test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

stop the admin message

welshdemonwelshdemon Member Posts: 48 Arc User
hi everyone I know the devs will not look at this but what the heck.I am so sick and tired of seeing all the orange messages of ppl winning stuff from lockbox I wish the devs would either stop it or allow us to stop seeing the message. It is so annoying because when I am fighting I keep seeing orange message across the screen and even mor eso when I am trying to talk and my chat box is full of ornage admin messages.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    You can move the message on your UI. I put the admin messages on the bottom right of my screen so I don't get distracted on combat.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I put the admin messages across the top right of the screen myself since about the only thing up there is the mini-map and that is the least used area for me... but yeah, hit ESC, go to "rearrange HUD" and move that bar wherever you want. Unfortunately there is no way to "mute" admin messages in the chat window.

I guess the developers think it is akin to free advertising to encourage people to buy keys or VIP, even though it is my suspicion it doesn't work as well as they think it does... actually it discourages me from doing either as I don't want to have my character included advertising what I received in one of those annoying admin messages.
    DD~
  • aixis2000aixis2000 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It shall only trigger ppl´s greed and make them buy keys as fast as they can...Im pretty sure changing this will be first on their to do list
  • fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Can't tell if developer is trolling or...
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Me thinks he's trolling...I am envisioning him telling them to implement these messages to scroll horizontally slowly across the screen...as the scrolling bar rifter was referring to is what you already see in chat on launch with people using up a lot of keys for the new lockboxes. At least that's what I inferred. I think @mimicking#6533 took it a different direction entirely
    edited November 2018
    aixis2000 said:

It shall only trigger ppl´s greed and make them buy keys as fast as they can...Im pretty sure changing this will be first on their to do list

Yeah, I highly doubt that repetitive, annoying interruptions to people actually trying to play the game - or who are new to the game, is going to "trigger ppl's greed" and entice them to run right out and buy a bunch of keys or VIP... especially once they find out how many of those lockboxes most players usually have to open (yeah I know it's supposed to be random) to get one of those messages to appear.

But that's just my opinion.

DD~
  • aixis2000aixis2000 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    @dionchi ...is this a sneaky Marsian attack cause u sound not familair with human behavior? My post was meant ironic and ofc no one will run right out and buy a bunch of keys or VIP. but the constant admin messages shall show only one thing: other ppl got something cool out of those lockboxes u could have it 2...just buy keys...The way they do it seems to be very successful during the last five years so they wont do a f..k to change it cause some player think its annoying..
    Its meant to new player and all other as well even if they know that the chance is ~ 1:2000 to get a legendary mount out of a lockbock...gambling...not sure how many million ppl hope to win the lottery every week even if they know how low their chances are
    Post edited by aixis2000 on
  • naoqueroforumnaoqueroforum Member Posts: 225 Arc User

Thanks Rifter- I like the scrolling bar idea and will run it by the team.
    Cheers
    M.K.

FACEPALM

Can't tell if developer is trolling or...

At this point, how is anyone going to tell if he's trolling or if he is serious? Given the history of how badly they understand some of the game concepts (debuffs for example), how some powers work (infinite griffon, broodofwai "fixed", endless list here...), I'm inclined to believe he took it as a suggestion.

And in the case he is trolling but even then decides to run the idea by the team as a joke...

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I don't think Foss was trolling. I think rather than having the messages pop up, he was thinking of having them permanently displayed on a scroll window. Perhaps one you could somehow tuck aside?

FWIW, even though I dislike the messages myself, I understand that they are largely an advertisement for new players to purchase zen (by getting them excited about lockboxes). And Zen purchases kind of keep the game afloat. So if they advertise less, I'm sure they'd need to compensate in some other way to drive sales...

Also note that by fiddling with game files you can suppress the messages on PC. But I find that can be a bit much effort so just move the notification UI area to the side.
    edited November 2018
    aixis2000 said:

@dionchi ...is this a sneaky Marsian attack cause u sound not familair with human behavior? My post was meant ironic and ofc no one will run right out and buy a bunch of keys or VIP. but the constant admin messages shall show only one thing: other ppl got something cool out of those lockboxes u could have it 2...just buy keys...The way they do it seems to be very successful during the last five years so they wont do a f..k to change it cause some player think its annoying..
    Its meant to new player and all other as well even if they know that the chance is ~ 1:2000 to get a legendary mount out of a lockbock...gambling...not sure how many million ppl hope to win the lottery every week even if they know how low their chances are

Irony doesn't translate well to forum posts, so I hope you'll understand and forgive me for missing it.

But I agree, the admin messages are misleading since they only show the people who open lockboxes and get really good stuff, not the thousands of lockboxes opened without those grand prizes they advertise...

But still is it necessary to have those messages appear in the Chat Window AND blazoned across the HUD?

My vote would be to retain the HUD messages and do away with the Chat Window display or at least do away with the Chat Window admin messages when a player is in a party doing a run. At least then players can conduct and follow actual player conversations without having to suspect they might have missed something important or informative and have to scroll back up through the admin messages to check.

Yeah I know player preference, even a majority player preference probably won't change this since obviously someone at Cryptic thinks this is a revenue generator for them... but if enough players become sufficiently annoyed by something like this, it might just turn out to be the opposite.

That's why a lot of media and social media sites, even though they have popups and advertisements, usually try to put those advertisements in an unobtrusive, yet still noticeable portion of the open window, not usually in between active conversations or blazoned across the center of the screen.

And not to put too fine a point on it but since this is a "Player Feedback" forum and many have posted their disfavor of those annoying "orange messages", I just wanted to toss in my 2¢.
    dupeks said:

I don't think Foss was trolling. I think rather than having the messages pop up, he was thinking of having them permanently displayed on a scroll window. Perhaps one you could somehow tuck aside?

FWIW, even though I dislike the messages myself, I understand that they are largely an advertisement for new players to purchase zen (by getting them excited about lockboxes). And Zen purchases kind of keep the game afloat. So if they advertise less, I'm sure they'd need to compensate in some other way to drive sales...

Also note that by fiddling with game files you can suppress the messages on PC. But I find that can be a bit much effort so just move the notification UI area to the side.

Your suggestion about moving the admin messages works for the HUD, but has absolutely no effect on the admin messages in the Chat Window.

Trying to get myself in the mindset of a new player, you know what I think would be a better advertisement or enticement for players to buy VIP or Keys?

They already have a "first time buyers pack" for players purchasing Zen for the first time, perhaps a 40% discount -or- 25 additional keys and 10 reroll tokens for players buying VIP for the first time...

Once a player purchases, uses and finds out the benefit of VIP chances are they would be more inclined to do so again as opposed to seeing the admin messages and endless scrolling of who gets a legendary whatever from opening a lockbox... especially if they eventually decide to buy VIP and get nothing 'admin message worthy' from their first purchase.
    DD~
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I love it when the game lead doesn't poke his head into the forums for ages, and when he finally comments it's not on class nerfs/balancing, the implementation of the professions system, or any other major game issue.

No...he decides to speak up in a thread about admin messages.
    edited November 2018

I love it when the game lead doesn't poke his head into the forums for ages, and when he finally comments it's not on class nerfs/balancing, the implementation of the professions system, or any other major game issue.

Just because it appears admin messages isn't a huge concern to you, that doesn't mean it isn't to others...

I think some people would just be pleased to know that developers are reading anything posted on the forum, because chances are if someone's reading and responding to this thread, they are probably reading, even if they aren't responding, on other threads.

Or at least that's the way I think of it.
    Post edited by dionchi on
    DD~
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    dionchi said:

Just because it appears admin messages isn't a huge concern to you, that doesn't mean it isn't to others...
    Oh okay. I'll bite since you offered it up.

Yes, you are correct in the assumption that admin messages are so low on my list of issues that they don't even warrant placement on a list.

Sure, they're an issue for some people. I never said the issue may or may not be a "huge" concern for someone. Just not an issue for me in the slightest.

And would you honestly rate admin messages at the TOP of the list of issues you want some dev feedback on?

Would you even say it's one of the top 10 issues you would want feedback on in the game?

The point wasn't "is this a huge issue for a small part of the community". The point was that the dev that spoke up rarely ever shows up on the forums although he's essentially the face of the team. But when he finally comments it's on low hanging fruit.

They do streams and answer almost nothing the community wants answered. They give zero feedback on preview threads for the most part (although certain devs seem a bit more interested in the feedback process).

But that's just my take on it.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    Yeah i find it rather.... meh... that Mr Foss would post this... when say the SW balance feed back thread in Preview.. got zero dev responses, even though there were pages of thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions... except for one that said to post nice thoughts :/

But hey, this is really not surprising to me.

And i know this isn't high on anyone's list of fixes. But I thought I would point out that it was done in one Cryptic game that has the same gambling mechanic that it would be possible to do it in another.

And forgive me, but I am only a network system admin, I thought that Admin message for were like, "real" stuff that the gaming community needed to know, like oh maybe the servers were going down in 15 minutes?