test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Digitizing Old D&D Hard Copy Modules via the Foundry

First post, so no hating, please. I've spent some time here in the Foundry Forum for PCs and have not found what will help me avoid a "3rd Party" issue with creating a Campaign. I want to take a set of D&D (AD&D), Wizards of the Coast, old modules from the old-fashioned PnP way of playing D&D and create it in the Foundry. Is this allowed without retribution?

Comments

• iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    The editor is very linear about questline. You don't get much variation in direction, logic, or the choice to have variables affect player decisions. You can essentially recreate quests of the type seen during the leveling process. I think someone once did Temple of Elemental Evil, but I'm not certain how successful they were.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • severynn#1290 severynn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Right now, I'm looking to see if there are copyright laws I need to be worried about since I am using D&D material within a D&D on-line game that ARC will immediately own as soon as I finish/publish it (or sooner).
  • boydsto#9967 boydsto Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    If I can add my thoughts on this. If copyright/plagiarism claims are a worry, they would mainly come into play if you planned on copying word for word sections of text, or exactly duplicating ideas in the module, which really was n't the purpose of them. The modules were meant to be a foundation for you to build your own story upon. You'll need to do a lot of that already, as others have mentioned, the modules were designed with player free will and imagination and decision making in mind, whereas foundry missions are going to be a lot more linear with at best lots of multiple choice to predetermined conclusions.

Normally I always say, if in doubt, don't do it. But, if you really have a great story tell, it would certainly be worth the little extra time to just contact Wizards of the Coast and ask them directly. Lay out what you ant to do and let them know what its for. I have always had great conversations and results in talking with their customer service dept, so it never hurts to just shoot them a message.

Anyway, just my two cents, good luck with the module, and maybe i'll get to do a run through of it some day. :)
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    I did some of them:
    "The lost seneschal campaign." An old D&D campign from 1989, Tall Tales of the Wee Folk.

And

"La Corona de la Sombra" (Crown of shadow) from Fantasy Flight Games based on the world of Midnight.

Not a single word from anyone, they don't care.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.