Install Arc

The ring Leader Achievement

2»

Comments

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

I'm not sure I understand what exactly people are disagreeing over.

But it seems to me that the crux of the OP was that there are achievements in this game that are immensely difficult to get, and that certain outlier achievements should be made somehow more accessible.

To be frank, I'm not against that at all. It is incredibly tedious and expensive to farm for +5 rings in chult and omu. Some kind of mechanic to allow people to get the ring that they want through a means other than pure RNG would be appreciated.

FWIW, I would wager that those members who have registered on trueachievements.com are more likely than the general population to have tried to collect all of the achievements. It's not entirely unreasonable to expect the 100% completion rate on a completionist fansite to be higher than the general game population's 100% completion rate...

The reason why theres issues over this achievement is because its not skill based its luck that you need to get this.
    Few achievements are "skill" based, most are just gimmee's if you play much. Any that require skill or a long term commitment also get complained about.

That said basing the ring one, or any future ones, around the crazy RNG is not a good idea.
    To say few achievements are skill based is wrong. Halo speed run achievements in the master chief collection require skill, winning a match on hell on earth difficulty in killing floor 2 requires skill (now that the glitch spots are patched anyway), completing a raid with no one dying in destiny requires skill. Hell even NW has skill based achievements (portal dodger & master of svardborg).

I have over 400 games played on my tag over nine years and while some of the achievements I've earned had an element of luck to them, there were none that had anywhere even remotely close to the level of this achievement.

That being said I agree (obviously) with your last statement. The level of RNG in this achievement makes it almost feel like I'd have a better chance of getting an achievement for getting 5 legendary mounts from lockboxes.
    This isn't Halo. Neverwinter achievements are completely different and that is the subject of this discussion. There are a few skill based, but the vast majority are not. There are many luck based achievements here, but it is the RNG based one that is the issue.
    Bro, luck and RNG are the same thing...and no HAMSTER this isn't Halo. What are you even talking about at this point?

You commented saying achievements are rarely skill based and most are "gimme's," I gave you four separate sets of examples among literally thousands of different games & achievements where you are wrong.

Obviously I know Neverwinter's achievements are the subject, considering I created the post in the first place...

There is not one single other achievement in Neverwinter that is remotely close to the level of insanity of this one. You can argue that the 50 tier 5 fish*, or the each type of voodoo doll, or the chicken voodoo doll on each minion type is luck based but every single one of these is still realistic to obtain.

*In retort to the bolded part of one of your previous comments, I ground out the 50 rank 5 fish along with mathnotevenonce. Yeah we may have bitched and moaned to each other throughout the grind of that achievement with the low spawn rates of the tier 5 fish but we didn't come on here asking the devs to change that achievement because it was FEASIBLE.

The difference inherent in this achievement is basing it upon a triple layer of ridiculously & sequentially lower spawn/drop rates.

Let's work through this, I have to farm REGULAR tyrannosaurs until it decides to spawn the Rex. Then I have to find REGULAR mobs and farm them until the special mobs spawn. Then I have to kill the special mob and HOPE it drops the trophy. Then I have to craft the lure and kill the hunt monster and HOPE it drops the +5.

That is 3 different layers of RNG for A SINGLE LURE. That's not even factoring in other players potentially nuking the Rex or special mobs and you don't even get a hit in and thus don't get the fang or trophy.

When you've dealt with this insane level of RNG HAMSTER for over 200 Spli Ti hunts and the best you have to show for it is a couple of +4's and more pairs of bonespurs than I could ever put to use in my life, maybe you would understand why people like myself & math are pissed off at this abomination of an achievement.
    Dude... you're the one that brought Halo into the conversation :sweat:
  • with1ntheruins#4266 with1ntheruins Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2018

All things wrong in this game and you are complaining over an achievement. People in my alliance have it unlocked so its not impossible, it seems you want it just handed to you without working toward it. If the devs changed the achievement now it would be a slap in the face to anyone who has done it. You can make excuses as to why its hard to get but its obviously possible.

Okay since I see we're struggling with reading comprehension here, let me break it down for you.

I never said I want the achievement handed to me. I said I want it to be REALISTICALLY OBTAINABLE. Is that such a difficult concept to understand?

A couple people in your alliance unlocked it? Good for them. They either had an unrealistic amount of AD for the average player to obtain and bought all their lures, farmed their own lures for god knows how many hours per day nonstop until they got them, again this is not REALISTIC for the average player or they had a ridiculous amount of luck and got each ring within their first few lures, AGAIN this is not REALISTIC for the average player.

Like I said in my previous posts, Put the +5's in the campaign store and each one costs 20, 50, 100k chultan riches or 500, 1,000, 2,500 totems or whatever if you really want to make it still time-intensive and grindy I don't give a HAMSTER. At least at that point it's REALISTICALLY OBTAINABLE. I highly doubt anyone who suffered through getting this asinine achievement in the current way & cares about achievements would care about the devs making it easier for other players to get it. It happens literally all the time.

Try using some critical thinking when you're reading next time.

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

But it seems to me that the crux of the OP was that there are achievements in this game that are immensely difficult to get, and that certain outlier achievements should be made somehow more accessible.

To be frank, I'm not against that at all. It is incredibly tedious and expensive to farm for +5 rings in chult and omu. Some kind of mechanic to allow people to get the ring that they want through a means other than pure RNG would be appreciated.

FWIW, I would wager that those members who have registered on trueachievements.com are more likely than the general population to have tried to collect all of the achievements. It's not entirely unreasonable to expect the 100% completion rate on a completionist fansite to be higher than the general game population's 100% completion rate...

The reason why theres issues over this achievement is because its not skill based its luck that you need to get this.
    Few achievements are "skill" based, most are just gimmee's if you play much. Any that require skill or a long term commitment also get complained about.

That said basing the ring one, or any future ones, around the crazy RNG is not a good idea.
    To say few achievements are skill based is wrong. Halo speed run achievements in the master chief collection require skill, winning a match on hell on earth difficulty in killing floor 2 requires skill (now that the glitch spots are patched anyway), completing a raid with no one dying in destiny requires skill. Hell even NW has skill based achievements (portal dodger & master of svardborg).

I have over 400 games played on my tag over nine years and while some of the achievements I've earned had an element of luck to them, there were none that had anywhere even remotely close to the level of this achievement.

That being said I agree (obviously) with your last statement. The level of RNG in this achievement makes it almost feel like I'd have a better chance of getting an achievement for getting 5 legendary mounts from lockboxes.
    This isn't Halo. Neverwinter achievements are completely different and that is the subject of this discussion. There are a few skill based, but the vast majority are not. There are many luck based achievements here, but it is the RNG based one that is the issue.
    Bro, luck and RNG are the same thing...and no HAMSTER this isn't Halo. What are you even talking about at this point?

You commented saying achievements are rarely skill based and most are "gimme's," I gave you four separate sets of examples among literally thousands of different games & achievements where you are wrong.

Obviously I know Neverwinter's achievements are the subject, considering I created the post in the first place...

There is not one single other achievement in Neverwinter that is remotely close to the level of insanity of this one. You can argue that the 50 tier 5 fish*, or the each type of voodoo doll, or the chicken voodoo doll on each minion type is luck based but every single one of these is still realistic to obtain.

*In retort to the bolded part of one of your previous comments, I ground out the 50 rank 5 fish along with mathnotevenonce. Yeah we may have bitched and moaned to each other throughout the grind of that achievement with the low spawn rates of the tier 5 fish but we didn't come on here asking the devs to change that achievement because it was FEASIBLE.

The difference inherent in this achievement is basing it upon a triple layer of ridiculously & sequentially lower spawn/drop rates.

Let's work through this, I have to farm REGULAR tyrannosaurs until it decides to spawn the Rex. Then I have to find REGULAR mobs and farm them until the special mobs spawn. Then I have to kill the special mob and HOPE it drops the trophy. Then I have to craft the lure and kill the hunt monster and HOPE it drops the +5.

That is 3 different layers of RNG for A SINGLE LURE. That's not even factoring in other players potentially nuking the Rex or special mobs and you don't even get a hit in and thus don't get the fang or trophy.

When you've dealt with this insane level of RNG HAMSTER for over 200 Spli Ti hunts and the best you have to show for it is a couple of +4's and more pairs of bonespurs than I could ever put to use in my life, maybe you would understand why people like myself & math are pissed off at this abomination of an achievement.
    Dude... did you even read the thread? TL;DR for you? I brought halo up as a counterpoint to zephyriah saying most games are filled with "gimme" or luck-based achievements. You know, kinda like how people bring up topics in conversation to prove their points? That's what that was.

Jesus Christ guys, take a second to read and think. It's not that hard.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited July 2018

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

RNG = being lucky tho same thing
    RNG specifically refers to the Random Number Generator. The generator certainly determines luck for some things, but not for everything. So, they are not the same thing.

There are luck based achievements/titles that have nothing to do with the generator. Some depend on you finding it at a certain time or place in a quest line (Drinking buddy), or taking a certain action or combination of actions (Misunderstood, Weak-willed). If you do not know in advance about the achievement it is more about luck if you get them or not or repeating content.

For someone specifically farming achievements/titles using a guide, you may not realize you are still using luck. Just it was someone else's luck to find it.

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

Dude... did you even read the thread? TL;DR for you? I brought halo up as a counterpoint to zephyriah saying most games are filled with "gimme" or luck-based achievements. You know, kinda like how people bring up topics in conversation to prove their points? That's what that was.

I never said most games. I talked about THIS game.
  • trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    How is that RNG isnt all about being lucky if you or a friend keeps popping leg mounts out of lock boxes, you will most likely get someone telling you that you have a horseshoe up your HAMSTER or dude you have amazing luck you should buy a lottery ticket because RNG is like you said a random number generator ( ps thanks for that I though I was stupid and didnt know what it meant) you have a chance witch is "a possibility of something happening" hitting a 1% chance for 5 different things that need more RNG involved to even have that chance you would need to have some kind of luck on you side. Not sure why your hung up on the word (luck)

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

RNG = being lucky tho same thing
    RNG specifically refers to the Random Number Generator. The generator certainly determines luck for some things, but not for everything. So, they are not the same thing.

There are luck based achievements/titles that have nothing to do with the generator. Some depend on you finding it at a certain time or place in a quest line (Drinking buddy), or taking a certain action or combination of actions (Misunderstood, Weak-willed). If you do not know in advance about the achievement it is more about luck if you get them or not or repeating content.

For someone specifically farming achievements/titles using a guide, you may not realize you are still using luck. Just it was someone else's luck to find it.

zephyriah said:

zephyriah said:

dupeks said:

I never said most games. I talked about THIS game.
    "Few achievements are "skill" based, most are just gimmee's if you play much. Any that require skill or a long term commitment also get complained about."

^

Dude that is what you said. No where did you specifically mention few neverwinter achievements are skill based. Can we knock it off with all the semantics already and just agree to disagree at this point?

Missable achievements do not equate to luck based ones. Yeah you may not get it if you don't know about it before hand or are not using a guide but that does not make it luck based. It is based on you following a particular set of steps, which if you do, tt is guaranteed to unlock.

There are no such steps to follow that guarantee the rings to drop making this a purely 100% luck based achievement.

How is that RNG isnt all about being lucky if you or a friend keeps popping leg mounts out of lock boxes, you will most likely get someone telling you that you have a horseshoe up your HAMSTER or dude you have amazing luck you should buy a lottery ticket because RNG is like you said a random number generator ( ps thanks for that I though I was stupid and didnt know what it meant) you have a chance witch is "a possibility of something happening" hitting a 1% chance for 5 different things that need more RNG involved to even have that chance you would need to have some kind of luck on you side. Not sure why your hung up on the word (luck)

Thank you, I wish I had the answer for that.
  • vonscuzzmanvonscuzzman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    First off, I agree with you that the developers should avoid poorly thought out achievements.

Unfortunately, Once the achievement is out there, they are not going to change it.

I have found, as more of an achievement gatherer than hunter, you just have to decide which achievements are worth your time. In the end, playing the game is more important.
  • andyufcfanandyufcfan Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Hopefully they make lures buyable with riches or something after a few mods from now. I've not even done the tier one hunt achievements in the first area. The last 3 or 4 achievement lists have been absolutely terrible, to the point I wish they wouldn't add more. 29 achievements left for me and I seriously don't think I can do them. On trueachievements: 94,325 tracked gamers have this game, 14 have completed it (0.01%). 20 have all the rings. NO THANKS.

Hopefully they make lures buyable with riches or something after a few mods from now. I've not even done the tier one hunt achievements in the first area. The last 3 or 4 achievement lists have been absolutely terrible, to the point I wish they wouldn't add more. 29 achievements left for me and I seriously don't think I can do them. On trueachievements: 94,325 tracked gamers have this game, 14 have completed it (0.01%). 20 have all the rings. NO THANKS.

I made a thread about this same thing on 6/28, nearly 700 views and 32 replies later, still nothing from any moderators or devs. I barely play the game anymore because of this. I am one of those 94k gamers registered on TA and the fact that only 0.02% of TA 's playerbase has unlocked the ring leader, compared with the .01% of all xbox players is atrocious.

It's either astronomically expensive to get, (from comments on the achievement solution, people were paying upwards of 70 SMOP's to whoever placed the lure that would drop a +5 undead slayer ring. That is the EASIEST ring by far and people were still paying the equivalent of five and a quarter MILLION AD for ONE of the FIVE rings necessary for this asinine achievement. The other rings were even more expensive), or you have to essentially be the god of luck to get these to drop on your own.

It's HAMSTER ludicrous. I can't believe even for an MMO that not only someone thought this would be a good idea, but enough people actually agreed with whoever that was that this actually made it past the "completely batshit insane" idea phase.
  • mathnotevenonce#2925 mathnotevenonce Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2018

All things wrong in this game and you are complaining over an achievement. People in my alliance have it unlocked so its not impossible, it seems you want it just handed to you without working toward it. If the devs changed the achievement now it would be a slap in the face to anyone who has done it. You can make excuses as to why its hard to get but its obviously possible.

First, people play games for different reasons. Achievement hunters play challenging games for achievements.

Second, nobody asked for a handout. Don't misrepresent the ask.

Third, Nobody wants to take away their hard work/luck away from them. I have farmed hundreds of hours and have seen 0 +5's from Soshenstar. This seems statistically unlikely for me to ever achieve. And it's not for lack of trying. So I'm irritated that I spent that much time for no result. I'm not asking to take away anyone else's achievement. Just make it possible, make it grindy, add DKP, add whatever, just make it possible even if it's a significant time effort.

Fourth, when you say "obviously possible", you assume that you can get the rings, it's just amount of time. However, based on the true nature of RNG and lack of any sort of DKP system, it could just as easily be considered impossible to ever achieve no matter how much time you invest for the lifespan of this title. So that point is moot.

EDIT: Looks like there's a thread merge, but the point stands
    Is it really that much to ask to just get an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that you are aware of this issue and whether or not you are going to do anything about it? I mean ffs I'm not asking for this to get fixed tomorrow, christ I don't even care if it's not in mod 15. Just TELL me whether you're going to fix it or not.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

Is it really that much to ask to just get an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that you are aware of this issue and whether or not you are going to do anything about it? I mean ffs I'm not asking for this to get fixed tomorrow, christ I don't even care if it's not in mod 15. Just TELL me whether you're going to fix it or not.

What issue? It's not impossible, just hard.
  • sengir0#3465 sengir0 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    what they should have done is give the achievement to people who gets all of the rings no matter what + is.

No it is not "just hard". It is statistically unlikely for this to ever be obtained without spending thousands of hours or tens of millions of AD. Not everyone who plays neverwinter has that ability. It is a tri/quad-layer RNG based achievement with the final layer having a 1% or less drop chance. If you want to make it "hard," (which in this game means a grind apparently), make it so I can at least buy the god damn lures with these useless chultan riches or one of the other 500 currencies that are apparently necessary for some indiscernible reason.

Don't act like you know what trying to get this achievement is like when you clearly don't.

what they should have done is give the achievement to people who gets all of the rings no matter what + is.

Dude I would even be happy with them changing to having to get all tiers of all rings but at least one had to be a +5. Getting all +5's is ****ing ludicrous.
  • fastestslugfastestslug Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I like the achievement. Adds a real challenge to the game. Besides why do you care so much about this one achievement I looked at your account and you're at like 60% completion for games on your account.
    edited August 2018

No it is not "just hard". It is statistically unlikely for this to ever be obtained without spending thousands of hours or tens of millions of AD. Not everyone who plays neverwinter has that ability. It is a tri/quad-layer RNG based achievement with the final layer having a 1% or less drop chance. If you want to make it "hard," (which in this game means a grind apparently), make it so I can at least buy the god damn lures with these useless chultan riches or one of the other 500 currencies that are apparently necessary for some indiscernible reason.

Don't act like you know what trying to get this achievement is like when you clearly don't.
    It's a stupid achievement. The world is not going to come to and end if it is not achieved. And if someone's does, then I truly feel sorry for them.
    Post edited by omegarealities#7219 on
    edited August 2018

I like the achievement. Adds a real challenge to the game. Besides why do you care so much about this one achievement I looked at your account and you're at like 60% completion for games on your account.

It doesn't add a challenge to the game. You want a challenge? Do MSVA with no one dying. Do ToNG with no one dying. Grinding for thousands of hours or spending millions and millions of AD is not a challenge. Since when is luck equated to challenge?

Even though I don't need to explain my completion percentage to you, look at how recently a chunk of my games were started and the fact that the recent ones all have one or two unlocked if you're really that concerned.
    edited August 2018

It's a stupid achievement. The world is not going to come to and end if it is not achieved. And if someone's does, then I truly feel sorry for them.
    If you don't care about it good for you. Don't bash other people for wanting something that is this ridiculous to be changed.
    edited August 2018

If you don't care about it good for you. Don't bash other people for wanting something that is this ridiculous to be changed.
    I'm confused about where I bashed anyone. I do truly feel sorry for people that feel the need people that feel the need for "perfection". I don't know about other people, but I play games to have fun.
    Post edited by omegarealities#7219 on
  • mightyspire#6343 mightyspire Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Wow guys, I didn't post this so everyone could attack each other, peace, love and harmony. Sorry if you are being attacked but I just wanted to know a question, not for the community to start fighting each other SOB :(