test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions while leveling?

taxed2013taxed2013 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Hi, somewhat new to the game, I played back when it first came out, now I've decided to come back and I am confused. I see all sorts of guides for endgame companions, best to use, gear etc. but nothing really about which are best while leveling a paladin. Are they the same or are there different companions to use while leveling?

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Pick anything, as anything that isn't level 70 stuff isn't particularly hard, and especially not on OP.

If you are thinking about going to endgame, I'd consider a Con Artist for how easy it is to gear and how useful it is in endgame.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you have any of the Zen store packs with account wide pets, those are great for leveling as they are free and anything blue or purple quality will last long enough to be useful. But ultimately, slot Radiant enchants in both Offense and Defense slots on yourself, spec Protection and use Templar's Wrath and you should be fine with any pet.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • robertjdefendirobertjdefendi Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I have a question along these lines. I see a lot of talk about the Chultan Tiger a perfect endgame comp for the protection pally. I have a Vicious Dire Wolf. When I compare the two on the wiki, my noob brain finds them fairly comparable. How do they really compare? I ask, of course, because the Vicious Dire Wolf is account unlocked for me. :)
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    These 2 differ vastly. The active bonus on the wolf does not give 5% dmg, nor the 5% run speed for 20 seconds. The 10% debuff from the active is absent. The slots (ring/ring/neck) are different, looks like the wolf has waist, neck, neck, which seems sub-optimal. 3 offensive slots ain't bad. TBH I see a lot more in common between the chultan tiger and the razorwood companion then I do the wolf. And even then you wouldn't normally run the razor wood as summoned.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • robertjdefendirobertjdefendi Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks. I'm new to reading the stat blocks so I missed the active entirely and I didn't get the implications of ring vs waist at all. Just the sort of thing I needed someone who knew the game to tell me to look for!
  • yppo#1635 yppo Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    If you have tons of ZEN to spend go for the chultian tiger. You will use it probably forever. If you don't want to buy it (2500 without discount) I would suggest the conartist as well. It is cheap and I still even use it in endgame as active companion. The 3 rings are easy to fill and you have many alternatives for different stats there. The debuff is nice and 2 offensive and 1 defensive slot are not to bad.

Don't forget to get bonding runestones and equip them in all 3 slots there.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Another OP friendly end-game pet is the Harper Bard. It is largely ignored. It provides a nice buff to the OP and party. Biggest issue I have with it soloing is that it stands too far from the mobs, so you will not get combat advantage. But in a group, it is arguably your best comp.