test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Resolved] Issue with Free Items in PS4 Store

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited August 2018 in News & Announcements
Update 8/28

Thank you for your patience while we worked with our first party partner on addressing this issue. Players who attempted to claim the promotional items will find these available in the Rewards Claim Agent with the exception of the Beholder Mount. We feel this solution addresses the inconvenience of the situation but does not devalue the mount obtained by players through in-game participation.

Several free items were placed in the PlayStation Store earlier today unintentionally. These items were for internal use/testing purposes and not meant to be public facing. Claiming these items did not reward them to the player’s account. We are in the process of working with our partners to remove these items from the store. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• dantragbdantragb Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    That’s just great well done on clickbaiting a whole community I bow to your expertise lol
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    got me hyped up for second till i tried to dwnload and it wouldnt then came here an saw thread abt the stuff -_- wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • puppiesgosplashpuppiesgosplash Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    So because of a "goof" that someone did we the players get let down again? I feel like someone should be the bigger person and resolve it without making the players feel like everyone doesnt care, instead of "oops we goofed oh well" and move on like it didn't happen.
  • jjsr420jjsr420 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    An apology, quite simply, isnt good enough. Ive played 2 years on ps4 trying to get the beholder tank. Sorry isnt at all good enough.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact,(2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.
  • kingkevin#6900 kingkevin Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Am I the only one that actually forgives them

ya pretty much
  • landeruz#5424 landeruz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Ive opened enough lockboxes including daily keys as well in a year and a half with no leg mount to be unphased by this lol relax folks.
  • heat719#8629 heat719 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    This is beyond except-able or something that can be said opps sorry everyone... Development needs to make right on this issue... seriously the people who were sent an email conformaiton should get a code for a free legendary beholder mount.. just like gelationous cube companion had a code... give the people affected by this the mount they were offered in the store for free...( its a data file- that hostly will make those ppl lucky enough happy or feel ripped off by a game that they like where some those ppl actually spend $ on... Aka really bad for business on both neverwinter and ps4's part. especially when some people spend hundreds of $ on this game... ). Please fix this!
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Guys, please cut them some slack. Why did this issue not happen on Arc or Xbox store but only on PS? It's unlikely that they have direct access to the console stores. Somebody at PSN must have accidentally slipped it in without their awareness. So please be a little understanding before accusing anybody of anything. Consoles are hard to work with even as seen numerous times before.
    FrozenFire
  • riskybiz316#9412 riskybiz316 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Cut them some slack? So basicallly what you’re saying is that neverwinter just hands over their keys to their house and ps can do whatever they want in cryptics house huh? Just slipped it in rightttttttt come on man. Cryptic just needs to own up to what they did. And answer to PlayStation for it. PlayStation didn’t just go into Cryptic and say look what we found let’s post it. Get a clue
    if thiss was somebody at sonys side that is responsible for this an not cryptic then sony should be the one to fic it an supplement to cryptic for the problem they caused. but cryptic is to blame as well bc they were "testing" with said items to start with as mentioned in the thread, so both parties (sony/cryptic) are to blame for this false afvertising even if it was not ment to go publi ( in which case it should have been "tested" on private servers to avoid such "accidents") becuase now the comunity wants "blood". cant throw chum in the waters and expect sharks not to come looking for food.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Guys, please cut them some slack. Why did this issue not happen on Arc or Xbox store but only on PS? It's unlikely that they have direct access to the console stores. Somebody at PSN must have accidentally slipped it in without their awareness. So please be a little understanding before accusing anybody of anything. Consoles are hard to work with even as seen numerous times before.

It's also unlikely the PSN Store randomly created NW assets to promote something in the store. Please don't perpetuate some random guess work as a new theory. Julias excuse was good enough without someone adding in some PS conspiracy theory. Whoever's at fault really doesn't matter. Cryptic is the front facing company to the users.

Mistakes happen. No it's not fraud.

Is it yet another example of Cryptic losing face with the community? Yes. But we should all be used to that by now.
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 131 Arc User

No, you are not. But then, I'm not perfect either, so I can actually understand when others make a mistake.
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    I don't think it's that big of a deal either. The mounts weren't even on the players accounts. Cryptic apologized for the misleading items in the PS Store pretty quickly. No harm, no foul.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    They cannot randomly make items and release them, and no 'conspiracy' is involved. The store is Sony's (and therefore it is indeed their house) and they chose what's listed in there, and the studios can merely give instructions or requests on what they want to happen. Somebody, without any ill intent, accidentally pushed out something that was meant to be private. Cryptic was still at the face of it, and hence they said sorry. I don't know what else they can do. And no, just giving away legendary mounts is unlikely to be an option.
    FrozenFire
  • nickademus72#6066 nickademus72 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Yes ,yes people did get these in there accounts and we have screen shots to prove it . So unfortunately someone made quite a mess,and a it seems people did get the items minus the mount .
    This created a lot of bad PR and feelings ,and people are po'd .
    I personally don't care ,love the game and am not going anywhere, but this needs to be dealt with accordingly. Presumably better than the dismind dupe mess .
  • heat719#8629 heat719 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    so today after having to deal with a very disappointed kid after spending hundreds ( probably least over $1000) over the course to support Neverwinter and Perfect world (playing cards etc) another few thousand... i dont plan on spending another dollar or cent after today after their beholder mount mess up... ( which is sad cause i really enjoy the game.) and to get basically slapped in the face saying yeah free mount and then not fixing the issue. (why couldnt you all mess up on blue beetle and not the beholder??!!) not to mention the 3 legendary artifacts... and then on top of that PlayStation support is horrible too, they point the finger at the development team. word of advice to development team issues like this is gonna really hurt your community/ profits etc.. especially when you all brag you can now make items for giveaways on social media but cant fix a mess up on their part. we live in the times that you cant even sit down and enjoy something with out something/one ruining it... especially when some people invested in to more characters to help them in the game and now with a 100,000 a day limit. probably wont ever be able to afford a legendary mount or not much good to upgrade my characters. and btw some people got the mount... a friend of mine did... was unbound was bind on equip and sold it ~ 8 mil Ad- and can someone tell me how thats fair at all to the rest of us who were grinding hard each day in hopes of ever getting one.. yeah really bad PR... ill be warning my friends of these issues and how the team both perfect world and PlayStation support handled this..
  • phnxpunx#5164 phnxpunx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    What The Contract Says
    Assuming that an incorrect advertised price is truly an error rather than an attempt to deceive, companies are only obligated to honor it if a customer makes an offer at that price and the company accepts it. This exchange creates a contract between buyer and seller. In a store, customers make an offer simply by indicating they want to buy an item -- for example, by bringing it up to the register -- and the company accepts the offer by ringing up the sale. In the brick-and-mortar world, contracts don't get formed around pricing errors because the store just won't ring up the sale. But online selling, in which transactions are processed automatically, has added a new layer of complexity to the issue.

Online Standards
    When an e-commerce website has had an incorrect price entered into its database, it can end up not only advertising that price but also accepting orders and charging customers' credit cards for that amount. The central issue here is whether retailers can void the contract created when orders were accepted. The easiest way for a company to deal with such situations is to have website "terms of use" that clearly state the company can cancel orders and refund customers' money because of pricing errors (or for any reason). Otherwise, a common law doctrine known as "unilateral mistake of fact" applies. This doctrine allows a party to a contract to set aside the contract if honoring it would be "unconscionable," or if the other party could have reasonably assumed it was a mistake. A $1,000 item advertised for $10 likely would meet this definition.

References (4)
    Consumerist: Canceling Orders Over a Pricing Error Is Not Bait and Switch
    Federal Trade Commission: Guides Against Bait Advertising
    Arnold & Porter LLP: Oops! Pricing Mistakes by Online Retailers
    Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr LLP: Are Sellers Bound by Mistakes in Online Advertisements?
    About the Author
    Cam Merritt is a writer and editor specializing in business, personal finance and home design. He has contributed to USA Today, The Des Moines Register and Better Homes and Gardens"publications. Merritt has a journalism degree from Drake University and is pursuing an MBA from the University of Iowa.
  • phnxpunx#5164 phnxpunx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Sounds like Arc is in a legal bind.
  • wickedduck22#9795 wickedduck22 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Yeah, how dare you not give them a free legendary mount..
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    I think this issue is sooooo bad, they should give everyone 2 legendary mounts, wicked.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Yeah, how dare you not give them a free legendary mount..

...and 10 rank 14 enchants for the emotional distress.

Update 8/28

Thank you for your patience while we worked with our first party partner on addressing this issue. Players who attempted to claim the promotional items will find these available in the Rewards Claim Agent with the exception of the Beholder Mount. We feel this solution addresses the inconvenience of the situation but does not devalue the mount obtained by players through in-game participation.

Several free items were placed in the PlayStation Store earlier today unintentionally. These items were for internal use/testing purposes and not meant to be public facing. Claiming these items did not reward them to the player’s account. We are in the process of working with our partners to remove these items from the store. We apologize for any inconvenience.

(bewildered look on face)..... im shockd....... somethjing was actualy done abt this O_O ....... got 3 of the 4 free items .... not so mad abt the ledge one but ya i can understand the whole "devalueing" concept of it..........
    (turns round walks away whistleing the andy griffon theme song)