What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions re: preparing for profession changes

2»

Comments

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    pitshade said:

There are rank 20 guilds on Preview

I knew this, I think some were created during the testing of strongholds, I just don't know anybody in one
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User

Basically the question I'm asking is:

Is it better to get 15 adamant ore per guild mark at the bloomery pre mod 15, trade them with the retainer and buy stuff, or am I better saving the guild marks and just buying the stuff at the bloomery post mod 15.

Most of the current crafting materials become unusable on the preview server.
    I can not think of all of the names that they use for everything, but most of your current materials end up becoming things like "spoiled yellow vitriol", "fool's mithral" or "low quality leather hide" that are good for nothing other than trading in to your retainer for points that can be used to get some of the new crafting materials.

I haven't really compared how much a thing in the new system will cost in terms of how many old things it takes to get that something, though. They make crafting materials available for free in order to facilitate crafting and allowing the testers to advance through the system.

So I would give a lot of thought before spending any special currency on what we currently have in the way of crafting materials (I have never been in a guild so I have zero idea what those guild marks are worth in terms of time and effort to get them).
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    Will the content from the leadership box made before mod 15 be changed in mod 15? I know there will be no leadership profession in mod 15. I am thinking about keeping them to after mod 15. There are too many to open all in this 2xRefining Stone.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Yes, the boxes will still be there and work the same according to @asterdahl - you just won’t be able to create more once M15 drops
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    > @minotaur2857 said:
    > There are rank 20 guilds on Preview
    >
    > I knew this, I think some were created during the testing of strongholds, I just don't know anybody in one

Send me a mail in-game, I’ll send you an invite to the Greycloaks guild on preview, it’s rank 20.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    kvet said:

Yes, the boxes will still be there and work the same according to @asterdahl - you just won’t be able to create more once M15 drops

Thank you.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    I have a sinking feeling that we are in for a repeat of the Champions Online Crafting debacle, at least where the Exchange rate goes.
    For those of you who never played that one, or never played before Cryptic became Cryptic World, they had massive (and just terrible) revamp (read: total elimination of) their crafting system. They allowed us to 'convert' the old stuff into new. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING was converted into the same stuff. Ultra rare components that could take literally YEARS to grind significant amounts of were converted into the same low level new stuff as the most basic garbage vendor trash components.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    jorifice1 said:

I have a sinking feeling that we are in for a repeat of the Champions Online Crafting debacle, at least where the Exchange rate goes.
    For those of you who never played that one, or never played before Cryptic became Cryptic World, they had massive (and just terrible) revamp (read: total elimination of) their crafting system. They allowed us to 'convert' the old stuff into new. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING was converted into the same stuff. Ultra rare components that could take literally YEARS to grind significant amounts of were converted into the same low level new stuff as the most basic garbage vendor trash components.

There is absolutely one major change; You get to pick the new materials that you want rather than just being assigned whatever random new materials as you were with CO.

In terms of the values of the crafting materials though, I am not sure.
    You want to find out where it sits now? Move all of your ultra-super-mega-rare stuff to the top of the craft materials bag, take the second tier stuff and put it below that, and then put the more common materials in the bottom.

Copy that character to test and then after you advance to the point in the new crafting line where you can trade in the old materials (it doesn't take long) you can then look for yourself and see how many points you get for redeeming those rarest of things versus how much you get for the more common things, and just as importantly, how much the various new materials cost.

But if you go to the discussion thread this may already have been covered. I haven't read or tested for a few days.

Heck, I may do this myself later, but it's still a better discussion for the test crafting thread.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

jorifice1 said:

There is absolutely one major change; You get to pick the new materials that you want rather than just being assigned whatever random new materials as you were with CO.

In terms of the values of the crafting materials though, I am not sure.
    You want to find out where it sits now? Move all of your ultra-super-mega-rare stuff to the top of the craft materials bag, take the second tier stuff and put it below that, and then put the more common materials in the bottom.

Copy that character to test and then after you advance to the point in the new crafting line where you can trade in the old materials (it doesn't take long) you can then look for yourself and see how many points you get for redeeming those rarest of things versus how much you get for the more common things, and just as importantly, how much the various new materials cost.

But if you go to the discussion thread this may already have been covered. I haven't read or tested for a few days.

Heck, I may do this myself later, but it's still a better discussion for the test crafting thread.
    I have not played the preview server, as my rig is not beastly enuff to support two copies of the game, but one of the dev's replied on the preview thread that items will be replaced by items of the same level in the new system.
    edited October 2018

I have not played the preview server, as my rig is not beastly enuff to support two copies of the game, but one of the dev's replied on the preview thread that items will be replaced by items of the same level in the new system.

I have played, and the system was, last I looked, a simple points-based redemption.

You get points for what you turn in (the old crafting materials), you spend the points to buy the new stuff. It was not the CO-style "click the button and get a random new thing".

Edit: For clarity here, every item might not be available, but you will get to pick from a variety of items in terms of what you can get in exchange for what you had.

So that ultra-rare crafting material that you can only get from doing whatever is probably not on the retainer's list, but if you want to focus on blacksmithing then you can pick which blacksmithing materials you want from the list. They won't just be throwing copper ore, pine logs, and wool cloth at people at random when they turn in their old materials.
    Post edited by mithrosnomore on
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

For clarity here, every item might not be available, but you will get to pick from a variety of items in terms of what you can get in exchange for what you had.

Correct, but there is a flaw.

There are 3 versions of every material. "Character bound" (which you get from the Old->New exchange, "Unbound", which you buy from the material vendor. and "+1", which you typically get through gathering.

Even after you sell/exchange all the obsolete materials you will not have enough space in the Material Satchel
    to hold 3 versions of every resource, so you you should expect constant annoying micromanaging of your resources.

Hoping for improvements...
    edited October 2018
    adinosii said:

For clarity here, every item might not be available, but you will get to pick from a variety of items in terms of what you can get in exchange for what you had.

Correct, but there is a flaw.

There are 3 versions of every material. "Character bound" (which you get from the Old->New exchange, "Unbound", which you buy from the material vendor. and "+1", which you typically get through gathering.

Even after you sell/exchange all the obsolete materials you will not have enough space in the Material Satchel
    to hold 3 versions of every resource, so you you should expect constant annoying micromanaging of your resources.

I had seen this, and was going to advise that everyone hold their points until they need something, but felt that I would be needlessly complicating the message here, especially since I saw it suggested that they not make the retainer mats bound. I mean, maybe they can make such a change, maybe not, but with so much still a work in progress, this seems like a reasonable solution to the storage problem, especially given that the new system already calls for more different materials without introducing these bound versions.

People that really want the info on the upcoming crafting system really need to sort through the test thread on the subject where they can get the latest info on changes and official updates from a dev rather than some filthy casual like me. ;)
    kvet said:

> @minotaur2857 said:

> There are rank 20 guilds on Preview

>

> I knew this, I think some were created during the testing of strongholds, I just don't know anybody in one

Send me a mail in-game, I’ll send you an invite to the Greycloaks guild on preview, it’s rank 20.

While I'd love to do that, my problem is that I can't get on preview (128Gb SSD that doesn't have room for a second copy of the game), hence why I'm asking these questions rather than doing it myself

• chivonicachivonica Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    How to prepare? Well:

Expect everything you may or do enjoy to be ripped up and gutted.

Expect the gold investment to be so much as not worth it.

Expect only high quality tools like Gond to have any half chance.

Expect a 1 in 1000000 chance of getting a decent artisan.

Expect everything to be monetarised so the company fat cats eat and sleep at 5 star restaurants and locations around the world.

Now you are prepared but hope for the best :)
    Another question about the merging of plate/mailsmithing, if you only have the recipes up to 5 on one of the two, do you get all the recipes for both ?

Another question about the merging of plate/mailsmithing, if you only have the recipes up to 5 on one of the two, do you get all the recipes for both ?

Recipes are different, but you will get armorer at a level equivalent to the highest level of either skill... You are a 5 platesmith and a 25 mailsmith now? Then you will have armorer at level 70.

Your gathering skill will be the highest level of any skill that you have, since they are assuming that you would have leveled it while leveling the skill.
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Preparing for the new profession system is easy.

Step 1) Prepare to hand over 10 or more tools you already bought and paid for to get one tool back.
    Step 2) Prepare to exchange 10 artisans you already bought and paid for to get one artisan back.
    Step 3) Prepare for all your currently unbound, tradeable, exchangeable tools, materials and artisans to become char-bound.
    Step 4) Prepare to spend time and resources levelling up your workshop, artisans, and tools, so that after spending a lot you can be almost as productive as you are now.
    Step 5) Prepare to have lower chances of success at producing high end items.
    Step 6) Prepare to take 6-10 steps to produce items equivalent to what you do now in 1-4 steps.
    Step 7) Prepare to see tons and tons of items that aren't even worth producing, because random drops you can buy cheap on the exchange are just as good or better.
    Step 8) Prepare for a ton of bugs, typos, errors, and oh yes, needing to go through PE to visit your workshop when you want to do some crafting.
    Step 9) Prepare to be told this replacement of all your professional progress over the years is in fact, "an improved, streamlined, more functional crafting system - but it's not for everyone".

There you go, 9 easy steps and you are completely ready!
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User

"an improved, streamlined, more functional crafting system

yet somehow they maximized the need for superfluous clicking

and then found ways to need even more clicking

• dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited October 2018

"an improved, streamlined, more functional crafting system

yet somehow they maximized the need for superfluous clicking

and then found ways to need even more clicking

Yeah, so many people asked for a one click "collect all" or "produce all" for professions and instead we get more button clicks :p

DD~
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Step 1) Prepare to hand over 10 or more tools you already bought and paid for to get one tool back.
    Step 2) Prepare to exchange 10 artisans you already bought and paid for to get one artisan back.
    Step 3) Prepare for all your currently unbound, tradeable, exchangeable tools, materials and artisans to become char-bound.
    Step 4) Prepare to spend time and resources levelling up your workshop, artisans, and tools, so that after spending a lot you can be almost as productive as you are now.
    Step 6) Prepare to take 6-10 steps to produce items equivalent to what you do now in 1-4 steps.
    Step 7) Prepare to see tons and tons of items that aren't even worth producing, because random drops you can buy cheap on the exchange are just as good or better.
    Step 8) Prepare for a ton of bugs, typos, errors, and oh yes, needing to go through PE to visit your workshop when you want to do some crafting.
    Step 9) Prepare to be told this replacement of all your professional progress over the years is in fact, "an improved, streamlined, more functional crafting system - but it's not for everyone".

So you like it then?
    edited October 2018

So you like it then?
    LOL @wintersmoke, sounded to me the account @forcemajure gave was more of a 'bend over and grab your ankles' response rather than a "Yippie!" response... but yeah, perhaps a lot of the people who have trouble with the professions changes just have an odd way of expressing their appreciation for it at this point, who knows.

I guess we'll find out what the non-posting majority think on November 6th.

DD~
    dionchi said:

LOL @wintersmoke, sounded to me the account @forcemajure gave was more of a 'bend over and grab your ankles' response rather than a "Yippie!" response... but yeah, perhaps a lot of the people who have trouble with the professions changes just have an odd way of expressing their appreciation for it at this point, who knows.

Well, only in the usual "people in zone chat that complain about everything" kind of way.

The non-posting majority will remain the non-posting majority, and I think that active complaining in zone chat is a pastime of a minority of players as well.

I think that there will be questions that some will ask to help get things sorted out at first, but I would wager that most players will carry on quietly in whatever they decide to do.

The only people that will truly know what most people are doing with the new system are not likely to share that info.

Tools and artisians, yes....but materials remain unbound, right ? I was told the BtC materials you bought for credits in earlier Preview builds had been replaced with unbound ones...or is that wrong?

Recipes are different, but you will get armorer at a level equivalent to the highest level of either skill... You are a 5 platesmith and a 25 mailsmith now? Then you will have armorer at level 70.

Your gathering skill will be the highest level of any skill that you have, since they are assuming that you would have leveled it while leveling the skill.
    Sorry I meant Mastercrafting rank 5 recipes, I have MC5 on one, MC4 on the other.
    edited November 2018

Sorry I meant Mastercrafting rank 5 recipes, I have MC5 on one, MC4 on the other.

Ah, now, that's a good question regarding the merged professions. I must admit I have no idea what will happen - and quite frankly I expect the Masterwork process to get all messed up with the new mod, partly because of lack of testing.

Anyhow, it sounds like you will be one of the Guinea pigs....have fun ;)

Seriously, though...just copy your character over to Preview and check.
    adinosii said:

Ah, now, that's a good question regarding the merged professions. I must admit I have no idea what will happen - and quite frankly I expect the Masterwork process to get all messed up with the new mod, partly because of lack of testing.

Anyhow, it sounds like you will be one of the Guinea pigs....have fun ;)

Seriously, though...just copy your character over to Preview and check.
    As I said above, I can't run preview unless there's a workround, I only have a 128 Gb SSD and I don't have room for 2 copies of the game on it.
    Ah

As I said above, I can't run preview unless there's a workround, I only have a 128 Gb SSD and I don't have room for 2 copies of the game on it.

Ah, missed that. The thing is, I sdon't think people have really tested the Masterwork leveling-up that much on Preview, and given the expected quality of in-house testing, I would not be surprised if it was totally broken.

You might for example end up in a situation where you have the recipes for one of the professions (as you already earned those) , and no way to get the rest (as you already have MW in the "merged" professions.

This is really a fun little boundary case, and the interesting thing is that how code deals with boundary cases shows the big difference between average programmers and really good ones.
    edited November 2018

dionchi said:

Well, only in the usual "people in zone chat that complain about everything" kind of way.

The non-posting majority will remain the non-posting majority, and I think that active complaining in zone chat is a pastime of a minority of players as well.

I think that there will be questions that some will ask to help get things sorted out at first, but I would wager that most players will carry on quietly in whatever they decide to do.

The only people that will truly know what most people are doing with the new system are not likely to share that info.

Oh I think the non posting majority will make their feelings known on PE Zone chat...

One doesn't always need to visit the forums to figure out which way a lot of players think the wind is blowing.

Unfortunately I think you're probably right about that.

DD~