test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Won't launch says my Video card needs to support Directx 10

I was playing a few hours ago. Booted up and Microsoft wanted to run it's fall creator update I let it run and now it won't let me launch Neverwinter

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
Directx 12
Driver version 23.21.13.8831
Updated driver in hopes it would help but no luck, I had been running an older version

Comments

• cellablockcellablock Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    whats the name of your pc if its a dell like mine or a pc with intel gpu on board as well check to see if its installed for i had th same issue after updating to fall update it uninstalled the drivers for intel gpu on my laptop for the game reads that one first but runs on my gtx 1050​​
  • vewdew#5199 vewdew Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Thanks, I think you are on to something. It's a custom built PC, Asus Rog Strix Z270F Motherboard and an Asus Nvidia GTX 1050Ti.

It looks like it may have uninstalled them. I don't see any Intel GPU drivers. I tried to manually install the latest ones I could find from ASUS but it failed. I'll keep poking around until I totally fubar everything or I fix this. What a pain. All other games seem to work fine.
  • vewdew#5199 vewdew Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Well I totally fubar'd everything trying to roll back to the pre-update version of Windows 10...it failed during the process and the only option was to reset the OS which basically gives you a new install while keeping your files. It's a royal pain trying to get everything set up again but Neverwinter is working....
  • maci4lifemaci4life Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    Hi i think i had the same issue. it was related to the warning a while back ago when neverwinter was saying i had an older directx, and to upgrade even though i have dx12.

in launcher screen go to settings and paste this into the command line.

-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9

hopefully it works.
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    The command line options "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9" shouldn't work anymore (as of last Spring when we removed DirectX 9 support and switched everyone to DirectX 11).
    Most is the cases we've seen like this (the game thinking you don't have DX11 support) have been when the game is being run in a Windows Compatibility mode. Check the Windows properties (Alt+Enter) of whatever shortcut you use to launch Arc or the Neverwinter launcher.
    If that's not it, please post a screenshot of the error you're seeing so we can figure out what specific process is complaining.
  • crybabycry#9527 crybabycry Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Working on the same issue.. uninstalled today's win update..No go
    Checked compatibility...nope
    edited December 2017
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    My wild guess is that you have an older onboard (on cpu) graphic card like the Intel HD3000 or older, with older drivers. And for some reason windows doesn't swap adapters like it should.

Try few things, first thing check if you indeed have one of those onboard thingies, and try updating it's driver.

Check Neverwinter dir
    NeverWinter\Neverwinter\Live\localdata
    There is a file there, named gameprefs.pref, it's a text file, look up a line "PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName"
    It should list your 1050 there, if not what it says?

You can also delete that file to reset the game settings. Notice that there are several of those dirs and files, you need the one in the live dir.

Also try posting the results of dxdiag (it's a windows thingie), long shot, but maybe it will help to spot something.

Wild guess, but hope it helps.
    Trying a new install of the game..
    Didn't work. Uninstalling graphic drivers didn't work..just wiped windows and am reinstalling game. If not that I'm clueless and suppose I sit out of nw til a fix is found
  • drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    I have this same problem after creators update.
    I have a Dell Inspiron 7347 that has Intel HDGraphics 4400
    Bios A00

Game gives error message that it does not see that I have DirectX 10 or higher.
    dxdiag says that I have DirectX 12

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName "Intel(R( HD Graphics Family"
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.VideoCardVendorID 32902
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoDriverState 0

Help! Please!
    DON'T
    PANIC!
    I reset my computer to factory settings..fixed after losing everything
  • kotoamatzukamikotoamatzukami Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I also have the same problem as drartwhodent.
    OnBoard-GPU Intel and an additional NVIDIA one, both of them up to dateand NVIDIA even newly installed. I already feared that they are kinda damaged although the system ays they are fine, but i dont think it woud happen to many people right after an windows update.
    In the PrefEntry ... is the onboard instead of the other one, but how can you change this? Deleting the file doesnt help, it gets recreated the same way.
    My guess (although i dont really have big knowledge of PC things) is that the update somehow HAMSTER up with the onboard card, because if i turn it off, i actually do get into the game. Settings are HAMSTER, it lags like hell (i mean really really really bad) and you cant actually play since after 1 or 2 clicks the game crashes, but at least the people with VIP can take their keys this way. worked for me today.
    As i said, you cant actually play this way, so i also would really like to know a solution to this problem.

EDIT: oh btw, ANNO 1404 doesnt start aswell, tells me "DirectX failed to initialize" ... on the other hand ANNO 2205 and DotA2 work just fine! its very strange ...
  • jorginhocjorginhoc Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Have the same prob since new Windows 10 update. I have an Asus laptop X552C with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia GeForce GT 710M graphic cards. Until this last update was working just fine. :(
  • veldrin86veldrin86 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I get this error since the last windows update

https://gyazo.com/332eb1bb840b9f55cfd5e979d426f297
  • eeng1eeng1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    Got the same problem, after working for several hours on fixing it, I gave up. So I just rolled windows a path back to the old one, took like 5 minutes, and now everything works fine. Windows wants to install their new path ofc, but no way until theres a fix for this mess.
    eeng1 said:

Got the same problem, after working for several hours on fixing it, I gave up. So I just rolled windows a path back to the old one, took like 5 minutes, and now everything works fine. Windows wants to install their new path ofc, but no way until theres a fix for this mess.

what do you mean by "rolled a path back"?
  • barbaraburnsbarbaraburns Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    Microsoft's fall creator update makes game unplayable for me :(

I turned my desktop into a paperweight trying to get rid of it Tuesday so was on my laptop yesterday .. I had told it not to install it but windows did it anway :) and now I cannot get in game at all :(

A friend has been trying to fix it for me but no fix yet :( .. They made changes .. will NW be making changes to game to allow us back in game?
    Hope you have a great day!
  • baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Ok Listen up, here is the fix (after a few hours of frustration):
    Go to PC Settings - Updates and Security and click Recovery - Go back to previous Build.
    Let the PC do it's thing then restart.
    Then go here ---> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window?utm_source=twitter?utm_source=twitter

Download the Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now. http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Run this - Make sure you select Windows Features 1709 package to hide.

Remove and Reinstall your graphics drivers.

You may need to delete your game prefs file.

In the search window, find gameprefs.pref and delete it.

Play Neverwinter and Carry On.
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
    Unfortunately, i cant do a rollback, so i guess im screwed. Probably have to reset Windows. :(
    ok, i still cant believe that this worked, but it actually did ... found it in the steam forum:

I had the same problem and I gave up on Neverwinter. However Overwatch had the same problem and in searching for a solution I found this from blizzards page when Overwatch gave me the same error I followed the directions (modified for Win10) it worked for Neverwinter for me as well. Hope it helps anyone who gets this error.

You will see this error message if your graphics card doesn't meet our minimum system requirements. If you meet the requirements and still receive this error, make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date.

If your drivers are up to date, try refreshing your desktop resolution:

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type 'control' to filter results, then click Control Panel.
    3. In the upper right, set the Control Panel to View by: Category.
    4. Under Appearance and Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.
    5. Click the drop-down list next to Resolution, move the slider to a different resolution, and then click Apply.
    6. Click Keep.
    7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 but return to the Recommended resolution.
    8. Close the Control Panel and rerun the game.

Original blizzard page.
    https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/30251
  • wundermuckwundermuck Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I had this error tonight on a Dell Laptop, upgraded the Bios and the problem seems to have gone away.
  • drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Oh! Em! Gee! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you kotoamatzukami!
    That simple thing fixed me! Just changing screen resolution got me past the DirectX error and I am entering the game now!
    ps. I just right clicked on the screen and chose 'screen resolution', changed it, said 'keep', then changed it back and said 'keep' again
    Post edited by drartwhodent on
    DON'T
    PANIC!
  • loshdoggloshdogg Member Posts: 1 New User
    I can't believe that worked, but I can finally get into the game again! Thank you so much, kotoamatzukami!!! Also, I actually did it the way drartwhodent said and that worked for me fine. YAY! I have so many podcasts to listen to while I grind dailies!
  • saratovgreensaratovgreen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Try to change screen resolution!
    Если после fall creator update не работает NeverWinter - измените разрешение экрана на меньшее, а потом обратно! Мне помогло