test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Notable changes to Warlock and/or Tiefling in the last few years?

dyingtolivdyingtoliv Member Posts: 5 Arc User
I have only played this game abit on Xbox afew years back when it was featured for F2P games. For me personally, having an affinity for dark natured things, I immediately saw the race of Tiefling and class Warlock, no second thoughts and was enjoying it.

Anyhow, since afew years ago and being on PC now; has there been any notable changes I should be aware about? Buffs, nerfs, reworks (Design changes) to the class and the race I love?

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Warlock as DPS got wrecked in Mod 10 and the class was increasingly rare throughout mod 12. Mod 13 this winter brought a fair number of buffs but mostly to the Temptation path. Temptlocks are fairly well in demand as a substitute for a second cleric in dungeons and in their own right in trials. However if you desire to play as a pure DPS spec, your prospects are less stellar.

There have been no changes to Tieflings, still a great race to play for spellcasters.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • yirarax#1742 yirarax Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    That is not to say though that you can't do damag anymore, just that you're going to be a bit behind everyone else.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I main a warlock, and refuse to give her up. :)

But what @pitshade said is pretty true... though in my opinion.. i think warlocks got hammered before mod 10.

My warlock runs a Hellbringer Fury build while doing solo content and some group content.
    But, if I want to get into the newer dungeons/skirmishes... I had to make a Hellbringer Temptation build.
    Even then, you are still going to need a fairly high item level, say upper 14k maybe even 15k.
  • dyingtolivdyingtoliv Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I have no idea what mod 10 and etc means but I am familiar with terms of item lvls.

Thats a shame to hear, sounding like they're rather under powered right now. Do you guys think it was called for or have they always been kinda on the relatively weak side?
    Warlock has had a lot of bugs since they were introduced. Some were good and some were bad. The class did alot of damage because of the good bugs. Eventually, the Devs fixed many bugs, including ones that let the class deal damage and little or nothing was done to compensate for this.

There is also a lot to do with power creep and how buffs work. Warlocks don't have the same mechanics that some other classes benefit from, meaning that they don't benefit from power creep the way that other classes have. Damage Over Time effects like Creeping Death don't work very well when boss fights are shorter. Burst damage, such as provided by DPS Guardian Fighters is a lot more effective now.
    This information is kinda demoralizing for me to actually wanna play the game again if its really so bad for Warlocks =/
    If you want to be top DPS, yeah. If you just want to run as SW and be contributing to the group, it isn't a bad time.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Yeah, warlocks aren't the only ones that are a little demoralized...

Also, Mod 10 is referring to the "Storm King's Thunder" campaign/expansion that came out a little over a year and a half ago.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User

This information is kinda demoralizing for me to actually wanna play the game again if its really so bad for Warlocks =/

Don't worry that you are not alone on htat. The game chang so casters has to be buffers or underperming DPS and melee class get buffed to increase the gap between them and the casters on each mod. As people already said, is not that a good caster can't do damage, the problem is that a good melee with same level of gear and skill with his toon is going to do a lot more.

tomiotar said:

Don't worry that you are not alone on htat. The game chang so casters has to be buffers or underperming DPS and melee class get buffed to increase the gap between them and the casters on each mod. As people already said, is not that a good caster can't do damage, the problem is that a good melee with same level of gear and skill with his toon is going to do a lot more.

So they simply just dont scale that well compared to others as Warlocks should be doing? It sounds like, the devs dont give much attention to Warlock class and balancing classes well
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    @dyingtoliv I wouldn't worry too much about it, honestly. If you are having fun, keep on keeping on. My main is a warlock and my wife's main is a warlock. We tend to run them together and have a tremendous time. Granted, we're not doing things like Tomb of the Nine Gods or Cradle of the Death God right now, but even if we were, we'd be looking to our alliance for those groups, anyway. Both our warlocks are 13.2k item level and we don't struggle in any of the content we run, including Ravenloft.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I agree with @nunya#5309

Like I said, my main is a warlock and a refuse to let her go. Aside from the amount of time, energy, ADs, and so forth I put into her builds... I love the way the character turned out both in a build perspective and by her asthetics... I won't give her up easily.

Plus, with Ravenloft, she finally has the costume pieces I have been waiting for :)

But, that aside, I have taken her through Tomb of the Nine Gods multiple times, but not as dps... as support.
    And she did pretty good, she always did enough dps to contribute, and healing was off the charts.
    And, at Orcus, a warlock is IMO probably the best at being the character to take on the globes of death.
    Because we can shadow slip to them quickly... and in the right positions... you can use Dreadtheft on Orcus while still moving to one of the globes.

She has done Cradle of the Death Gods, a couple of times... mainly becuase im still not very comfortable with the push/pull mechanic at the final boss.

When I run solo content and campaigns... I have her in her dps build (fury) and she is more than capable of handling herself against anything... she solo'ed the Night Terror in Barovia a few times.

The alliance i am in.. we run a weekly Dragonflight event for all alliance members. And she is usually in the top 5 at the scoring.

So... even though we are the "red headed step-children" of Neverwinter, we can still get alot of the class and have fun with it :)