test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will new classes be released?

kryptoherokryptohero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
I've always enjoyed playing a monk in D&D and I'm kinda puzzled as to why it isn't in game yet?

On a related note why is there no Psion yet?

Answers

• kryptoherokryptohero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Also why is there no barbarian?
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Basically their excuse for not any more classes for a while has been class balance. I'm hoping we will see one or two or three new classes this year. Monk, Bard and Druid. I wouldn't get your hopes up of it happening this year. I think its high time they add a new class. Maybe after Ravenloft. Lets hope they will be working towards adding more of the core races and classes in.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited June 2018

I've always enjoyed playing a monk in D&D and I'm kinda puzzled as to why it isn't in game yet?

Doubt they will ever do a psion class. As for why Monk has not been added no class has been added in for many mods. Not after Paladin was added and that was a few years ago. Or a couple I'm not sure. They have been holding it off claiming it is because of Class balance like I said above. They keep releasing mods without adding anything new with classes or races. They should be releasing Gnomes, and other core races, the Aasimar would have been a good choice to add with Ravenloft. I don't think they have any devs dedicated to doing this right now. Or any coders to program the classes or races in. But I hope this changes.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    This is guesswork:
    NW income has been falling->available devs have been reduced->the team is struggling to make the mods they do today

I think most people expect a mod to come with at least one new overland area and a new campaign. That is more or less what they have resources to do.

Would you be ok with a mod that contains a new class ONLY?
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

Also why is there no barbarian?

Put some furry transmutes on your GWF. Ta-da! Barbarian.

Races: I'd love to see them do a Genasi pack. Humanoid shape, so no issue there, with some slight racial differences in stats. I kinda half-expected it to follow-up the EE mod.

Class: Yeah, would love to see something new, and I think it's a given that it'll be one of the big three from the PHB that aren't already present - Bard, Druid, Monk. When? Who knows. Hopefully soon....
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    What are these "new classes" you speak of...?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • nevian#0931 nevian Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    They still can’t figure out how to balance the classes lol. When one of the top DPS classes is a tank...... errr yeah, don’t hold your breath lol!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

They still can’t figure out how to balance the classes lol. When one of the top DPS classes is a tank...... errr yeah, don’t hold your breath lol!

No, and they never will until they figure out that you don't have to balance the classes - you just have to tweak the monsters so that they give every class a challenge equal to they level of the zone. It's easier to tweak the monsters. When you tweak the players, there are sometimes hard feelings.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    After 3 years since they promise to "balance" the classes before bringing a new one you can be certain you will not see a new class. Since that moment the devs staff has been shrinking and they have been providing less and less new content on each mod.

Our last hope for getting a new class was gone when the day that the dev Amenar left the game, he was the last dev that took seriously the changes on the skills and the paragons of the diferrent classes (and he actually took into consideration the player's feedback when doing it). Once he left the game we just had some minor adjustement on the already existing skills of a few classes each mod to change how effective they are, but no new skills nor real perfomance changes.

To sumarize we are stuck with what we have now, the "Comming soon" sign that you see when you create a new toon its a leftover from the pre-mod6 times with previous dev team.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited June 2018

This is guesswork:
    NW income has been falling->available devs have been reduced->the team is struggling to make the mods they do today

I think most people expect a mod to come with at least one new overland area and a new campaign. That is more or less what they have resources to do.

Would you be ok with a mod that contains a new class ONLY?

Probably yes.

Introducing a new class would give us a reason to spend more $$ as there would be more pres wards, coal wards etc. required to upgrade new weapons, artifacts etc.

Class balance is only really critical for PvP. If they did introduce a new class (which I hope they do) it will likely be OP so people are encouraged to play it. No point bringing in a new class that no one wants to play because it is Hamster

Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk Mopnk Monk Monk - I'd hand over $$ tomorrow (actually today) to play a Monk but I think the majority want a bard or druid (although I have no idea why).

Monk - can BIS buff, tank, DPS and at high levels is immune to all CW & SW spells (because CW & SW needs another kick in the guts).
    Monk can also sit in the monastery and pray.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    I think we're at the point of: "What you see is what you get..." We've had more modules without a class addition than modules that expanded class choices. The same could probably be said for races as well.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

I think we're at the point of: "What you see is what you get..." We've had more modules without a class addition than modules that expanded class choices. The same could probably be said for races as well.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, if they'd rolled out a new race and new class with every mod, then they'd probably be out of races and classes to add at this point!
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, if they'd rolled out a new race and new class with every mod, then they'd probably be out of races and classes to add at this point!
    Thats true, the thing is that its has been more than 3 years since the last time they released a class and at the time they announced the OP they knew already which classes were going to be next because they were already working on 2 different new classes (we are talking about 2015). Then we had the Mod6 fiasco so they said they will not release a new class until they "balance" current classes.

As I said that was almost 3 years and they did nothing serious over those 3 years to actually balance the classes, to be honest we are even worse than we were 2 years ago. So its not that they are releasing a new class each mod so they will run out of classes, a new class is a myth since the devs that were developing those new classes left the game on march 2015.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    They have said there will not be a new class this year, essentially. Some take that to mean we will get one next year but I feel that doesn't necessarily follow. IMO the important thing to keep in mind is that there is no incentive to commit to anything untill they are actually ready to release a new class. Stringing people along builds frustration but admitting there are no plans would likely drive people away. Either way, the studio hurts themselves by giving a firm answer.

My personal guess is that we will never see a new class unless Cryptic or PWE decide to seriously reinvest in the game (unlikely) or else the property changes hands (very unlikely). As it stands, the staff seems barely able to complete modules and maintain existing content. Adding to that with the major edition of a class would stretch them to the breaking point.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    If anything they should be removing classes, and I am saying this only half jokingly. As everyone knows, class balance is non existent, so perhaps the best approach is to start removing classes and make the game work with fewer classes which should be easier to achieve.

If you don't agree, then what exactly do you want this class to do? The only thing that matters in this game is dps (and it is doubtful this new class will be able to outdps the GF or GWF anyway), that being the case it is cheaper for both the developers and the players to just use some fashion items and pretend you are playing a monk/bard/psion/etc.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    pitshade said:

They have said there will not be a new class this year, essentially. Some take that to mean we will get one next year but I feel that doesn't necessarily follow.

Completely agree. I don't think they're able to plan in that kind of detail that far in advance. I think the best they really have is about a rolling 12 month window into where they're going. Anything further than that is hamster dung and fantasy.
  • shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Class balance in a mostly-PvE game (the PvP in NW sucks pretty bad) is almost entirely a fool's errand. There is no need for class balancing in a team game, because each class has its own strengths and weaknesses, that's pretty much all there is to it. So, instead of trying to figure out how to make every class balanced (which would only eventually destroy the fun of the game, actually), work on making each class shine at its given role, and make new classes that shine in their roles as well. The only balancing that really needs done, is within the roles. And, that isn't all that hard to do.

I think the problem is that they have only a few people working on NW, versus how many most MMOs have. They just don't have the manpower to put behind doing all that needs done (even though they make money hand-over-fist with NW, and can easily afford more people working on it)
  • I would suggest the Werewolf class:
    werewolf class would be a speed/damage class with the ability to regenerate twice as fast as others outside of battle, with one of the skills your speed would triple for 15 seconds but damage will be lowered by 15%. An other skill would lower your damage by 10% but cut the damage you receive in half. one of the special features would be the ability to transform into the lycan form of the werewolf (so maybe a nice thing to put a new race together with this class? like werewolf race+class automatically together?).
    "Werewolf" isn't a class. It's a curse.
  • dude, werewolf can be a class as well, being born a dragon-like creature would be a curse to you to if they start hunting you for being a monster.
    Dude, you're supposed to hunt the monsters and stop them from monstering.
  • humans kill eachother since ancient history, who are the monsters now huh? and dragonborn are monsters to if your gonna be like that, yet, it is still a race we can play. didnt really think about that huh? pleas think about what your writing since you have over 2000 posts. its not cause you look different that your a monster, many of the creatures we call monsters in the game are actually "monsters" that help us, are allied to us and we even help them so i guess your view on the subject "monster" is a really general view.
    You know, the worst thing anyone ever did was make monsters relatable. Friendly puppy dog werewolves. Helpful vampires. No, sorry. You don't talk to evil. You destroy it.
  • your no different than any of em, just cause you dont understand something doesnt mean its evil. the unknown isnt evil, learn the facts and than react again, your only gonna embarrass yourself even more by writing nonsense like you just did. Just respect others opinions or dont react at all.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    I'd be happy if they made a new class that would make PvP TRs tremble ;)
    I aim to misbehave

your no different than any of em, just cause you dont understand something doesnt mean its evil. the unknown isnt evil, learn the facts and than react again, your only gonna embarrass yourself even more by writing nonsense like you just did. Just respect others opinions or dont react at all.

That door swings both ways.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    No group or species can survive if they destroy themselves. So no group or species perceive themselves as evil.

So what is then good or evil?

It is more a question being on your team and not on your team.
  • wd1966wd1966 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    Taking a step back at classic D&D rules, there are 9 core classes, archer, thief, cleric, wizard, fighter, monk, bard, druid, and paladin. NW was started with 4th Ed rules and during the first year, became a hybrid with 5th Ed rules. As long as the story, game, and adventure content is fun and engaging, I think more will continue to play.

As for the 5th Ed rules, we are limited on how many new classes can be added, specifically, bard, druid, and monk. Having already done bard and druid companions, making them into classes does not look as bad as some have implied (hint: devs). The 5th Ed rules sets the info on improving the companion profile into a character profile for us to romp through as much or as little from Level 5 to 60.

To me, the question becomes, "where can we adventure after Ravenloft?" This harkens back to story, game, adventure content. Food for thought.