were willing to rack up the enormous amount of AD, guild marks and invest either a ton of time and failure or a ton of AD to finish mastercrafting, great. Now you have the ability to make imaginary money in an imaginary world that you don't have the time to play a game in. So if you think that's fun, congratulations. It sounds pretty pointless to me and it has nothing to do with the faults in this system for the vast majority of players.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    The Basic problem is TOO MANY SELLERS (about 14 Million) and not enough buyers (closer to 10,000.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    We need about 5 or 10 Currency Markets to sell our goods in and we need to sell them at similar high prices and a way to punish the undercutters aka lowballers). Just like in real life, the Hanseatic Mercanile league was able to keep prices stable for 400-500 years. The New professions system can't keep prices stable for TWO WEEKS.

Punishment must be an option.