test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD: Professions Overhaul

asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

Professions Overhaul

Greetings adventurers, this thread is for providing bug reports and feedback on the upcoming overhaul to professions in Module 15: Heart of Fire. In addition, this thread is a place where you can ask questions about the upcoming changes, and I will do my best to answer them.

If you haven't already, check out the recent blog post that introduces the feature. We'll be rolling out more information in the coming weeks leading up to launch. In the past these threads have functioned as impromptu Q&A sessions, but in this case I'd like to formalize that function. With the sheer scope of the changes to professions, countless questions will no doubt emerge. In the past, large updates like this have sometimes been accompanied by exhaustive forum posts. This new format is an experiment to help surface the information that everyone wants to know about in a more digestible format.

In addition to answering questions here, there will be more information forthcoming elsewhere, including additional blog posts. Naturally once the update is on preview, a lot of information will be disseminated all at once. Please keep in mind that everything on preview is subject to change, and in particular, as I mention in the blog, a number of small but tremendously import details like costs, recipe materials, experience points, item levels, etc. are going to see changes before the update goes live.

With that out of the way, we look forward to hearing from you about your experience with the new professions system, and hope you enjoy checking it out on preview—and once it goes live with Module 15.

----

Formatting Your Feedback and Bugs

For posting feedback and bugs, please follow the following format to ensure your feedback and bugs are seen clearly and processed in a timely manner, thank you!

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN. If you are replying to another user's post, asking a question, or just engaging in general discussion, please do not color your posts, general discussion is welcome and we will read all of it, regardless of color! You can use BBCode to color your text:

<font color=cyan>This text will display in cyan.</font> <font color=red>This text will display in red.</font>

Examples:
Bug: Sometimes after I hire a new artisan they appear in my workshop twice, at the same time, I don't think I hired twins!

Feedback: It takes too long to level up a new artisan. It had to use 800 morale just to get a single new artisan to level 30.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    During the last update of mastercraft I was very disappointed by one point:

When you achieve the lvl 4 of one profession it's work for all the professions of your toon, but only on this toon.
    If you have made the choice to separate the professions on differents toons, because it was more interresting for the gameplay, you need to reinvest in lvl 4 of mastercraft for each of them.

It's a real pain and really expensive.
    I'd like to see an update of this part.
    Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k
  • ibz4ez#9773 ibz4ez Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I'll go ahead and ask the big question that's probably on most people's mind when they read "Big changes to professions": Will this affect current professions levels/XP?
    If so, will there be some kind of global reset or boost given to players based on the XP they gained on the previous system?

Do you know when the expansion will hit the preview server? Can you argue with your boss to make the expansion come to the preview server sooner than whatever it is scheduled for? (Even if most things aren't ready yet) because it is much easier to bug test as sections of the expansion are added rather than all in one big chunk.) (E.g. if you added all of the professions changes to Neverwinter preview at the weekend or something that would be tres appreciated.)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Do you know when the expansion will hit the preview server?

Just a guess, but considering that this thread went up today, I am guessing by the end of the workday in California on Friday ... more like midnight for us Europeans, but well...
    Hoping for improvements...
  • malignantmind#3340 malignantmind Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    What will happen to the currently existing profession items people have? All their craftsmen, tools... Forgehammers. Are these going to still be usable? Are they going to disappear and the forgehammer get a power rework?
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I'm looking forward to this update. One suggestion I would like to make.

A Professions Workshop Outlet for the Stronghold.

It would be nice if we had access from more than just one area.

As it is now, we can access professions anywhere. Unless I missed something in the blog, it appears that may change.

Looks like I'll be spending most of my weekend on the Preview Shard instead of the Xbox.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited September 2018

It would be nice if we had access from more than just one area.

As it is now, we can access professions anywhere. Unless I missed something in the blog, it appears that may change.

Definitely this. Currently, I park all my characters in the Grand Emporium because it keeps the loading time low on my laptop. If we have to go to this workshop to do professions, that's not going to be very convenient when you're out questing. If this workshop de-instances like the Stronghold does, that's going to make life a lot tougher for people like me who have alts that primarily do professions, invoking, and salvage.
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Will i still be able to make gem crates???
  • childofsiriuschildofsirius Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I hope you are planing to expand (greatly) the size of our bags for inventory assets and resources. Adding hundreds of new inventory assets means we need a place to put them!
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    What will happen to Forgehammer of Gond under new system?
  • draconislupusdraconislupus Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Two questions.

1. Will there be a feature, VIP or regular, to go straight to the workshop? Because let's face it Protectors Enclave has the worst load time of any zone and then adding yet another load screen after that is going to suck

2. And once again what is going to happen to the hundreds of epic assets and tools that we already have spent time and AD to get? In some cases real money.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Adinosii, that what Stronghold was for "Surplus Supplies" was made for outdated non-master crafts. they are not needed for auction house. only few craftables for the quest lines are needed, or unless request by players if they cant find or unable to craft if not building up ranks.

we have 2 serious and badly planned designs on Leadership's and Black Ice's lack of "other" access tool items, and no one would willing to pay up with real cash.
    first of all, profession doesnt help you to "Win" the game. Not even close! it became most 'abandoned' due to too many needed items. some came from lockbox packs or on zen market that hardly sold since nerfed.

i make short list, but i cant add all other items, way too much for forum to list it all, but just few that really stand out the most.
    1. Elemental fragments and United Elemental, these take very long time and very easy to run out of it by crafting quest demands for other needs.
    2. Dragon Eggs, not often getting them. drop rates are too low and saw few lockboxes packs few often, and then no one using them to make, these seem to be "novelities"
    3. resource tab for raws are getting crowded and cluttered, need specific tabs for Black Ices, Chultian materials, so we need one for common resources tab and other for elite resources tab.
  • osu0148#5585 osu0148 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    With new recipes coming, will there be new charts/mats to farm?
  • miko#6029 miko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    <font color=cyan>I am excited about the profession's overhaul. I am also concerned about leadership being merged with gathering. What's going to happened to the people that have leadership already maxed? I truly dont want to lose my current progress, as leadership was the slowest for me to level up. Also, what about all the hundred of assets I currently own at epic level. I did took the time to have every toon I own with their own set of epic assets so they can fill all 9 slots. Are they going to be converted into hires? If not, will they be worth anything? I dont want to lose all the time, AD, Zen and effort that was put into acquiring them.

As for new recipes, I think we really needed those. How do you think Mastercraft will be affected? We have put a lot of time, AD and effort into it and it will be nice if they don't diminish what we currently get from it.

One thing I will want to see, is profession levels being unlock account wide, the same as with CR in mod 14. For example, we reached Alchemy Mastercraft 2 in our main toon, then all toons in the account will be Alchemy Mastercraft 2 level, as long as they follow a set of requirements. Maybe the toon would be required to be level 70 for the profession level to be unlock, so people dont abuse the system by making new toons just to unlock extra profession slots. This will make it a reward for playing the game and putting the effort required to get the highest profession levels.

There are so many more questions I have. I am just concern that people like me that have put real time, effort and resources into working the profession's module to its max, might be short changed when the upgrade comes through, by the devs forgetting to repay us for the assets we have already accumulated, now that hires will be the norm.

Thank you in advance for responding. :)</font>
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    Little question: What will happen to the Black Ice profession? Will we still be able to empower old items like drow, dragonfligh or eleven stuff? Asking for collection, if I should rush it now or if it's still possible later.
  • vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    This master craftsman is tentatively positive and engaged for this overhaul. It reads like the plan is fair and will introduce new life into professions. Of course, my concern is purely selfish and it will be interesting to see what happens with the market. If these modifications somehow depress prices, for example, it will all be for naught.

My continued involvement in Neverwinter is at stake, for I am only able to persist if I am able to maintain my empire and sustain millions in income by crafting many, many pairs of pants.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    @asterdahl Thanks for explaining this. And I saw you called out the Forgehammer. But if I infer from your comment about it, the Forgehammer will not play such a pivotal role in the new profession system, and appears to be defunk now, is that correct?
  • akpuls#9220 akpuls Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Hello. What about Astral Diamonds, Gems, Gold and Surplus crates. Will be still possible of making them or if not is there any replacement?
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Every existing player's professions levels will be adjusted to the new scale. For example, if you are currently level 25 in a profession, your profession will now be level 70.

Thank you for walking through a lot of those conversion items. We really appreciate that.

Can you take a step back and, at the high level, tell us what the goals of the new system are? What are the changes trying to achieve?

Thanks!
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    • Is the personal workshop an account-wide feature or will every toon have their own workshop?

• In the announcement it states that you can upgrade your workshop for more delivery slots. I've spent a lot of time unlocking 9 profession slots on multiple characters.
    How is that going to be reflected in the new system?
    Will that translate to more delivery slots in the new system?
    asterdahl said:

...and those recipes will have a difficulty rating that determines their success rate...

• I'm cherrypicking your words for that quote. It sounds like more RNG is being introduced into professions? Is that a correct observation? Do you feel the community is going to be excited for more RNG to be introduced when in most cases RNG seems to punish players more often than not (see lockboxes, hunt lures in M12/13, mastercrafting, upgrading gear/enchants, etc)

• The announcement also stated the following:
    "assign adventurers to gather raw materials and raw refinement stones via the gathering profession, which leadership has been reworked in to"
    • Was leadership intentionally removed because it was the main generator of AD/RP for anyone that wasn't doing mastercrafting? Because it sure sounds like removing leadership was definitely top of mind since just creating a gathering profession on it's own would have done the job.

• akpuls#9220 akpuls Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2018

"assign adventurers to gather raw materials and raw refinement stones via the gathering profession, which leadership has been reworked in to"
    • Was leadership intentionally removed because it was the main generator of AD/RP for anyone that wasn't doing mastercrafting? Because it sure sounds like removing leadership was definitely top of mind since just creating a gathering profession on it's own would have done the job.

Yeah, I have level 25 leadership on 14 characters and I'm making with it millions of ADs. It's only one of my income in this game. So if thay change this it's besically game over for me because I need for my character progression millions of ADs.

• gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

• Is the personal workshop an account-wide feature or will every toon have their own workshop?

• In the announcement it states that you can upgrade your workshop for more delivery slots. I've spent a lot of time unlocking 9 profession slots on multiple characters.
    How is that going to be reflected in the new system?
    Will that translate to more delivery slots in the new system?

asterdahl said:

...and those recipes will have a difficulty rating that determines their success rate...

• I'm cherrypicking your words for that quote. It sounds like more RNG is being introduced into professions? Is that a correct observation? Do you feel the community is going to be excited for more RNG to be introduced when in most cases RNG seems to punish players more often than not (see lockboxes, hunt lures in M12/13, mastercrafting, upgrading gear/enchants, etc)

I believe that the difficulty now will be obtaining high level assets that will increase the quality. So now you'll be able to make higher level items if you have higher level assets which will be the RNG part - getting them.

Or at least I HAMSTER hope so.