test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Basic Economics and the new Crafting system.

krysnytekrysnyte Member Posts: 47 Arc User
I completely understand the reason this poor girl was out of business and "hemorrhaging" money. It costs almost three times more to make ANYTHING in this system than it does to sell it. The commission price for something that sells for 50 copper costs 75 SILVER just to commission, not including the commission for gathering the ingredients.

For example, Horn Glue sells for 63 coppers. Costs 44 Silver 24 copper, just as commission. On top of that there is two ingredients. Beast Horn and Aberrant hide, which you either have to buy or commission again. Horns is 56 coppers, and Hide is 62.

So we are making an end product that sells for 63 Coppers, but costs 45 silver 42 coppers to even make. And that's not even including if you commission the gathering on it.

I think you need to look at whoever did this and send them to a basic economics class. This business will definitely end up like it did before. No one should have to just sink a ton of their own pocket money into a business. This may not be 'real life' but come on, this is ridiculous.

Comments

• If you look at the recipe lists for each profession skill, you will see that the NPC buy value of each of the component materials generally equals the profession skill rank of the recipe. So, for example, Linseed Oil, which requires level 19 Alchemy skill, is valued at 19c - Adamantine Ingot, Lvl 68 Blacksmithing, is 68copper. The exception are character equipment pieces that are priced based on the tier of the item - lowest being 11s87c and the next tier is 25s7c.

The only exceptions to this *were* the Alchemy supplements (Workman's Balm, etc.) all of which sold for 25s. This was the *only* direct means of paying yourself/recovering the commission costs directly. Unfortunately the devs appear to have taken this away from the crafters (after encouraging everyone to take up Alchemy with all the Artisans as a hint that these were needed to offset the costs...) and are now priced differently by tier. As I needed to reload NW after the patch failed to recover itself ... I don't know the specifics yet.

So, yes, the numbers were just creatively set based on craft rank and had nothing to do with economics or long term survival as a crafter. Much like the SSTC Commission prices are so low there is no logical recourse except selling on the AH and paying in AD. I had hoped that at least would be a fun exercise in waiting for the run of X swords to come up again to sell all you made this week ... nope.

Happy drake hide hunting!
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    krysnyte said:

I completely understand the reason this poor girl was out of business and "hemorrhaging" money. It costs almost three times more to make ANYTHING in this system than it does to sell it. The commission price for something that sells for 50 copper costs 75 SILVER just to commission, not including the commission for gathering the ingredients.

For example, Horn Glue sells for 63 coppers. Costs 44 Silver 24 copper, just as commission. On top of that there is two ingredients. Beast Horn and Aberrant hide, which you either have to buy or commission again. Horns is 56 coppers, and Hide is 62.

So we are making an end product that sells for 63 Coppers, but costs 45 silver 42 coppers to even make. And that's not even including if you commission the gathering on it.

I think you need to look at whoever did this and send them to a basic economics class. This business will definitely end up like it did before. No one should have to just sink a ton of their own pocket money into a business. This may not be 'real life' but come on, this is ridiculous.

That is why you need to find another sucker to buy Horn Glue. Oh! I am not talking about players but the lady who is running the trading company (which is probably going down for buying too many Horn Glue). Small store vendor probably cannot tell Rolex from Timex and only pay the price of a Timex.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Much like the SSTC Commission prices are so low there is no logical recourse except selling on the AH and paying in AD.

You in a hurry? Workshop is meant to be an ongoing project. Not "I need it NOW!"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    @asterdahl @mimicking#6533 just want to point out its not worth start masterworking unless i pay from my wallet for a crafting item that needs more to be crafted than the priceits is being sold so players never profit from sells of crafted items, basic its a scam all over again, you guys decided to remove the healing and buffing pots from mobs when they were the gold income for players, nerf items from crafting that were giving gold back to player(alquimy crafting) and i honestly tell you im not wasting my time crafting stuff that costs 2x/3x the values it can be sold, player need tons of gold, specially for removing bondings, weapons enchantments and armor echantments, and also you forget about new players in the game whats are you guys doing to the gold economy of this game, GOLD spammer are back in again are you sleeping while working or something. we will follow the same path of the previous ower of the workshop.

PS: this is not a threat post, its player dissapointed with how bad you all deliver stuff in new module by destroying the economy.
    if im not making any gold profit from crafting not worth at all bothering to v«level up any professions.
    edited November 2018
    arcanjo86 said:

if im not making any gold profit from crafting not worth at all bothering to v«level up any professions.

Not every item give gold profit but there are a few that do.
    I created a new character with no help from other characters last Thursday. He did not receive any gold from his brother/sister. Everything is more or less from scratch especially regarding new profession (I used him as a test bed for learning new profession).
    He obtained about 5 gold from beginner quests and AI quests (basically selling junk he picked up from floor).

Now, he has about 40 gold and they are from profession. He gains 10 gold (after cost) per day for leveling up profession (basically making the same thing again and again). I think he can make 20 gold per day if I use the moral effectively on him. Anyway, I am still learning and elementary.

So, it is possible to make gold profit. Not a lot but possible.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

arcanjo86 said:

I created a new character with no help from other characters last Thursday. He did not receive any gold from his brother/sister. Everything is more or less from scratch especially regarding new profession (I used him as a test bed for learning new profession).
    He obtained about 5 gold from beginner quests and AI quests (basically selling junk he picked up from floor).

Now, he has about 40 gold and they are from profession. He gains 10 gold (after cost) per day for leveling up profession (basically making the same thing again and again). I think he can make 20 gold per day if I use the moral effectively on him. Anyway, I am still learning and elementary.

they nerfed the alquimy item r10 that was a good way for new player to get their professions going, after they removed potion from dropping on mobs they killed the new player gold income. now i'm gonna keep my gold to when i need to remove bonding, weapons enchantments, armor enchantments and normal enchantments when switch toons, make ad and buy stuff from ah, not wasting my time with their bs of crafting prices, sell mw ingredients and make more ad each day, ah prices are dropping for the items i need, the new lock box is gonna kill the 2xrp stones event when players test it that new lockbox drops dont count to 2xrp stone event(speculation for now, they put on zen store a rp stone pack that does that(no 2xdrops on this kind of event)) they are gonna kill the game with more of this stupid scams they do all the time, if the company wants money release more classes so player can spend some money on them, the GOLD spammer in pe are back and im laughing so hard that its all coming back again, theu«y were selling prominence, gold, etc. LOL.
  • krysnytekrysnyte Member Posts: 47 Arc User

arcanjo86 said:

Can you share your secret, because I cannot find anything that is making a profit as of right now.
  • drinkvernors#7197 drinkvernors Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

[Snip ...]

Can you share your secret, because I cannot find anything that is making a profit as of right now.
    All the information is there. I invite you to spend the countless hours analyzing the recipes and commission data to determine the answer *yourself* as the rest of the dedicated crafters have. It takes work, time, spreadsheets and patience, but the answer is there ... and hopefully not handed to you on a silver platter in a public forum.

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

The short answer is - low level blue gears.

The long answer - there is a player, @rainer#8575 , that makes youtube videos. He tests all these things and makes the most beautiful spreadsheets. Check him out.

Personally, I make my gold after mod 15 the same way I did before. Buying consumables, mostly potions, from the AH & selling for gold. Green and blue gear (level 60+) are also good items to convert AD to gold. Treasure drops, Platinum Bowls for example, can also be used but beware there is some market speculation involved. Make sure you check the prices before you buy. Some players choose to farm these things rather than buying them. Any zone starting at Elemental Evil is a good place to start, but this depends on your play time. It can take several hours to accumulate the gold you could buy off of the AH for 1 leveling dungeon run. Finally, if you need more gold, you should be wearing the Vistani Arm gear with a Radient Enchantment (rank 7 or greater)slotted.
    Post edited by wintersmoke on

krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

[Snip ...]

All the information is there. I invite you to spend the countless hours analyzing the recipes and commission data to determine the answer *yourself* as the rest of the dedicated crafters have. It takes work, time, spreadsheets and patience, but the answer is there ... and hopefully not handed to you on a silver platter in a public forum.

Not helpful. At all.
    krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

Basically what wintersmoke said. I also PM you.

krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

Oooh… what did I miss?
  • krysnytekrysnyte Member Posts: 47 Arc User

krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

[Snip ...]

Yea because THAT is why I PLAY a GAME, to do spreadsheets... I have a job where I have to work, I don't wanna come home to relax and then do HAMSTER spreadsheets. Are you HAMSTER kidding me right now?
    edited November 2018

krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

Oooh… what did I miss?
    No, you did not miss anything. You are much more knowledgeable than me in this subject (and probably other subjects). I am still elementary for the new profession. I PM'ed him before you wrote your post.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I agree with the general sentiment that the new professions system has sucked the life out of any enjoyment of doing it. Sure, its doable, you can make AD off of it if you work it, but it sucks big harry balls.
    It's a lot more enjoyable than before. Actually get to interact with the workers some.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I've simply abandoned professions as for me it is no longer worth the time and effort...

Players can either play the game - or they can spend the bulk of their time trying to first figure out how to do the new professions gig, then make multiple trips back to Protector's Enclave to empty their refinement items box until they can construct Sgt. Knox's box which I presume (since obviously I haven't made it that far) will let players collect gathered materials without having to return to Protector's Enclave every time.

Then after having already progressed our professions workers proficiency once, we find ourselves having to progress their proficiency again, hopefully to arrive at the levels were were at prior to the professions change...

Sorry, I came to Neverwinter to run the maps, do quests and campaigns and take part in special events, not spend time trying to do something that can only be done in PE, that used to be accomplished at the click of a button from anywhere at any time.

Professions were a favorable side gig especially since I could direct professions efforts and collect results from anywhere while playing the game... Since that's no longer an option, or more correctly not an option without jumping through a bunch of additional hoops that take an excessive amount of time away from actually doing what I thought we were supposed to be doing - playing the game - I just said "thanks - but no thanks" to the new professions mod, at least for the time being.

As I see it Neverwinter has turned a bunch of former adventurers into merchants, directing their professions people to produce items they can sell for a profit... For those players with the knowledge and inclination to do that and also play the game, more power to them.

For me and a lot of other people I've spoken with, professions is something we might be interested in figuring out... later, maybe - if we get bored with actually playing the game.

My2¢
    DD~
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I find professions significantly more profitable than before, so..no complaints from me
    Hoping for improvements...

krysnyte said:

arcanjo86 said:

Oooh… what did I miss?
    No, you did not miss anything. You are much more knowledgeable than me in this subject (and probably other subjects). I am still elementary for the new profession. I PM'ed him before you wrote your post.
    Actually, I did miss one thing. Scroll of Fate: Riches I didn't mention them because they have jumped up on the AH with the gold shortage. Luckily, they will be farmable when the Winter Festival returns!
    dionchi said:

I've simply abandoned professions as for me it is no longer worth the time and effort...

Players can either play the game - or they can spend the bulk of their time trying to first figure out how to do the new professions gig, then make multiple trips back to Protector's Enclave to empty their refinement items box until they can construct Sgt. Knox's box which I presume (since obviously I haven't made it that far) will let players collect gathered materials without having to return to Protector's Enclave every time.

Then after having already progressed our professions workers proficiency once, we find ourselves having to progress their proficiency again, hopefully to arrive at the levels were were at prior to the professions change...

Sorry, I came to Neverwinter to run the maps, do quests and campaigns and take part in special events, not spend time trying to do something that can only be done in PE, that used to be accomplished at the click of a button from anywhere at any time.

Professions were a favorable side gig especially since I could direct professions efforts and collect results from anywhere while playing the game... Since that's no longer an option, or more correctly not an option without jumping through a bunch of additional hoops that take an excessive amount of time away from actually doing what I thought we were supposed to be doing - playing the game - I just said "thanks - but no thanks" to the new professions mod, at least for the time being.

As I see it Neverwinter has turned a bunch of former adventurers into merchants, directing their professions people to produce items they can sell for a profit... For those players with the knowledge and inclination to do that and also play the game, more power to them.

For me and a lot of other people I've spoken with, professions is something we might be interested in figuring out... later, maybe - if we get bored with actually playing the game.

My2¢

The Sending Stone that comes from the Box for Knox reward does let you manage your crafting from anywhere you are playing. Well, almost anywhere, I haven't tried doing it in a dungeon yet
    dionchi said:

If you have VIP, going to the workshop is easy. You don't need to go to PE at all but you do need to go to the workshop.
    The workshop acts like an empty SH. After you logout, the game will put you back where you were.
    Since I play multiple toon (as I switch toon a lot), I don't need to deal with going back.
    i.e. jump to Workshop, logout. Do another toon. When come back to the first toon, he will be where he was.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

dionchi said:

My2¢

The Sending Stone that comes from the Box for Knox reward does let you manage your crafting from anywhere you are playing. Well, almost anywhere, I haven't tried doing it in a dungeon yet
    I have. It works there, too.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited November 2018

dionchi said:

If you have VIP, going to the workshop is easy. You don't need to go to PE at all but you do need to go to the workshop.
    The workshop acts like an empty SH. After you logout, the game will put you back where you were.
    Since I play multiple toon (as I switch toon a lot), I don't need to deal with going back.
    i.e. jump to Workshop, logout. Do another toon. When come back to the first toon, he will be where he was.
    This. I put my characters in fast-loading places so that, if I need to, I can signpost to the Workshop quickly on login.
  • yppo#1635 yppo Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    One of my main issues with the new artisans is the more or less total uselessness of epic and even rare artisans. Commission cost for epic artisans are usually just way to high for the little more stats they might offer. Right now they are the first ones to get dismissed if I need more space for new artisans.

I would suggest to increase their basic statpoints. Maybe up to 600 skill/focus for epic artisans and 500 for rare ones. This way I would at least consider paying higher commision and use them instead of cheap common ones for highlevel and/or harder tasks.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Why do you think the city gave your a whole business for free? All that money you HAMSTER away in commissions and taxes end up back in Neverembers pocket in the end.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    In the old system a common (white) professional was the basic worker, they didn't lose you any money, but they maybe made you a bit.

The Uncommon (green) professional was like the Veteran, better in all ways from the Common (white) worker.

The Rare (blue) professional was the experienced worker, better by far than the Uncommon worker in all ways.

The Epic (purple) professional was best in slot (bis), the preferred worker for all tasks.

Now, just because the artisan is blue or purple usually means that they are WORSE than most of the good whites.

Off the cuff (and remember the devs have implemented at least 2 of my off the cuff proposals):

First, ALL blue artisans MUST BE BETTER BY AT LEAST +25% than the worst common (white) artisans on COMMISSION AND SPEED.

Second, ALL purple artisans MUST BE BETTER BY AT LEAST +50% than the worst blue (rare) artisans on COMMISSION AND SPEED.

Third, Reset all the 'alleged' Legacy artisans and make the common Legacy artisans 25% better than the worst regular common artisans, make rare Legacy Artisans at least 25% better than the worst regular rare artisans and make the epic Legacy artisans at least 25% better than regular epic artisans. These are the professionals that we worked with, some of us, for years on the old professions and that experience made them better.

Fourth, to make this work common (white) artisan COMMISSIONS will be limited to 0%, +25% and +50%.
    Commissions:

White workers: 0% to -50%, happy to be working

Rare and epic workers: I can see these people costing a bit more on the commission scale if their stats were in all ways better than the white workers and pretty much guaranteed to produce +1 product. Otherwise, the only thing it correlates to is the worker's ego and thinking they are worth much more than they are.