test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting demotivated

Hey guys, Basically what the title says. I'm getting bored doing the same campaign rotation everyday. SKT, ToD, and Sharandar, I do these every morning and after that I find nothing else to do. I could grind for AD true but it takes me forever and I groan at the thought that it'll take me months to get to my goal. What I'm trying to get at is I'm finding the game really boring. Does anyone else have a way to alleviate the issue so I can play like I used to?

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This is what Foundry mission are meant to do. I haven't checked to see if mine are playable as the editor is still having issues. I am not saying you must play mine, there are a lot of great missions in the database. Find the best ones here in the forums. The in game catalog searching and star rating is a load of cow pies. Seek out the best on your own.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Great post ^ not massively helpful but pretty much spot on.

On topic - I am very much the same - bored bored bored.

The jump to get to a point where one can happily run FBI dungeon and above is a mahoosive grind. And other than that I have done all content pretty much. All campaigns finished except for SKT [cos of FBI or something] and River District [never had a successful PUG MSP yet] and don't want to face To9G or Castle Ravenloft.

Being honest yes take a break.

SKT is a real pain in the back especially the Sea of Moving Ice - that caused me immense annoyance.

Maybe break it up a bit? Ignore campaigns for a few days and do Random dungeons?

I have enjoyed playing through the Random Intermediate dungeons and learning the best tactics to complete them - Lost Lair, Castle Never, Valindra's Tower, Epic Shores of Tuern. Kessel's retreat - great to revisit these and some good fun as well.

Or try hunts in Barovia - they can be a laugh.

• vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    nice point micky :-)

i understand what first post means. with AD refinement cap at 100 000 per day per account, its hard to find reason to play. hard to find motivation to catch up your guildies. i hope we will see Cryptic change it next mod
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    You need to find ways to earn AD and not just rAD. The only mechanism (that does not need Zen) you can get AD without involving rAD is through AH.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I would second the "take a break" solution here. I did - I was heavily active in the game for years starting in alpha then closed beta then open beta... I founded the Greycloaks, the Blackcloaks, the Whitecloaks, the Browncloaks, the Goldcloaks... Years later, I simply got tired of it all. It wasn't the guild (and later Alliance) - those are full of amazingly cool people that have created a vibrant community that I'm proud to have had a hand in forming, but I just hit a wall. So I handed over the reins to some solid folks and deleted the game. A year and a half (give or take) later, I'm back and actually enjoying the game again. I finished off SKT and am working my way through RD and Chult (Barovia was finished pretty easily) and things are going nicely.

I think @jorifice1 said it perfectly: "There's no point in playing if you don't enjoy it"

This is a game - if you're not having fun, don't play. The truth is, despite all the problems, NW is actually a pretty good game and worth coming back to at some point. But if you're feeling like you need a break from it, you probably do. I know I did, and having taken a long break, I'm back to a point where the game is, again, enjoyable.
  • bige03bige03 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    the game itself demotivates you with all the nerfs to the economy they implement constantly to try to get you to spend money vs grinding for it.
  • eshkull#7182 eshkull Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    kvet said:

I would second the "take a break" solution here. I did - I was heavily active in the game for years starting in alpha then closed beta then open beta... I founded the Greycloaks, the Blackcloaks, the Whitecloaks, the Browncloaks, the Goldcloaks... Years later, I simply got tired of it all. It wasn't the guild (and later Alliance) - those are full of amazingly cool people that have created a vibrant community that I'm proud to have had a hand in forming, but I just hit a wall. So I handed over the reins to some solid folks and deleted the game. A year and a half (give or take) later, I'm back and actually enjoying the game again. I finished off SKT and am working my way through RD and Chult (Barovia was finished pretty easily) and things are going nicely.

I think @jorifice1 said it perfectly: "There's no point in playing if you don't enjoy it"

This is a game - if you're not having fun, don't play. The truth is, despite all the problems, NW is actually a pretty good game and worth coming back to at some point. But if you're feeling like you need a break from it, you probably do. I know I did, and having taken a long break, I'm back to a point where the game is, again, enjoyable.

Sekhmet? Is that you? :o
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    "Take a break" solution has worked for me at times. Chult and Omu was where I've taken the longest amount of time away. It just was too much of a grind for my tastes. Barovia is a bit funner but still a grind and I opted to do only weekly quests after a couple weeks.
    I did have some fun recently leveling up a new alt and enjoying all of that really good lower level content. hadn't done it for a couple years so was a nice change to go back and say hi to old npc friends again.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    when I got bored of the campaigns before. I just took a break from the campaigns and focused on other in game things. run some dungeons. farm some lures. ect ect.
  • jmiller84jmiller84 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 188 Arc User
    If you haven't yet unlocked Chult (Soshenstar/Omu) could always do that. Make your way out to Barovia and do stuff there. The new hunt system in Barovia is much better than the previous system and is a great way to collect new and useful gear while having fun with guildies. One of the great things about the new hunt system is that you can personalize it to make it funny (everyone mini) or make it extremely difficult (enemies at epic dungeon level difficult, hit 300% harder, etc.)

Can always run dungeons, or can do challenge dungeons. For instance, take alts that just barely meet the game's requirements for a dungeon so you actually have to do the mechanics in boss fights.

Do guild/alliance stuff, Marauders and Dragonflight.
    HR: Vretzen
    GWF: Vretzina
    OP: Vee
    DC: Evee
    CW: nezterV

Leader - Valaraukari Ascension
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    Besides taking breaks to refresh the nostalgia and let the ever-present reminder of a grind fade:
    1. Do Foundry (but I think it is offline)...ho hum.
    2. Pursue titles, like the ones from Maze Engine, River District, Underdark, etc. Some of them are not easy to get.
    3. Pursue achievements. So, you need to kill 500 Air Archons for a slayer level? Well...you know where to find them.
    4. Build Campaign Currency. Revisit the campaigns sporadically to do a couple of the quests and gain some of the currency that does weird stuff. For example, supporting factions in Underdark OR Do some Elemental Evil quests to revisit the evil and just progress towards a bit of nothing.
    5. Try to do scrying orbs without looking where to find them. This will take some time.
    6. Progress in non-stat based service features (idle companion slots), which are pretty cheap, and moreso with a coupon from invoke.
    7. Try clearing zone maps of any unexplored area.
    8. Try to get all the special drop quests from certain zones (Lonelywood, Bryn Shandar, SOMI, RD, Chult).
    9. Get Volo's hunt achievements.
    10. Start zany and fun chats with friends or guild mates to pass the time.
    11. Go on a node hunt (sometimes there is a big payoff, like a Unified element, but mostly, this is just to look at what's on the map). Combine this with #7.
    12. Do some HEs in various zones. Try and solo a mid or BHE. Drops aren't bad sometimes (black ice wedge, for example).
    13. Run Dragonflight (I even did this recently. Wow, are those dragons squishy now).
    14. Queue up for an actual dungeon that will vary the time online. Why do random all the time and get the same stuff? Pug one of those RQs or RIQs and see what happens.
    15. Masterwork..well, if you have a Gond that is. If not, moving on.

Most of these will not increase your AD account or your stats in the game, but they can be done to vary the Neverwinter experience, break up the monotony of progression by grind, and keep the game fresh longer, whether solo or with friends.

Cheers!
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    16. Build a new character.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    on my wishlist for those slayer acheivements, kill more to get plus +1 slayer ability after killing 10,000 times, and get +2 slayer after you did 25,000 times.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    ddasani1 said:

Hey guys, Basically what the title says. I'm getting bored doing the same campaign rotation everyday. SKT, ToD, and Sharandar, I do these every morning and after that I find nothing else to do. I could grind for AD true but it takes me forever and I groan at the thought that it'll take me months to get to my goal. What I'm trying to get at is I'm finding the game really boring. Does anyone else have a way to alleviate the issue so I can play like I used to?

Take a break from the game. Don't return until you find yourself being curious about how things have changed since you left. I've done that and was happy I did, rather than wiping out my account (as I came close to doing after EE was released).

Just be prepared for the inevitable - all of your gear/weapons will likely be outclassed by rando blue / purple drops from new zones that popped up in your absence.

• constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    you can take a break, but all that tedious stuff will still be waiting on you, . find a few friends thatle join you in the game maybe? you could always buy the campaigns but then you are left with the latest 2-3 to do the same thing you are doing now. i quit for a while myself, i hated maze, storm kings, cloaked was HAMSTER, icewind dale was a mess, but then when i came back to the game chult and ravenloft are out and they are actually entertaining