test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion - Play with innkeeper

szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
After Heart of Fire module, leveling professions may be a gold sink especially for new players, then i suggest add a mini-game to all tavern in Neverwinter.
Mini game is simply - Sword Coast Adventures from removed Gateway.
Players who didn't played this mini-game can read about it on - https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Sword_Coast_Adventures

Game have few taverns and can adjust their location and player level with mini-game dungeon tier:

Fallen Tower Tavern (Tower District) - Mini-game dungeon tier I and II
Broken Crown Inn ( Blackdagger Ruins) - Tier III and IV
Driftwood Tavern (Protector Enclave) and Barovia Tavern - Tier V and VI
Moonstone Mask (Protector Enclave) - Event games

The min-game offers puts gold in the innkeeper and win more or lose all, maybe devs will allow more rare and unique prizes like single companion upgrade token or old equipment for transmutation or companion.

Comments

• dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I would settle for a gambling venue in the Moonstone Mask and/or map Taverns and Inns...

Something I would imagine real adventurers would enjoy on a break from their questing and campaigns.

Simple dice gaming tables with a host or hostess using 5 die where players can wager gold and depending on the roll, make more gold - or lose it.

Players will be able to bet from 10-1,000 gold -

Two of the same pip = 1 pair (for a 1-1 payout?)
    Three of the same pips = Trips
    Two identical pips and two different identical pips = 2 pair
    Three of one pip and two of another = Full House
    Four identical pips = 4 of a kind
    Five identical pips = Jackpot, "5 of a kind" and the largest payout, unless they are all sixes, then house automatically wins.

Of course this will be adding another annoying RNG to the game but then something like this I don't think a lot of people will complain about since it will be their decision, their choice, whether or not to take the risk and not something players have no choice but to accept.
    DD~
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    5 dice and a pair gets you your money back?

They may as well just hand out free gold. You will hit three of a kind or two pair more than you will miss a single a pair, and that's all it takes to make money. Anything more is just icing.

I miss Sword Coast Adventures, but I don't know how easy it would be to make it something requiring a logged-in character interacting in-game with something to call up the window still in-game.

Ultimately I think it could just be as simple as adjusting coin drops and project costs. And those seem simpler than adding mini-games.

The takeaway here shouldn't be that I don't like mini-games. I do. I jut don't think that either of these are needed to solve the "problem" that is being talked about.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Just go to IWD PvP zone and use the 20-sided die item to play. If a player doesn't pay up when they lose, kill them. Yes, no gold, but at least it's satisfying :) If people play in groups, it could get really fun!

The incentive NOT to kill someone without cause is... they stop playing with you and no gold for you!
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    kvet said:

Just go to IWD PvP zone and use the 20-sided die item to play. If a player doesn't pay up when they lose, kill them. Yes, no gold, but at least it's satisfying :) If people play in groups, it could get really fun!

The incentive NOT to kill someone without cause is... they stop playing with you and no gold for you!

Oh my goodness! This just gave me the best idea EVAR!!

"A rough tavern on the outskirts of town, where drinks are cheap and life is cheaper..."

It's a large tavern instance where everyone is flagged for PvP! It's just a giant, ongoing bar fight! It would be like the Moonstone Mask for the criminally insane!

I suppose you could have some other minigames too...
    edited November 2018

5 dice and a pair gets you your money back?

They may as well just hand out free gold. You will hit three of a kind or two pair more than you will miss a single a pair, and that's all it takes to make money. Anything more is just icing.

I miss Sword Coast Adventures, but I don't know how easy it would be to make it something requiring a logged-in character interacting in-game with something to call up the window still in-game.

Ultimately I think it could just be as simple as adjusting coin drops and project costs. And those seem simpler than adding mini-games.

The takeaway here shouldn't be that I don't like mini-games. I do. I jut don't think that either of these are needed to solve the "problem" that is being talked about.

OK apparently the question mark after the 1-1 suggestion was a too subtle for you?

The title of the thread is "Play With The Innkeeper", the OP was about some kind of "game" like the one that used to be played on Gateway, which I understood was to be a suggested solution to the "problem", of an how to earn more gold in the game - along with a new kind of entertainment diversion (gambling, dice game, etc.) similar in nature to ones in several Dragonlance and Wizard of the Coast novels and movies.

Adjusting coin drops or cost of course would be another solution, but that is just a different kind of "give away" except for the fact players don't need to do a thing to receive it... Not to mention my suggestion would add something new to game.

It may not be the "simplest" way to take care of the problem but I'm willing to be a lot of players will consider it a much more entertaining, and possibly enticing (especially for new and low level players) alternative.
    pterias said:

Oh my goodness! This just gave me the best idea EVAR!!

"A rough tavern on the outskirts of town, where drinks are cheap and life is cheaper..."

It's a large tavern instance where everyone is flagged for PvP! It's just a giant, ongoing bar fight! It would be like the Moonstone Mask for the criminally insane!

I suppose you could have some other minigames too...

How is this any different than PVP now?

And of course just like PVP now, those players who can afford the best gear, enchantments, mounts, companions and boons will consistently "win", whether or not they actually win the game.

And just like PVP now, most players will lose interest in participating for the same reason.

Just my 2¢
    DD~
    dionchi said:

OK apparently the question mark after the 1-1 suggestion was a too subtle for you?

The title of the thread is "Play With The Innkeeper", the OP was about some kind of "game" like the one that used to be played on Gateway, which I understood was to be a suggested solution to the "problem", of an how to earn more gold in the game - along with a new kind of entertainment diversion (gambling, dice game, etc.) similar in nature to ones in several Dragonlance and Wizard of the Coast novels and movies.

Adjusting coin drops or cost of course would be another solution, but that is just a different kind of "give away" except for the fact players don't need to do a thing to receive it... Not to mention my suggestion would add something new to game.

It may not be the "simplest" way to take care of the problem but I'm willing to be a lot of players will consider it a much more entertaining, and possibly enticing (especially for new and low level players) alternative.

If they are going to spend the time and energy on introducing a mini-game for something, I would like to see a heck of a lot more than a few digital dice that can pay me some gold.

I just do not understand how, in a world where my character can go out and run missions and fight monsters (which you claim is "doing nothing" but most people would recognize as "playing the game") to make gold that pressing a button and watching the RNG decide if I am going to get a few gold pieces or not is "entertaining".

A new Sword Coast Adventures type of game that can pay off in some special currency that I can use to purchase special rewards? That sounds a lot more "entertaining" than "click a button and win (or lose) something that is just laying around waiting to be had by just playing the game.

Even in STO with dabo, it pays off in a special currency used at certain vendors and has some achievements attached to playing it. It's not particularly exciting, though. If it paid off in energy credits I doubt that anyone would play it beyond the achievements/title(s) that some people might want.

But if all they have the time/budget for is a simple dice/slot/roulette type of mini-game then at least let it pay out some special currency for some special rewards.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User

But if all they have the time/budget for is a simple dice/slot/roulette type of mini-game then at least let it pay out some special currency for some special rewards.

developer rng to pay special currency

how many hours to get the token required . . .

rotflmao

developer rng to pay special currency

how many hours to get the token required . . .

rotflmao

Developer RNG to pay what is already available in-game.

How does that justify the man hours?

rotflmao
    edited November 2018

If they are going to spend the time and energy on introducing a mini-game for something, I would like to see a heck of a lot more than a few digital dice that can pay me some gold.

I just do not understand how, in a world where my character can go out and run missions and fight monsters (which you claim is "doing nothing" but most people would recognize as "playing the game") to make gold that pressing a button and watching the RNG decide if I am going to get a few gold pieces or not is "entertaining".

A new Sword Coast Adventures type of game that can pay off in some special currency that I can use to purchase special rewards? That sounds a lot more "entertaining" than "click a button and win (or lose) something that is just laying around waiting to be had by just playing the game.

Even in STO with dabo, it pays off in a special currency used at certain vendors and has some achievements attached to playing it. It's not particularly exciting, though. If it paid off in energy credits I doubt that anyone would play it beyond the achievements/title(s) that some people might want.

Yeah, we'd all like "special currency" and "special rewards", but as I understand it the OP's suggestion, was a suggestion about how to make more gold in the game since it appears gold will become a more precious commodity for just about every player...

The original post was about an alternative method to obtain more "gold" by playing a Gateway kind of game...with "maybe" an occasional rare and unique prize.

My suggestion was about an alternative method to obtain more "gold" by playing a dice game in taverns, inns and Moonstone Mask, but it seems I neglected to include the "maybe" an occasional rare and unique prize, my bad ~

Like I said as I understood it the topic and the OP was about being able to make more gold so that's what I posted about.

Apparently you missed the part of my first post when I said: "it will be a player's choice whether or not to take the risk (play)"...

So if you don't find a dice game "entertaining" or rewarding enough because it primarily gives out gold, might I suggest something along the lines of - don't play, but since Professions in addition to professions supplies are now going to cost gold even the game developers recognize the re may be a need for some players to be able to acquire more gold and I believe they even stated the in-game merchants will be increasing what they pay to purchase certain items...

You want a different kind of game to give out "special currency" or "special rewards"... that's a whole different topic.

Just sayin'
    DD~